PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars causing overheating?

Dis
12-05-2005, 21:25
Since the last beta weekend I have been unable to play Guild Wars for longer than 5-10 minutes because it overheats everything. Vid card, CPU, Hard Disk. Ive managed to get playing time up to an hour using some big-*** fan blowing inside the case, but its noisy as hell and not exactly a good solution.
I've not had this trouble with any other games I've played (Lineage2, Doom 3, CS:S) I dont really want to cause any irrepairable damage to the vid card.
This is my system:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1 gig RAM
Windows XP SP2
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb RAM

Im pretty sure that I should be able to run it with no problems according to the recommended specs.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

or buy....

PS. Things I've tried already:
Checked all the fans, theyr ok.
Have all graphics turned to lowest setting.
Turned AGP to 4x
Turned off Fastwrite (although it was never on)

Svenn
12-05-2005, 23:48
Apparently, this is now a known issue with the GW dev team. Check out this thread from another forum:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10039

Naylia
17-05-2005, 14:41
You need adequate cooling for your pc. I recommend a Zalman, Scythe, or Thermalright heatsink with Panaflo or Pabst fans for your case. They're quiet and they do a good job cooling. Check out SilentPcReview's recommended list for heatsinks that fit your CPU. Also a power supply with a 120mm fan like Seasonics S12 series would help vent some of that hot air, and consider a Artic Cooliing VGA silencer for that 9800 Pro. I have on my 9800 Pro and it's so quiet compared to the little tiny fan on the 9800s and it also vents air from the case.

GammaRay
17-05-2005, 15:34
I've also got that acursed 9800 Pro 128. My Northwood P4 2.4GHz at 100% load is reasonably cool to the touch (it's got a huge copper Thermaltake on it). The Radeon at IDLE churns out nice toasty air. In fact, I'm forced to play with the side of the case off to keep the RPMs on the CPU fan down because the card produces so much heat that floats up to the CPU.

I'm planning on getting one of those AC VGA Silencers to suck the hot air right off the card and out the back of my case. I've even got a fan in the back of the case pushing air out and an intake on the front of the case -- and it still pumps out toasty air at idle with the Radeon in it.

Naylia
17-05-2005, 16:28
The Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev 3.0 fit my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB perfectly and I can run it on slow. Tests show that slow on the AC Silencer is better than the stock fan. If you want to OC the video card then the High setting is a good option, a little louder but really vents a good amount of air.

calderstrake
18-05-2005, 01:30
The Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev 3.0 fit my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB perfectly and I can run it on slow. Tests show that slow on the AC Silencer is better than the stock fan. If you want to OC the video card then the High setting is a good option, a little louder but really vents a good amount of air.
Excellent recommendation. The AC coolers are the best on the market right now. You can get them really cheap at SVC. Check this link: http://www.svc.com/cardcooler.html

GammaRay
18-05-2005, 05:02
Yes, I intend to get the Silencer Rev 3 for my own card. It's one of the ones that hot-rodable into either a modified XT or a FireGL X2, but we'll see about that...

ugcbrian
18-05-2005, 06:21
I'm not having a reboot problem, but i am getting texture problems. That i believe are caused from heat.

Sys Specs

A64 3500 Win.
TT Pipe101 Heatsink with TT 80mm fan.
MSI Neo2 Plat.
OCZ El Plat rev2 512x2
LedTek 6800GT 256 (71.89 drivers)
2x160 Sata WD's Raid 1

I have 1 120MM fan pulling air in(front) and 1 80mm pushing air out the back.

This only happens after GW has been running for a longer period of time 2+ hours but its unexpected and annyoing. This is the only game it does it with, The system can run EQ1/EQ2,Doom3,UT and other games full detail with no problems.

Why is GW different?

calderstrake
18-05-2005, 07:15
Why is GW different?
I don't know if anyone can answer that other than the devs. What is the temp of your video card? Do you have a fan blowing across those heatpipes?

ugcbrian
18-05-2005, 09:16
I don't know if anyone can answer that other than the devs. What is the temp of your video card? Do you have a fan blowing across those heatpipes?

When the texture problems start and i get to desktop temps for the video card are 60~67c. The Front fan is pushing cold air to the cpu, CPU fan pulling air thru the heatsink and the back push's it out. GW is the only game that does this. Ill reseat everything and see what happens.

Naylia
18-05-2005, 19:06
I'm not having a reboot problem, but i am getting texture problems. That i believe are caused from heat.

Sys Specs

A64 3500 Win.
TT Pipe101 Heatsink with TT 80mm fan.
MSI Neo2 Plat.
OCZ El Plat rev2 512x2
LedTek 6800GT 256 (71.89 drivers)
2x160 Sata WD's Raid 1

I have 1 120MM fan pulling air in(front) and 1 80mm pushing air out the back.

This only happens after GW has been running for a longer period of time 2+ hours but its unexpected and annyoing. This is the only game it does it with, The system can run EQ1/EQ2,Doom3,UT and other games full detail with no problems.

Why is GW different?

Programs can be developed so that they (in unix terms) 'nice' themselves. Which means that they will not use all the resources of the system. It is possible these other games nice themselves and do not push your computer to 100% load. On the other hand, I prefer the proper cooling and letting software use as much of the CPU as it can, which translates to better performance / graphics even on a limited capability computer.

EmDee
18-05-2005, 23:05
I think I'm having overheating issues too. My game freezes up after about an hour of play EVERY TIME. And my system gets hotter then its ever been. Sometimes it will just restart itself which is something I know that happens when your graphics card overheats. I play the game on the lowest settings and the game runs ok, kidda choppy in some areas but not that bad.

My Laptop:
AMD Athlon XP-M 1.66ghz
VIA/S3 Unichrome chip (64mb)
512 ram (448 cause the chip uses 64)
80 gig harddrive (60 free)

I love this game but if it costs me my laptop I will be pissed. I actually get scared when I start up guildwars. I hope this is a problem that is addressed soon as it seems many people are having this problem. This is a great game but the problems people are having are getting out of hand.