PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Ranger?

molab
11-05-2005, 10:34
Has anyone tried a monk/ranger?
can you put a little points in Beast Mastery just to have a pet around to annoy? Do they have any skills worth using? And can you effectively use a bow and arrow?
Sorry, it's been 2 weeks and i still haven't decided which to make as my secondary skill for monk >< :P
I wanna be a decent Dmg Dealer when the time calls for it, but i dont mind healing

Taxus Baccata
11-05-2005, 12:47
You need to keep Charm Animal in your skills bar for your pet to be with you. This reduces your available slots to 7.

If you put points in Divine Favour plus one of Healing Prayers, Smiting Prayers, Protection Prayers, your choice. Then Marksmanship and Beast Mastery.

Something like,

Attributes: (cost) '+' indicates Rune attributes
Divine Favor: 9+2 (48)
Healing Prayers: 11 (77)
Beast Mastery: 8 (37)
Marksmanship: 8 (37)

Total attribute points used: 199/200

Skills: [Attribute] (Energy, Cast Time, Recharge TIme)
1) Orison of Healing [Healing Prayers] (5,1,2) Spell: Heal target ally for 57 health.

2) Healing Breeze [Healing Prayers] (10,1,2) Enchantment: For 10 seconds, target ally gains health regeneration of 8.

3) Heal Party [Healing Prayers] (15,2,0) Spell: Heal entire party for 63 health.

4) Read the Wind [Marksmanship] (5,2,12) Preparation: For 12 seconds, your arrows move twice as fast as normal and deal 7 extra damage.

5) Hunter's Shot [Marksmanship] (5,0,5) Bow Attack: If Hunter's Shot hits, you strike for +10 damage. If this attack hits a foe that is moving or knocked down, that foe begins bleeding for 15 seconds.

6) Bestial Pounce [Beast Mastery] (5,0,15) None: Your animal companion attempts a bestial pounce that deals +13 damage. If the attack strikes a foe who is casting a spell, that foe is knocked down.

7) Charm Animal [Beast Mastery] (10,10,0) Skill: Charm target animal. Once charmed, your animal companion will travel with you whenever you have Charm Animal equipped.

8) Resurrect [none] (10,8,0) Spell: Resurrect target party member.

Knock them down with Hunters shot then use Bestial Pounce. Don't forget you can use your Monk heals to heal your pet. It might be better to concentrate on either Beast or Bow as you don't have many skill slots to play with.

zapka
11-05-2005, 16:11
Generally speaking, monk primaries usually are expected to be healers, not damage dealers. So the extra pet, I think, would not help your character much. I also heard that when your pet dies, your skills become disabled for 8 seconds (can anyone confirm this?). And as a healer, that automatically renders you useless. Using a bow may also be impractical since you will find that you will rarely have time to attack. (I am a monk as well, I should know) I carry with me a smiting rod instead, and a divine symbol for the extra energy... which is very useful.

But if you really insist on being able to dish out damage, then I would suggest something from the smiting line of monk skills.

I use Zealot's Fire from time to time (For 60 seconds, whenever you use a skill on an ally, all foes adjacent to your target are struck for 5-37 fire damage.) This basically does damage to enemies around the allies you are healing. So spam those heals and watch the enemies burn.

casserole
11-05-2005, 19:54
I took ranger as my sub-class to gain access to the wilderness survival skills. I wanted these skills to help with my defense; skills like stormchaser, serpent quickness, and dryder's defense. I guess I could even use the trap skills, but I know nothing about them yet. I would have to agree with zapka about monks being healers not damage dealers. If that is what you are interested in, you might want to consider Ranger/Monk. If this is for a PvE character, then you will be able to use a pet as an extra melee shield. But I don't think that having a pet in PvP matches will be much use since anyone given the option of attacking a monk or the monks pet will go for the monk.

gandalfrockman
11-05-2005, 20:25
HUZZZAH!!!
I have been championing the monk/ranger build for a while now! I've been using it for pve and pvp.

1.you dont need to put any points in beast mastery once you get a pet. Since your a monk primary your pet should never die,so you'lll never have to worry about skills deactivating for 10 seconds. You do lose a slot for beast mastery.

2.right now I use a Healing/smiting/marksmanship in pvp, judges insight makes even regular shots lethal. I'm using healing/divine favor/wilderness instead of marksmanship in pve, it works great. Either way I bring a pet.

3.You'll prolly still be primarily a healer. People expect and your more than capable of doing more than 85% of the healing that a pure monk can, and still dish out alot of damage with pets/bows. Not to mention traps.

Basically my skills look something like this, they are always changing but in summary:
1.Heal 1
2.Heal 2
3.Heal 3
4.Rebirth or restore life.
5.Ranger skill 1
6.Ranger skill 2
7.SoC/Miscelaneous enchantments/etc.
8.Charm animal

OH in pvp they will go after the pet first to shut down your spells for 10 seconds.

RandomEngy
11-05-2005, 21:05
I recently make a Pvp Monk/Ranger and did okay. I've got all my points in Healing, Divine Favor and Wilderness Survival. Right before the start of combat I like to set a barbed trap down in case a Warrior takes a liking to me. (They're crippled for 18 seconds, and the barbed trap refreshes in 20 seconds) I also take Dryder's Defenses for the 9 seconds of 75% evasion and +50 armor vs elemental.

deathkid
12-05-2005, 12:18
well..actually i haven got my game..but just wanted to ask around cos i'm really interested in this build

here's my questions..
1)let's say your pet receives damage, can i use healing hands, orison of healing or any other healing spells to recover it's hp?

2)when my pet dies,will restore life or ressurect helps to revive it?

3)when i am in a party, if i use a party healing like divine healing and heal party, will my pet get to benefit from the healing too?

4)Can i cast healing seed/mending/reversal of fortune/shielding hands/Balthazar's aura/shield of judgement on my pet?If healing seed is applicable, does my party members, my pet and ii get to be healed?

5)only if question 2 is yes... then which is more useful--->comfort animal,revive animal or restore life/ressurect? then will Rebirth really brings my pet to my location?

and also..here's wat i have in mind..divine favor10, healing prayers10, smithing prayers5, beast mastery10 total 198/200

Skills
1.healing touch
2.word of healing
3.healing seed
4.restore life
5.watchful spirit
6.retribution
7.call of protection
8.charm animal

well...when my pet fights...i'll immediately cast call of protection cos it last the longest followed by retribution and watchful spirit and lastly healing seed, the energy consumption might be a bit high so unless it's necessary, if nt i might not cast watchful spirit and healing seed. so when it's fighting..i dun have to worry about my pet being seriously damaged. In the worst case scenario, i'll cast word of healing. If everything is going on fine..i'll join in my pet to fight the mobs as well, after that rest until energy comes back again, go look for another mob again...

wulff
12-05-2005, 21:46
HUZZZAH!!!
1.you dont need to put any points in beast mastery once you get a pet.

Why do you not need to put any points into beast mastery? :confused:

More point in the skill means more damage, etc. no?

Darkest
13-05-2005, 07:40
Generally speaking, monk primaries usually are expected to be healers, not damage dealers. So the extra pet, I think, would not help your character much. I also heard that when your pet dies, your skills become disabled for 8 seconds (can anyone confirm this?). And as a healer, that automatically renders you useless. Using a bow may also be impractical since you will find that you will rarely have time to attack. (I am a monk as well, I should know) I carry with me a smiting rod instead, and a divine symbol for the extra energy... which is very useful.

But if you really insist on being able to dish out damage, then I would suggest something from the smiting line of monk skills.

I use Zealot's Fire from time to time (For 60 seconds, whenever you use a skill on an ally, all foes adjacent to your target are struck for 5-37 fire damage.) This basically does damage to enemies around the allies you are healing. So spam those heals and watch the enemies burn.

If your pet dies, all skills are disabled for 10seconds .

DaFuzz
14-05-2005, 13:30
Only ranger skill I ever use in PvE is Dodge. If it all goes tits up and people start falling quickly then just hit dodge and peg it :happy53: . Also handy for getting mobs off you mid fight.

casserole
16-05-2005, 23:53
well..actually i haven got my game..but just wanted to ask around cos i'm really interested in this build

here's my questions..
1)let's say your pet receives damage, can i use healing hands, orison of healing or any other healing spells to recover it's hp?

2)when my pet dies,will restore life or ressurect helps to revive it?

3)when i am in a party, if i use a party healing like divine healing and heal party, will my pet get to benefit from the healing too?

4)Can i cast healing seed/mending/reversal of fortune/shielding hands/Balthazar's aura/shield of judgement on my pet?If healing seed is applicable, does my party members, my pet and ii get to be healed?

5)only if question 2 is yes... then which is more useful--->comfort animal,revive animal or restore life/ressurect? then will Rebirth really brings my pet to my location?

You have to use comfort animal to resurrect your pet, but standard healing skills (at least all the ones I've tried so far) will heal pets. I haven't tried casting protection spells on my pet yet, I only take 1 or 2 into battle and cast them on party members as a result. I will have to experiment and see if protection spells work on pets; my guess is they will.

Mandella Feng
17-05-2005, 20:11
You have to use comfort animal to resurrect your pet, but standard healing skills (at least all the ones I've tried so far) will heal pets. I haven't tried casting protection spells on my pet yet, I only take 1 or 2 into battle and cast them on party members as a result. I will have to experiment and see if protection spells work on pets; my guess is they will.

Protection spells work quite well on pets.

In my experience, if it works on a regular party member, it will work on a pet...

Superlegasy
17-05-2005, 22:56
I have a Ranger/Monk and now seem to spend more time healing than fighting.

gandalfrockman
17-05-2005, 23:37
Why do you not need to put any points into beast mastery? :confused:

More point in the skill means more damage, etc. no?

You just need the charm skill. You dont bring any other beast mastery.

dmg1
18-05-2005, 22:43
Got me a lvl 20 R/Mo. Just got down to teh Ring of Fire. :eek:

IMO if you want to be a healer, don't half-azz it and go R/Mo. You just don't have the energy resources to support it or, perhaps more importantly, divine favor to enhance it. There's just no good reason to not go Mo/R if you want to be a healer. If you want to heal yourself as a primary Ranger you have healing spring and troll ungent(nice) available to you so there no point in juicing up healing skillz attribute points. Also, if you're going primary ranger and want to be effective at dealing damage you're going to need alot of points in expertise and marksmenship. If you go with 8 in marksmenship and none or just a few points in expertise you will deal mediocre damage at best and your skillz/energy will recharge about as fast as a turtle on valium. Mend Ailment/Condition and the General Monk skillz are the only Monk skillz I use because they require no points in any monk attributes. I mostly only use rebirth. I have all my points in Marksmenship, Expertise, and Beast Mastery or Wilderness Survival to do the barrage/tiger's fury combo or some other fun poison arrow shtuff.

Now, on the other hand, I'm just about to start a Mo/R. As someone else mentioned, there are a slew of fun Wilderness Survival skillz that a healing monk could use. Troll ungent, healing spring, all the evasion techniques, and nature spirits would compiment a dedicated healing monk's role nicely. I gotta say though that choosing beast mastery as a healing monk is a bad decision IMO. In all my travels I have yet to see a pet that doesn't die...always, let alone do any kind of significant damage. Besides that, from what I can see, being a healing monk requires a whole lot of micro managing. I don't think you can be an effective healer, keep your pet alive, and do damage with your pet all at the same time., though I haven't tried it myself. :)

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you're going the R/Mo or Mo/R route don't be jack of all trades and master of none. You're just not going to do the group any favors.

JoDiamonds
18-05-2005, 23:58
In general, jack of all trades isn't very effective in Guild Wars.

I'm missing using a focus for more energy with my Mo/R, when I have a good bow and Marksmanship instead. If I ever find some better Wilderness Survival skills, I may try that route instead (and give up the bow for some random wand).

Feynt
19-05-2005, 00:34
Actually you can use Revive Animal to bring your pet back without disabling all of your skills. It also brings back friendly pets nearby who belong to other rangers in the party. You get it at the Ice Tooth Caves, NW of the Frost Gate mission.

I believe in game it says that Beast Mastery increases your pet's health, as well as damage. Combined with a simple pet skill (like Feral Lunge) your pet can do some damage while you heal (as pet attacks are like warrior stances, they can happen regardless of spells being cast).

SilentMoon
19-05-2005, 20:18
I play a monk with a pet too... a few precisions:

First, when your pet dies if you revive him with comfort animal you will get all your skills disabled for a short time. Also, you can't revive him with common resurect spells as he's not a party member but an ally. Haven't got to getting revive animal yet. :x

As for skills, I usually find useful to equip feral lunge as it allows your pet to cast a bleeding status on the opponent... always useful when you lack the firepower, and for a measly 5 energy.

Lastly, 1 or 2 points in Beast mastery will make your pet survive a lot longer, and you can dispense with revive skills that way most of the time, even when soloing (provided you heal it from time to time though).

angrysquirrel
23-05-2005, 00:40
noob question - can i make a mo / r and use one ranger skill to apply poison from a mile off with a long bow ?

mastermonger
23-05-2005, 06:01
making a PvE and GvG monk. I was thinking about making a mo/r and use damage and healing just for the storyline and PvE but i realised energy items wouldnt be able to be used. I figured i could just do all out monk for gvg at level 20 and just mo/r for PvE. would this be a good idea? Hows it sound
thanks.

sdpenaloza
24-05-2005, 01:42
with tweaking ranger monk is really nice judges insight, with penetrating shot, toss in poison arrow (eliete) and you take a war full armored down a peg

biggest hit with judges insight / penetrating arrow did -152 1 time hit to a full armored lvl 20 caster

and about -120 to a full warrior, and penetrating attack is almost spammable =P

marks 14, exp 12, 10 to smithing prayers =)

i will admit though in pvp your one of the first targets =( because of the monk tag :mad:

and for PvE missions you get the reuseable res spells =)

Zegorzalek
19-06-2005, 11:20
This seemed to be the best thread to tag onto for this question...

I am about to start a new chara, Ranger with a BM focus... and am leaning towards a monk secondary for some of the smiting skills that would complement this (Balths/Zealots). I am curious, can I swap Rebirth with Comfort Animal? That is, will Rebirth bring my pet back if he is dead? This would have greater "team" utility for a rez skill. Thanks!

SetonAlandel
21-06-2005, 04:26
Zeg, unfortunitly you cant Rebirth a pet back. You have to use pet raises for pets, and people raises for peoples.

Also, my main RP char (Since preorder betas) has been MO/R, and I'm amazed that my build hasnt cropped up. I use an enchantment-based healing Monk, in conjunction with Symbiosis. +100 hp for 30 seconds w/ a 5-en Vigerous Spirit is nothing to sneeze at. Symbio is based off of Beast Mastery, you can choose to bring Symbio, your pet, and (Although i find this is a little too much) a pet raise.

Skill Set:

Orison of Healing
Word of Healing (Elite)
Healing Breeze
Vigerous Sprit

Essance Bond (Great Energy gain in 4v4/PvE)
Rebirth/Restore Life

Symbiosis
Charm Animal

Although I've toyed with the idea of changing my focus to protection, as there are many more enchantments in Protection than Healing.

Have fun, Mo/R and R/Mo's!