PDA

View Full Version : My 4+ hour trip to Camp Rankor...with a few pics!

jyangwrites
14-05-2005, 01:55
Hey all, I made it to Camp Rankor (and subsequently Draknors) last night and thought I'd share this tale for all the wound-be travelers who want to make that horrible, twisted journey.

My first and foremost advice, make sure you have a reliable ISP and computer, we lost two good men during our trip, including a friend of mine who toughed it out to the very end only to be disconnected right before we hit the gate to Rankor.

This is going to be very long (4+ pages), so if you’re still willing to read, grab a cup of coffee and juice up.

Beacon's Perch.

Me and a friend of mine started here looking for people to join up for a party. I know what you're thinking, a random group of people making it through Lornar's? You're crazy, stupid, and you must be high on something or at least suffering brain damage.

It's such a gamble to do this with complete strangers, who knows what could happen? What kind of party members might you get?

A griefer with a wurm fetish? Or maybe the countless low level people who believe Lornar leads to the next town. It was tough finding a party and we failed a couple times before we met what would be our final troupe.

2 Warriors, 1 Ranger, 1 Monk, 1 Necromancer and 1 Elementalist.

And incase you were wondering...there wasn't any Sprint!! or Endure Pain.

Yep, the most common and talked about method of running through Lornar's and we didn't try it. There was one moment when we regretted it, cursing ourselves, and we almost gave up. Instead, we forged on and learned to make the best of our situation.

Lornar's Pass

Our leader was a Ranger/Monk with a penchant for luring in creatures. He had tried and failed Lornar's over fifty times. The experience had paid off, he told us we'd have to fight our way through. If we ran, we'd simply die and rack up an early DP. So he lay out his plans for us. The Imps, Pinesoles, Ice Golems, even the Frost Wurms, we'd slaughter. Lay them into bloody heaps for our Necro to feast on. And the Aviraca? Well, we'd avoid those like fresh yellow snow.

Outside the gate from Beacon we took the left path because of the Aviracan patrol that comes on the right. Imps and Pinesoles were there to greet us. Since Pinesoles are just regular melee ranged attackers they were nothing to give a second thought to. However, the Imps are a different story. They carry magic, like Mind Freeze, that can hamper your ability to fight. So we took those out first, then the Pinesoles.

Further ahead were the Ice Golems, and they were no trouble either. We only had one main strategy at this point.
Our leader ranger would draw them in, small groups at a time, and we would bury them into the cold. Our warriors rushed them, pounding their bodies with steel, while the casters, me and my friend, sent them a fiery welcoming. Our brave monk covered our wounds with incredible healing prowess.

This continued on, as we cleared most of the creatures away from the area right outside Beacon’s.

Past the triple fork and near the tunnel at the end. There were the Frost Wurms waiting for us. 4 of them, 2 of which come as an inseparable couple. We cleared away all the other monsters so we could deal with these scaly monstrosities on our own terms.

Our ranger lured a wurm (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/frost_wurm.jpg), and another. And then the final two. And we slayed them all without any real harm. The same procedure each time. The warriors tanked, I cursed them, followed by fire from me and my friend. The ranger injected his poison arrow and the monk kept us alive. After each battle we’d recharge in a blood well. This was our strategy, and although it was very time-consuming, it worked very well.

Lornar's Pass wound up being the easiest part.

We passed through an ice cave (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/ice_cave.jpg) and found a unique Pinesole, Quickroot (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/quickroot.jpg) . No problem for our team.

We passed an exotic, abandoned temple (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/temple.jpg) , which one of our party members warned us to not enter for fear of a quick death.

And finally, as we rounded a mountainous bend, we saw it: a shining resurrection point and an icy red flag (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/end_lornars.jpg) proudly proclaiming...

Dreadnaught's Drift.

Once we got in, we came face to face with a giant circular mining area filled with Doylaks, over twenty strong. Their patrols had spotted us and already descended to mutilate our party. Now, we have a problem.

We took hits and were being swarmed. Luckily one of us re-zoned and we went back to Lornar’s to regroup.

But something was off, we were missing someone. One of our warriors had disappeared completely from our party list. Possibly dropped right before we rezoned. Whatever it was, we don’t know. More importantly, he was gone, and he was one of our tankers.

He helped us get through Lornar’s so I was thankful, but also sad that he had left us at such a dangerous time. Here’s where things started becoming…difficult? No, insane, impossible?

Bottom line, we were screwed.

We reentered the Drift and after many futile attempts at running, we realized that the Doylaks round the path on patrol and if we waited we could piggyback behind them and not be noticed. This worked, until we got to the other side and saw the meat market of Tundra Giants waiting for us.

There was only one plan now that we could think of. Run. Run for our lives and pray that one of us survives and makes it. We had no Sprint, no Endure Pain, we really shot ourselves in the foot, didn’t we?

Over two hours ago, way back at Beacon’s, we had decided against it. It came up in conversation. Big mistake, but there wasn’t anything to do about. That was the past, this is now, and our impending doom and ever-increasing DP is what is at stake.

We tried flanking, we tried running in a straight wave, we tried a buff-decoy using our only warrior and nothing worked. Too many giants. Too many stones. Too many concussions.

By now we all had -60%DP. We had failed at killing off the Doylaks, only managing to take out a few. The two Doylak Masters and their healing spells proved too much for our less-than full team. It was getting hopeless.

There was talk of quitting and giving up. But we worked too hard and too long just to get here. And this is the smallest of the areas we needed to pass through to get to Camp Rankor. We needed a new plan.

As it turns out, one of the Tundra Giants stood apart from the rest of the group. It just kinda hung around, watching the Doylaks for fun. This would be our target, we lured it over and killed it. Easy enough.

Then we lured two more over, the Giants don’t seem to care that much about protecting their own, and we killed those as well. So with their numbers reduced somewhat we gave it another go. Buffed-warrior + suicidal decoys = success.

The warrior crossed over and we were resurrected in the third and final area leading to Rankor.

Twin Snakes (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/twin_snakes.jpg)

This was it, the final stretch. A long path filled with many different twists and turns and a ton of Tundra Giants, Mountain Trolls, Blessed Griffons, Doylaks, uber-Grawl, and whatever other icy treats lurked between us and our destination.

Again, our best bet since we could not sprint was to fight it out. Same strategy, same methods, one less tanker, and we’re still achieving success. No kidding, our monk could heal with the hand of Dwayna. Although, with our max DP we also died a lot more than in the Drift.

We respawned a lot to fight through the Giants. Luckily there are places in the hills where you can hide behind a wall and the Giants won’t be able to hit you. Their targets, i.e. you, are obstructed and they’re too dumb to move around. So we cursed them, and firestormed them to death. This worked and we were working up our arrogance again. Some of us even had under -30%DP. Then it happened.

Our warrior went AFK while the rest of us were dead.

Yep, that’s right, more than halfway toward Rankors and we had an AFK’er. He had an emergency in real life, but we didn’t know that. And the rest of us were going insane, not sure what to do. We kept hoping he’d disconnect. (Although in hindsight it would’ve been infinitely harder without him) All of us swore we wouldn’t leave the instance, not after 4 hours of traveling south in this damn frozen wasteland.

Not after having to resort to eat food at our desks and stare at the screen, not moving an inch and always in fear of a disconnect. We even lost one of our members and we kept going.

An hour later, our warrior returned, surprised to find us still here. My friend had gone out to get a slurpee and I had to tell him over the cell phone to get his *** back to his computer so we could finish this. He hasn’t run that much the whole year. But we got back into action and pressed on.

After the giants were the Mountain Trolls, and we took out our pent up frustration on them. Lure, tank, kill. Lure, tank, kill. It was an endless stream of furry bodies.

We continued south-east picking trails by our maps and killing whatever got in our path including something I never saw before. An azure shadow. It was during this entire ordeal that we made the best use of the DoT-and-run. An invaluable tactic when you’re overrun with monsters.

Hit them up with a Damage over Time attack, whether it be curses, poison or mesmer spells. Anything of the sort, hit them and run. Run in circles if you have to. Just don’t let them touch you. That worked all too well, and then we reached the Doylaks.

These things had given us a major problem before because of the Doylak Masters and their healing skills. But they’re in our way, so they’ve gotta go. Unfortunately it didn’t work out as planned. Me and the other caster tried rushing the Master and got killed. The ranger also died. So all that was left were three Doylaks completely surrounding our warrior, who was stuck and couldn’t move. And our monk healing him.

Every time the monk tried to rezz, a Doylak would stomp, timed perfectly so that it would always be right before the spell was about to go off. We didn’t want to make the long journey back from the resurrect point but it wasn’t working and we got wiped out.

It was at this point that my friend got disconnected. His name just went grey in the box all of a sudden. Angry is an understatement. Do you know how rare it is to find a good group going to Lornar’s? A good group of strangers? It’s like getting that perfect seat in the movie theater where you actually have leg room.

But he was gone, and we died. And that’s when we found out about the second respawn point. If you should make it that far, the gods were kind enough to provide another point very close by.

We got up and had our revenge on the Doylaks. There was another group after that and we got those too. And then came the Doylak field. Just a huge amount, another twenty, it was like some kind of convention. Really now, is this some sort of cruel joke? I mean, the level 10 Stone Summits and Ice Golems, yeah that’s kinda cute in the ironic way. But this? This is downright torture.

So what happened? This time we ran. And this time it worked. We attacked the Doylaks and they all came rushing at us. Me and monk we ran backwards and they chased after us. Our ranger slipped ahead, up the path and into the gate. We made it to Rankor.

In closing, I hope you enjoyed this little story of mine. Despite the fact that it was excruciatingly difficult and nerve wracking, I have to say, that it was all worth it and hopefully everyone will find the time to make this long journey.

If you’re thinking to just run and not duke it out. I went from level 19 to 20 in the span of this trip. I also found some rare items and just had a plain ol’ lot of fun.

As you can probably see from the pics, our lowest level members were 17. Our ranger knew what he was doing as well as our monk and everyone else. Fire spells help a lot, DoT is a huge plus. Although we only had one healer. Our ranger was capable of restoring life too. I regretted not bringing a rezz signet but I wanted 2 higher damage fire spells to switch between.

If any of the members of my Lornar's party is reading, a huge shout out and thanks again for your devotion.

And incase any of you are wondering. Here's the finish line (http://home.nyu.edu/~yty200/gw/draknors.jpg) .

CyberHawk
14-05-2005, 04:41
Awesome story man.
Just wondering tho, will it take 4 hours for any party? Or were you counting that hour lost to the AFK'er. How long do you think it would take with a steady push and no disconnects, no afk's?

Nice pics btw. :)

Nobleman Azure
14-05-2005, 05:35
i went the other way around, from rankor to beacons and even at lv 20 i had troubles, luckily i brought a bow to lure and kill just like you guys did

congrats

jyangwrites
14-05-2005, 06:42
Awesome story man.
Just wondering tho, will it take 4 hours for any party? Or were you counting that hour lost to the AFK'er. How long do you think it would take with a steady push and no disconnects, no afk's?

Thanks!

We wasted a whole half-hour to hour on Dreadnaught's Drift because we didn't have a warrior with sprint. So if you cover your bases there, you're good.

Snake Dance (name error from my story) was tough because we were missing people, namely a whole tanker. So if you have a full party I'm positive it would go a lot quicker.

If you're gonna kill the mobs, you need to lure or else you'll just get swarmed so if you can do it quickly I think you could do the whole thing in 3 hours, probably less if the builds are just right.

I didn't add the AFK hour, which actually makes it over 5... :eek:

Cantos
14-05-2005, 11:35
Yay that was an awesome story!

Thul Rasha
14-05-2005, 12:16
I did this same trip yesterday with henchman.

Only, I started in Camp Rankor. :D

I was actually surprised you could get there that way. And I think it also took about 3-4 hours for me.

Edit: Oh, in that temple is a statue of grenth, you can kneel before it and get a morale boost.

Buddah
14-05-2005, 22:27
I did this same trip yesterday with henchman.

Only, I started in Camp Rankor. :D

I was actually surprised you could get there that way. And I think it also took about 3-4 hours for me.

Edit: Oh, in that temple is a statue of grenth, you can kneel before it and get a morale boost.
Much the same lastnight. Myself and one friend with 4 henchs in tow. We we're out of storage in our inventory long before we cleared Snake Dance.

Thalanor Thornhale
14-05-2005, 23:36
That was a really good story that made me almost want to cry :-). While reading your story, I had my CE soundtrack on in the background, so that the immersiveness of Jeremy Soule's music and the story of your journey almost made me feel that I was one of your team mates. Very well written! :happy34:

hakkafusion
17-05-2005, 04:36
where exactly is fort rankor?! I.. do not have it on my map, so i'm wondering how did you guyz get to it... ?

nvm.. got it =P

Mirali Sanova
17-05-2005, 16:53
Brilliant story! I've gotta race home from work today and try a run myself now :D :happy65:

Poster Nutbag
17-05-2005, 17:22
I also aggree, great story. In alot of respects its alot like living a D&D adventure. It is a story that you can tell your friends.
I have seen people moaning about the side quests being boring. Which yes, they can be repetitive and boring. (bring this to so and so and i will give this axe and 200exp)
But this story shows what a great quest can be. This was not a quest that was spelled out by the game. It was an adventure. It had high points and low points. There were victories and defeats. The ultimate goal was ultimatly achieved through many trials and tribulations. Even though you lost one of your players due to a lost connection or whatever, you could look at it like you lost one of you party members due to a real death. You made due with the cards that were delt. You adjusted your strategy. Now that is roleplaying!
I love this game ~sigh~

huxley maximus
17-05-2005, 17:29
Good story, I like it!

Pale Blade
17-05-2005, 17:43
Great story man! :happy34: I probably would have given up after losing the first person. I tried going from Lornar's once......and got any ego I had handed back to me. :( Congrats on your run.

Blackthorne Foehmmr
17-05-2005, 20:53
I made the same trip with a pick up team but it took us more like 5+ hours...can't begin to tell you how many boulders I took to the face that night. It is easily one of the most challenging runs in all of GW and highly recommend it...and NOT from Rancor going up to Beacon's Perch....you got to do it coming down, its more challenging to hit the worms first build DP and then try to make it the rest of the way.

Spottswoode
17-05-2005, 21:10
this is a noob question but where is rancor so i have an idea of just how far it is...

huxley maximus
17-05-2005, 21:39
I also aggree, great story. In alot of respects its alot like living a D&D adventure. It is a story that you can tell your friends.
I have seen people moaning about the side quests being boring. Which yes, they can be repetitive and boring. (bring this to so and so and i will give this axe and 200exp)
But this story shows what a great quest can be. This was not a quest that was spelled out by the game. It was an adventure. It had high points and low points. There were victories and defeats. The ultimate goal was ultimatly achieved through many trials and tribulations. Even though you lost one of your players due to a lost connection or whatever, you could look at it like you lost one of you party members due to a real death. You made due with the cards that were delt. You adjusted your strategy. Now that is roleplaying!
I love this game ~sigh~
Very true, quests can be boring but adventuring is always fun. I keep on going to dragons gullet just cuz I like the creepy area. I have been there five times and still haven't been able to beat the groups of 8-10 hydras sigh.

odinravenblood
17-05-2005, 22:04
great story, it was a good read :D id like more of those. and Btw is a doylak that big stone summit ram riding thing?

jyangwrites
17-05-2005, 22:20
great story, it was a good read :D id like more of those. and Btw is a doylak that big stone summit ram riding thing?

Yep, the big Stone Summit ram riders are called dolyaks (I mistakenly wrote doylak in my story)

And since I can't find the edit button on the my first post, I'd like to make some corrections to names and info in my story:

Aviraca is actually Avicara
Twin Snakes is Snake Dance
And there are no uber Grawl in Snake Dance, only Lornar's Pass.

Thanks for the positive comments all! I really appreciate you all taking the time to read my story! :D

EvilSage
18-05-2005, 00:10
that's a great story... me and one of my guild mates tried to just leave the pass... we made it about 10 feet and got dealt a hand we didn't expect... 2 lvl 15 N/R and N/Mo will not make it far LoL... Fire imps is about as far as we made... congrats on the great journey, i hope to make it someday

Pa Cho
24-05-2005, 12:08
some of u guys said u made it the other way around to beacons perch.
first of all how did u get to Rankor without getting to beacons first?

SLUGFly
24-05-2005, 12:23
thank you. This is a great account of your adventure and this kind of mentality is the reason I've wasted countless hours on an account that isn't mine and the reason while I'll soon be buying a cd and a new graphics card.

Good job!

Kir Izel
06-06-2005, 03:08
great story, i think it should be a movie.

actually if someone could record themselves going through the pass that would be really cool.

can you explain how you got through dreadnaught drift my party was doing great smooth and easy up untill then. And we were stuck at dreadnaughts drift from like 1 am till 4 am till i couldn't take it no more and went to sleep. We tried everything luring and running but we were never able to get more then one person through the dolyaks. And all of us were 19 and 20

Lydia Ashengard
06-06-2005, 03:24
It is easy to continue when things are going your way. But the persistence of your group to press on, when things look bleak and hopeless, is truly admirable.

J Unit
06-06-2005, 03:28
My party Ran there too, took us around five or six hours though.
We did pretty much the same thing as u guys accept for one thing: We killed every monster in dreadnaughts drift. It was impossible for us to run through.
nice story though.

BTW its called Snake Dance not Twin Snakes :P

Sclopper
06-06-2005, 03:39
as for the question of how to go from rankor to beacon perch if you start at yaks bend and head north you get to a curve go left then get to ice caves then you go down from there and you end up at the cave with snow ettins to go to kryta

TheQuickness
06-06-2005, 03:39
In case you wanted to know the temple is a temple of grenth I belive(maybe balthazar) and if your area currently had gods favor you could have bought morale there. or if your feeling like wasting the lornars pass expidition you could go to the UW.

my few times running that i have made it that far i always want to zone back and get rid of DP and stuff there, but we never had favor of gods.

And I dont remember seeing any enemies inside the temple.

Chaos Knight Soul
06-06-2005, 03:53
Awsome story man but one thing for every one who went your path... ROFL!!! It took me 30mins cuz i didnt take long way =P and i did with Henchies. pretty ez to runa cutally but once again nice story

Butterat
06-06-2005, 04:26
4+ hours of killing things... i bet you got some amazing drops... That should be where the real men farm...

Hunt3r_kill4
06-06-2005, 04:51
Very nice story telling skills

Do you write for a living? :D

I wonder how long it would take for a full party of level 20's who knew what they were doing to get through the pass?

Xiux X
06-06-2005, 05:49
Would it be a cool idea to have a second "vanity" armor set that you can only get from a crafter in the heart of the pass, like in dreadnought's drift or something? You could literally wear it as a badge of honor or something.... Just a thought.

Awesome story by the way! :happy65:

then emaris says
06-06-2005, 07:52
can you explain how you got through dreadnaught drift my party was doing great smooth and easy up untill then. And we were stuck at dreadnaughts drift from like 1 am till 4 am till i couldn't take it no more and went to sleep. We tried everything luring and running but we were never able to get more then one person through the dolyaks. And all of us were 19 and 20
The Stone Summit-Dolyak group patrols around the first "mountain," for lack of a better word. You'd have to run down the path that they're not in, then avoid the other Stone Summit who, after many runs and pulls, were out of aggro range when we hugged the western wall. Then after that it was just those damn Tundra Giants and their stone hurling, knock down dealing, annoying, loin-cloth wearing group, and another group and bam! Hopefully you're close enough to the next res point. :]

Awsome story man but one thing for every one who went your path... ROFL!!! It took me 30mins cuz i didnt take long way =P and i did with Henchies. pretty ez to runa cutally but once again nice story
Going from Rankor to Beacons thru the Snake-Dreadnaught-Lornar arc is easier since not only do you have eight party members total, those henchies are ridiculously stronger than our feeble group of 18-20's. ;) And eventually we only had like five players left for the last arc thru Snake Dance.

Do you write for a living?
He does. :p

Would it be a cool idea to have a second "vanity" armor set that you can only get from a crafter in the heart of the pass, like in dreadnought's drift or something? You could literally wear it as a badge of honor or something.... Just a thought.
They have to make sure you're doing it the hard way -- going from Beacon's to Rankor. ;]

Xiux X
06-06-2005, 09:11
How about some quest then, that you get from some npc in beacon's perch? Something like "take this scroll to the enchanted crafter in dreadnought's drift, and he will create for you a butt kicking spiffy new suit?" It could also be really, really, expensive if you go from rankor's; that would create a good money sink for the high levels while we're all waiting for the expansion....

Sango
06-06-2005, 10:24
From Pa Cho
some of u guys said u made it the other way around to beacons perch.
first of all how did u get to Rankor without getting to beacons first?

That because the people acended and ended up in Droknar's, they can simply walk to Camp Rankor from there. Sort of an advantage doing it the other way because you can select a party of 8 and you also can use the help of lvl 20 henchies.

Also, the Snake dance has been made easier with this latest update since it was harder before. I cannot confirm the other two areas thou if they were changed.

Mr Dead Wish
06-06-2005, 11:16
Awesome story man.

I think even with max lvl 20 it takes at least 2 hours (thats how long it took me).

And disc, afk, ppl having to go always happens :rolleyes: .

darkshark
06-06-2005, 13:25
Great Story, very well organised
I'm getting the game very soon and hopefully tommorow

Why don't you make a fast movie out of your trip? or just a long movie, a 5 hours divx movie would be great and also would beat WoW boring movies :happy53:

thanks for sharing

Winterfall
08-06-2005, 15:09
Hey all, I made it to Camp Rankor (and subsequently Draknors) last night and thought I'd share this tale for all the wound-be travelers who want to make that horrible, twisted journey.

Great story! :happy14:

I enjoyed reading about all the ordeal you guys went through to get there.

Good to see a happy ending and congrats to you all :happy65:

- W

Crimson Stigmata
08-06-2005, 17:22
I don't normally read mile long posts but you got really good storytelling skills that I read through the end. And I am someone who doesnt like reading in general at all ^_^

You just inspired me to try and run my lvl 18 mesmer to rankor. I sure hope you guys made a run to Droknar's Forge from Rankor and acquire the max armor for that game =)

asdar
08-06-2005, 18:02
Great story, as someone who's hooked on Lornar's and has made the trip 4 times congratulations. It's my favorite PuG place.

Note: A single person can clear Snakes with Hench from the Rankor side. Everything in every zone seems set up to stop parties coming from Lornars. It's not even the same journey. I'm a monk and I do collectors there for some cash.

On a second note I wish they'd do away with Running the 3 zones. I don't know how they would but a Wa/Mo with the right skills, which I won't share, can run this and I think that's a crying shame.

This is the first challenging thing in this game and to cheat it is a crime. I wouldn't be against it if they were just cheating for a PvE advantage, but I've seen level 9's in the Ascalon arena wearing Draknars armor on my alt and that's cheating real people and ruining PvP for newcomers to the game.

jlowry
29-07-2005, 22:25
Great story, as someone who's hooked on Lornar's and has made the trip 4 times congratulations. It's my favorite PuG place.

Note: A single person can clear Snakes with Hench from the Rankor side. Everything in every zone seems set up to stop parties coming from Lornars. It's not even the same journey. I'm a monk and I do collectors there for some cash.

On a second note I wish they'd do away with Running the 3 zones. I don't know how they would but a Wa/Mo with the right skills, which I won't share, can run this and I think that's a crying shame.

This is the first challenging thing in this game and to cheat it is a crime. I wouldn't be against it if they were just cheating for a PvE advantage, but I've seen level 9's in the Ascalon arena wearing Draknars armor on my alt and that's cheating real people and ruining PvP for newcomers to the game.

An easy "fix" for stopping runners would be to close the exit from Beacon's Perch to Lornar's Pass. You could still enter Beacon's Perch from Lornar's, but not leave that way.

I'd much rather see this "fix" applied than leave an open-ended route for all the impatient folks to get the best armor. I understand that getting better armor makes things easier, but I'm tired of seeing people spam in mid-game missions that they have max-defense armor (to people that do not and cannot afford it). If they are any sort of good player (IMO), they don't NEED the best armor to do mid-level missions. That's simply not how the game was designed. To use such benefits is just lazy and a form of legalizd cheating in my book.

It amazes me that a game with so many creative ways to be effective (even easily in most cases), that people would resort to such simplistic advantages simply to avoid thinking of better ideas. What a waste of such a crative and relatively balanced design! These people need to find a more brainless game to waste their time in.

NOTE: This is not a flaming post against ALL that have run there....mainly those who have "needed" to in order to survive by having the best armor. Those that adventure there by fighting instead of paying a rusher I applaud!

scamPOR
30-07-2005, 09:37
Very nice story telling skills

Do you write for a living? :D

I wonder how long it would take for a full party of level 20's who knew what they were doing to get through the pass?

I've cleared up through dreadnaughts with 7 hench in ~1 hour 3 times now.

scamPOR
30-07-2005, 09:38
An easy "fix" for stopping runners would be to close the exit from Beacon's Perch to Lornar's Pass. You could still enter Beacon's Perch from Lornar's, but not leave that way.

I'd much rather see this "fix" applied than leave an open-ended route for all the impatient folks to get the best armor. I understand that getting better armor makes things easier, but I'm tired of seeing people spam in mid-game missions that they have max-defense armor (to people that do not and cannot afford it). If they are any sort of good player (IMO), they don't NEED the best armor to do mid-level missions. That's simply not how the game was designed. To use such benefits is just lazy and a form of legalizd cheating in my book.

It amazes me that a game with so many creative ways to be effective (even easily in most cases), that people would resort to such simplistic advantages simply to avoid thinking of better ideas. What a waste of such a crative and relatively balanced design! These people need to find a more brainless game to waste their time in.

NOTE: This is not a flaming post against ALL that have run there....mainly those who have "needed" to in order to survive by having the best armor. Those that adventure there by fighting instead of paying a rusher I applaud!

They definately need to leave it open.. I've played 4 chars all the way throug the game.. For my 5th I ran her myself (2 comps, 2 accounts (accidental, but nice) I don't spam I have the best armor, but I do like the ease which needs to come so I can get to the end game content that I actually enjoy.

spectorz
30-07-2005, 23:20
I want to do the run myself, fighting of course not just sprinting though. I have done runs though and know the terrors that are on that nice little path.... it can be done if you have a strong group (not with skills really... but with teamwork/tactics) Be fun to do that as part of a passage into my guild :) if you can hack it out there then you are good enough to be in my guild lol :) and you can go to the underworld though lonars pass... a nice way to weed out the people who wont be able to take it.

LuciaArc
31-07-2005, 00:15
Great story. :) I never did it from Becon to rankor though, only the other way around with henchies, mostly because they chose to locate an obscure necromancer elite skill in an obscure place on an obscure boss.

JMFD
06-08-2005, 19:12
My group did it in 4 hours also a while back- 1 afk for a short duration (Emergency with his kid), but he suicided and rejoined us as soon as he was able.

Dreadnaughts drift was the major clogging point for us; we accumulated a tonne of DP there and the warriors said "screw it, we'll run it".. and they did ;) with the help of several monk prots we bought along for the fights.

Note our group were all in shiverpeaks/LA armour, it would likely be faster if you were in the desert or even drokars armour