PDA

View Full Version : camera swing headaches

fugitive alien2
07-05-2005, 21:07
long time D2 player just starting out, and i'm running into a problem that is incredibly annoying. when you hold down left click to direct your run with the mouse and then stop, for some reason the camera wants to do a wild, usually unpredictable swing to the right the instant you let go of the button. this happens even in open terraine so it has nothing to do with the camera wanting to avoid obstacles. it DOESN'T happen when you quick click on a spot to run to, so i don't see why it has to happen when you hold down left click to run. is there a way to stop the camera so it doesn't swing when you stop??? if not i consider that a serious game flaw at this point, hopefully something that can/will be corrected. it makes it very hard to keep track of orientation when you're trying to do things with precision.

Pakman
09-05-2005, 03:24
The camera isn't too hot at following behind when you lead yourself like that, you can fix it by either using the WASD or if you hold down both the left and the right then you can steer with the mouse same as if you were holding one of the direction keys. Tbh, fact is this isn't a 2d isometric game so trying to adapt a control system exactly the same was going to be difficult. I love the system that is in place.

fugitive alien2
09-05-2005, 03:45
i don't mind how the camera follows while you're moving, that works as well as can be expected. the wild left/right camera swing when you stop is clearly a game flaw though. i've played numerous games with similar 3D cameras including all the zeldas, and have never had this problem before.

i hate having to use wasd to move because it limits your precision in directional changes compared to moving by holding down left mouse click, but i guess i have no choice.

AnarkiNet
09-05-2005, 03:53
try clicking on the ground where you want to go. works fine for me. right click and drag to pan the camera around.

fugitive alien2
09-05-2005, 04:26
try clicking on the ground where you want to go. works fine for me. right click and drag to pan the camera around.

that is very limiting in precision with which you can move compared to holding left click. i just spent 3+ years playing D2 holding down left click for a charging paladin. having to move by clicking on one spot (or using wasd) feels like going back to stone age.

RushD
09-05-2005, 05:06
..why dont u start complaining about not being able to keep clicking on the monstery your attacking......ive played d2 for almost 4 years total and this system is way better than clicking the mouse all night and mom tells u to quiet it down

Killax
09-05-2005, 05:08
i've played d2 for a long while and i got no camera problems with this so far

fugitive alien2
09-05-2005, 05:26
..why dont u start complaining about not being able to keep clicking on the monstery your attacking......ive played d2 for almost 4 years total and this system is way better than clicking the mouse all night and mom tells u to quiet it down

that has nothing to do with what i'm talking about.

when you left-click run and stop the camera should at least try to center behind you so your view is looking forward. INSTEAD IT DOES THE OPPOSITE. it frequently swings to a side or even a backwards view so you can't see what's in front of you. there is no reason it should do that. it's obviously a game flaw.

Corrodias
09-05-2005, 05:38
yeah, until it's fixed, you'll have to use another method... i usually hold the right mouse button and run around like it's an FPS. in fact, if you zoom in all the way, it -is- first person. :)

RushD
09-05-2005, 05:44
that is very limiting in precision with which you can move compared to holding left click. i just spent 3+ years playing D2 holding down left click for a charging paladin. having to move by clicking on one spot (or using wasd) feels like going back to stone age.
???????????huh

Asia Skyly
09-05-2005, 21:40
Give it sometime. It really takes a little bit to get used to it. Of course the most important key is the right mouse click, but I found these other two keys to be important.

1. R for Autorun. I know it has nothing to do with the camera, but if you find an angle you like, it will hold it steady.

2. X for 180 turn. Somehow, this repositions the camera behind you. Two quick X presses and the auto run, might aid your camera headaches.

Hopes that helps... :happy34:

salokin
11-05-2005, 01:33
i don't think your camera problem is really a bug, what i think is that while you are holding left click to move and then stop the camera treats it as if your character was rotated while the camera goes back to the position it was in before the run (Hoprfully this makes sense)

flick
08-02-2006, 13:50
I'll need to try all of these, I too am getting that horrible camera swing upon stopping. I'll be heading towards an npc and let go of the mouse button so I can click on him/her, ans the camera swings around so I can't even see them.

Zaxares
08-02-2006, 23:16
I press R to activate the autorun and then hold down the right-mouse button to change the camera angle (and the direction my character is running). Try that.

flick
09-02-2006, 13:48
hmmm, that wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

Timtimmeh
09-02-2006, 14:00
Or how about zooming right in to first person view. There sorted. You will always see in front of you.

End.