PDA

View Full Version : Necro/Ranger Build, Fun or Not Feasible?

yahoo
09-05-2005, 22:07
This is obviously Theorycrafting because I'll be getting the game this week, but I was thinking about building a

Necro/Ranger focusing on Death Magic and Marksmanship.

The idea is to have a bunch of friends (your undead army) tank for you, while you'll have fun firing away at them and doing some good damage.

I think that this build was be good for mobs and even vs bosses because your bow could dish out the damage.

What do you guys think? Any information/addition links would be greatly appreciated. :happy65:

Desmodas
10-05-2005, 00:34
I am using a Necromancer/Ranger build. My thoughts were along a differnt line though. I am focusing on black magic and Beast Mastery with Markmanship on the reat.

My idea was to kind of have a little army as I go. The only problem is I have to refrain from using any other powers since the energy drain from animating the dead is taxing.

I think Putrid Exposion is a riot.

Im Bogus
10-05-2005, 19:07
i would rathe use traps than bow...and blood istead of death. this way u have the life control, mob control, and single boos too...

this_barb
10-05-2005, 23:02
You could focus on DoT hexing and spreading conditions, more of a support rule but it would still own.

Powercat
11-05-2005, 20:01
I am a Ranger/Necro and since the beggining of my carreer (I'm level 12 now) I've used about 4 necro skills and very sparingly, so rarely that I just took em out and now I'm pure ranger. I'm trying to experiment with the real life usage of parasitic bond, I've just gotten it. I hope it's good for beating up monsters

EvilSage
11-05-2005, 23:32
I have a lvl 16 N/R and I only use necro skills... I mainly took the ranger aspect in order to have a creature with me to help me out... now I just rais bone minions to do it

this_barb
12-05-2005, 09:44
imo, they complement each other well.

like this build that focuses on DoTing enemies (purely pve)

1. Enfeeble
2. Faintheartedness
3. Hunter's Shot
4. Poison Shot
5. Troll Unguent
6. Comfort Animal
7. Charm Animal
8. Resurrection Signet

Enfeeble and Faintheartedness both have fast cooldowns, you can lay the hurt once you've effectively weakened and slowed your enemies. 10 pip Dot by using Faintheartedness + Hunter's Shot + Poison Shot. I'm really not sure how effective pets are, and I'm not sure how good comfort animal would be with a relatively low amount of points into Beast Mastery. If it turns out to be crappy, just go without a pet.

dark3
13-05-2005, 15:24
I am a Ranger/Necro and since the beggining of my carreer (I'm level 12 now) I've used about 4 necro skills and very sparingly, so rarely that I just took em out and now I'm pure ranger. I'm trying to experiment with the real life usage of parasitic bond, I've just gotten it. I hope it's good for beating up monsters

Its pretty obvious that u have to go pure ranger at that lvl because u don't have enough points to make the usage of two different attributes possible. Me too I'm N/Mo and never used a monk skill, but at higher lvls (17-20) u'll see the difference.
I think a R/N or N/R can be really nice for going solo but IMHO if u usually go with a party its maybe better focusing on something else(e.g. death magic or blood magic) as u'll already have some tanks in the frontlines...
Obviously its a question of preferences and play style but that's my suggestion ;P

goblintrain
13-05-2005, 15:59
This is obviously Theorycrafting because I'll be getting the game this week, but I was thinking about building a

Necro/Ranger focusing on Death Magic and Marksmanship.

The idea is to have a bunch of friends (your undead army) tank for you, while you'll have fun firing away at them and doing some good damage.

I think that this build was be good for mobs and even vs bosses because your bow could dish out the damage.

What do you guys think? Any information/addition links would be greatly appreciated. :happy65:

If you plan on going this route, i highly recommend you craft some Bloodstained Boots once you get to Henge of Denravi in the jungles of Kryta. This item reduces the cast time of your corpse spells.

Another route you can go, especially if you are wanting to use Matrksmanship, is to go ahead and build your ranger skills, and then just use Malign Intervention and Vereta's Gaze for building your minion army. I have always wanted to use these skills in a build, but never did because it took two slots. However, in this build it might actually be a good approach, since Malign Intervention helps at finishing off a target, and the combo spreads the minion cost over a period of time, giving you more flexibility to do other things in between.

Another thing - i recommend it anyway, but especially if you are working with minions, put points into Soul Reaping. This is the key to maintaining rour energy in minion building, because they give back energy when they die.

Good luck!

ShadisLecrou
13-05-2005, 20:22
I'm not sure about a death/marksmanship combo. I mean, I'm sure it would work OK, but because of the long cast time of your death skills, you're not firing nearly as many arrows. And your energy drain from the death skills means you can't use as many bow skills.

With N/R, I'd either go with Curse/Marksmanship, or Death/Beast Mastery. Curses will help you take down enemies faster with your Marksmanship. Beast Mastery will add a more durable minion to your lineup.

Aria Darkstorm
14-05-2005, 17:36
I play a Marksmanship/Beast Mastery/Curses combo and it works good i think that the Death magic is actually more harmful than useful and blood magic... the only good skills that ive seen are the vampiric Gaze and touch moves...

yahoo
15-05-2005, 18:10
Thanks for everyone's comments. It looks like Death Magic/SR and Marksmanshipis a tough build to sell, but the challenge might be fun. Otherwise, I can always redistribute my points <thank you GW>.

I might try the build that GoblinTrain has suggested and see how it goes. Looks like I won't be able to get on for another week however... <the wait is really killing me>.

yahoo
13-07-2005, 20:33
Hello again,
So here are my thoughts on the build. If you want a large army, it'll almost be impossible to have marksmanship with it. It's not so much a attribute issue in as much as a time issue (for me anyways). As on overlord, I spend most of my time either raising minions or healing them with veratas sacrifice and blood of the master. If there is a boss, then part of my time is spend poisoning the boss. Inbetween all of this, there's little time to fire off arrows because by then you have to heal your minions again.

That's my thoughts, I do enjoy the versatility of a n/r though. I've been able to convert my guy to a full marksman/curse ranger for high damage, and also switch the build around to a trapper ranger. All in all a very fun character to play with, though i do like the overlord build mainly cuz it's fun to have lots of friends.

Seras Deschain
14-07-2005, 01:23
You know I was just thinking about changing from N/Me to N/R to test out a build I have had in mind. It would max out attributes in Blood and Wilderness Survival and put the rest into Marksmanship. Start out with your bow and when the battle starts apply poison and pin down your opponent. Then switch to the 20/20 collectors staff from desert and use life siphon and life transfer when needed and suck the health out of the opponent while they have the maxed out -10 degen for a good while. This is just a thought I had. Anyone ever try a build like this or similar and would like to share their experiences with it?

EDIT: Also, was thinking of possibly using concusion shot to be a pain in the arse to the spellcasters and monks so they can't heal themselves while taking pretty good sized damage.

Warskullx
14-07-2005, 04:25
Avalanche Build, one enemy dies and then it snowballs PvE build

12 Death (+4)
11 Beast
8 Soul Reaping (+1 or +2)

Skills:
1) Deathly Swarm
2) Vile touch, Dealthy Chill, Necrotic Traversal, Soul Feast, or Consume Corpse
3) Putrid Explosion
4) Well of Suffering
5) Rotting Flesh
6) Tainted Flesh
7) Symbosis
8) Edge of Extinction

Open by dropping symbosis and spamming tainted flesh. Your team now has 100+ extra HP and and large amounts of your enemies will soon be diseased. Then select a cluster and spam deathly swarm on them, softening your first corpses. I often times use well of suffering with my first corpse, other corpses spam putrid explosion (120+40/death from edge.) With putrid and edge of extinction the damage stacks up fast. 2-3 corpses are enough to send a large cluster of monsters rapidly spiraling to their doom. Optimized for clusters of similar enemies that have corpses.

Examples of prime targets:
Avaricia in mineral springs
Dwarf missions (thunderhead)
Those massive dwarf clusters in the frozen forest
Grawl by port sledge

My guild mates used to doubt this build until they got slaughtered by avaricia and I was the last man standing. A single necro vs a cluster of 10 avaricia. I draw the avaricia into position, throw up a well of suffering and then mix soul feast and putrid explosion to keep myself alive and kill all 10 avaricia in short order and then proceed to wipe out another cluster on death's door due to edge of extinction.

cake mix
18-07-2005, 00:59
im thking about making this build too but no marksman ship only wilderness survivel on the ranger side.... apply psn then swith to staff or somthing and minion come to play