PDA

View Full Version : Monk/War or War/Monk???

molab
14-05-2005, 05:24
Hey Guys...
My pc is having a bit of down time so it gives me a chance to check out the forums and see how all is going in here...
I'm having troubles trying to decide which kind of char I want to play... I def want to be either a War or Monk primary... unfortunately the models of the Ele/Nec/Mes are just too upsetting to consider...
I am currently playing as a Monk/War and he seems ok... Very nice healing, and constant dmg, and the smite spells are nice...
I'm just wondering if anyone end game can give me some pointers, I like playing classes in games that can heal themselves, i dont like relying on others(friar in DAoC, anathealmage in UO, priest in WoW), So I trying to find the build that'll be more enjoyable to stick to endgame... Will a Monk/War be decent in pvp? Like will Melee/smiting output enough damage to be able to have fun? And how do attribute points work higher up, for example if i wanna spec out of smite/heal/sword to heal/prot/div to be a main healer for a few games, how hard is it to work back your points?Thanks heaps for reading this long winded crap... and all the help is greatly appreciated.

this_barb
17-05-2005, 08:43
The beauty of Guild Wars is that every class can damage. Smiting Prayers are a bit inferior in PvP but in PvE, they're actually pretty nice. Take Balthazar's Spirit, for example. It replenishes you with a good load of energy as long as you take hits. Using Healing Hands, that should be NO problem at all. Also look at Shield of Judgment, this gives you more power against attackers than a Mesmer does (in some cases). It does damage and knockdowns all your attacking enemies. I don't personally recommend going healing AND attacking in PvP as this game was designed on the fact that each member of a team would have to rely on each other to survive. If you spread yourself too thin, you won't excel at anything and will, inevitably, die.

DutchSmurf
17-05-2005, 10:12
The risk with Mo/W is that you will be one of the first targets. That is why you never should play E/Mo when you are not a healer. Same problem here, don't looking like someone who can heal is your main protection in PvP.

Greenish Mango
17-05-2005, 16:22
The risk with Mo/W is that you will be one of the first targets.

Kay that isn't too much of a problem, if they target you, and your just doing your usual 'attack ye other's team's monk' you'll just get healed by your own monk! Being the first target isn't much of a problem when you're not a healer, a non-healer wil rez you with a signet asap and you'll be back in action in no time.
When you áre a healer (like mee pvp char. :rolleyes: ) it's an issue, when you're not, it's just in favor for the rest of your team. right?

DutchSmurf
17-05-2005, 17:25
No, since a good team will soon realise that somebody else is healing you, cast a backfire on him and kill you. And after you are killed once, it only starts getting worse. But here you see the difference between tombs/gb and the arena's. You can be succesfull in one and fail in the other. This build I think does nice in arena's, but not in tombs. But you can try it ofcourse.