PDA

View Full Version : need a little convincing

tex
13-05-2005, 17:34
howdy yall..............I've a very small problem, and it goes a little like this:

This game looks really interesting, and, as a hardcore gamer, I think that i would like to dip into the MMO genre a little bit. But one problem i have is that im mainly a console gamer, so my comp isnt really high end, would that make any difference in the playing of this game? What is the general theme of this game? I've seen a lot of stuff and it always seems to me that you have to be crazy into this things to glean any sort of entertainment from them, is that true with this game as well?

you see, the only reason im thinking really long or hard about buying another game is that i already have about 10 recently bought games that i havent played.....at all......lol. You see i have an obsession with Halo 2, I cant seem to get off of it, and its hilarious but i really dont like that game anymore since Bungie (the creators) essintially killed it with a horrible "update". anyways ill not go into it too much, since yall probly dont care, but my point is that is it possible to play this game for a few hours a week, and still be able to enjoy it, and not be stuck sucking it hard for months and months? Or do yall believe that this is one of those games that will make an obsessee of any true gamer that plays it?

Thanks in advance

elbertc
13-05-2005, 17:42
howdy yall..............I've a very small problem, and it goes a little like this:

This game looks really interesting, and, as a hardcore gamer, I think that i would like to dip into the MMO genre a little bit. But one problem i have is that im mainly a console gamer, so my comp isnt really high end, would that make any difference in the playing of this game? What is the general theme of this game? I've seen a lot of stuff and it always seems to me that you have to be crazy into this things to glean any sort of entertainment from them, is that true with this game as well?

you see, the only reason im thinking really long or hard about buying another game is that i already have about 10 recently bought games that i havent played.....at all......lol. You see i have an obsession with Halo 2, I cant seem to get off of it, and its hilarious but i really dont like that game anymore since Bungie (the creators) essintially killed it with a horrible "update". anyways ill not go into it too much, since yall probly dont care, but my point is that is it possible to play this game for a few hours a week, and still be able to enjoy it, and not be stuck sucking it hard for months and months? Or do yall believe that this is one of those games that will make an obsessee of any true gamer that plays it?

Thanks in advance

What kind of computer do you have? Here are the requirements for the game: http://www.guildwars.com/faq/default.html#support

If you only wish to play for a few hours a week, that is fine. However, I think once you start playing.... you'll end up playing more than just a few hours a week. :surprise:

Lady Deathraven
13-05-2005, 17:44
I once heard Guild Wars described as "The MMO for FPS fans." No doubt this is because Guild Wars has a fast pace that most online RPGs simply don't have (*cough*FFXI*cough*).

In light of this, I imagine Guild Wars will be right up your alley if you're a fan of Halo 2 (which I am, as well, although I don't have Xbox Live because my gaming TV is nowhere near my cable modem and I can't afford a router right now <.<;;). I'm sure you've heard a lot of things about typical MMORPGs, like you have to spend hours finding a party in order to gain a little bit of experience, that quests take a long time to plan, that you have to farm for hours on end for items and money, blah blah blah. Well, this isn't (mostly) true for Guild Wars. Parties are formed fairly quickly, as least in comparison to MMORPGs I've played; quest planning usually involves a quick "For the love of god, DON'T RUSH" and "Okay, be careful here or we're going to get raped"; and money is fairly easy to come by.

To answer your specific question: yes, this is definitely a game you can play for a few hours a week, and in that time you'll still feel like you've accomplished something. Whether you get 'hooked' or not really depends on the person. I like to take a break every now and then, but the siren call of Guild Wars always calls me back in. ;)

SorsScriba
13-05-2005, 17:45
It is highly reccommended to have a high end connection. However there are various mode for display and an autodetact feature to set it so there is minimal lag. To be safe make sure to check the side of the box for the minimum reqs.

Game play... I'm PvE and a little PvP and I only play maybe an hour a day besides weekends. I love the game and it seems from the random team pvp arenas that i will love and enjoy the matches there as well as the PvE areas that seem a little massive when looking for towns only heard of in passing by strangers (at least for a healing monk). If you are looking for deep story that drags you in there is not much here really unless you go reading every little bit in the quests. The game is mainly set for the teamwork aspect then the getting point A to B (Why they called it a cooperative online rpg or was it competitive?)

Skywarp
13-05-2005, 17:49
If you only wish to play for a few hours a week, that is fine. However, I think once you start playing.... you'll end up playing more than just a few hours a week.

To answer your specific question: yes, this is definitely a game you can play for a few hours a week, and in that time you'll still feel like you've accomplished something. Whether you get 'hooked' or not really depends on the person. I like to take a break every now and then, but the siren call of Guild Wars always calls me back in.

Quoted for truth. You can even make a (sort of) maxed out PvP only character to get into the high end PvP straight away. These won't have all the skills of a PvE (or what GW calls an RP) character, but you will have enough to be effective, even as a newb.

As far as your computer goes, I'd upgrade to something nice if you can afford it. I'm no hardware genius, so I can comment much on that area. But, the graphics are worth it.

tex
13-05-2005, 17:56
Ive got a dell, Pentium3 or 4 (will check when i get home) 512 MB of RAM an Nvidia dont know what kind for sure but my comp is only a year or 2 old...and i make BS at my job so i dont have that much $$$....

So this is keyed around teamwork? is it really required to play with a team in order to get the most fun out of this game? because im more of a loner and dont like people that much, so does it matter if i go as a team of solo?

Lady Deathraven
13-05-2005, 18:00
Speaking of system requirements, I find that your computer doesn't have to be GREAT to play this game. I played several of the betas (anything up until the March beta, anyway) with a Radeon 7000 video card, and it was fine on low settings. Of course, that's probably because my computer met all the other requirements and could 'pick up the slack' so to speak.

Anyway, just don't break your wallet over a super-high-end ubercomputer. Get something that meets the system requirements, maybe even the recommended ones, or maybe just falls in between, that fits your budget well. Who knows? Maybe your computer as it is, though not high-end, is good enough to run the game well. Check the website for system requirements and see how yours fares.

EDIT:

So this is keyed around teamwork? is it really required to play with a team in order to get the most fun out of this game? because im more of a loner and dont like people that much, so does it matter if i go as a team of solo?

You can define 'solo' in two ways in Guild Wars:

1) Go completely solo. Your character vs. the world. That's it. This is EXTREMELY difficult to accomplish, except with certain builds. Even with those builds, however, you will probably not be able to solo completely for very long.

2) Go somewhat solo. Your character and a party of computer-controlled characters vs. the world. This is the best way to solo, because you can do missions with your party of 'henchmen' and just explore areas at your leisure. Even henchmen tend to lose their shine in some of the later missions (not all of them), but they'll get you through a lot of parts in the game where human players tend to.... fall behind. However, the disadvantage to this form of soloing is that Henchmen take their fair share of experience and loot, just like normal players would.

goblintrain
13-05-2005, 18:18
Hmmm...

Yes Guild Wars has a good pace, but if you are a FPS player i think you might encounter some frustrations in this game. Compared to MMORPG's, the time investment for developing a base of skills & equipment is minimal, but using these effectively does require some prepartion study. You can't just slap together random skills and expect to be really effective. You want to actually study your skills, how they work in conjunction with each other, and build from there.

I am not trying to discourage you from playing Guild Wars, it is just that i know some other FPS players who often get a little frustrated with the planning process. They are used to having thier effective options open up to them in game play without having to make so many choices about what to use and how to use it. By the time a single hero is developed, you have about 150 possible skills divided between 8 or more skill lines. Since you will only be developing between 2 to 4 of those 8 skill lines, and only using 8 of those 150 skills at any given time, a thoughtful build choice is important. If you don't like having to build a hero like this, you probably won't enjoy the game much. Sure, you can always just use the pre-built PvP heroes, but that is cutting out a lot of the game. However, choosing this is the closest Guild Wars gets to the streamlinjed style of FPS games.

If you get the chance, try doing some PvP with the pre-builts at a friends house for a while. See if you enjoy that part of the game enough to merit getting it yourself.

As far as your machine goes, Guild Wars is pretty friendly to lower end systems. As long as you have 512 MB of ram, a compatible 64 MB or better vid card, & a mid grade internet connection, you really shouldn't have any performance issues with this game. This is what i played with through the betas, & just upgraded my video card after release.

Good luck!

Sammorai
13-05-2005, 18:27
As far as your pc's specs you WILL be fine, im playing guild wars comfortably (although not ALWAYS smoothly) on a system that scrapes the minimum specs, and my gfx card is even lower, its a Geforce 2 and i have no hardware issues at all. You shouldnt get any lag at all in 1-2 hour bursts of play, i would be very surprised if you did.

ranbla
13-05-2005, 18:43
I played GW the first time when they had the world premier. I must admit, I really didn't like it and didn't think it would be any fun. But, having become so frustrated with World of Warcraft, I was hungry for something else to fill my gaming tummy. I heard alot of people raving about the game and I figured there had to be something to it that I didn't see during the WP.

So, I bought it on release and have been playing it ever since and loving it. It did take alot of getting used after having played Everquest, WoW and a couple of other MMORPGs over the last few years, but I was determined to give it a chance. I'm glad I did.

I have a level 20 Mo/Me and have done nothing but PvE content so far. I generally hate PvP because every game I've done PvP in, I saw no point to it. It seemed to be just a gank/fragfest with no real purpose to it. From what I've heard about the GW PvP, it sounds like they've done a better job with it and I intend to check it out soon. :)

The hardware requirements are pretty low when compared to other PC games that have come out in the last year, single player and multiplayer alike. Unless you have a really old PC, like older than 2 or 3 years, you probably won't have any issues.

Anyway, I highly recommend it and give it a little playtime before making your final judgement. The entire concept of the game doesn't really sink in until you've leveled up to around level 10 and have put a few missions under your belt. From that point on, you should be hooked. :happy14:

Parker Bsb
13-05-2005, 18:46
Ive got a dell, Pentium3 or 4 (will check when i get home) 512 MB of RAM an Nvidia dont know what kind for sure but my comp is only a year or 2 old...and i make BS at my job so i dont have that much $$$....

I'm running 512 meg of SD ram, and a 64 bit Nvidia MX2 card with 1.7 gig processor and the game doesn't even hiccup, I'm also playing in highest video settings... so you can get by with what you have I'd say without a problem (pent 3's start around 1.0 gigs so you'll do fine)

Mad J
13-05-2005, 18:59
I'm running 512 meg of SD ram, and a 64 bit Nvidia MX2 card with 1.7 gig processor and the game doesn't even hiccup, I'm also playing in highest video settings... so you can get by with what you have I'd say without a problem (pent 3's start around 1.0 gigs so you'll do fine)

Also make sure you're not running other apps in the background -- especially if you're on the lower end of the hardware requirements. And for all those who do BT, I'd suggest closing out your sessions for your in-game pleasure; that's the only type of slow-down I've had (meaning another app taking my bandwidth away).

As far as addiction is concerned, I am hopelessly addicted to this game. I'm not even one to play MMORPGs or FPS games but this game has me badly. I play before work, after work, after hanging out with my friends / gf -- essentially whenever I can fit in a bit of time for a quest (mostly soloing) I do. I haven't been bit hard by a game in a long long time...! Now I am trying to convince my non-gaming friends to get it on so we can start our own guild.

hope you try the game!

tex
13-05-2005, 20:08
its looking to be fun...One last main grievence. Monthly fees? i heard that there were none, but that could mean one of 2 things, there are hidden fees or that there really are no monthly fees but there are also no updates or DLC (downloadable content)

And dont get confused here, Im a HaloAddict, but i play almost every genre out there, including some console RPG's. while im thinking about it, how does this game compare to KOTOR? because i play KOTOR and the FF series as much as i can. Is this game similar to or different from those? because i love the concept of making a charecter exactly the way i want it to be, i just think that is amazing.

Parker Bsb
13-05-2005, 20:25
They will be selling expansions every 6 to 9 months. You don't however need to buy the expansion to play... they compare it to Magic the Gathering (card game) if you buy 4th edition say, you have all the standard cards avaiable, however if you buy the expansion sets you can get different spells, therefore be more diverse in how you handle a situation.
They are patching stuff quite regularly, and with streaming tech it's quite simple for them to do so. I've already gotten messages ingame to logoff and logback in to get the new content :D

Never played Kortor so can't compare :(

Hokutan
15-05-2005, 23:07
I played GW the first time when they had the world premier. I must admit, I really didn't like it and didn't think it would be any fun. But, having become so frustrated with World of Warcraft, I was hungry for something else to fill my gaming tummy. I heard alot of people raving about the game and I figured there had to be something to it that I didn't see during the WP.

So, I bought it on release and have been playing it ever since and loving it. It did take alot of getting used after having played Everquest, WoW and a couple of other MMORPGs over the last few years, but I was determined to give it a chance. I'm glad I did.

I have a level 20 Mo/Me and have done nothing but PvE content so far. I generally hate PvP because every game I've done PvP in, I saw no point to it. It seemed to be just a gank/fragfest with no real purpose to it. From what I've heard about the GW PvP, it sounds like they've done a better job with it and I intend to check it out soon. :)

The hardware requirements are pretty low when compared to other PC games that have come out in the last year, single player and multiplayer alike. Unless you have a really old PC, like older than 2 or 3 years, you probably won't have any issues.

Anyway, I highly recommend it and give it a little playtime before making your final judgement. The entire concept of the game doesn't really sink in until you've leveled up to around level 10 and have put a few missions under your belt. From that point on, you should be hooked. :happy14:

As Far as requirments go,i have an AMD athalon 700 procssesor and 384 ram,my computer is 5 years old,and the game plays great,exept for when i am in some busier Outpost districts.(will have a lil lag in those) Wich isn't too much of a hinderence because nothing really requires me to be able to move fast or get somewhere real fast in the Towns and outpost area's.

Wish i could afford to upgrade,but even with my modest computer the game plays Great!