PDA

View Full Version : (Merged) All About Runes

Barca
12-05-2005, 22:31
What are the rescrictions on using these.
Can you put them in blue or purple items? Or must they be white?
Can you use them on any peice of armor and weapons? Can you put two different ones on the same shield?

smitingmonk
12-05-2005, 23:54
you can only put runes in your armor pieces

Efflixi
13-05-2005, 00:31
And it has to be the same armor type. Wa rune goes on Wa armor etc.

Axehilt
13-05-2005, 00:53
Multiple identical runes applied to different parts of armor don't seem to add up. A breastplate with a +1 Curse rune and Legs with +1 Curse rune will not result in +2 Curses.

...but putting a +1 Curse rune into an item that already has +1 to Curses will result in +2 Curses.

(Hopefully someone who knows the actual rules around runes will speak up soon. I'm really curious as to the specifics. Maybe if we get enough people posting parts of rune rules we can piece together the full puzzle :P )

shanx
13-05-2005, 01:45
Multiple identical runes applied to different parts of armor don't seem to add up. A breastplate with a +1 Curse rune and Legs with +1 Curse rune will not result in +2 Curses.

...but putting a +1 Curse rune into an item that already has +1 to Curses will result in +2 Curses.

(Hopefully someone who knows the actual rules around runes will speak up soon. I'm really curious as to the specifics. Maybe if we get enough people posting parts of rune rules we can piece together the full puzzle :P )

Runes don't stack. You get to use the highest rune in any category, that's it.

Superior > Major > Minor

You can use runes from different attributes though. 1 char could have +1 dom (minor) +2 strength (major)

pohtato
13-05-2005, 04:21
can runes be extracted out after u put it in?

Efflixi
13-05-2005, 07:55
Yes, use an expert salvage kit on your armor its on, but, you lose the armor and its not a gaurentee you'll get it back.

Glider
13-05-2005, 14:24
Is it only possible to put runes into armor? Or can you also put them into weapons?

Blauer Morgengrau
13-05-2005, 16:04
Only armor, there are other upgrades to weapons though, like hilts.

Anyway, so does this mean I cant off-set multiple major runes with runes of vigor?

Because only one rune of vigor would work, even if its in different peices of armor?

On the other hand.. would it be possible then to put 2 runes of vigor in the same item and have them both stack?

Think Im starting to understand this

Corrodias
13-05-2005, 17:46
multiple runes of vigor will not stack, in the same piece (it will replace the old one) or in different pieces (just doesn't help). if you wear four major runes and one rune of vigor, you have, what, -150 health? well, whatever it would be. you can only use one of a rune type at a time, including vigor.

Glider
16-05-2005, 23:59
Ok tried to salvage a rune twice now. It didn't work. I tried it with an expert salavage kit. ok guys what have i done wrong?

elbertc
17-05-2005, 02:05
Ok tried to salvage a rune twice now. It didn't work. I tried it with an expert salavage kit. ok guys what have i done wrong?

You haven't done anything wrong. It's not 100% guaranteed that you will get a rune from salvaging items with an expert kit even though it unlocks it for your PvP characters.

Hunt3r_kill4
17-05-2005, 06:01

Yup, but I'd say you are pretty unlucky to miss two in a row. I have around 80-90% chance to get runes from identified items...

Avyer
17-05-2005, 15:49
So if I am understanding this correctly, you can balance out the -50 effects of a maj rune with a supior vigor rune on another peice of armor?

Glider
17-05-2005, 21:27
oi You where right guys now it worked twice on a row :)

another question i now got 2 runes one mesmer minor fast castin and a monk minor smiting prayers.
my char is an el/me can i use the runes for my character or not? (the mesmer rune i mean)

Arin Birchwood
18-05-2005, 23:02
another question i now got 2 runes one mesmer minor fast castin and a monk minor smiting prayers.
my char is an el/me can i use the runes for my character or not? (the mesmer rune i mean)

No you can't.

On a related subject: do you lose the rune if you try to put it on a piece of non-compatible armour?

jlowry
19-05-2005, 22:40
From what I understand only one rune (the highest value) of any kind used in all your armor pieces is actually added as a bonus. For example, if you had a Major rune of XXXX skill and a Minor rune of XXXX skill, they would not stack. Is this correct? I would like to be certain that multiple runes of the same type (but different qualities) don't stack.

As a side note, you can only use runes associated with your primary profession (unless they are vigor/absorption).

Hntar Undreno
20-05-2005, 00:17
oi You where right guys now it worked twice on a row :)

runes can be only applied to armor of their own class.. and since you can only wear the armor of your primary class, then logically, you can only use runes of your primary class.

crashxdjp
20-05-2005, 14:04
Could anyone explain Runes to me please?

Im a noob :(

Terik Stoermshade
20-05-2005, 14:32
Runes are items that you can salvage from armor drops (identify the armor first). When you apply these Runes to your various armor pieces, you can increase your attributes, health or damage resistance -- depending upon the Rune.

One note: in order to salvage Runes, you need to be using an Expert Salvage kit (available first in Yak's Bend, I believe).

Kagonos
20-05-2005, 14:43
i believ eyou can get the Expert salvage earlier then that. I though I pickup mine at the frontier gate or Northern wall. I am not that far after the searing.

YellowLab
20-05-2005, 15:29
I think with the latest patch the changed where expert salvage kits are located. The merchent in the sanatarium and Fort Ranik both have expert salvage kits.

YL

Mortshd
20-05-2005, 15:51
Add notes: Runes can only apply to your primary profession. Runes don't stack, i.e. if you have one rune has +2 and another +1, they don't add up to +3. Using expert kit doesn't always guarantee that you could extract the rune. When you obtain an undentified armor, try to id it first if there's a rune, it'll unlock it for your PVP characters.

Terik Stoermshade
20-05-2005, 15:56
I think with the latest patch the changed where expert salvage kits are located. The merchent in the sanatarium and Fort Ranik both have expert salvage kits.

YL

Good news. I haven't checked with those vendors (or even been in those outposts) in quite some time.

evanwier
23-05-2005, 07:07
With runes, can you put on say 4 superior vigor runes, one on each piece of armor and have lots of HP? Or a major on oneand minor on another. Also, wiht skill runes, can you put a bunch of major skill runes on each or what?

Bravo
23-05-2005, 09:23
Only 1 rune of XXX will count.

So if I had a major rune of vigor and a minor rune of vigor, only the major rune would count.

So the maximum you can get to an attribute permanently would be 16:

12 (attribute points)
+3 (superior rune)
+1 (headpiece)
= 16

Certain classes have skills that they can use to boost a stat temporarily (necromancer and elementalist). Items can have a percentage chance to boost a stat +1 whilst using a skill of that line...

Garumn
24-05-2005, 11:10
I actually think the different runes add different effects to you., so they do stack….

Ravage M
24-05-2005, 16:04
Currently have a major fire rune applied to my robe. If i apply another type of rune to say increase death magic, will the effects of the fire rune be replaces even if i say add it to the leggins instead?

REI ONRYOU
24-05-2005, 18:42
You can have a Fire Magic and Death Magic rune in your armour at one. Runes of the same type (2 Fire Magic for example) do not stack.

majoho
25-05-2005, 02:06
This is the noob forum... here's what I did today.

I'm a R/W I bought 2 minor runes of Wilderness.. and applied both to seperate items - gee they don't stack :o

Since I use an axe as my main weapon I bought two runes of minor axe mastery - gee I can't use them :o

:happy65: <- retarded happy

majoho
25-05-2005, 06:25
My lucky day I guess

http://tinypic.com/5czqlh

(used expert salvage)

Saif
25-05-2005, 17:45
I've seen template where people have boosted stats of both professions. Are these templates wrong, or can you find upgrade runes for your secondary profession?

In the instance of an Ele/Mo, with:

10 Healing
10 Earth

I can boost the Earth magic skill, but how about Healing?

MtnTiger
25-05-2005, 17:57
I understand that runes of the same attribute do not stack but my question is that if I put a minor rune of illusion on a piece of armor and then later decide I want a major rune, can I put it on the same piece of armor and have it just replace the existing minor rune to get the +2 rather than the +1? I just don't want to put a minor rune on an expensive piece of armor to later decide I want a better rune in the armor. Also is there a limit to how many runes you can put in a single piece of armor (could I say put a minor illusion, domination, vigor and inspiration rune all in one piece)?

jlowry
25-05-2005, 17:58
I've seen template where people have boosted stats of both professions. Are these templates wrong, or can you find upgrade runes for your secondary profession?

In the instance of an Ele/Mo, with:

10 Healing
10 Earth

I can boost the Earth magic skill, but how about Healing?

Since runes go in armor only, and you can only use armor from your primary profession...

Also, as noted here, runes do not stack when used in seperate pieces of armor...no matter how many times you try (or if you mix and match qualities of the same rune....like major and minor).

jlowry
25-05-2005, 18:05
I understand that runes of the same attribute do not stack but my question is that if I put a minor rune of illusion on a piece of armor and then later decide I want a major rune, can I put it on the same piece of armor and have it just replace the existing minor rune to get the +2 rather than the +1? I just don't want to put a minor rune on an expensive piece of armor to later decide I want a better rune in the armor. Also is there a limit to how many runes you can put in a single piece of armor (could I say put a minor illusion, domination, vigor and inspiration rune all in one piece)?

Yes, you can replace the rune in an armor piece by inserting a new one....of course you lose the old rune (there's no way to get it back and keep the armor in tact). This works for both upgrades to rune quality and using an entirly different rune (replacing sword mastery with axe mastery, for example).

Each armor piece can have only one rune each. Since you wil likely only use 3 branches of your skill trees on any given build, that leaves two spots open for vigor and absorption.

MtnTiger
25-05-2005, 18:39
Thanks jlowry, that is exactly what I needed to know. I'm less concerned about preserving the runes as opposed to keeping the same piece of armor and just upgrading it later to a better rune when the time comes, especially if adding runes to a piece of 15k armor.

Mr Dead Wish
26-05-2005, 10:46
Good news. I haven't checked with those vendors (or even been in those outposts) in quite some time.

Be care full which ones you use minor +1 no penalty +2 -50 Healt +3 -75 Health :rolleyes:

Amoo
26-05-2005, 17:05
So how does one use / apply these runes?

Thx.

IBeJebus
26-05-2005, 17:09
So how does one use / apply these runes?

Thx.

You double click on the rune itself, and then move it to the piece of armor you want to put it in and then click the armor.
Doesnt matter which piece you put it in, except only one rune per piece of armor

Sammorai
26-05-2005, 22:07
Ive always avoided using major and superior runes on my warrior because i figured a tank needs all the hp it can get. Generally is it a good or bad idea to use these runes on a warrior, or should i stick to minors. I use a hammer most of the time if that helps any.

Phaeax
26-05-2005, 22:30
I'm just as intrigued to hear other people's opinions...

I typically avoid major and superior runes (except vigor ;)) in my builds as I'd rather have the life. There are some spells where the extra attribute points matter, either where the damage ramps up quickly or where a point or two can pass a rounding breakpoint.

But what I can't understand is how the economy basically dismisses minor runes and demands large sums of money for superior runes which do carry a penalty.

IBeJebus
26-05-2005, 22:35
I'm just as intrigued to hear other people's opinions...

I typically avoid major and superior runes (except vigor ;)) in my builds as I'd rather have the life. There are some spells where the extra attribute points matter, either where the damage ramps up quickly or where a point or two can pass a rounding breakpoint.

But what I can't understand is how the economy basically dismisses minor runes and demands large sums of money for superior runes which do carry a penalty.

I tend to agree with you. As a Necro, i need as much life as i can get. But you could also make an argument for the warrior that since he has better armor than the other classes and wont take quite as much damage, that the extra life isnt quite as necessary to them. They might rather want the extra damage instead of health. Ultimatly it comes down to preference; More dam. or higher health.

A_S_G
27-05-2005, 02:22
Do these things stack?

I used two on my character and it seems like only the first one affected my health.

I took the second item off and the health stayed at the same even though they both have one.

Amoo
27-05-2005, 02:52
You double click on the rune itself, and then move it to the piece of armor you want to put it in and then click the armor.
Doesnt matter which piece you put it in, except only one rune per piece of armor

Thx for the reply, now, does this mean one can only use runes on armors only or can one use runes on other itmes such as boots or wepons?

thx again.

IBeJebus
27-05-2005, 02:57
Thx for the reply, now, does this mean one can only use runes on armors only or can one use runes on other itmes such as boots or wepons?

thx again.
Nope only armor. Weapons have their own upgrade components that you can find. Like bowstrings, sword pommels, axe grips and such

IBeJebus
27-05-2005, 02:59
Do these things stack?

I used two on my character and it seems like only the first one affected my health.

I took the second item off and the health stayed at the same even though they both have one.

Nope, runes do not stack. So if you have a rune of minor and lets say one of superior vigor as well, only the superior vigor would take effect

A_S_G
27-05-2005, 02:59
Nope, runes do not stack. So if you have a rune of minor and lets say one of superior vigor as well, only the superior vigor would take effect

Ah that sucks, I wasted two runes of minor vigor then :lol:

Hunt3r_kill4
27-05-2005, 05:15
Dont worry about it, those things are now next to worthless. :D

You can also attempted to expert salvage your armor, and maybe get your rune back.

Garumn
27-05-2005, 13:10
But would 2 different rune types stack on one pice of armour

Mr Dead Wish
27-05-2005, 14:27
But would 2 different rune types stack on one pice of armour

No if you try that it will say do you want to replace old upgrade, so one rune per piece of armor and runes don't stack :eek:

BTW I also prefer the no health penalty ones, maybe in PVP the superior ones are worth it. No idea I only play PVE.

XeroTheta
27-05-2005, 14:56
I look at it this way.

if you use a superior rune, you get +3 to a stat. You'll get 49 skill points to play with (assuming you try to get that stat to 12 and not 16 :p )

Here's why. Level 12 stat costs 97 points. If you have a +3 rune you only need to up it to 9. that leaves 49 skill points that you could get another skill up to level 9 (ranking a skill to 9 costs 48 skill points)

For straight warriors, it's not as important, because having two different weapon types isn't that practical (you'll most likely only have enough skill slots for secondary class skills and one warrior weapon type)

Since we all know that most of us choose a secondary class, if not all of us, it could prove useful. Like for W/MO they could up lets say strength to 9 and then swordsmanship to 11 and use a +3 rune of strength and a +1 rune of swordsmanship. this costs a total of 125 skill points leaving 75 skill points for other skills (like any one of the prayer sets) This means you could get any one of those prayer sets up to level 10 and have 2 skill points left over (which are pretty useless) Then you add on a rune of superior vigor and you regain most of the health lost!

I noticed too that the bonus from helmets stack with runes of a similar type. So you could even up the swordsmanship stat to 10, get a +1 rune and the +1 from the helmet to swordsmanship this would net you another 16 points to play with (on top of the 75) so to recap:

strength 9(12) +3 rune -75 health -48 skill points
swordsmanship 10(12) +1 rune +1 helm -61 skill points
Then you have 91 skill points for any prayer skill (maybe tactics if you want more warrior skills) and that can net you rank 11 in that third skill! Or you could split it between 2 skills or whatever. Then the rune of superior vigor gives +50 health so your net health loss is only -25.

I dunno, just a thought. I like to be a little more versatile than min/maxed (unless I build specifically for a PvP party with guildies)

IBeJebus
27-05-2005, 20:26
Dont worry about it, those things are now next to worthless. :D

You can also attempted to expert salvage your armor, and maybe get your rune back.
Depending on which armor he has, that would probaly be more expensive than the rune is worth

RisingStars
28-05-2005, 00:51
Can anyone explain and clarify
-what you can put runes on, (what kinda weapons, armour, etc.)
-how many you can put on the item

Amoo
28-05-2005, 01:19
Sorry to bother I have another question,

Let say I have a Ranger with Elem. as 2nd pro.
Can I add a rune with an elem. bounes to my armor?
Would that work?

Thx.

Phaeax
28-05-2005, 01:28
You can apply a rune to an armor piece, shown on the right side of your character in the inventory view, making a total of 5 runes possible. Yep, that means only one rune per armor piece.

You can also only use runes of the class that matches your armor, meaning that you'll only be able to use class-specific runes that match your primary profession.

Only the highest ranking rune (Minor < Major < Superior) of a specific type will be accounted for. It will let you use more than one, but only the highest will be in effect. For example, if you were to use a Rune of Minor Strength in your headgear and a Rune of Superior Strength in your chestpiece, you'd only get the effects from the latter.

Hope all that helps!

Ettenra
28-05-2005, 07:54
I searched for this and couldn't really find anything helpfull so here goes...
I get a rune. My guildmate gets a rune. We exchange b/c each of us needs the other one. Neither of us can apply the rune to anything. Does this mean that only the person that has unlocked the rune for PvP can use the rune in PvE? In other words, my mate would have had to have unsuccessfully tried to salvage the rune I'm trying to give her before she could use it?

Thanks in advance...

Ramahi Lightleaf
28-05-2005, 08:03
I give runes I unlock to guildmates all the time and my guildmates do the same for me. Is it possible that these runes were for your secondary professions and not your primaries? Because you can only use runes from your primary profession. That's the only thing I can think of as to why they wouldn't work.

elbertc
28-05-2005, 10:33
Also, if you're using a similar type of rune, you cannot apply another one to your armor.

i.e. If you're using a Major Marksmanship run, and you try to apply another other type of rune, they won't stack. The "biggest" one will supercede all other marksmanship runes. Superior over Major over Minor.

Sigmabra
29-05-2005, 04:12
ok im a bit confused... ie: if I have a minor rune of fire magic in my armor, a minor rune of air magic in my leggings, a minor rune of energy storage in my boots, a minor rune of earth magic in my gloves and a minor rune of water magic in my headgear, I'll get +1 in each atribute(+1 air, +1 fire, etc)?
btw, can I put a rune in a headgear?

thx :worship:

Reena
30-05-2005, 14:52
Suppose I put a minor vigor rune on my armor now, and then acquire a major vigor rune and put it on the same armor... will my armor now have a major vigor rune in it? Or will I need to get a new piece of armor to put the rune in?

snowkissed
30-05-2005, 17:15
As far as I know you can. With weapons, you can put in new components (bow grip, shaft, sword pommel, etc) and it just overwrites what was there before, though it confirms that you want to do this.

Snow
---------------------
Amethyst Dyreneza
Taelaina Jonthar
Maiki Azair
Catishi Fokusama

Fissure
30-05-2005, 18:25
I know how regular unlocking works for PvP, you get a salvage armor that has a rune in it, you identify it, and viola it unlocks. But say I bought a rune from somebody that I didn't already have unlocked. Once I had that rune in my inventory could I use the identifying kit on it and unlock it?

Oranges
30-05-2005, 18:45
I know how regular unlocking works for PvP, you get a salvage armor that has a rune in it, you identify it, and viola it unlocks. But say I bought a rune from somebody that I didn't already have unlocked. Once I had that rune in my inventory could I use the identifying kit on it and unlock it?

You would have to buy the unidentified salvage armor.

salaboB
30-05-2005, 19:35
You would have to buy the unidentified salvage armor.
Or an unidentified rune that was salvaged from unidentified salvage armor.

Vicious Veratias
02-06-2005, 14:29
Just today i got an axe rune.. I didn't place it in my axe because it already has some kind of rune in it, so i placed it on my ascalon helm... It upgraded my axe mastery BUT i also have a mesmer rune and for some reason it will not let me place my mesmer rune ANYWHERE! Not on any of my armor nor my weapons! WTF? please help, it'd be very much appreciated, THANKS!

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 14:31
Is Mesmer one of your classes?

Vicious Veratias
02-06-2005, 14:32
yea i'm a Warrior/Mesmer

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 14:36
Well then either it's a bug or you're not telling us something.

ProfessorNutbutter
02-06-2005, 14:37
I thought it only worked for your primary profession.

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 14:38

Hahaha you have the funniest name. :happy14:

Timtimmeh
02-06-2005, 14:40
you can only apply runes for your primary proffesion, your secondary won't be able to benefit from runes. I'm glad I chose N/Mo and not Mo/N :)

Loquetus
idd you can only use runes for your primary profession :(
would be nice if we could use the other runes aswell but ahwell :)

Vyper
Actually, I'm almost certain it only works for your primary profession.

Mraezk
02-06-2005, 14:43
Its primary only, which seems kind of limiting with the way runes work.

Warchild
02-06-2005, 14:58
Actually, I'm almost certain it only works for your primary profession.

True.
You can only apply runes for your primary profession.

ScruffyhawkIII
02-06-2005, 15:00
do runes of vigor stack? or absorption?

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 15:01
do runes of vigor stack? or absorption?

No.

.. .. ..

Vicious Veratias
02-06-2005, 15:02
ah... :mad: thanks for the feedback. i wish we could use runes for your primary and secondary :(

Veren
02-06-2005, 15:02
Hntar Undreno in another thread on this topic explained it as follows:

You can use the armour of only your primary class and as runes are applied to armour it makes sense that you can use the runes of only your primary class.

Edit: I so wish we could use secondary class runes too. I had this specific build worked out before I had learnt this fact - now I'm having to rethink if it will still work optimally...ahh well, I guess it is fair...

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 15:03
Hntar Undreno in another thread on this topic explained it as follows:

You can use the armour of only your primary class and as runes are applied to armour it makes sense that you can use the runes of only your primary class.

Thanks for using a quote to state the same thing a few people have already said.

Vicious Veratias
02-06-2005, 15:06
Thanks for using a quote to state the same thing a few people have already said.

:happy34:
:lol:

WolfRanger
02-06-2005, 15:09
Hi,

anyone know the chances to salvage a runes or upgrades from armour/weapon drop? I mean, I've found about a dozen in the past week and have successfully salvaged them all so far.

But today (post-update) I've found THREE in half an hour!! And trying to salvage them all with expert salvage kit after identifying them and unlocking the rune/upgrade, all I got was wood planks and iron ingots. Is this normal?

I'm not too bothered, as they're all unlocked now and no doubt I'll see them again in future drops, but it's slightly annoying that I can't flog them to save up for my chaos axe. :(

Veren
02-06-2005, 15:10
Sarcasm?

If so: sheesh sorry if I was slightly slower than everyone else at posting :rolleyes:

Hurin66
02-06-2005, 15:21
I tested 50 runes and salvaged 38 of them succesfully, and from what some other people have said as well id say the avergae succes rate is around 80%.

Weapons im not ssure due to their multiple properties (it can have a hilt and be highly salvageble). Also i have always had more trouble getting the haft or hilt salvaged then the pommel. (8 elemental axes salvaged, 1 elemental haft, 7 pommels)

majoho
02-06-2005, 17:17
From armor I've gotten two out of eight :(

Vyper
02-06-2005, 17:18
I tested 50 runes and salvaged 38 of them succesfully, and from what some other people have said as well id say the avergae succes rate is around 80%.

Weapons im not ssure due to their multiple properties (it can have a hilt and be highly salvageble). Also i have always had more trouble getting the haft or hilt salvaged then the pommel. (8 elemental axes salvaged, 1 elemental haft, 7 pommels)
Really? I've had a harder time getting the pommel. :lol:

Hades the Terrible
02-06-2005, 17:30
Out of the 10 runes I got today, I salvaged 9 of them. The other one gave me a leather square. It was not THAT bad.

sparkyman
02-06-2005, 17:34
my succes rate is about 50% at best (or so it seems) for salvaging runes...missed out on 2 superiors that i really wanted...unlocked at least but still i would rather have had the runes

Belgeran

Phaeax
02-06-2005, 17:39
For runes, I've successfully expert salvaged 15 out of 17.

ReZon
02-06-2005, 17:40
5 out of 7 here.

IBeJebus
02-06-2005, 17:43
You all suck. :D ive salvaged 9 out of 22... bad luck i am having.

ironcobra
03-06-2005, 02:08
I have a me/n 14 and i bought a rune of minor blood magic and others that wont apply to my courtly hose any ideas :confused:

Xak of the Blade
03-06-2005, 02:10
Runes only work with your primary, sorry mate :(

colinlamtrident
03-06-2005, 10:27
Ok, so far, I have Major Air rune, Minor Air Rune, and Minor Vigor. I applied these runes:

Head: Storm's Eye which adds +1 (no runes)
Chest: Major Air Magic (Air +2, -50hp)
Gloves: Minor Vigor (30+hp)
Leggings: Minor Energy Storage (Energy +1)
Shoes: Minor Air Magic (Air +1)

I have 12 Air Magic normally, with the Storm's Eye, it's 13 Air Magic. Now when I add the Chest, it adds 2 air magic. This makes total of 15. BUT, when I add the Shoes with the minor air magic, it should add +1 air magic right? Well it doesn't. It stays Air Magic 15. How come my Minor Air Magic doesn't work?

salaboB
03-06-2005, 10:38
Can't stack runes of the same attribute, so the major air magic is overriding the minor air magic.

Jethro of the Tulls
04-06-2005, 18:23
I am aware of the fact that 2 minor runes with the same ability do not "stack" as it were; when placed on 2 different peices of armor you are wearing. My question is: does a major rune combine with a minor rune when they are placed on 2 different peices?

Hope this doesn't seem too confusing; was not sure quite how to word it...

Thanks, and GUILD WARS RULES!!

-Jethro of the Tulls, Mad Piper...

Sieg Hawk
04-06-2005, 18:43
Well the minor would be useless and only the major would work...

admitche
05-06-2005, 15:38
I put a rune of major vigor on my level 20 E/Mo. It went on his shoes.. all his armor is bought from droknor's forge.

However, it only took his health from 480 to 521 (I thought it was susposed to add 50?).

Any theories as to why? (ie Im completely wrong, etc?)

In addition, can you not stack runes of vigor? I then added a rune of minor vigor to his gloves, and this did *nothing*..

Thanks in advance

Bruiser of Minoc
05-06-2005, 15:43
minor 30, major 41, superior 50.

they dont stack.

peejee
06-06-2005, 16:17
I just found 2 runes. One is the "Superior Rune of Divine Favor" the other is a "Warrior Rune of Major Strength".

The Divine Favor rune says it improves Divine Favor, Health -75, and the Strenght rune says Improves Strength, Health -50.

Now my questions. What good do the runes do, if it takes your health down THAT much. I know some may say it really isn't that much, but for me, I need as many life points as I can get, you know.

I currently do not have a warrior or a monk, but my guild mates will get the runes if they want them, if not, I'll either give them away or sell them. When it says it "improves" strength or divine favor, exactly how much does it improve it? Is it worth losing the health for the "improvments?"

I don't know if it helps to know, but we are currently only playing PVE, with no plans to PVP, but you never know.

Thanks in advance

Hades the Terrible
06-06-2005, 16:24
Minor +1 to xxx
Major +2 to xxx
Superior +3 to xxx

Think of having a fire magic of 16 :D

FragJunky
06-06-2005, 16:30
There is still the question of the -50. I have a Major Rune of Strength. I have had it for some time. I would love to use it, but if it knocks me down 50 on life, I might as well sell it to the mechant. A Minor is worth a lot more.

Loquetus
06-06-2005, 16:34
having the superior runes for everything you can have (no vigor one) means a nice -300hp
ofcourse you never use all 4 atributes
most people use 3 atributes but even 3 atributes with sup runes = -225 hp
even with a superior vigor one it just isn't worth having more then one superior rune
or at the most 2 major runes and the rest minor

superior runes are good to help deal dmge for elementalists but really is a superior strength rune worth the -75hp?

i'ld like to see a build survive having using all superior runes ^^
only a monk could survive if he used protective bond (without major vigor rune the max dmge he'ld get/attack = 9
using shielding hands dmge would be in the negs ^^

using that combo he'ld get 0 dmge from any spell or attack
and even when shielding hands is down... 5 dmge is easely healed ^^
just use mending and you'll constantly be at full hp :p
exept when a mesmer/ranger decides to give you a really nice shatter enchantment or rapid hp degen
so mend ailement etc will be spells they can't miss

cause bleeding and poison etc will kill rapidly

i would like to see the face of 4 warriors pounding on a monk doing no dmge what so ever ^^
to get the energy back (lost by prot bond, i suggest essence bond, blessed signet and maybe a mesmer spell that steals energy
(another monk giving you a +1 energy regen pip will also help)
or just use bonetti's defense

cludinsk
06-06-2005, 16:35
most people only use one superior, and the rest minor. and you can have other runes/wrapping on weapons that will give +20 health for example, that will offset some of the health penalty from a major or superior rune. considering how expensive in points it becomes to raise an attribute at the high end, you can see why someone might take -30 hp to have +2.

peejee
06-06-2005, 16:50
ok, bare with me here, I'm having brain farts this morning, ok most mornings :D

Should we just save up until we have ALL of the superior runes before using them to make them beneficial?

The strength one says -50 to health (as it is a Major rune), the Divine Favor has the -75 to health

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scare_all/detail?.dir=c31b&.dnm=e97d.jpg&.src=ph

here is a link to show a screen shot of the runes and their attrubutes, hopefully it will work.

Thanks again

TehTom
07-06-2005, 02:28
How much should i sell the Rune of superior vigor for?
Also how much should i sell the Warrior rune of superior swordmanship?

Stygian Abyss
08-06-2005, 08:13
I have 2 questions on runes and +stat headgears

+ stat headgears will work with a rune that is on another piece of armour. Is that correct?

If I put, say, a superior air rune on a storm's eye (+1 air), will it become +4 OR will it be over-written by the superior air rune and become +3 only?

Thanks.

laugm
08-06-2005, 10:30
well what if u put in 1 rune of superior vigor and 1 rune of major vigor (u fav attribute) :surprise: ? then u will get nothing and only +2 to ur attribute. :winking47 am i right?

MrScythes
08-06-2005, 11:59
Last night I put a second Minor rune of energy storage in my armor (first in the jacket, 2nd in the pants) and I only get +1 to Energy Storage. I never knew! Why?

Loquetus
08-06-2005, 12:02
cause runes don't stack
only one rune of the same kind works
so only 1 energy rune will work (the best one when possible)
is probably to stop warriors from using 5 major absorption runes etc
and to cap the max hp at a reasonable lvl + cap skills

runes can help but letting you use 4 energy storage runes (minor) would beat the point of having a superior rune

wolfgar
08-06-2005, 12:04
simple reason for that

you cant stack runes in your armour!!

ok i post to slow

Taal Ger
08-06-2005, 12:05
unfortunatly you are allowed only one of each type of rune for your primary profession to work. It bites but it keeps ppl from just buying a bunch of minor runes and stacking them so they don't get the negative hit points from the major and superior runes.

Zvixo
08-06-2005, 12:07
That weird thing is that while the same runes dont stack, their hp penalties do.
Tried that out while making a pvp char.

Mr Dead Wish
08-06-2005, 12:30
That weird thing is that while the same runes dont stack, their hp penalties do.
Tried that out while making a pvp char.

Hmm what a surprise :rolleyes:

Might it have to do with the fact that the rune increase an attribute and the other pen with you hp because you wear them :idea:

The stacking off death pen is based on all Runes you wear try 5 sup ones :D

The attribute increase is based on the skill and the Rune which boost it.

Those two things are not related :rolleyes:

lred
08-06-2005, 12:47
I never knew! Why?
Because AN doesn't tell anyone these things. Why that is, i don't know, because the reason is not revealed by AN.
Attribute runes for armor stack only once, with head gear.

MrScythes
08-06-2005, 13:04
Because AN doesn't tell anyone these things. Why that is, i don't know, because the reason is not revealed by AN.
Attribute runes for armor stack only once, with head gear.

ok, so I could put one in my head gear and one in my jacket?

lred
08-06-2005, 13:10
ok, so I could put one in my head gear and one in my jacket?
Not sure about that. Much of the head gear i can get has some attribute boost. For instance a helmet with +1 strength, or head tatoo with +1 healing prayers. I have never put a +attribute rune on head gear.

MrScythes
08-06-2005, 13:23
Not sure about that. Much of the head gear i can get has some attribute boost. For instance a helmet with +1 strength, or head tatoo with +1 healing prayers. I have never put a +attribute rune on head gear.

Oh ok, wait, I get what was meant. A headpiece has for example +1 fire and than you can still put a +1 fire rune in your armor. Ok, I'm with you.

Harmless
08-06-2005, 13:34
What is the advantage of using a major or superior rune? I know that they up the attribute points but does that overcome the health penalty?

Lydia Ashengard
08-06-2005, 13:47
What is the advantage of using a major or superior rune? I know that they up the attribute points but does that overcome the health penalty?

It's up to you to weigh the advantage of having a bit more oomph to your spells against the disadvantage of having less hp.

It might make more sense to boost your primary damage attribute (so you hit hard, but die fast), though it might make less sense to boost attributes like energy storage with a superior rune.

Just to clarify for those who are still in the dark, the maximum boost to your attribute (without factoring spells, weapons, focus items) is 4 : 1 (headgear) + 3 (superior rune). If you are wearing both a minor and a superior rune of the same type, the game will only factor in the better rune.

Lust Faeriefire
08-06-2005, 14:24
Oh saaafe... I was about to put a superior, major and minor rune of vigor into 3 different pieces of armor..

carnix
08-06-2005, 15:02
It's up to you to weigh the advantage of having a bit more oomph to your spells against the disadvantage of having less hp.

It might make more sense to boost your primary damage attribute (so you hit hard, but die fast), though it might make less sense to boost attributes like energy storage with a superior rune.

Just to clarify for those who are still in the dark, the maximum boost to your attribute (without factoring spells, weapons, focus items) is 4 : 1 (headgear) + 3 (superior rune). If you are wearing both a minor and a superior rune of the same type, the game will only factor in the better rune.

Wait im still really confused about all this, im pretty new to the whole rune thing, ive collected loads i just havent applied any in fear of wasting them or the items i put them on.

Also what is an attribute rune and what is not? are u simply referring to attribute runes as anything that is not Vigor?

So can i put say 1 rune of each 4 attributes on my armor and then a one of a repeated attribute on my headpiece? also runes can be put on weapons/foci right? and are they repeatable too?

sorry, definite n00b alert here but i dont wanna waste gear and still not get the answer! thx!

EDIT: just realised that i doubt i will ever need to use all 4 attribute runes unless im just messing about, but still for arguments sake is it possible?

IBeJebus
08-06-2005, 15:11
Wait im still really confused about all this, im pretty new to the whole rune thing, ive collected loads i just havent applied any in fear of wasting them or the items i put them on.

Also what is an attribute rune and what is not? are u simply referring to attribute runes as anything that is not Vigor?

So can i put say 1 rune of each 4 attributes on my armor and then a one of a repeated attribute on my headpiece? also runes can be put on weapons/foci right? and are they repeatable too?

sorry, definite n00b alert here but i dont wanna waste gear and still not get the answer! thx!

EDIT: just realised that i doubt i will ever need to use all 4 attribute runes unless im just messing about, but still for arguments sake is it possible?
Yes its possible. An attribute rune is evrything except vigor, and you can only add runes to your armor. Weapons have thier own upgrades, and you cont upgrade foci at all.The headpieca and a rune of the same type as the headpiece bonus is allowed

bruenor
08-06-2005, 15:20
So if I'm wearing one piece of dmg reducing armor and place an absorption rune on another piece I get no benefit? I agree this is all confusing, as everytime I think I understand it a new situation comes up that changes everything.

Right now I'm wearing a helmet with +1 swordsmanship and it has a minor vigor rune for HP, Gladiator Hauberk w/+20 vs. phys attacks +energy boost, gladiator leggings for the +energy boost, high armor rigmail gauntlets, and Ascalon boots for the dmg reduction. (quite a get-up :) ) Now, I was going to place a minor absorption on chest since it is hit often and wantd the dmg reduction... but will this do nothing since I am wearing the Ascalon boots?

Sheesh, and noobs are supposed to figure this all out with no manual or instructions?

darkmuse
08-06-2005, 15:37
Now, I was going to place a minor absorption on chest since it is hit often and wantd the dmg reduction... but will this do nothing since I am wearing the Ascalon boots?

I think the rune will stack with the boots.

MrScythes
08-06-2005, 15:53
Ok, I made a nice little mini-guide about using runes:

* Runes can be placed in your five pieces of armor (headpiece, jacket, gloves, pants, shoes).
* Only one rune can be placed per piece of armor.
* You can't place runes in weapons or shields/focus'

* When you place the same type of rune in two pieces of armor, only one will work. (eg a minor fire rune in the jacket and one in the pants will result in +1 to fire)
* When you place a rune which gives you same the benifit that already is inherent to a piece of armor they stack (eg. if you have a +1 Fire headpiece and place a minor fire rune in your headpiece you get +2 Fire)

* Runes come in 3 flavors: minor, major and superior
* Minor runes give you +1 in the attribute the rune is for
* Major runes give you +2 in the attribute the rune is for, but you'll loose 50 health
* Superior runes give you +2 in the attribute the rune is for, but you'll loose 75 health
* Rune of Vigor is a special rune that gives you 30, 40 or 50 health (Minor, Major, Superior)

Sir Smiles
08-06-2005, 15:57
I know that minor runes don't take any health away from u, a major rune takes away 50 hp, and a superior takes away 75 hp. Does a superior vigor rune do anything bad for u other than giving u hp(is a good thing)???

MrScythes
08-06-2005, 15:59
Now what did I just say :P

sparkyman
08-06-2005, 16:02
I know that minor runes don't take any health away from u, a major rune takes away 50 hp, and a superior takes away 75 hp. Does a superior vigor rune do anything bad for u other than giving u hp(is a good thing)???

superior vigor only adds 50 hp-----no bad effects for the wearer
superior attributes have -75 hp (as noted above)
so if you add a superior fire (+3 fire -75hp) to a head-piece for example and a superior vigor to your chest (+50 hp) the net effect to your hp would be an overall loss of 25 hp and a gain of +3 to the skill of choice.

Belgeran

bruenor
08-06-2005, 16:08
Ok, I made a nice little mini-guide about using runes:

* Runes can be placed in your five pieces of armor (headpiece, jacket, gloves, pants, shoes).
* Only one rune can be placed per piece of armor.
* You can't place runes in weapons or shields/focus'

* When you place the same type of rune in two pieces of armor, only one will work. (eg a minor fire rune in the jacket and one in the pants will result in +1 to fire)
* When you place a rune which gives you same the benifit that already is inherent to a piece of armor they stack (eg. if you have a +1 Fire headpiece and place a minor fire rune in your headpiece you get +2 Fire)

* Runes come in 3 flavors: minor, major and superior
* Minor runes give you +1 in the attribute the rune is for
* Major runes give you +2 in the attribute the rune is for, but you'll loose 50 health
* Superior runes give you +2 in the attribute the rune is for, but you'll loose 75 health
* Rune of Vigor is a special rune that gives you 30, 40 or 50 health (Minor, Major, Superior)

(this is great and exactly what I was hoping someone would take the time to type up as it is such a common but confusing aspect of the game.)

The only thing missing would be that if two runes (one minor, one major, say) of the same type are placed (even on different pieces of armor) only the highest one will count (in this example the major).

carnix
09-06-2005, 16:33
theres also a typo in the mini guide, Superior Runes give +3 to attributes

and so to recap, placing duplicates runes do not stack, is this definitely the case as it has been mentioned that Headgear is exempt from non rune stacking? just making sure as it appears ive made that mistake already :(

EDKeld
09-06-2005, 16:44
Any Inherent bonuses from armor DO stack with runes.

+1 Axe helmet + Minor Axe rune = +2 Axe

80 Armor Knight's boots, Damage reduction 2 (applies to hits all over your body) + Superior Absorption Rune, Damage reduction 3 = Damage Reduction 5 for whole body.

Mr Panda
09-06-2005, 23:52
ok, i did actually do a search for this, but it didn't turn up anything, only a lot of rune threads on stacking, so i hope no one gives exasperated sighs...
do the health loss from major and superior runes keep stacking...if so...wtf
if not, wheres the cut off.
I once had two majors on my armour, and had the -100 health...now im more than rich enough to buy a ton of majors and some superiour runes, ony thing is, i did the maths, and even with a superiour vigour rune, doing up al lthe rest of your armoru with superior runes would result in having 230 health (at lvl 20, disregarding weapon/shield/focus health mods)...im knowing this would suck. if anyone could enlighten me i would be very grateful about what to do with my character's and whether or not to go ruen happy, cos im sticking with one major and rest minor at the moment. Thanks.

MisterP
10-06-2005, 00:08
Don't get all Superiors. Unless you're willing to take the hp hit.

donut time
10-06-2005, 00:13
My level 11 Ranger has all Superior runes, she's got a total of 100 health. Although, I haven't played with her since she's had the runes... :D

Suokkis
10-06-2005, 00:18
All the -health mods stack, but from the +attribute of runes, only the highest counts of the same type. Balance issue really. As for what runes to use, use the highest rune to increase your highest attribute as a general rule because of the attribute points go higher at higher levels. I'd say use one superior rune to the 'main' attribute and rest fill with minors of the other attributes you use and a vigor rune.

Miss Opera Ghost
10-06-2005, 00:26
im curious about this as well, i have a Ranger and any healthloss could critcally effect her in battle- i imagine the Warriors would have an easiyer time with this

Mr Panda
10-06-2005, 09:53
ok, thanks everyone, cleared that up...looks like im going for a sup vigour, sup swordsmanship, and a major tactics then...

TraceHardon
14-06-2005, 17:11
Ok so I have a level 20 char. I have completed all the missions and I have been to UW once and Fissure twice.

Basically I have hardly unlocked any runes. I have found exactly 0 superiour runes, 1 major rune, and a handful of minor that are not even for my class.

The best one so far is minor vigor.

I have never farmed but I know the devs were saying that farming was not the "proper" way to find runes... Ok, so what is the "proper" way? Last night I ran 2 of the end game missions over again with random groups and I found 1 minor rune during about 4 hours of play.

black claw
14-06-2005, 17:17
Run around exploring is the best way. I don't have farming down yet either, but I like adventuring the more remote parts of the map. Go explore every place in Maguuma, every place in Kryta, every place in the Desert. Kill everything. You'll get a few runes.

Poster Nutbag
14-06-2005, 17:19
Ok so I have a level 20 char. I have completed all the missions and I have been to UW once and Fissure twice.

Basically I have hardly unlocked any runes. I have found exactly 0 superiour runes, 1 major rune, and a handful of minor that are not even for my class.

The best one so far is minor vigor.

I have never farmed but I know the devs were saying that farming was not the "proper" way to find runes... Ok, so what is the "proper" way? Last night I ran 2 of the end game missions over again with random groups and I found 1 minor rune during about 4 hours of play.

Well, sorry to say, but if you want to find runes to unlock and use. You need to Farm by yourself. I guess it is debateable weather it is "proper" or not. But that is how I do it. Found my first Superior Vigor last nite :happy65:

Mike BMT
14-06-2005, 17:28
I havent farmed once.

Ive unlocked

Superior Vigor
Superior Healing
Superior Curses
Superior Absorption
Superior Marksmanship

Unfortunately for me, that Superior Vigor rune salvaged into 3 iron ingots. But I did Unlock it, atleast.

Ive gotten countless Minors, and a few Majors.

This is 99.9% from just doing quests and missions, fighting my way through them.

TraceHardon
14-06-2005, 17:43
Well, sorry to say, but if you want to find runes to unlock and use. You need to Farm by yourself. I guess it is debateable weather it is "proper" or not. But that is how I do it. Found my first Superior Vigor last nite :happy65:

Hmmm... ok I hate to ask, but where are you going by yourself to get these?

Blacklust
24-06-2005, 11:14
How do you tell the difference between runes before you indentified them? I seen people selling unindentified Superior Vigor, but don't understand how they know that the rune is Superior Vigor before indentifying it. It would help me greatly if someone spilled the beans =D! Like add a pic of what a unindentified Super Vigor should look like or explain it. Thanks for your time!

IBeJebus
24-06-2005, 17:11
How do you tell the difference between runes before you indentified them? I seen people selling unindentified Superior Vigor, but don't understand how they know that the rune is Superior Vigor before indentifying it. It would help me greatly if someone spilled the beans =D! Like add a pic of what a unindentified Super Vigor should look like or explain it. Thanks for your time!

Well, what they do is they salvage the armor before they identify the rune. Once you do that it will tell you what type of rune(minor, major, superior) and for what profession it is. Obviously with Vigors, they work for all classes, once you id it you immeditaly know its a superior vigor, whereas with the profession runes, you dont know what type of rune it will be.

Argyros Theron
05-07-2005, 23:57
Hi-

My question is about a Superior Vigor rune. Please look at the following pic:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2512/gwssrosv9pa.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gwssrosv9pa.jpg)

The rune image is of a minor but the title reads, "Rune of Superior Vigor." So, what's going on here? Will it still have the effects of a superior? Thanks for any help. :D

jlowry
06-07-2005, 00:32
Hi-

My question is about a Superior Vigor rune. Please look at the following pic:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2512/gwssrosv9pa.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gwssrosv9pa.jpg)

The rune image is of a minor but the title reads, "Rune of Superior Vigor." So, what's going on here? Will it still have the effects of a superior? Thanks for any help. :D

When the graphics changed from scrolls to the new rune icons in one of the larger game updates, there was a period where all runes had the same shape/appearance (with new symbols on them for each profession). Runes ID'd during this period maintained that graphic even after the majors and superiors were given updated looks. Regardless, the runes all function the same way.

FYI: This transition too place in a matter of a day or two when a lot of changes were instituted. I have a few majors that look like minors, for example. The key is to look at the stats on it...go by that over the graphic.

Tears of Dragon
25-07-2005, 13:52

Mhmm,…. Are you sure about that?
Well, what about warrior's rune of absorption. I think it works best applied to your chest and legging since most of the damage is aimed at those particular areas.
What do you think?
:love57:

Tears of Dragon
25-07-2005, 13:55

Mhmm,….
Well, what about warrior's rune of absorption. I think it works best applied to your chest and legging since most of the damage is aimed at those particular areas.
What do you think?
:love57:

Tears of Dragon
25-07-2005, 13:56
I am sorry for my double posting, my computer hates me.
:worship:

Wandalf
25-07-2005, 14:12
Mhmm,….
What do you think?

If I'm not mistaken, Absorption Runes count for your entire armor. Apply one rune, and you're overall better protected against damage.
No need in applying several runes.

Menolaus Troy
08-08-2005, 04:15
Yes i agree i don't think it matters where u are hit absorbtion runes just absorb dmg.
Also just wondering how much extra hp do superior vigor runes give you got my second one today (sold my first one) but probably going to use it on myself.

IBeJebus
10-08-2005, 15:56
Yes i agree i don't think it matters where u are hit absorbtion runes just absorb dmg.
Also just wondering how much extra hp do superior vigor runes give you got my second one today (sold my first one) but probably going to use it on myself.

Vigor runes are as follows

Minor- 30 hp
Major- 41 hp
Superior- 50 hp

And yes, Absorption runes apply globally, not just to the piece of armor they are applied to.

Ravenstorm Moonsong
12-10-2005, 04:30
Question...i have a gold dwarven robe, un id, un salvage. what or how would i know what sort/kind of rune it will be once i use the id kit to make it into an un id rune?
anyone lost yet?
Gold Dwarven Robe
Gold Dwarven Robe after id
how can one tell what sort of rune you will get from gold armor? if its a robe would it be caster type by default?
or is it just plain random what kind of superior/major rune you will get?

Zaxares
12-10-2005, 05:09
It's entirely random.

Ravenstorm Moonsong
12-10-2005, 06:45
k thought so, thanks for replying thou.

BeefChunks
21-10-2005, 21:54
From gold armors, do you always get sup runes? Or can you still get major ones?
And does the armor level influence what rune you get?

Zaxares
24-10-2005, 02:27
I believe the ratio is about 60% Major, 40% Superior for gold armors. As far as I know, the armor level does not influence the chance for there being a Major or Superior rune on an armor, although it DOES affect how much the armor will sell for at the merchant.

huitzilopoctli
08-11-2005, 00:35
Hey, this is my first post here. Hopefully This isn't answered somewhere else, but here goes.

I have a superior absorption rune that looks like a minor rune. Yet, for some reason, it says that it is superior. I see that there's a separate section for screenshots, but before I post the picture, do any of you know what I mean/have you seen or heard of this problem before?

Will a superior rune that "looks like" a minor rune still work like a superior one? I emailed the guild wars support staff about a week and a half ago but no answer as of yet...

Thanks in advance. :D

IBeJebus
08-11-2005, 00:40
Hey, this is my first post here. Hopefully This isn't answered somewhere else, but here goes.

I have a superior absorption rune that looks like a minor rune. Yet, for some reason, it says that it is superior. I see that there's a separate section for screenshots, but before I post the picture, do any of you know what I mean/have you seen or heard of this problem before?

Will a superior rune that "looks like" a minor rune still work like a superior one? I emailed the guild wars support staff about a week and a half ago but no answer as of yet...

Thanks in advance. :D
hmmm, thats definetly odd. Have you been holding on to it for a while? the only thing I can think of is it is from before they changed how the runes looked. Otherwise I have no idea. If it says Superior it should still function like one.

nightrunner
08-11-2005, 01:58

That's strange... have you tried getting a PC from the Rune trader?

huitzilopoctli
08-11-2005, 23:37

Yeah, it says that the Rune Trader "will not accept" my item.

huitzilopoctli
08-11-2005, 23:39
hmmm, thats definetly odd. Have you been holding on to it for a while? the only thing I can think of is it is from before they changed how the runes looked. Otherwise I have no idea. If it says Superior it should still function like one.

Yes. Well, I mean, I haven't. But my friend sold the game to me, and so I'm using his account. He played a while back (i'm not sure exactly how far back, probably within a couple months of the release of the game though). I created my own character and played through the game with him, but then I was checking out one of the characters my friend made, and I found that there were all these runes and such. I mean, he wasn't much past the d'alessario (sorry for the mis spelling) seaboard; so how he could have received a superior rune there...

IIIPowerIII
09-11-2005, 02:22
Yes. Well, I mean, I haven't. But my friend sold the game to me, and so I'm using his account. He played a while back (i'm not sure exactly how far back, probably within a couple months of the release of the game though). I created my own character and played through the game with him, but then I was checking out one of the characters my friend made, and I found that there were all these runes and such. I mean, he wasn't much past the d'alessario (sorry for the mis spelling) seaboard; so how he could have received a superior rune there...
You can find any sup rune near Lion Arch. Yes i've seen those rune, I saw a Sup Vigor with minor Skin. I prefered not to buy, old guildies told me it could be an hack, so I bought a rune with Sup skin on it.

Dark Wolf
09-11-2005, 06:52
I have problem salvaging runes. I just can't. I just bought a tunic for my necro and I tried salvaging my old tunic (the one we get when we create our toons) and it said I can't salvage this item. I got that too when I tried salvaging a weapon. It's a superior rune that costed me lots of money and I'm pretty pissed I can't get it. Is this a bug? I used expert salvage kit by the way.

Derrek Grenith
09-11-2005, 08:44
I have problem salvaging runes. I just can't. I just bought a tunic for my necro and I tried salvaging my old tunic (the one we get when we create our toons) and it said I can't salvage this item. I got that too when I tried salvaging a weapon. It's a superior rune that costed me lots of money and I'm pretty pissed I can't get it. Is this a bug? I used expert salvage kit by the way.

Can't salvage starter/reward items your rune is gone sorry :(

Derrek Grenith
09-11-2005, 09:00
having the superior runes for everything you can have (no vigor one) means a nice -300hp
ofcourse you never use all 4 atributes
most people use 3 atributes but even 3 atributes with sup runes = -225 hp
even with a superior vigor one it just isn't worth having more then one superior rune
or at the most 2 major runes and the rest minor

superior runes are good to help deal dmge for elementalists but really is a superior strength rune worth the -75hp?

i'ld like to see a build survive having using all superior runes ^^
only a monk could survive if he used protective bond (without major vigor rune the max dmge he'ld get/attack = 9
using shielding hands dmge would be in the negs ^^

using that combo he'ld get 0 dmge from any spell or attack
and even when shielding hands is down... 5 dmge is easely healed ^^
just use mending and you'll constantly be at full hp :p
exept when a mesmer/ranger decides to give you a really nice shatter enchantment or rapid hp degen
so mend ailement etc will be spells they can't miss

cause bleeding and poison etc will kill rapidly

i would like to see the face of 4 warriors pounding on a monk doing no dmge what so ever ^^
to get the energy back (lost by prot bond, i suggest essence bond, blessed signet and maybe a mesmer spell that steals energy
(another monk giving you a +1 energy regen pip will also help)
or just use bonetti's defense
WOW!!! lol is this where it all started?? dated 06-06-2005

Derrek Grenith
09-11-2005, 09:06
one more thing b4 i go, i see alot of talk about attribute runes here BUT no one seems to know how the absorbtion runes work,i have been told that those work diffrent,say you have one in your boots it will absorb XX damage from all damage everywhere or just when the feet take the damage,if only the feet get the bonus if you were to put one in each piece of armor will they work in each piece or are you limited to one does anyone have a researched answer for this? thx

huitzilopoctli
09-11-2005, 13:33
You can find any sup rune near Lion Arch. Yes i've seen those rune, I saw a Sup Vigor with minor Skin. I prefered not to buy, old guildies told me it could be an hack, so I bought a rune with Sup skin on it.

That's the problem I have too. Everyone thinks it's a hack; but there's no way I can say for sure because I wasn't the one who originally found it.

So I guess I'm just stuck with a sup. absorb rune that I don't need...

BTW, thanks for the info that you can find any sup. rune near lion's arch. I'll be sure to farm there starting today!

Derrek Grenith
09-11-2005, 17:31
So I guess I'm just stuck with a sup. absorb rune that I don't need....

just sell to the rune trader at least you will get most of what its worth(unless the rune trader dont give the proper amount)

IBeJebus
09-11-2005, 18:58
just sell to the rune trader at least you will get most of what its worth(unless the rune trader dont give the proper amount)

Hes already tried that.

Yeah, it says that the Rune Trader "will not accept" my item.

huitzilopoctli
10-11-2005, 01:41
At this point, I'd personally just be happy to get half of what it's worth (50k, apparently it's worth 100k juding by the rune trader).

I would try it myself but I don't have good armor on my warrior and I don't want to waste it if it turns out to be good (or rather, legit).

huitzilopoctli
11-11-2005, 13:09
Actually, I sold it to one of my guild mates and he said it worked fine.

So if anyone else has this problem...now you know. :)

Dark Wolf
15-11-2005, 04:01
I just found a superior rune for Monk but I haven't identified it yet. Should I identify it? How should I sell it? To people? To the trader?

Disgruntled Architect
21-11-2005, 11:13
I'm trying to strategize a way to use multiple superior runes for my ranger and am thinking it would be best to drop them onto different masks, which I would swap out depending on situation (i.e. wilderness survival for trapping in UW, marksmanship for fighting, etc.).

My question is this: will the bonus entailed by the rune (say, +4 wilderness survival) overwrite the bonus on the mask, if it is for the same attribute? A traveller's mask has a +1 wilderness survival, will that simply be superceded by the +4 from the rune? I know runes do not stack, but what about armor bonuses?

This question also applies to, say, a warrior with knight's/ascalon armor and a rune of absorption. Can the rune be placed on the warrior's armor and add to the absorption rating, or does it simply replace it?

Findariel
21-11-2005, 11:53
I'm trying to strategize a way to use multiple superior runes for my ranger and am thinking it would be best to drop them onto different masks, which I would swap out depending on situation (i.e. wilderness survival for trapping in UW, marksmanship for fighting, etc.).

My question is this: will the bonus entailed by the rune (say, +4 wilderness survival) overwrite the bonus on the mask, if it is for the same attribute? A traveller's mask has a +1 wilderness survival, will that simply be superceded by the +4 from the rune? I know runes do not stack, but what about armor bonuses?

This question also applies to, say, a warrior with knight's/ascalon armor and a rune of absorption. Can the rune be placed on the warrior's armor and add to the absorption rating, or does it simply replace it?
Runes only stack with each other, not with armour modifyers.

Disgruntled Architect
21-11-2005, 12:36
Runes only stack with each other, not with armour modifyers.

Wait a minute; I thought runes did NOT stack with each other.

Findariel
21-11-2005, 13:07
Wait a minute; I thought runes did NOT stack with each other.
Oops typo!! :eek:

They do NOT stack with each other but they DO stack with inherent modifyers as absorption and mask attribute modifyers.

The way to get an attribute value of 16 is the appropriate mask/helmet/whatsoever combined with a sup rune.

My apologies for the confusion.