PDA

View Full Version : bear bear bear

goatsong
10-05-2005, 05:54
i had a brief go with a buddy trying to tame one in wizard's folly today. i cannot get it to work. i am trying the "cast charm just as it's leaving your range" method but what happens is either the bear is still in range and breaks the charm, or it's out of range so i run IN to range and then it breaks the charm.

can anyone who's done this give me some more specific tips?

even better if such a person is feeling particularly charitable...come and help me do it in-game? :D

Desmodas
10-05-2005, 06:14
Yeah, I have tried this several times, and have not been able to do it.

goatsong
11-05-2005, 08:07
:confused:

Fox shadow
11-05-2005, 08:41
lornar's pass is where i got my bear. which is a hellava lot farther than wizard's folly. and don't expect to live. i took henchies and lots of dodge/run skills avioded the lvl 22-24 mobs and charmed the first bear i saw, died rezed and got back to town.

Tarew
11-05-2005, 10:21
I just got my bear yesterday! :D Mostly thanks to my sisters brilliant skills with the Warrior.
From what I found out, the "out of range" strategy doesn't work at all. The bears break charm range is quite a lot longer than your charm animal range and when you charm him he'll just stop and break the charm.
I'm fairly sure that the only way to tame a bear in pre-Searing is to use the Faintheartedness, Bane Signet, Hammer Bash way using a Ranger/Necromancer and a Warrior/Monk.
It's EXTREMELY hard (it's probably one of the hardest things you'll do in the entire game actually since it requires absolute PERFECT timing from the Warrior/Monk) to pull off and took me and my sister about an hour and a half and about 30 tries overall I think but it does work :)
And the bear is definitely worth the effort I can assure you ;)

goatsong
11-05-2005, 23:34
I just got my bear yesterday! :D Mostly thanks to my sisters brilliant skills with the Warrior.
From what I found out, the "out of range" strategy doesn't work at all. The bears break charm range is quite a lot longer than your charm animal range and when you charm him he'll just stop and break the charm.
I'm fairly sure that the only way to tame a bear in pre-Searing is to use the Faintheartedness, Bane Signet, Hammer Bash way using a Ranger/Necromancer and a Warrior/Monk.
It's EXTREMELY hard (it's probably one of the hardest things you'll do in the entire game actually since it requires absolute PERFECT timing from the Warrior/Monk) to pull off and took me and my sister about an hour and a half and about 30 tries overall I think but it does work :)
And the bear is definitely worth the effort I can assure you ;)

alright, thank you. guess i'll go after a piggeh instead then :D

goatsong
12-05-2005, 00:44
lornar's pass is where i got my bear. which is a hellava lot farther than wizard's folly. and don't expect to live. i took henchies and lots of dodge/run skills avioded the lvl 22-24 mobs and charmed the first bear i saw, died rezed and got back to town.

but lomar's pass is post-sear, right? and don't post-sear bears lack the 'brutal mauling' skill?

Hunt3r_kill4
12-05-2005, 01:14
but lomar's pass is post-sear, right? and don't post-sear bears lack the 'brutal mauling' skill?

No, they are all the same I think

goatsong
12-05-2005, 06:21
No, they are all the same I think

oh, that's encouraging. thank you. i'd thought pre-sear bears were something special. :)