PDA

View Full Version : Best Secondary Class for Mesmer?

Meroko
11-05-2005, 23:56
Hello. :D

I just ordered GW and can't wait till it gets in! I play FFXI as a level 60 BRD on Lakshmi named Nekole, and also a level 47 DRG. Anyway, I've been looking carefully at all the jobs and had a tie between Mesmer and Ranger. I'm going to go ahead and create two characters, one a Mesmer and one a Ranger. But my question is about secondary classes.

What is the most useful one for a Mesmer? I'm looking to be more on the lines of a de-buffer, and maybe a side- nuker.

What are the benefits to Mesmer/ Monk?

Mesmer/ Elementalist?

Mesmer/ Necromancer?

Thanks in advance. ^^ I really need your advice! :happy14:

Tsume
12-05-2005, 05:09
What are the benefits to Mesmer/ Monk?
This to me would not be a full blown healer. To do that you really need Divine Favor. But you could be a support healer with Protection Magics, or even dabble in smiting for the damage on the side and 'buff' option.

Mesmer/ Elementalist?
This would be your main damage on the side class. You could simply invest in one magic tree from the ele and use it offensively, or even augment your defences with the protection skills.

Mesmer/ Necromancer?

Well this would be your 'debuff' side of things, or possibly your life drain and gain support. I would either look at Curses for the many 'debuff' skills or Blood Magic for surviability options.

Garan
12-05-2005, 17:07
If you just started the game then you probably want to make a PvE focused character with the same Class combo as your PvP so you unlock all the skills you want. I played through the game with a Me/E and got most of my dmg from the two DoT/AoE in the Domination and Fire Magic lines. Mobs tend to be stationary so DoT/AoEs are in my opinion the best source of dmg for PvE. Then again I could not heal myself at all. :(

this_barb
13-05-2005, 09:46
For pure interruption, you cant beat a M/R or a R/M

dopplex
13-05-2005, 16:38
I like R/Me myself, even though I tend to function with nearly a full load of Mesmer skills. Better defense, and the element of surprise. Missing energy, but regenning energy is for wimps anyway. Good energy is energy stolen from someone else :-D