PDA

View Full Version : ranger/elem build help

Dreaded
10-05-2005, 21:08
i am trying to get help on what skills to use for this character. i was gonna do air magic with conjure lighting and maybe chain lighting, also power shot, troll unergant, read the wind, and distracting shot. any suggestions? what to add and what to take away ect.

THANKS!

Ravanous
18-05-2005, 07:55
Well, I'm a 20 R/E and I've tried every element except Earth so far.

I'll describe my encounters

Fire: I've concluded that this is only a PvE element. Mostly AoE, fire just makes it easy for people to move out of the way.. mainly because the AOE doesn't follow. Mobs are stupid so, of course they don't move too much:)

Air: Direct damage, Good for PvP... one of the best skills for ele costs 5 energy (Gale [knocks foe down for 3 seconds, instant cast, 5 energy]), Chain Lightning kinda blows in PvP.. I know I may get flamed for this--But hear me. Rangers ARE the assassins in this game. We kill one person fast. 40-100 damage (usually around 65-75) to 3 people at MOST isn't worth it to me. Not only does it cost 10 energy but it causes EXHAUSTION. The 25% armor pierce for each direct damage attack is good, though. Does damage to tanks, that's a start.

Water: This is what I'm in right now. It's a close match between air and water for me... but some of these water skills, are just extremely godly when used with ranger skills. I can't say too much about this yet, but it's looking promising. Slowing others 66% and doing AOE following damage sounds quite nice. Stuff like going 33% faster and gaining +36 armor sound EXCELLENT. Maelstorm, does around 30-40 damage per second for 10 seconds while interrupting any spell used, not only that, it FOLLOWS the foe anywhere and if I remember right, does aoe damage too.

What works wonderfully for me.. Air magic must be 5 for this, high marksmanship and requirement of 'poison arrow' or 'incindeary arrow' (both elite skills)...

use:
- Incindeary Arrow (for 8 seconds, each shot catches enemy on fire for 3 seconds (Wilderness survival 12), and interrupts ANYTHING (attacking and spells and skills))
- Gale (knocks foe target down for 3 seconds, if air magic is less than 5, it fails 50% of the time)
- Hunter's Shot (damage, bleeds target for around 18 seconds if they're knocked down or running)

Basically, you knock 'em down, hunter's shot and they bleed, they stand themselves back up to heal themselves or whatever, incindeary arrow puts 'em on fire and interrupts whatever healing they can conjure.. if they run, gale and bleed again.

exilio
18-05-2005, 10:34
Sounds really good Raven. That is one of the reasons I chose the R/E build. Would you mind specifying where you got the skills like gail and incendiary?

goatsong
18-05-2005, 11:15
when you say you've tried every element, is that just by repeatedly using refund points on the same character's skill chart? or do you mean in separate characters?

thanks for the info btw, sounds great.

Kiru Malkav
18-05-2005, 13:00
I tried something similar to that early on, but I seem to have alot of problems dealing out enough damage to kill someone.

I started off with Gale, Hunter's Shot, Lightning Javelin and Feral Lunge (Not got any elite skills yet). The exhaustion seemed to hit me quite hard tho.

I think I might switch to water from what you're saying. My rp character is mostly fire for the AoE spells.

mulzi
18-05-2005, 20:02
"Basically, you knock 'em down, hunter's shot and they bleed, they stand themselves back up to heal themselves or whatever, incindeary arrow puts 'em on fire and interrupts whatever healing they can conjure.. if they run, gale and bleed again."

I interested in how you manage the exhaustion factor with this procedure. Ranger has 25 energy, and you drop 10 from your max on the first gale. Your at 15, and cast it again, your in trouble.