PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Bow Strings ?

mezdef
10-05-2005, 13:27
im a Ranger / Monk using smiting prayrs like Judges insight to do holy damage, im currently using "Short Bow of Marksmanship", 14-27 damage, damage 14% while enchanted, marksmanship +1 (16% chance while using skills)

when i can i plan to get the barrage skill, as soon as somone finds it lol

im wondering what bow string i should put on my bow to make it more effective in general, i thaught of zealous, but i read some posts on the leeching strings and people said they did more harm than good in general, so just looking for some recomendations from experience

thx for any help :)

Nairax
11-05-2005, 01:42
I think what you're looking for is a Sundering bow strike... the extra % armor penetration will be helpful

Hunt3r_kill4
11-05-2005, 06:22
im a Ranger / Monk using smiting prayrs like Judges insight to do holy damage, im currently using "Short Bow of Marksmanship", 14-27 damage, damage 14% while enchanted, marksmanship +1 (16% chance while using skills)

im wondering what bow string i should put on my bow to make it more effective in general, i thaught of zealous, but i read some posts on the leeching strings and people said they did more harm than good in general, so just looking for some recomendations from experience

thx for any help :)

With the leeching bow strings, they reduce the regeneration in exchange for 1 energy per hit. All in all, you will be losing energy esp when you are not in combat. I would say some elemental bow string would be nice, depending on how often you use your bow. Judging from your skills, I would say do not go with armor penetration considering you will spend much of your time casting?

mezdef
11-05-2005, 10:23
since armour penetration will be covered by judges insight and penetrating attack, im thinking an elemental string, any recomendations as to what element ?

{BK}Gileren
11-05-2005, 16:14
since armour penetration will be covered by judges insight and penetrating attack, im thinking an elemental string, any recomendations as to what element ?

if your wanting as much Armor piercing as possible then get the sundering bowstring.

since you are going to have judge's Insight on you, that turns all your attacks into Holy Damage, so there is no point in picking an elemental bow string because it will be negated by Your Judge's Insight enchantment.

so in Combo w/ Judge's Insight your best bets are Sundering bow string if your going to take on people with high armor (mainly Warriors), or to get Poisoner's bowstring if your going to make use of Apply poison/Poison Arrow.

and if your build doesn't focus on either of those and you want to take out casters instead then take your pick of Vampiric or Zealous.

Nairax
11-05-2005, 16:49
In my experience Judge's Insight doesn't work on bows, anyway.

Unless you count regularly hitting the same creature for the same damage before and after casting the spell 'working'

{BK}Gileren
11-05-2005, 18:54

Unless you count regularly hitting the same creature for the same damage before and after casting the spell 'working'

Do you remember what you were hitting when you came to this conclusion? if it was undead that would be why, because they have next to nothing for armor so armor penetration would be negated since there is nothing to penetrate...

"With the leeching bow strings, they reduce the regeneration in exchange for 1 energy per hit. All in all, you will be losing energy esp when you are not in combat. I would say some elemental bow string would be nice, depending on how often you use your bow. Judging from your skills, I would say do not go with armor penetration considering you will spend much of your time casting? "

As for this ^ that is incorrect you don't lose energy when not in combat, you get -1energy regeneration, and if you have leggings equipped you get +1 energy regeneration, and if i remember correctly rangers (not sure about other classes) get a Base energy regeneration of 2... so 2+1-1=2 so your not losing energy when not in battle, your just not regenerating as fast is all- and i do believe that +1 energy per hit well makes up for this slightly slower regeneration.

Keizer Soze
11-05-2005, 21:27
First of all, anyone telling you that a Sundering bow string should be put on your bow is wasting your time. You only get like a 5% chance of increasing AP by like 10%. Not a good choice in my opinion.

The zealous bow string is by far the best in the game. Sure you get -1 energy regen, but when used with a fast firing bow (i.e. short or half moon, possibly flatbow for long distance) you get added energy in no time.

I use Tiger's Fury (skill) with a zealous half moon with several mods (bow worth over 10 plat though) and I leech energy in a hurry. If I could ever find Barrage Shot this would be even crazier.

If you are forced to use a slow firing bow, then you might not see these type of effects and might decide to go a different route.

I keep 3 fast firing bows in my weapon slots. A zealous, fiery and poisoner's bow depending on the situation.

Most people tend to look only at mods and pay no attention to bow firing rate. You can easily do a search to find the firing rates of all the bows in GW.

Nairax
11-05-2005, 22:19
I'll agree with the zealous bow string thing. I personally only use elemental bow strings, but I've been considering picking up a Zealous or Sundering bow string for fighting other rangers (who take less damage from my elemental bows).

Anyway, I've tested Judge's Insight on Dwarves, Dolyak Riders, Ice Golems, Hydras, etc. I've tested both elemental bows and non-elemental bows (leeching bows, bows with no special strings). I don't believe I've tested it out on Undead yet (who take double damage from holy).

Against dwarves, my average damage is right around 30 with a normal shot from a 15-28 half-moom with vampiric +3. With judge's insight the damage does not change whatsoever. The results are similar for my elemental bows.

Hunt3r_kill4
12-05-2005, 02:50
Do you remember what you were hitting when you came to this conclusion? if it was undead that would be why, because they have next to nothing for armor so armor penetration would be negated since there is nothing to penetrate...

You do know that undead take double damage from holy damage, which would make the difference even LARGER?

Herthbul
12-05-2005, 14:27
I'd go with the Zealous string. Combined with Barrage and/or Tiger's Fury you're looking at very decent returns. Also combined with Expertise the -energy pip isn't going to matter since your skills will cost very little anyway.

{BK}Gileren
12-05-2005, 16:13
You do know that undead take double damage from holy damage, which would make the difference even LARGER?

yeah i know, but i was just on the mindset of armor penetration, kinda forgot bout it...

and the sundering bowstring isn't all that bad, if you get a really good one like Armor penetration +10% (Chance: 1-10%) it is better then the Zealous bow string if you use it at the right time.

TOMMiE
12-05-2005, 16:30

I believe barrage can be found at fisherman's haven... I've had it in a BWE, and I loved it.. a high reccomendation to any ranger :)

Systemz Pillz
12-05-2005, 17:56
you guys are morons, Zealous Bow strings, and Vampiric Bow strings are total crap. i had a 5 lifetap -1 health degen string. and during battle, with a Half moon bow, i lost more health then i gained. i cant even imagine 1 health for every 1 degen, its insaley less mana even with a half moon. do the math as well, half moon is 1.8 delay, 1/3 of 1.8 is .6 so 1 mana every 1.2 seconds, thats TERRIBLE. regular regen is like 3 a second. and dont forget your only in tigers fury about half the time due to other spell casting. so 1 mana every 2 seconds usually. also, if you use vampiric strings, you lose health even while out of battle, so if youve ever ran away from a fight, and started regening really fast, and been thankful for that heal..say goodbye to it. vampiric is so unbalanced and worthless, id go with marksmanship +1 (2% over that crap)

Reikai
12-05-2005, 22:50
actually... i believe 3 blocks of mana = 1 mana per second... >_>

Systemz Pillz
13-05-2005, 01:38
even if thats right, its such a waste, go with poisoners bow string or something useful, kite yourself some loot

Keizer Soze
13-05-2005, 05:33
you guys are morons, Zealous Bow strings, and Vampiric Bow strings are total crap. i had a 5 lifetap -1 health degen string. and during battle, with a Half moon bow, i lost more health then i gained. i cant even imagine 1 health for every 1 degen, its insaley less mana even with a half moon. do the math as well, half moon is 1.8 delay, 1/3 of 1.8 is .6 so 1 mana every 1.2 seconds, thats TERRIBLE. regular regen is like 3 a second. and dont forget your only in tigers fury about half the time due to other spell casting. so 1 mana every 2 seconds usually. also, if you use vampiric strings, you lose health even while out of battle, so if youve ever ran away from a fight, and started regening really fast, and been thankful for that heal..say goodbye to it. vampiric is so unbalanced and worthless, id go with marksmanship +1 (2% over that crap)

Well, I'm not sure how to reply to this post. First, your opinion of vampiric bow strings are fairly accurate to me. I think those are essentially worthless because if you are in the back lauching arrows and not taking any damage then this mod will get you nothing. However, a zealous bow string will gain you +1 energy per arrow hit regardless if you are using any skills at all.

Regardless of what both you and I think about vampiric strings, zealous strings can very easily be the best option in the game for rangers. I have tested every string (that I am aware of) in the game and zealous is by far the best option with a fast bow and Tiger's Fury. I still keep one elemental bow (mostly firey) and a poisoner's bow for when I want to apply poison.

If you are not intelligent enough to grasp the concept of the way in which a zealous (half moon or shortbow) can reap you energy benefits to an energy strapped ranger character, then I guess you better start getting accustomed to the concept of being rezzed :happy34:

RandomEngy
13-05-2005, 22:04
Does anyone know exactly how much the "increased poison duration" modifier adds to the length of the poison?

ZariusZero
14-05-2005, 09:43
Enery is .333 energy a second per pip. Ranger's have 3 pips, thus 1 energy per second. By giving up a pip, you'd only recover 2 energy every 3 seconds, but if you use a bow that fires faster than 1 shot every two seconds, you're gaining the same net rate in combat. And then you use it with multiple attack skills, or skills that increase attack rate. Like someone said, Barrage is incredible with it. 5 energy to shoot 5 enemies, which gains you 5 energy. Recharge of 1 second.

infoscott
15-09-2006, 20:40

In my experience it does, at least for the x2 damage against undead, can't confirm for the armor penetration. I buffed a ranger with JI in the Kryta mission, and she was hitting the undead for 100-200 points per shot.