PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Mesmer - Build Help?

dopplex
09-05-2005, 19:21
I have my character up to level 12 at the moment - one more mission until Lion's Arch (Done everything solo with henchbeings so far)

The idea I'm trying to build around for the character is to use two core types of skills: DoT and Skill Prevention

Unfortunately, since I still have a large number of skills to uncover, I don't entirely have firsthand experience with some of the skills.

So, I have some questions:

1. Is DoT damage along with skill prevention viable? In PvP, I mostly see myself as a healer killer - tag the monk with dots, then either stop or make it very painful for him to do anything about it.

2. Does Apply Poison stack with Poison Arrow? I assume that the DoTs from either of these will stack with my Mesmer ones, but am not sure about the two poison skills.

3. Does Apply Poison work on non bow weapons (The skill description doesn't seem to imply that it's bow specific)? I think this build is relatively energy intensive, so if I can get away with it, I'd love to use a caster weapon and offhand item for the energy bonus. Obviously, I'll assume that poison arrow is bow specific. This also means that I'm primarily reliant on the mesmer skillset for my interruptions (In hindsight, I probably should have gone Me/Ra, as fast cast is likely to be more useful to me, but no way I'm starting over at this point! I'll just make the Me/Ra as a PvP character after I've unlocked everything)

4. How will this do in PvE? I anticipate that once I get a more complete set of DoTs and other skills, I'll be doing a very fair amount of damage to single targets. While I doubt I'll be ableto really solo solo, I'd like to be able to function with a minimal set of hirelings (Healer + pet would be ideal, but healer + fightertype + pet wouldn't be too bad

5. I found a shortbow with increased poison duration. Since I won't be relying on actual bow damage much, should I just stick to this once I get my hands on my poison skills? (An Expert Salvage Kit would give me a chance to get this mod on a bowstring, but also a chance to not get anything, right? Is this mod at all rare?)

Thanks!

MaximumSquid
10-05-2005, 06:19
i'll be taking on your list of questions in order. Hope my knowledge helps u :happy34:

#1: Pretty much any build works, but in different situations. Working damage over time and skill prevention doesn't seem to really combo together. Also if you use both in battle your mana will hit zero pretty fast. If might be better if you specialize in one. If you do this you'll be able to free up more skill space to really make use of your skills.

#2 poison arrow and apply poison do stack, but i mean it also doesn't do anything. you can only poison a target once so if you hit them with poison twice it will only go for which ever lasts longer. (Poison and Disease stack though, Stack Very well)

#3 yes you can use Apply poison on a normal weapon? is it worth it? It was discussed in a forum that while its a novilty its really not worth the 15 energy. Also since poison doesn't stack for each hit you'd be most likely using apply poison to hit multiple targets which doesn't work very well with a melee hero. Even if you used something like Cyclone axe its still not worth your time. Your Attribute points are better spent elsewhere.

#4 In PvE since most of the mobs are the same unit you'll SUCK! unless the group your fighting has a caster in it you'll be pretty much dragging your team down. I wouldn't let this get you down though. Most people are specialized and their is always a mob that gives people problems.

#5 Increasnig the poison length won't really affect your characters ability to be effective very much. You might want to think about getting a zealous bow string since your mana is most likely going to be on the low side.

dopplex
10-05-2005, 18:05
Okay, so rethinking it a little... My primary goal is to take casters - especially healers - out of the battle. So I've moved to a mostly Energy Denial type of build, with a few interrupts built in. Not much damage in it, but Serpent's quickness could easily be swapped out for another damage skill or another interrupt (Backfire, perhaps). Quickening Zephyr could also be swapped out, if it's not very compatible with teammate builds.

This is my first real build attempt, taking into account attributes and all, so I'm sure there are some holes... There's a decent amount of redundancy in the build though, and the three skill lines I'm specializing in I think offer a good amount of utility for swapping things in and out to fit specific situations.

Skillbuilder v2.0 output

Primary Profession: Ranger
Secondary Profession: Mesmer

[Items]
+4 to Wilderness Survival

[Attributes]
Expertise: 1 + 0 (1)
Wilderness Survival: 10 + 4 (61)
Domination Magic: 10 + 0 (61)
Inspiration Magic: 11 + 0 (77)

Total Points Used: 200

[Skills]
1) Power Leak (0.250/20/10e): If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and target foe loses 20 energy.
2) Energy Drain* (1.000/20/5e): Steal 17 energy from target foe.
3) Energy Tap (3.000/20/5e): Steal 13 energy from target foe.
4) Power Drain (0.250/25/5e): If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and you gain 23 energy.
5) Apply Poison (2.000/12/15e): For 12 seconds, enemies struck by your physical attacks become poisoned for 15 seconds.
6) Troll Unguent (3.000/10/5e): For 10 seconds, you gain health regeneration 10.
7) Serpent's Quickness (0.000/45/5e): For 29 seconds, recharge times for your attack skills are reduced by 33%. Serpent's Quickness ends if your health drops below 50%.
8) Quickening Zephyr (5.000/60/5e): Create a level 9 Spirit. For creatures within its range, all skills recharge twice as fast as normal and cost 30% more energy to cast. This Spirit dies after 142 seconds.

moonos
10-05-2005, 21:51
Hey i am a ranger/Mesmer as well

and i mainly concetrate on my bow attacks, the only mesmer spell i use is Backfire, because that just obliterates mages\healers

I use the Following skills:

Lighting Reflexes: for 8 seconds, i evade, melee and missle attacks, and attack 33% faster

Healing Spring: everyone 2 seconds i get healed for 38, lasts 10 seconds

Comfort Animal, and Charm Animal, self explanitory, i have a Melandru's Stalker

Backfire: Owns

Ressurect Signet: really helps when im with groups

Apply Poison: this works better then Poison arrow, because with this ever shot you do is a poison shot, unlike poison arrow, is a skill and will waste more energy then apply poison if you wanna use it alot

Barb Trap: triggered if enemy gets close to it, hits for a piercing 47, and cripples, and makes opponent bleed for 14 seconds. Now this skill is great, if i got some meleers chasing me i jus set up this baby, and they run into it, and i let my cat tank them while i obliterate them, and they die cast, cause of the bleeding.

GoingIncognito
11-05-2005, 18:20
I'm a level 13 Ranger/Mesmer, and I use the following skills most of the time (with some juggling depending on the mission or area)

Penetrating Shot
Power Shot
Dual Shot
Ignite Arrows
Chaos Storm
Energy Burn
Backfire
Shatter Hex

Chaos Storm works great on bunched up enemies and backfire is a no brainer if you'll be facing casters. Shatter Hex was a recent addition to my skillbar since my teammates kept getting hexed. Energy burn is a good way to do decent damage to armored enemies (ignores armor). Empathy is usually on my bar as well, but not currently.

I pretty much only carry Dual Shot to use with Ignite Arrows, otherwise I'd switch those out for Hunter's Shot for the bleed, and whatever else I feel I'd need for that particular mission.

I still have plenty of skills to unlock, so of course this is a build in progress.

dopplex
12-05-2005, 19:36
I'm a level 13 Ranger/Mesmer, and I use the following skills most of the time (with some juggling depending on the mission or area)

Penetrating Shot
Power Shot
Dual Shot
Ignite Arrows
Chaos Storm
Energy Burn
Backfire
Shatter Hex

Chaos Storm works great on bunched up enemies and backfire is a no brainer if you'll be facing casters. Shatter Hex was a recent addition to my skillbar since my teammates kept getting hexed. Energy burn is a good way to do decent damage to armored enemies (ignores armor). Empathy is usually on my bar as well, but not currently.

I pretty much only carry Dual Shot to use with Ignite Arrows, otherwise I'd switch those out for Hunter's Shot for the bleed, and whatever else I feel I'd need for that particular mission.

I still have plenty of skills to unlock, so of course this is a build in progress.

At 15 Ra/Me, I've been going with primarily Mesmer skills for my damage
Wilderness and Dom are where my points go - Inspirations will get a lot more when I get to endgame and start PvP

The Ranger skills I tend to keep on my bar for PvE are Apply Poison, Healing Spring, Serpent's Quickness, and Troll Unguent. Empathy, Backfire and Chaos Storm are primary damage, and I keep Conjure Phantasm there in spite of cruddy illusion skill because being able to give a boss health degen of 10 is useful.

I've tried using Epidemic with this setup to spread poison, but it seems like the range it spreads effects to is tiny - around as large as the range that Chaos Storm covers.

shuffm
13-12-2005, 20:02
Choosing your build totally depends on the mission or make-up of your group...not to mention PvE and PvP.

I have only been a R/Me and have been level 20 for a long time. I just don't have any interest in being anything else. I'm also mostly a PvE player.

I have tried many variations of builds and tried to find one consistent build to play with all the time, but it's just not as effective as switching up. Sometimes this means going out and getting killed once or twice because the enemies will quickly tell you what skills you need.

I love being an anti-caster, interrupter...but try getting caught in a cluster of foes that are pummeling you with physical damage. Ha.

I have always gone with very high Expertise (like 11 or 12) because it really saves the energy, and I can pretty much exclusively use skills. I also use the Druid's set of armor for max energy. Energy is critical when using lots of skills and spells.

One thing that I like to do is get in range, hit the enemy once and lay down a trap. They run into the trap, I back up and go to town. This works good on monsters that like to come up on you. It also works best when there's not too many warriors or pets to keep the monsters from approaching. I like the dust trap the best because it causes the most damage and blinds them, so you have more time to get out of the way. It costs 25 points of energy, but its only like 15 for me because of high expertise. Add the regeneration from the time you put it down to the time they set it off and you back up...you have plenty left over. Other traps work fine. This technique also protects the casters who are typically behind or along side me. So, obviously wilderness survival is important to maximize your traps.

If they hit the trap and keep going for the casters, a Chaos Storm will clear them out of the area...or they will die pretty quickly if they don't.

Trap + Chaos Storm will do some major damage and protect your casters...and yourself. However, chaos storm alone...still will back monsters out of whatever area you want to protect.

I pretty much always stick with Domination magic, too. I haven't found much use for the others at higher levels except the mantras to protect against certain elements.

I keep marksmanship as high as possible, too (like 11 or 12).

I have jacked up my beast mastery in the past and had some success dealing damage with pet using feral lunge, call of haste, marksmanship skills, and some domination magic...but primarily against more physical monsters who don't descend on you in one heap or cause you too much grief with hexes or spells.

Shatter Hex is great to remove a hex from yourself or a party member. It can deal a bunch of damage to anyone in the area, so a warrior or anyone caught in a clump with a hex...shatter hex will help them out and cause more damage to all the monsters than anything else you can do. Hex Breaker is a quick (immediate cast) and cheap (5e) spell that lasts a long time. It will protect you from getting hexed and deal some damage. I like to bring these two along if facing hexers.

Backfire is great. If you know you're going up against casters. It's a death sentence.

Interrupting: Guilt, Power Leak, Power Spike, and Shame all work well. Power Leak and Power Spike have advantages because they reload quicker and cast in 1/4 second. However, Shame and Guilt will work over a 6 second time period, so if you're equipping some distracting arrow shots...you should go with one of the prolonged hexes as a backup to interrupt. Shame targets casters who cast against you. Guilt targets casters who cast on their buddies. Guilt and Shame also steal energy, which can be helpful.

I usually don't travel with troll unguent or res signet because i have found that i don't get the chance to use them. if your healers stink...you're dead. i have been killed many times and never got resurrected to use my signet. that's what monks are for. troll unguent takes too long to use. it's good, but if you've got the right group you shouldn't need it. if you do...hopefully you can take a break from your job...run off and wait the three seconds for it to kick in. healing spring takes too long and is easily stopped. it's just my opinion, but the role of a ranger shouldn't be too heal people. i guess everybody should bring a self-heal, but i just prefer to equip a defense mechanism and run away. dodge, lightning reflexes, and throw dirt are good. i like to use throw dirt if somebody gets in close to me. it blinds them, and i just back up. hopefully by the time they recover, they're fighting with somebody else or dead.

Iginte arrows and dual shot are great together. In fact, it is a good idea to have bows with different elemental damage and equip traps and skills to face your opponents. fire does more damage to ice monsters...etc.

I also use to use pin down and then epidemic. this will cripple the guy you hit and all others in the vicinity. it's a combined 30e (without expertise mod) to do it. if it works, you're set up to deal damage from the outside for a while. it sucks when you miss with the pin down...a waste of 15e.

Hunters shot is pretty good for the bleed. Distracting shot and savage shot are good for interrupting. You'll be surprised how much damage you can save your party by interrupting a few things...like meteors, fireballs, stomps that knock everybody down, and other monster skills and spells that can deal widespread damage.

Empathy is good if you're fighting one thing that is hard to take down. It reloads quick, it can cause good damage, and you can use it when you're blind or in any adverse condition. I usually don't equip it, but it's always good to have at least one mesmer spell that can be used to attack while you're blinded (like Chaos Storm) It is also good to stack on top of Backfire. you can usually hit most casting monsters with both right away and move on to your next target while they kill themselves.

I have found that unless you are playing PvE and using henchman, any spell that takes longer than 3 seconds is hard to do without getting left behind. You're constantly on the go, so a lot of those spirits are useless.

playing PvP, the best thing you can do is take out casters. lock on to one use interrupts and bring a defense skill and/or something to help you run away. you may also want troll unguent, too, if you can't stay together. a trap is good to take care of encroaching warriors.

Pve...deal damage or interrupt. ignite arrow with dual shot is good. a couple interrupts. a spell or two for damage. a trap.

doesn't leave much room for a pet. if you interrupt, forget about the pet.

Arctus Redryn
14-12-2005, 03:45
Though I do not have a Ranger/Mesmer (my Ranger is a Ranger/Warrior :happy05: ), I know of one. From my observations of his ranging, Ranger/Mesmers are good at interrupting. There are many good Ranger interrupt skills, as do Mesmers. Mesmers are also well-versed in energy denial. Thus, Ranger/Mesmers are nice anti-spellcasters, since the Rangers can interrupt and deny the spellcasters energy.

shuffm
15-12-2005, 20:20
Got to a place in the game, where I used a signet of capture to get an elite skill called Barrage.

It allows you to hit up to six foes adjacent to your target at the same time! Plus damage modifier. It only costs 5 energy and recharges in one second!

The ONLY downside (ha) is that it removes all preparations. SO, alas...it cannot be stacked on top of Apply Poison or Ignite Arrows or any other preparation.

Combine it with Lightning Reflexes and a Short Bow...you're talking MAJOR damage done VERY quickly.

Ok...so I did end up having to take some Troll Unguent with me and Healing Spring...got to some tough places, and needed the healing.

Between the damage, interrupt, and traps...I've gone pretty much totally ranger skills. I'll switch out for some mesmer skills when i need them.