PDA

View Full Version : Rangers only: Which is your favorite pet?

Icarus Tyler
10-05-2005, 14:00
Hi guys

I've been wondering for some time now which pet is most popular, so I got up this poll.

For the vote I make no difference between a Moa-bird/Strider or a wolf/snow-wolf. Actually I have no idea if you can tame striders and wolves, never tried it out.

Since we don't have any numbers about pets, staistics would be nice, and if you noticed that some animals are stronger compared to others or do have any advantages, please post it.

To all non-Rangers: Feel free to vote also, just say which pet do you like most.

Kaziurra
10-05-2005, 14:07
Has anyone confirmed that you can have a lizard as a pet? I'd love to see a screenshot of one x.x..

Zanchito
10-05-2005, 14:21
Warthog, for the cute and goofy factor.
If you could have them in different colours, a bright pink, yellow or green chocobo would be nice too.

- The Evil Twin, Mo/Ra with Evil Sidekick warthog pet

EmperorDecker
10-05-2005, 14:40
I have a snow-wolf, love him, the constant howling makes my rl dog go crazy ;) I've seem ppl with the Lizards, if I think about it next time I'll grab a pic for you.

As for my fav pet, it would have to be OINK! The best Tank ever. (shame you have to give him to that dam kid)

OldPete
10-05-2005, 14:43
I say wolf, because I like wolfs :)
I dont know if you can tame the lizards, wanted to get one for my elem/ranger concept "Dragonson" but could not find one so no chance to try :(

Btw, something for rangers:
How do you solve the quest in post-searing where you have to get one of those stalkers to the trainer?
Since I havent seen a wolf in post-searing and since I want no moa bird as pet, I dont know what to do, I need to get rid of my loyal wolf just to get one of those cats to complete the mission.
I wonder if it is possible to attack the cat and then lure it to the trainer....
If anyone has solved this quest and can give me a tip, please let me know

Lord Fatile
10-05-2005, 15:00
Gave up Lvl 13 Stalker for Lvl 5 Snow Wolf just cuz they sound and look better. Wolf is now Lvl 16 and he is HUGE. Came close to dumpin him for a Black Bear but think I will pass on it. My Wolf has been the last thing alive on a few of the harder quests (IE oops should have went slower) when we all have dropped. Wolf is tuff.....

mappam
10-05-2005, 15:11
So Far I have only had a Stalker - so I can't really say.

But - if I understand this - you need to sell your existing pet to a trainer - then you are "pet-less" while you find a new one - right?

Then they all start at lvl 5 (when new)? So how fast do they level to get up to the point they start to be usefull? Lort Fatile - you said you got a wolf and it is now Huge - Did it Grow?

And - again from what I have read - if I sell my Stalker - I can Never Get Another Stalker??

I am confused as to How It All Works.

wulff
10-05-2005, 15:58
Wolf all the way baby! (according to the poll, not terribly original, but oh well :rolleyes: )

BTW, Oldpete, I restarted my ranger just to go back and get a wolf and just abandoned the pet missionl. You still get to keep the abitilies, just don't get the XP. I don't know if you can complete that in Post Searing.

moonos
10-05-2005, 20:42
here are the facts:

Bear is the strongest out of them all, but also is the slowest
The Cats, Lynx, Stalker, are very fast, and still do decent damage
Wolf: Is somewhere in the middle of the two

Personally I like Melandru's Stalker :happy14: , aka Hellcat (my pets name)

they attack really fast, and if you have decent amount of beast mastery, they can tank very well, mine is at 6, and it does good

Bottom line, Bear is just fat and slow :P

And i dont know about lizzards, they jus look goofy to me, same goes for warthogs

Corrodias
10-05-2005, 21:38
So Far I have only had a Stalker - so I can't really say.

But - if I understand this - you need to sell your existing pet to a trainer - then you are "pet-less" while you find a new one - right?

Then they all start at lvl 5 (when new)? So how fast do they level to get up to the point they start to be usefull? Lort Fatile - you said you got a wolf and it is now Huge - Did it Grow?

And - again from what I have read - if I sell my Stalker - I can Never Get Another Stalker??

I am confused as to How It All Works.

1) you have no pet while you are looking for a new one

2) as far as i'm aware, they all start at level 5. given the difference in level between 5 and whatever youre fighting now (usually 13's for me), they should level up quickly. much faster than you, especially, since youre so much higher already. it should catch up eventually.

3) you can get another stalker. you can't get THAT stalker back, but you can get a fresh one (from the western size of Old Ascalon).

Desmodas
11-05-2005, 00:04
1) you have no pet while you are looking for a new one

2) as far as i'm aware, they all start at level 5. given the difference in level between 5 and whatever youre fighting now (usually 13's for me), they should level up quickly. much faster than you, especially, since youre so much higher already. it should catch up eventually.

3) you can get another stalker. you can't get THAT stalker back, but you can get a fresh one (from the western size of Old Ascalon).

You dont have to give up your pet if you already have a stalker. Just go back up to the contact and he will award you the XP. He doesn't take your pet. As far as I can tell, only Jeral takes him, if you want to give him up.

GammaRay
11-05-2005, 01:42
Kaziurra : Yes, Dune lizards are confirmed! Here's some pics of mine.

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=343747

That post has the pics in it.

Corrodias
11-05-2005, 02:54
You dont have to give up your pet if you already have a stalker. Just go back up to the contact and he will award you the XP. He doesn't take your pet. As far as I can tell, only Jeral takes him, if you want to give him up.

heh. he wouldn't even acknowledge mine. it was the same stalker as i had from the beginning of the game, and i had renamed it. anyway, he just ignored it. :(

i abandoned the quest and its piddly rewards.

Desmodas
11-05-2005, 03:18
heh. he wouldn't even acknowledge mine. it was the same stalker as i had from the beginning of the game, and i had renamed it. anyway, he just ignored it. :(

i abandoned the quest and its piddly rewards.

Now that you mention it, he did ignore me at first. I initially thought there was no way I would dump my stalker just for such a small amount of xp. Hours later, while review my quests, I noticed it was crossed off. I doubt naming him will matter, but you could always name Melandru's Stalker again, get the pathetic XP and move on, I only did it to get the quest off my list.

Hunt3r_kill4
11-05-2005, 05:33
Has anyone confirmed that you can have a lizard as a pet? I'd love to see a screenshot of one x.x..

Im positive you can have lizards as pets. I saw a screenshot of one on the forums some time ago, and I'll see if i can dig it up

As for pets, I think bears look awesome trailing behind their owner.

Azrus Revell
11-05-2005, 14:55
Hey.. where's the option for the Pink Panther!? :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/AldosAC/PinkPanther2.jpg

Tarew
11-05-2005, 17:28
Spent one and a half hours with my sister catching a bear in pre-Searing Ascalon yesterday with my new Ranger/Necromancer and I have to say he's worth all the effort and more. I'm fairly sure bears are the toughest pets (his hitpoints seem to go up about evenly with my own and so does his armor) and I'm 100% sure they do the most damage (plus they're very cute too ;) ).
I'm level 10 right now as is my bear and my bear does the same damage as I do with my default bow attack without me using any skills on him.
If I start using pet attacks with him he mauls down stuff rather quickly :)
He does have slow attack speed but this can be easily overcome using Call of Haste. Plus Bears have Brutal Mauling :)

redhead
12-05-2005, 12:35
Hello there. I just wanna ask, if its possible to name your pet - and how to do it .)
Thx

soul seeker
12-05-2005, 14:51
Hello there. I just wanna ask, if its possible to name your pet - and how to do it .)
Thx
Read me (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=343321) :happy34:

Delbiter
18-05-2005, 12:04
I like the moa with its machine gun peck attack :D

Zero
18-05-2005, 12:30
I voted bear, i've had cuddles (yes i know but its a funny name seeing him maul someone with a name like that lol...:rolelyes: ) since the first day of early access. Took me a good 30 minutes to try and capture him in regent valley but i soon got him. His levle 18 now and is nice and big, hits hard. With call of haste on (which can be kept on permantly) he has a very nice attack speed as well.

Arin Birchwood
19-05-2005, 00:11
Has anybody tried to charm the bunny on the mountain above Ashville-PS?
Or a moss spider for that matter?
I am sorely tempted to create a new character just to check this out....
*Kyrr Bannogh* is what I'll call him.

I just got back my original stalker when doing that mission. :thumbsup:

/idea It would be fun to see all the pet's of rangers in a town frolicking in a pen somewhere, instead of them being tied to a handy tree or crystalspire outside the towngate. :D

Rekit
19-05-2005, 04:50
Has anybody tried to charm the bunny on the mountain above Ashville-PS?
Or a moss spider for that matter?

While both the bunny and the moss spiders are 'green' named creatures, neither can be tamed, had a friend try the bunny, and I was a bit peeved to give up a rather advanced stalker to attempt the spider, only to be told those cannot be charmed because "That's not an animal"...

Otherwise, I voted for my Bear, pretty much agree with what Zero posted above, with Call of Haste on constantly he appears to run and attack at same speed my Stalker did, but the cat never did that cool 'stand-on-hind-legs-and-Brutal-Maul', at lvl 14 you can see him take a noticeable chunk out of the beasts HP bar... a natural-born Tank companion, just what a Ranger needs :thumbsup:

GammaRay
19-05-2005, 06:03
Nope, the Moss Spiders aren't tameable...but the spiders in The Underworld are. And they START at level 20 down there. The handful of people that got them say they're very powerful.

I voted Dune Lizard. Seriously, who can say no to having Godzilla (mine) aid them in battle?

Arin Birchwood
19-05-2005, 17:22
Actually after posting I created a new ranger and tried the bunny.
You are right. The prized hogs are also not a correct target by the way.

Why block the charming of these creatures?
Iwould have loved to have a bunny as pet.
Probably useless in a fight though, unless it was trained by Monty Python.

sdpenaloza
19-05-2005, 17:40
I like my snow wolf - his name is odie :D

PvtSnowball
20-05-2005, 05:46
i chose the lizard coz mixed with my ability to poison creatures go down doubly fast when he hits em with bleeding :happy53:

hotdogtesting
20-05-2005, 06:33
If you want the ultimate pet, it is the strider all the way. Nothing beats that psychotic bird!

(Granted, he's probably the most tame of all the pets now...)

Wobbs of undead monkies
22-05-2005, 21:52
hey u missed off normal wolf :P some might say its the same well my normal wolf is larger than the snow wolves and it was same lv lol ah well musta been a bug who knows lol i know they grow as its up to me shoulders now his name is Knight an he kills people....:)

skygoneblue
23-05-2005, 00:10
I like my snow wolf - his name is odie :D

Where do you find Snow Wolves? I have been in Post-Ascalon for quite a while now and I still haven't seen one.

Feynt
23-05-2005, 00:30
Snow wolves can be found in the shiverpeaks area. The first ones can be found just outside of Yak's Bend. They're more prevailant the farther into the shiverpeaks you get.

I vote for the warthog. Oink for teh win!!1

Hmm, no love for the lynx yet. >/

botrytis
23-05-2005, 00:56
You forgot one - a Stryder from Ascalon before the searing. It is just like a Moa Bird except the bird also kicks as well as pecks. I have one with my Monk/Ranger who is lvl 15 and the bird is lvl 14 (tamed it a lvl 1).

Dave

skygoneblue
23-05-2005, 02:06
Snow wolves can be found in the shiverpeaks area. The first ones can be found just outside of Yak's Bend. They're more prevailant the farther into the shiverpeaks you get.

I vote for the warthog. Oink for teh win!!1

Hmm, no love for the lynx yet. >/

I can't find either of those on the map...can you give me a big landmark that they're NSEW from?

TheCheech
23-05-2005, 02:57
You forgot one - a Stryder from Ascalon before the searing. It is just like a Moa Bird except the bird also kicks as well as pecks. I have one with my Monk/Ranger who is lvl 15 and the bird is lvl 14 (tamed it a lvl 1).

Dave

Has your Stryder incresed in size like the other animals

I am Rain
23-05-2005, 07:57
does anyone know if the pre-searing wolves and snow wolves are identical. I want to know so i can decide whether i should ditch my pre-searing wolf or not

AnarkiNet
23-05-2005, 08:24
you forgot black widow spiders from the underworld. :)

elsydeon
24-05-2005, 05:12
i voted against pets, when it dies your skills are disabled for a while (died a few times that way), makes them good targets in pvp:)

Tazmin Dragonsoul
24-05-2005, 12:29
Hello :howdy:
I prefer the stalker, tried the wolf but it just dont look the same, i'm gonna keep mine, well until I can find out whether or not you can tame a drake, which I heard is poss later in the game, now that would be a cool pet lol.
:happy14:

GrimmFury
24-05-2005, 13:06
1..bear

2.. lizard (believe it or not was better than a wolf)

3... a wolf

that was playing 2 to 20 on wolf (charmed pre sear,,,grew up with it "1 to 20 me/ra"ending with 14 in beast)

5-20 on dune lizard with 14 in beast (20 me/ra)

5-17 on bear with a 12 in beast...(my a 16 ra/mo)

Icarus Tyler
24-05-2005, 15:12
First of all, thx to you all for participating in this poll!

I haven't added th strider to the list because he looks exactly like the Moa Bird. But I added lynx, who differs at least in his look from the stalker.

Btw, why has nobody voted for Lynx? I love those cats. I'll surely swap my Stalker against one (and if nobody likes them, it's a reason more, makes me special :) ).

I also haven't added the spiders because i got to know of them after I created this thread. Also the thread about them was a bit confusing, because the author said he captured a spider, then he said he faked it and then somebody else said it's possible. Gonna see if I can get one on my own (before I get my final lynx :) ).

TabasaMeow
06-07-2005, 08:49
I voted for the Lynx. I think they are underappreciated. I prefer their look to the stalker's. They actually look like small tigers :D

The wolf probably would have been my favorite, but they just went with such an unattractive design. Wolves can look so much better than that. I just can't get over the hump.

I have a bear now, but I want a Lynx...I just can't afford the time needed to raise it from 5 to 20, especially because I rely on BM. I don't just take a pet along for on reason.

oney
05-08-2005, 06:54
Lizards all the way..Spiders would be my second selection then Wolves thats it.

Vashant Lefeyn
05-08-2005, 08:17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/firestarter18x/sandtrout.jpg

Dune Lizard for life.

Mookle X
05-08-2005, 15:15
I like the wolf, not the snow wolf, the plain old wolf. I have one named Hunter but I haven't officially named him cause I want to see his evolution. Me and him have been together since the beginning before the evil Searing. I love how he howls every once in a while. He is level 10 and really strong. He hates those mean charr and likes to bite them :happy34: