PDA

View Full Version : Ele/Mes PvP build, please comment

glasszon
11-05-2005, 13:59
I have made a build for PvP, I have ordered Guild Wars Collectors Edition but yet to receive it in my mailbox. So I am just planning in advance and have no Guild War experience. (I have played D2 a long time ago though :)), so please excuse me if I made some noob mistakes:

Elementalist/Mesmer
Level: 20

EnergyStorage: 10
AirMagic: 11
Inspiration: 10

- Arcane Echo* (Illusion)
If you cast a spell in the next 10 seconds, Arcane Echo is replaced with that spell for 20 seconds. Arcane Echo ends prematurely if you use a non-spell skill.
Energy:15 Cast Time:2 Recharge:30

- Chain Lightning (Air Magic)
Target enemy and up to two other enemies near your target are struck for 76 lightning damage. This spell causes Exhaustion.
Energy:10 Cast Time:2 Recharge:20

- Lightning Strike (Air Magic)
Strike target enemy for 38 lightning damage.
Energy:5 Cast Time:1 Recharge:5

- Lightning Orb (Air Magic)
Lightning Orb flies toward target enemy and strikes for 76 lightning damage if it hits.
Energy:15 Cast Time:2 Recharge:5

- Lightning Javelin (Air Magic)
Send out a Lightning Javelin that strikes for 30 lightning damage if it hits. If Lightning Javelin strikes an attacking enemy, that enemy is interrupted.
Energy:10 Cast Time:1 Recharge:5

- Power Drain (Inspiration)
If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and you gain 21 energy.
Energy:5 Cast Time:0.25 Recharge:25

- Ether Feast (Inspiration)
Target enemy loses 5 energy. You are healed 21 for each point of energy lost.
Energy:5 Cast Time:2 Recharge:8

- Energy Drain [Elite] (Inspiration)
Steal 16 energy from target foe.
Energy:5 Cast Time:1 Recharge:20

* Planning to use Arcane Echo with Chain Lightning.

Xircon
11-05-2005, 18:12
I have made a build for PvP, I have ordered Guild Wars Collectors Edition but yet to receive it in my mailbox. So I am just planning in advance and have no Guild War experience. (I have played D2 a long time ago though :)), so please excuse me if I made some noob mistakes:

Elementalist/Mesmer

- Arcane Echo* (Illusion)
If you cast a spell in the next 10 seconds, Arcane Echo is replaced with that spell for 20 seconds. Arcane Echo ends prematurely if you use a non-spell skill.
Energy:15 Cast Time:2 Recharge:30

Target enemy and up to two other enemies near your target are struck for 76 lightning damage. This spell causes Exhaustion.

Lightning Orb flies toward target enemy and strikes for 76 lightning damage if it hits.

Send out a Lightning Javelin that strikes for 30 lightning damage if it hits. If Lightning Javelin strikes an attacking enemy, that enemy is interrupted.

If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and you gain 21 energy.

* Planning to use Arcane Echo with Chain Lightning.
Exhaustation, chain lightning and many other skills cause it. What is does is lower the total amount of energy you have by a certain amount. It does slowed come back (1 every 3 seconds of maximum energy) but it does have to be used carefully. Using it with chain lightning would be bad.

In reguards to the rest build. I like it. It is something to go on. But never playing the game you will be in for some surprises. First, skills do take a bit to find and most of the skills you find early on are fire skills at least decent ones are. I would hold onto this build and give it a try when you have unlocked or found the needed skills.

Welcome to the game.

FowerFighter
11-05-2005, 21:45
You might wanna switch energy drain for Elemental attunement,
Then spells wil only cost 50%,
This is en enchantment though and can be stripped.

glasszon
12-05-2005, 09:33
k, I have changed the skills around slightly so now I have not only the anti-caster and healing skills, I have also added a anti-warrior skill, the only problem is the huge recharge time, so it's likely to be used at the beginning of the battle and that's it:

Elementalist/Mesmer

- Ennervating Charge (Air Magic)
Target foe is struck for 38 lightning damage and suffers from Weakness for 16 seconds.
Energy:10 Cast Time:1 Recharge:60

glasszon
12-05-2005, 09:35
You might wanna switch energy drain for Elemental attunement,
Then spells wil only cost 50%,
This is en enchantment though and can be stripped.

I have thought about it, but I like energy drain more because it cannot be stopped (unless you interrupt it that is) and draining energy will also hurt the enemy caster while Elemental attunement do nothing to the enemy.

glasszon
13-05-2005, 06:32
I thought about the build again and made more changes, it would be great if someone could comment on it :)

Elementalist/Mesmer

- Blinding Flash (Air Magic)
Target enemy is Blinded for 8 seconds.
Energy:15 Cast Time:0.75 Recharge:4

Mraezk
13-05-2005, 08:30
I think its hard for folks to comment at this point since the game is still new. Which, hopefully, is also the reason for the rather lightly populated forum. Like what was mentioned before, by the time you unlock most of these skills, you'll probably have a very good understanding of the game yourself.

If it were me though, I'd drop energy storage down a bit and pump your primary damage skill, Air in this case, up since warrior builds seem so popular in pvp currently. The added damage would probably be more then worth it.

FowerFighter
13-05-2005, 10:05
You might wanna drop ether feast and put something usefull.
The healing of it won't make the difference between life and death, leave the healing to the monks :idea:

PKMG StaR
13-05-2005, 10:32
I think you have one to many attack skills. Try it out but I think you will find yourself not using 1-2 of them at all.

glasszon
13-05-2005, 13:19
Mraezk: k, I might put 12 into air magic and take points out of energy storage, I will test how energy really works when my collector's edition arrives before I know what to do though.

FowerFighter and PKMG StaR: But what else could I include? Because all my skills have very low cast time (2 second at most), so I don't see including any skills/stance that stops interruption would do me any good. I already have the blinding flash to stop warriors and I intend to use Energy Drain + Power Drain and Lightning Javalin to stop casters (the last 2 have interruptions, that's the only reason I included Lightning Javalin to begin with, although the cast time of Lightning Javalin might be too long to be effective for interruption purposes)

DutchSmurf
13-05-2005, 14:05
You might wanna drop ether feast and put something usefull.
The healing of it won't make the difference between life and death, leave the healing to the monks :idea:

Ether Feast is 5*21=105 health, which is pretty much for a healing spell, so it does keep you alive. And since monks during PvP have enough problems keeping themselves alive, a selfheal is a must.

PKMG StaR
13-05-2005, 22:57
I think your going in the right direction. The problem with most Elementalist builds is that they go spam crazy and then just stand there for 30 seconds waiting for their energy to recharge, which is not a good idea. Your build; however, will have your character constantly in action rotating between dealing dmg and stealing energy, which will be very effective when you finally get this character running.

Aracane Echo would fit nicely with this build. You have some nice energy drain so what I think would work nice for you is to use Echo+Orb which would do some nice nuke damage. Then when you are waiting for Echo to recharge you could unleash your energy drain spells to replinish your energy. If you went this route I honestly think you would only need 1 more damage type skill besides orb since it has high energy cost and low recharge, chain lightning would be nice.

If you do add arcane echo, you will probably need even more energy so I would suggest to add either glyph of lesser energy or add to your energy drain theme by adding energy tap.

You should also have an escape plan for when you are targeted. Monks,Mesmers,and Necros are usually the prime targets, but high dmg Nukers with energy drain spells are ideal targets as well. Windborn speed then would be something to think of adding.

glasszon
14-05-2005, 10:45
PKMG StaR: But is there much of a point of using arcane echo on orb when the recharge time is 5 seconds? Because when you consider the .75 second aftercast from orb + 2 second cast time of echo + .75 second aftercast from echo. The net gain is 1.5 seconds at the cost of 15 energy to cast arcane echo + the loss of a skill slot. (Although true, arcane echo switch with that spell for 20 seconds, so after the first use of casting arcane echo, you basicly have 2 lightning orb skill for the remaining amount of time, but I wonder could the energy pool manage to keep up with using 30 energy every 5 seconds, even I add a lightning attunement or energy tap)

glasszon
19-05-2005, 11:18
I finally recieved Guild Wars in my mailbox and I started playing a few days ago. I joinned pvp match in the old Ascalon for a few hours and it seems the build I designed before is not really practical (can't see how I could use all those spell without having some of them sitting there doing nothing for a while). I have made some changes to the build based on those early PvP experience, it will be great if someone could comment on this build:

Elementalist/Mesmer

- Conjure Lightning (Air Magic)
Lose all Enchantments. For 60 seconds, if you're wielding a lightning weapon, your attacks strike for an additional 12 lightning damage.
Energy:10 Cast Time:1 Recharge:60

- Blinding Flash (Air Magic)
Target enemy is Blinded for 8 seconds.
Energy:15 Cast Time:0.75 Recharge:4