PDA

View Full Version : DPS over 30 Seconds?

Diceclock
09-05-2005, 22:13
I think it's time to see how we all pony up. So I'd like everybody to list their total DPS over 30 seconds. I'm not asking anyone to give away their build, but I think it'd be fun to see how we compare. I'll give you my specs along with the questions. If you can't answer certain ones don't worry about it.

For AoE spells, assume an average of 2 targets.

1. Total DPS (Damage per Second) over a 30 second period?

2. Total Exhaustion

3. Total Mana used

4. Any bonus affects like knockdowns or interupts or snares etc...

My Answers:

1. 1500

2. none

3. 86

4. No

SprintFun
10-05-2005, 02:04
I think it's time to see how we all pony up. So I'd like everybody to list their total DPS over 30 seconds. I'm not asking anyone to give away their build, but I think it'd be fun to see how we compare. I'll give you my specs along with the questions. If you can't answer certain ones don't worry about it.

2. Total Exhaustion

3. Total Mana used

My Answers:

1. 1500

2. none

3. 86

4. No

You do 1500 DPS? Damn...I don't even compare :o Or do ya mean 50 DPS over a 30 second time span? I have no clue what I deal...

this_barb
10-05-2005, 08:46
1. 855
2. None
3. 90
4. Knockdown 15 seperate times

ChasingSafety
10-05-2005, 13:24
I seriously doubt you can dish out 1500 DPS over 30 seconds. Maybe 1500 damage, but not 1500 DPS. 1500 DPS over 30 seconds = 45000 damage, and I'm pretty sure that's impossible over that time.

Diceclock
10-05-2005, 15:42
I seriously doubt you can dish out 1500 DPS over 30 seconds. Maybe 1500 damage, but not 1500 DPS. 1500 DPS over 30 seconds = 45000 damage, and I'm pretty sure that's impossible over that time.

Yes I meant I do 1500 Damage over a 30 second period. 45,000 damage would be a bit over powered ya think? :happy34:

So come on guys, pony up your builds and lets see where we all stand. This thread could be a wake up call for lots of us.

Lord Gargoyle
10-05-2005, 16:25
how do i calculate that? i am not idiotic enough to measure that with a clock and count the damage numbers or so.
also that number is quite vague and i rather not use it as a comparison. i would use a spammable one target spell for one target then a aoe spell except for bosses. so if you have 5 targets and use aoe you do more damage. this number is void for me.
:confused:

Diceclock
10-05-2005, 16:39
how do i calculate that? i am not idiotic enough to measure that with a clock and count the damage numbers or so.
also that number is quite vague and i rather not use it as a comparison. i would use a spammable one target spell for one target then a aoe spell except for bosses. so if you have 5 targets and use aoe you do more damage. this number is void for me.
:confused:

First off, this is a PvP forum, so forget "Bosses" and mobs. I said at the top, assume 2 targets for an AoE spell. AoE range is tight in this game, and people aren't stupid like mobs, aka they won't bunch up in packs of 5, and they won't stay under Damage over Time area of effects for very long.

Take your best set of spells, your ideal casting order. Measure up total cast time and recast time. For example, say you have 2 spells....

Spell 1 does X damage, and has a cast time of 2 seconds, and a recast of 5

Spell 2 does X+50 damage, and has a cast time of 3 seconds, and a recast of 10.

Over 30 seconds, if you spammed spell 1, you'd get it off every 7 seconds. That means you'd get in about 4 casts over 30 seconds, so the damage off spell 1 is 4X. You'd spend 4 casts x 2 sec per cast = 8 seconds of casting time of your 30 seconds.

Over 30 seconds, you'd get spell 2 off every 13 seconds, which means you'd get 2 casts in 30 seconds, so the damage would be 2(x+50). You'd spend 2 casts x 3 sec per cast = 6 seconds of casting time of your 30 seconds.

(8 seconds of cast time used for spell 1) + (6 Seconds of cast time for spell 2) = 14 seconds of total cast time used

So if you want to factor in Spells 3, 4, and so on, you can, until your total cast time = 30 seconds

Lord Gargoyle
10-05-2005, 16:59
" this is a PvP forum"

no its not. its a general strategy forum for elementalists. the pvp forum is at the bottom of the strategy forum.

as for your calculation you need to think about max energy and energy regen, too. otherwise the damage over time is too far off. ;) :)

Diceclock
10-05-2005, 17:30
" this is a PvP forum"

no its not. its a general strategy forum for elementalists. the pvp forum is at the bottom of the strategy forum.

as for your calculation you need to think about max energy and energy regen, too. otherwise the damage over time is too far off. ;) :)

Your absolutely correct I appologize, I got my forums mixed up a bit.

My build takes energy regen into account. I didn't want to ask to much about energy use and regen and the like because I didn't want people scared to give away too much of their template.

Obviously your 30 second DPS can't exceed your maximum Mana pool + 30 sec worth of Regen.

phatdawg
10-05-2005, 23:31
Heh..just saw a spammer build with 1400+ dmg in 20 seconds with no net energy spent. Try and top that :winking47

It's not my build actually, and yes, it is in the forum. Just need a little tweak, and you can get that number.

As far as mine: 527 dmg in 5 seconds. Energy spent ~ 40.
30 seconds is kinda long don't you think? In PvP, 30 seconds can decide the winner and the loser of a deathmatch.

Jonaku
12-05-2005, 18:36

2. Total Exhaustion

3. Total Mana used

My Answers:

1. 1500

2. none

3. 86

4. No

The problem with this analysis is that you fail to specify:
(1) whether the damage is pre- or post-armor mitigation
(2) whether the DPS is uniform or fluctuating over the 30 second period

To elaborate on point #1, some warriors can mitigate 70% of damage or more with armor and enchantments and skills. So your 1,500 pre-armor damage to them is really 450 actual damage. Then take into account some health regeneration of 6 points per second over 30 seconds, your actual damage falls by 180 down to 270. Then take into account 100 points of healing over the 30 second period and your 270 damage is shrugged off as an annoyance but nothing life threatening 170 damage.

Someone else might do 300 armor-ignoring damage with health degeneration and prove far more effective than 1,500 pre-armor damage.

You should specify where damage is armor ignoring, and break it out separately from armor-mitigated damage and then specify upfront your armor mitigation assumption.

To elaborate on point #2, someone might do 1,500 damage smoothly over 30 seconds which is 50 DPS. But with health regen bonuses, armor, enchantments, signets, skills and heals, that 50 DPS is not too impressive. On the other hand, if you do only 1,000 damage, but within that 30 second period, there's a 4 second period in which you're doing 150 DPS (600 damage within 4 seconds), that might be good enough to overwhelm any healing or health regen and push that opponent over the edge into death.

So I would suggest you amend the framework to include:
-- specify how much of damage is pre-armor damage
-- specify how much of damage is armor-ignoring damage
-- combine the 2 damages together and assume armor that mitigate 70% of all pre-armor damage
-- within the 30 seconds, specify the period of time with the highest DPS (combining pre-armor and armor-ignoring) and how long it lasts for