PDA

View Full Version : Henchmen claiming Quest Items?

Brynn Caddoc
11-05-2005, 03:28
I'm not exactly sure if this is a bug, but in a quest requiring you to open a chest ( getting the census for the "Counting the Dead" quest ), a quest drop was given to my Henchmen ( or so I presume ).

What happened was this...

1st time:
- Cleared out the area with 3 Henchmen in my party. Found the chest needed to get the "Census." Opened the chest and nothing appeared.

2nd time:
- Zoned to city, hired 3 new henchmen, and proceeded to return to Old Ascalon to clear the area of monsters as I had done previously. Opened the chest again, and received nothing.

3rd time
- Zoned out again, kicked all 3 henchmen, and loaded up on protective skills. Returned to Old Ascalon, buffed up, and ran my skinny Monk butt past the mobs and opened the chest yet again. Census dropped. Used map to teleport :p.

I haven't seen much else like this, but it makes me wonder if it would make many side quests impossible to do with Henchmen in the party ( i.e. the Bonus Quest for the 1st mission where you need to return those 4 pieces of Armor to the ghost ).

On a similar note, when I was helping a friend do an Elementalist quest, an item drop he needed to complete his quest was reserved to me. It was no big deal, since I just traded it to him after picking it up, but it seems to be a bit of bad programming on the dev's part.

REI ONRYOU
11-05-2005, 14:52
I'd say it was just something that slipped through their fingers. I understand what the problem appears to be and I hope that something will be done about it.

Fallen_62
11-05-2005, 16:23
Henchmen are assigned drops, just like everyone else in the party. And they share gold too. The drops assigned to henchies dont show up because they thought it would be disheartening to see a rare drop go to a henchie.

And yes, they can be assigned quest items. Not sure what is going to happen with that or if they will change it, but im just letting you know.

Thervold
11-05-2005, 20:04
I saw this happen too when trying to get the war machine plans in the shiverpeak mines. After killing the boss, I couldn't find the plans anywhere. I concluded that the drop was given to a henchie. Sometimes I wish the item quests would give one per person. If you all try to do the same quest, you have to rezone to do it again and again until everyone has the item. It's worse with henchies who won't give you the item.

mrscarywasp
15-05-2005, 15:47
lol, ive never had that problem. I have ALWAYS got a mission drop. The only time when i didnt pick one up was the war machine plans. I didnt pick it up because i thought you automatically got it after killing the boss. As such i didnt check for it.

Having said that i will probably suffer that problem next time i log in and play.

draceena
17-05-2005, 03:59
I saw this happen too when trying to get the war machine plans in the shiverpeak mines. After killing the boss, I couldn't find the plans anywhere. I concluded that the drop was given to a henchie. Sometimes I wish the item quests would give one per person. If you all try to do the same quest, you have to rezone to do it again and again until everyone has the item. It's worse with henchies who won't give you the item.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me, I had to do it a second time to get it and fear for every mission that I have to take a henchman and the quest item is a drop.

Lord FireFox Moonchild
18-05-2005, 06:59
Henchmen are assigned drops, just like everyone else in the party. And they share gold too. The drops assigned to henchies dont show up because they thought it would be disheartening to see a rare drop go to a henchie.

And yes, they can be assigned quest items. Not sure what is going to happen with that or if they will change it, but im just letting you know.

Why should drops go to hechmen? They don't even have a use for them, I say they make all drops for the player if they're using an entire henchman party. To me giving drops to henchmen that don't even use them is a huge waste. Especially gold. Furthermore, they dont level up so why should they get 25% of your XP gain? :confused:

Ordo Hex
18-05-2005, 16:18
Why should drops go to hechmen? They don't even have a use for them, I say they make all drops for the player if they're using an entire henchman party. To me giving drops to henchmen that don't even use them is a huge waste. Especially gold. Furthermore, they dont level up so why should they get 25% of your XP gain? :confused:

Playing any game requires suspension of disbelief. So here goes. Suppose you were a henchman (hypothetically of course), someone asks you to help them with a dangerous mission/task would you do it for free? Surely you'd want an equal share of any loot found. I suspect that it's included for game balance and the fact that the henchmen don't level up is just an abstraction that we'll have to put up with.

Taking henchmen along that became powerful as quickly as player characters would probably cause balance issues. Besides, as you progress through the game areas, the henchmen available for recruitment are also more powerful to reflect the more dangerous mobs in that part of the game.

And as for henchmen getting quest items, I have to agree that I would be somewhat peeved. Maybe this will be addressed in a later patch. Getting a share of the loot is one thing, but a henchman getting a quest item that blocks you from completing a quest is quite clearly a problem.

One way around it is to group with human players.

SilentMobius
19-05-2005, 12:00
Well, being that I solo+henchmen most of the time and have never failed to get a quest object yet whereas the ratio of failures should be 3/4 or 4/5 etc I'd guess that quest items do have a "DoNotGiveToHenchmen"-type flag. And that if a specific item appears to have been given to a henchman looks then it may be missing this flag. I'd report the specific item as bugged.

After all, bugs in the item data aren't uncommon and are easy to overlook. Miss ing out a fairly critical section of code I would consider to be less likely.

Chantal Dubois
19-05-2005, 15:17
Yes, reporting which items specifically are going to henchmen would perhaps help the devs.

Lord Anthrax
22-05-2005, 02:11
The War Machine plans have failed to drop for me twice now. DEFINITELY needs to be fixed ASAP. Moreover, if multiple people are doing a quest, I also agree that multiples of the same item assigned to anyone who hasn't completed the quest should drop. Having to do it over multiple times and gamble on whether or not you get what you're supposed to is lame and a waste of your time.

sonofcalculator
24-05-2005, 06:37
I'm rather 'peeved that the henchmen get ANY drops.

I mean, your taking a hit in level, competance, money, and experience when taking them along with you.

It would be much better if you could solo and get all the drops, and none of them go to henchmen.

Warskullx
29-05-2005, 16:49
Really these single drop quests are broken in general. I know the war machine plans and the census are broken where they give the quest item to the henchmen. The royal papers quest out of fisherman's have was broken at one point but may be fixed now.

However all these quests desperately need to be changed so that one item drops for each member. I thought the devs wanted to design this game so that people would group together. These quests have the exact opposite effect. If I go with a full party on blood and smoke I have to run killing the centaur 6 times. Due to this 90% of the parties break up. I will now no longer take people along on single item quests. I simply take the smallest amount of henchmen I can get away with. Heck some of these quests could easily be simplified to "Kill this person and come back to me" instead of "Kill this person, pray you get the item they drop, then come back to me or try and kill them 10 more times if you didn't get the item."

Cyberberus
31-05-2005, 01:26
Yes, reporting which items specifically are going to henchmen would perhaps help the devs.

One of the "Kim" whatever armor pieces seems to go to a henchie fairly often in the Defend the Wall mission for me, annoying to have to restart 2-3 times.

REI ONRYOU
31-05-2005, 10:32
These would lead to farming abuse and a huge rise in prices of everything and imbalance the economy to no end.

Bravo
31-05-2005, 10:52
Last night I did the war machine plans quest with a bunch of humans. I didn't get the drop someone else did. Going back to the quest giver though completed the quest for all that had taken it.

Same with the blood and smoke quest (probably about a week ago now) where only 1 item dropped but it didn't matter as when 1 person handed over the item it completed the quest for all of us...

Phaeax
01-06-2005, 04:52
...although the last three times I've attempted Minaar's Worry, no plans have dropped from Ore Darkwhip. Quite frustrating to get all that way and have to either map out or run back and try again.

I've also had problems getting all four quest items to drop for Kilnn Testibrie's armor during the bonus for The Great Northern Wall. I usually can get the first three locations of wreckage that I try, but the fourth one never dropped. I had to keep the previous three and start the mission again. It may have been due to trying to collect them before talking to Kilnn's ghost though...

Zon2000
01-06-2005, 05:51
In my opinion, a henchman getting a QUEST DROP is a BUG, not a feature! And it's a horrible bug.

I've had to redo the Northern Wall bonus several times over because my henchman got several Kiln quest drops. The first time around, I wasted a significant amount of my time running around back and forth, thinking that I had forgotten one or two wreckage chests. It wasn't until I repeated this mission over two more times did I realize the henchman were getting the quest drops! Of course it was made worse by the fact that the game doesn't inform you what your henchman got. All you get is an empty chest that didn't drop anything.

I'm sorry but this totally bugged. You're making me start a mission several times over because I brought henchman and they got the QUEST ITEMS? Wrong. And don't tell me to party with RL ppl instead. That's not a solution. That's a workaround.

Fix. ASAP.

SilentMoon
01-06-2005, 14:19
I don't know about the rest, but the northern wall mission... you should be able to solo it pretty early. I know my ranger and my monk both did at about level 9.

Mynaar's worry, now that's good to know. I hadn't attempted the second part yet but I guess I'll be on my toes...

mater sparkicks
02-06-2005, 11:46
because then everyone would chose henchmen instead of getting together with other people and mixing and making friends.they want henchmen to be a last resort so they make them exactly like normal players (they can mess up a lot and are pretty crap) and they make them low lvl. :lol:

fionualahlc
03-06-2005, 23:10

Well it wasn't a henchie, but in doing a skills quest with a fellow guild member, my level 13 monk/mesmer, his level 8/9 Elementalist/?... He was doing Shalev's Task quest, a skills quest for Elementalists, but the bottle of Fiery Unguent dropped on The Breach map and which he required for the quest was allocated to me. Since he is my guildmaster, I just traded him and he was able to use this, but really, it should have been allocated to him, so I am guessing this is one that might allocate the quest item to a henchie and probably needs fixing.

Chantal Dubois
04-06-2005, 06:53
In my opinion, a henchman getting a QUEST DROP is a BUG, not a feature! And it's a horrible bug.

I agree with you completely. Sometimes these things take time to track down or it's not quite as high a priority to fix as other bugs.

Zon2000
04-06-2005, 19:20
I should have paid more attention to the thread... I tried Minaar's Worry. And yep, a henchman got the drop because good ol Ore Ironwhip didn't drop a thing.

I will refuse to do anymore quests that require quest drops until this is fixed.

I wasted 25 minutes doing something that will now have to be redone. Grrrrr. What's worse than wasting a decent portion of my scant free time is HAVING TO DO IT OVER.

I think this game is great, but Anet needs to fix this bug. :grrr: :sad44:

DeadUserTyping
05-06-2005, 05:26
Bah to you guys! All you do is blame the henchies! :rolleyes: Think about it! Without those items the henchies wouldn't level. All should Praise Henchmen! :worship: Healer Henchmen.

Drixy
05-06-2005, 10:24
ok, Think about it, if you would get 100% of the items, gold and exp with henchies, do you think any1 would want to team up with other players, couse that would mean less items/exp/gold for him, besides I have never noticed quest item going to henchman, though I've brought several characters way past crystal desert doing all the quests before that, which means doing quite a lot of quests that have quest items, and most of the time I've done them with henchies

MZad
05-06-2005, 16:30
The royal papers quest out of fisherman's have was broken at one point but may be fixed now.

Broken as of today. 4 times, no papers from the chest. Dropping to henchmen

Grrr.

MZad

Telraven
05-06-2005, 16:48
Aha! That's what must have been going on when I was trying for the bonus in The Great Northern Wall mission. Every time I tried I couldn't get all 4 pieces of armor.

Eventually I just did it a couple of times in a row while keeping all pieces from the last time hoping to get the missing one the next time thru. I can now do that mission in my sleep. :rolleyes:

chych
02-07-2005, 16:44
Broken as of today. 4 times, no papers from the chest. Dropping to henchmen

Grrr.

MZad

*Bump*

Still broken as of today, arh, fix!