PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining =)

wavey_davey
13-05-2005, 20:00
Hello Everyone!
I am currently thinking about joining this game, alot of people seem to really like it, and many reviews are excellent for it! There is only a couple of things holding me back, as I know even my crappyish PC will handle it.

1) Is it easy and well executed to find other players to play with in the "missions" so to speak? I am looking for a game similar to Phantsy Star Online, and wonder if this is similar?

2) Is there a "free trial" of sorts to try the game out? I don't really want to waste money on a game I might not like

3) Is the communtiy good? Nice friendly players?

4) Lastly, is the game casual gamer friendly? I not got much time to play games, and would like a great game to dip in and out whilst still making friends.

Thanks for reading, its either this game or PSO:BB, thanks!

Brigantia
13-05-2005, 20:14
My husband and I started playing Guild Wars after the nerf with SWG, and are really enjoying ourselves. You can pretty much log out anywhere, so you don't have to go back to a 'safe' spot. As for finding others for quests and such, I always see people asking for groups to join; or if you rather, there are henchmen you can take with you.

Speaking for myself and my husband, we are thoroughly enjoying it, and love the luxury of not paying monthly for it. My suggestion? Give it a shot. I'm sure you will love it.

Brigantia

wavey_davey
13-05-2005, 20:16
thanks very much for your reply! The thing thats stopping me, and really the only reason, is that I cannot acsess a free trial to try it out, even for a day. I am silly enough to have missed the beta weekends, and none of my friend have the game, is there a sort of "invite a friend" thing for me to use at all? Prehaps if there is someone kind enough could let me use it? Please keep the comments coming on how your loving the game :)

ReZon
13-05-2005, 20:33
1) Is it easy and well executed to find other players to play with in the "missions" so to speak? I am looking for a game similar to Phantsy Star Online, and wonder if this is similar? When you exit a city, you enter your own personal field where no other players are - you can choose to group up and go out or play it alone without interruption.

2) Is there a "free trial" of sorts to try the game out? I don't really want to waste money on a game I might not like. You know, there is no free trial, but I can vouch for this game being very PSOish. I just got it two days ago, and it's awesome!
3) Is the communtiy good? Nice friendly players? I've only solo ventured so far, but I'm sure you can meet some good people on these boards :D

4) Lastly, is the game casual gamer friendly? I not got much time to play games, and would like a great game to dip in and out whilst still making friends. Very casual friendly playing (which is good for me too).

Plus I'll add, that there is no monthly fee which I'm sure you already read. It's awesome :D

wavey_davey
13-05-2005, 20:36
sounding good ReZon :)
its a shame I cannot download the game and buy a key "online" so to speak! Well if more people convince me to get it I might consider going to buy iit ^^ keep the views coming!!!!

wavey_davey
13-05-2005, 21:58
anyone else got any comments?

Sevoe
13-05-2005, 22:01
Hello Everyone!
I am currently thinking about joining this game, alot of people seem to really like it, and many reviews are excellent for it! There is only a couple of things holding me back, as I know even my crappyish PC will handle it.

1) Is it easy and well executed to find other players to play with in the "missions" so to speak? I am looking for a game similar to Phantsy Star Online, and wonder if this is similar?

2) Is there a "free trial" of sorts to try the game out? I don't really want to waste money on a game I might not like

3) Is the communtiy good? Nice friendly players?

4) Lastly, is the game casual gamer friendly? I not got much time to play games, and would like a great game to dip in and out whilst still making friends.

Thanks for reading, its either this game or PSO:BB, thanks!

Wavey Davey --

No there is no "buddy key" or "friend trial" at this time. I know because I asked the sales guy at my local EB games who was pitching the game to me. He did a good job though lol.

I've played many MMO's, and I'm sure alot of people on this forums can attest to playing and logging in many hours in all the popular MMO's. Basically I started on EQ for about 3 years, then I played, AO, SWG, DAoC, FFXI, Neocron, EQ2, and WoW (which I still play). And now add Guild Wars to that list.

I was also concerned like you, wanting a trial because I simply didn't want to blow money on a client thats going to sit there and collect dust after the game pisses me off or slowly begins to suck. But there was alot to the game that was appealing, which was explained to me by the sales guy at EB games.
After 40 minutes of talking about Guild Wars, I just bought it because I had to see for myself. I'd only be out 50$ if I didn't like the game, and not say 120$ if I had to pay monthly fees.

The most appealing thing to me about Guild Wars is how everything is your own personalized instance for just you and your group, outside of the major cities/meeting areas. It allows for greater flexability of quests (meaning theres more types of quests as opposed to "kill 15 wombats" or "take this box there because I'm too lazy to do it"), and some of them actually affect the environment around you!

Gone are the "doz N E 1 kno where I can find <insert mob here>" or "what level do you have to be to kill <insert mob here>", you only find talk like that in the major cities. The use of henchman (straight out of D2, I love it!) is very innovative, and they aren't half bad really, for me atleast as I don't group very much anymore, and I only enjoy playing with my fiancee.

What GW gives me are all the things I love about MMO's: deep character developement, engaging storylines and quests (GW's quests are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of doing), neat looking spell effects and graphics, a lush, detailed world that I can experience, fast paced combat that isn't boring. GW's also seems to have cut out all the things I hate about MMO's: pick up groups (can't do them, not anymore... too many loose cannons out there), having to deal with people rushing up and stealing my kill, having to deal with Johnny LFG saying "invite me plz!!", and the spawn camping.. no spawn camping in GW since everything is your own instance.

There's really not much that I can say about GW; at this point the software will speak for itself. But being a pretty hardcore MMO'er for the past 5 years, I can honestly say that GW's has some very innovative concepts, and if it plays its cards right (the devs rather), it has some great staying power. If I were you I'd just buy it.... no monthly fee, optional expansions.. what more could ya ask for? A trial? Yeah, that would've been nice eh hehe... Anyhow GL, and hope to see you in game ...

The Sevoe Family

EDIT:
Thought I'd add, as said in other posts, the game is very casual friendly. So casual friendly it almost doesn't come off as an MMORPG... but its there =)

wavey_davey
13-05-2005, 22:29
thanks! great post to read! its just a shame I cannot download the game and just buy a key for it :) I might search for it tommorow if I have time from revising!

Sevoe
13-05-2005, 23:11
thanks! great post to read! its just a shame I cannot download the game and just buy a key for it :) I might search for it tommorow if I have time from revising!

You might be able to I think from www.plaync.com which is PlayNC's main website. Reason I suspect you might be able to is because from the Guild Wars main website, you can DL the client! Also, when you install the game from a boxed copy, you can either use an account key, or buy one from www.plaync.com ..

Theres not much more elaboration other than that I've found. I want to buy a copy for my fiancee, and I saw that whole deal. But she likes boxes and all that stuff just like me lol, so we're gonna be buying her copy this saturday.

Other than that, check out the plaync website and see what you can find =)

GL again!

Corrodias
13-05-2005, 23:23
the friendliness of players varies, as it does in any game. sometimes you'll have warriors who will run straight into the middle of enemies and then blame everyone else when they die. other times, you'll have people who are willing to help people through a difficult mission just because they have some spare time.

the greater problem in guild wars is the lack of wise players, especially in the farther cities, until after the Elona mission, which foolish players cannot pass. this means that, for example, it can be very tough to pass the Elona mission (you can find threads about that on this forum) because the other players in pickup groups don't want to cooperate, or don't know how to. you might even be better off with just henchmen for some missions!

as of a few days ago, only a few of the players who had made it that far were good enough to get past it (Elona, again). however, by the time you get there, if you haven't started the game by now, there should be plenty of us who know what we are doing (that isn't to say that i do know what i'm doing, but i mean us players in general).

as for trying the game before you buy it... i don't know how you can experience the game without buying it. i suspect AN will eventually have a free trial thing, but for now, what can we do? maybe someone can make a movie of gameplay, but it would look pretty crappy (capturing a decent length video takes a buttload of drive space).

GWPlayer
14-05-2005, 08:14
You can buy the game online. Download the client, and then create an account. You will have the option of getting a plaync account, or useing a keycode. If you do the "plaync" account, i'm pretty sure you can buy it online.

wavey_davey
14-05-2005, 12:57
aw I see thats great!! how much is it to buy a code? I have recently seen it at 17 at a game shop near me, is it better just to buy that?