PDA

View Full Version : need a few advise on R/Mo

pittz
12-05-2005, 20:04
hallo,

i recently started playing the GW and made a R/mo character.
i`ve been enjoyiung the game a bunch, as well as my ranger.
but l8tly, atm im lvl 9 i see that i`m using only my ranger skills for pve, and the only skill i`m using fom my monk is the heal, when and if i need one.
so the fact is that im` concentrating on dmg mainly through the bow and my ranger skills, but im` now usiing my 2nd prof nearly at all.

could any of u guys that play a R/mo have any pointers on the monk skills i oculd use and stuff like that?

thanks .

Beomagi
12-05-2005, 20:23
Just cause you're not using skills from the second profession, doesn't mean you're playing your character wrong. As a ranger, you're pretty self contained. For healing there's healing spring and ungent - imo better than wind. on my ranger monk, i use wind for other characters, or to increase my own healing rate, and res when playing with groups. it's also nice that you can use the wind for your pet and players, rather than keeping a skill for comfort.

judges insight is one skill i do plan on using - 20% armor penetration etc. shield of judgement looks good defensively.

keydet
22-05-2005, 20:42
Mend Ailment comes in real handy. And When you get to Kryta, Judges Insight makes a huge difference when fighting the undead, especially if you combine it with Power Shot or Dual Shot. (Because it changes damage to Holy damage, which is doubled against them) Much later in the game putting Watchful Spirit on your tank can save the day. That one gives them +2 health regen and when the enemy breaks the enchantment, it heals your tank for a decent amount.

Advalorem
23-05-2005, 00:07
Yeah, I'm very much the same as you. I'm level 20 now, and have been playing almost as a pure ranger for about 6 levels.

I always take two bow attacks (Precision Shot and Hunter's Shot at the moment), Healing Breeze (as I nearly always have full energy, which I'll explain in a min, it is better than unguent), Tiger's Fury (to increase my attack speed, plus both my bows do extra damage in stances), Whirling Defence (to get me out of those sticky situations, and trust me, there are PLENTY in the crystal desert), Healing Spring (very very very useful), and Restore Life (better than resurrect, though I sometimes take Rebirth instead).

As you can see, the only two monk skills I take are healing breeze and restore life - both of which tend to only come out in emergencies.

The reason I use Healing Breeze instead of Troll Unguent is fairly simple - I can use it on allies, and it takes half the time to cast. Halving the time taken to cast means that it never fails to cast at all, which unguent does every now and again.

I manage to have full energy most of the time through three main reasons:
1) I use druid's armour
2) I have a zealous half moon, which combined with Tiger's Fury can regenerate your energy pretty nicely, and
3) I have Marksman's Wager.

I very very rarely use the other monk skills, and only have level 4 healing prayers and level 4 smiting prayers at the moment (hoping to boost that to level 9 when I get a superior rune of marksmanship). Healing Spring can be a vast help when you get ambushed, and it goes without saying that a resurrection spell is essential.

killashandra
30-05-2005, 11:40
Why would you not take along something like ignite or kindle? I've found that using ignite and dual shot together make a dent in large groups.

Secondly, if I were trying to make a mainly smiting char, where would I put my attribute points? Are there attributes that I can completely ignore or should they sortof be even with some being only slightly higher?

Feynt
30-05-2005, 12:07
Ignite Arrows is fine and all, but it's got a maximum damage of 15 per explosion. There's better preperations (Apply Poison for one, Choking Gas for two) than that for your usage. Usually though rangers lack the umph to do the major damage physical later on. Barrage effectively replaces Ignite Arrows late game, making rangers effective at harrying (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=harrying) groups of monsters for almost no loss in energy. A ranger's potential isn't in it's damage though, but in the variety of status ailments it can unleash on opponents.

Jahoclave
30-05-2005, 12:12
Though, as I go, I only use res/restore/rebirth. Most of my other skills are filled with interupts, poison, and pin down. Troll for heath.

Then again, I set myself up well for being an assitant rather than a main damage dealer. So it really wouldn't matter what secondary I had, I'd never really use it anyways.

I've also found that penetrating is a very effective skill in pvp... Especially against casters with their lower armor.

And it takes me almost forever to run out of energy. Or to the point where I can't cast anything. My expertise is at tweleve which makes my 10 eng skills take about 4 energy to cast. And that pretty much regens in the time between one shot to the next.

hahnsoo
30-05-2005, 14:38
I play a Ranger/Monk, and I've found that on occasion, respec'ing points into healing is a good thing on certain missions. The primary healers appreciate having supplemental healing, and it helps the team keep alive. I tend to bring Rebirth, Heal Other, and Healing Breeze along when I'm on this mode, along with Barrage for my main damage (energy-efficient and AoE).

Judge's Insight is probably my favorite ranger "buff" from the Monk Smiting line... when I respec to anti-Undead/anti-tank, that's the skill that is the moneymaker for me.

Anzen
30-05-2005, 18:33
As where Troll Unguent is NOT an enchantment, healing wind is. So healing wind can be broken by things like shatter enchantment, while Troll Unguent can not.

Actually, a Ranger doesn't need a second profession. I know many rangers, only concentrating on Ranger skills. For certain reasons:

An elemtalist can concetrate on fire, water, wind or earth magic (and of course engergy storage), meaning that they do not have to spend attribute points on all of their attributes, while a Ranger must to fight decently.

Same goes for Warriors, who can just concentrate on hammer, sword or axe.

Necromancers and Mesmers also do not have to use all there attribute, for they can just choose which magic to use. Mesmers of course put some points in speed casting.

Monks are a bit like rangers, for they are not just a walking antidote, they should be able to wield a weapon.

Rangers use always use Marksmanship; they should always use a lot of wilderness survival (else they'd die too fast fore troll unguent and healing spring wont be effective at all).; they should always use some beast mastery (else their pet would die all the time, causing your skills recharging too much); and last but not least expertise, which at low lvl isnt playing a big role, but can be playing a big role later on. Even if you have marksmans' wager, apply poison and many other preparations, bow skills and traps use relatively much energy. This is why Rangers should invest in expertise as well. Concluding; Rangers must spend attribute points on all their attributes, while other classes needn't.

My Attributes:
Fire Magic 0
Water Magic 0
Wind Magic 0
Air Magic 0
Beast Mastery 5
Expertise 7
Wilderness Survival 10
Marksmanship 15

hahnsoo
31-05-2005, 05:04
Actually, a Ranger doesn't need a second profession. I know many rangers, only concentrating on Ranger skills. For certain reasons:

An elemtalist can concetrate on fire, water, wind or earth magic (and of course engergy storage), meaning that they do not have to spend attribute points on all of their attributes, while a Ranger must to fight decently.

Same goes for Warriors, who can just concentrate on hammer, sword or axe.

Necromancers and Mesmers also do not have to use all there attribute, for they can just choose which magic to use. Mesmers of course put some points in speed casting.

Monks are a bit like rangers, for they are not just a walking antidote, they should be able to wield a weapon.

Rangers use always use Marksmanship; they should always use a lot of wilderness survival (else they'd die too fast fore troll unguent and healing spring wont be effective at all).; they should always use some beast mastery (else their pet would die all the time, causing your skills recharging too much); and last but not least expertise, which at low lvl isnt playing a big role, but can be playing a big role later on. Even if you have marksmans' wager, apply poison and many other preparations, bow skills and traps use relatively much energy. This is why Rangers should invest in expertise as well. Concluding; Rangers must spend attribute points on all their attributes, while other classes needn't.
Just because you CAN concentrate on just your Ranger skills doesn't mean you should. Rangers mesh well with secondary classes, if you know where to look. Why use Healing Winds over Troll Unguent, for instance? Troll Unguent costs far less energy, but it has a casting time of 2, which means you are going to be interrupted. Healing Wind has half the casting time, costs 10 energy, but it can ALSO be used on other players. This means in a Mission situation where you are partied with other players (who actually care about dying unlike henchmen), Healing Wind would probably be a better choice.

Sweeping generalizations about "Rangers should have maximum marksmanship" and "You should always have Wilderness Survival points for bow preparations" are generally bad for creating the best characters for any given situation. In reality, there are many ways to create a good ranger, and one simply needs to keep an open mind. A player who only focuses on Ranger skills would make a great person to solo with henchmen, but a lousy team-player.

Besides which, the original post was asking about playing a Ranger/Monk, not a generic Ranger.