PDA

View Full Version : my PvM build

Tyrius
15-05-2005, 02:29
Pure Monk

10 Healing
11 Smiting
10 Protection

1) Healing Touch [Healing Prayers] (5,1,5) Spell: Heal target touched ally for 16 health. Health gain from Divine Favor is doubled for this spell.

2) Orison of Healing [Healing Prayers] (5,1,2) Spell: Heal target ally for 20 health.

3) Reversal of Fortune [Protection Prayers] (5,0,2) Enchantment: The next time target ally would take damage, that ally gains that amount of health instead, maximum 15.

4) Symbol of Wrath [Smiting Prayers] (5,2,30) Spell: For 5 seconds, foes in this location take 25 holy damage each second.

5) Zealot's Fire [Smiting Prayers] (10,1,30) Enchantment: For 60 seconds, whenever you use a skill on an ally, all foes adjacent to your target are struck for 34 fire damage.

6) Mending [Healing Prayers] (10,2,0) Enchantment: While you maintain this enchantment, target ally gains health regeneration of +1.

7) Balthazar's Spirit [Smiting Prayers] (10,2,0) Enchantment: While you maintain this enchantment, target ally gains adrenaline and energy after taking damage.

8) Signet of Judgment [Smiting Prayers] (0,2,30) Signet: Target foe is knocked down. That foe and all adjacent foes take 59 holy damage. This is an elite skill.

What do you think?

What the max number of attribute points you can have?

Diast
15-05-2005, 08:40
Depending on how you want to play, this could be a good build, but it is not my personal style.

Personally, I think mending is a waste simply becuase without +4 Energy regen your mana will drain to quickly and place you in that "Useless monk" field, where your mana is at 0 and you can only cast one 5 mana spell every so often.

Even with Zealots fire, symbol of wrath, and balth's spirit, the dmg that you do is pretty small compared to what you could be doing like healing or protecting. While the monk can smite, the true power of the monk comes from healing and protecting. You will learn this later on after ascension where you have 7 other party members to heal and protect plus yourself to worry about. And with Balth's spirit taking 25 mana to cast for just 10 seconds of dmg, being a smite monk just isnt worth it towards end game.

Also, it's pretty much worthless to use reversal of you dont have high protection prayers, at least 9 or 10 in my opinion. When you cast reversal, they will get your dev bonus, about 30 hp, plus when they get hit the hp from that, which is only 15. Where as if you had high prot prayers, you would get that reversal max to about 60, then they get 30 from dev favor, + 60 from reversal, making it almost 100 hp for one cast of 5 mana.

hireath
15-05-2005, 17:40
you might aswell go E/Mo and be pure smiting if you dont intend to use divine favor, and have the E bonus of 80 energy.

more tips, to keep your energy up with those enchantments you would need to take a lot of damage. so you would need a lot of defensive buffs otherwise you would need all your energy healing yourself.

zealots fire looks good on paper, but it is really bad in my experience. later on, the armored foes take about 10 damage and it really isnt worth it. i think holy smiting ignores armor, or elemental armor at least. but unfortunately zealots fire is fire damage and has very little use late on.

large cooldowns and high energy costs on the better smiting skills make them only worthwhile against undead foes.

i would suggest be smiter or healer. if you want to be a smiter you do not need divine favor at all, so you should really go elementalist primary, and have double energy.

Cartigan
15-05-2005, 19:12
you might aswell go E/Mo and be pure smiting if you dont intend to use divine favor, and have the E bonus of 80 energy.

more tips, to keep your energy up with those enchantments you would need to take a lot of damage. so you would need a lot of defensive buffs otherwise you would need all your energy healing yourself.

zealots fire looks good on paper, but it is really bad in my experience. later on, the armored foes take about 10 damage and it really isnt worth it. i think holy smiting ignores armor, or elemental armor at least. but unfortunately zealots fire is fire damage and has very little use late on.

large cooldowns and high energy costs on the better smiting skills make them only worthwhile against undead foes.

i would suggest be smiter or healer. if you want to be a smiter you do not need divine favor at all, so you should really go elementalist primary, and have double energy.

If his points are distributed without divine favor, why would he invest any in energy storage? None the less, I would suggest changing to a dif primary profession if you arn't using divine favor because if you intend to pvp (you will eventually even with pvm), you won't be the first target.

Zealot's fire is decent if you intend to do alot of healing (which you wont be too useful with 10 healing, i have 10 healing and 10 divine favor and don't go healer). Symbol of wrath - useless, only effects people attacking you. Use balthazar's aura instead. Why the HELL do you have healing touch? You have ZERO divine favor. Zero * zero = ZERO. Put in heal other, or another protection spell. heal other or aegis or life bond. Why use mending? Weak regen for a loss of energy, try healing breeze.

And yeah you are pure monk, but you are trying for jack of all, doesn't work. It might works for other professions, but not for monk

to diast: if you are ONE healer in the crystal desert trying to save everyone, even with the max divine favor and healing, you are dead.

SojakFA
15-05-2005, 20:51
I'm gonna agree with the folks saying switch to a different primary. Without Divine Favor there is zero reason to be a monk primary, it just paints a huge target on you, even in PvE

corporateslave
15-05-2005, 21:29
yo... read the title of the post "my PvM build"

since he stated this is his pvm build, and it is so easy to change attribution points around, I am guessing this is not the same build as his pvp build. which means he probably dropped points in divine favor for better pvm effectiveness. so stop telling him to switch classes because he has no divine favor, since he probably uses it in pvp. I guess you guys are either ignorant or you just don't change your build at all for different situations....

also, to the guy who said reversal is worthless if you don't have high protection: read his post. he has 10 protection, jesus!

Tyrius
15-05-2005, 21:33
yo... read the title of the post "my PvM build"

since he stated this is his pvm build, and it is so easy to change attribution points around, I am guessing this is not the same build as his pvp build. which means he probably dropped points in divine favor for better pvm effectiveness. so stop telling him to switch classes because he has no divine favor, since he probably uses it in pvp. I guess you guys are either ignorant or you just don't change your build at all for different situations....

also, to the guy who said reversal is worthless if you don't have high protection: read his post. he has 10 protection, jesus!

Well i'm not using this build for PvP that is why i dont have divine favor. Going to mainly use it for rune hunting.

Cartigan
15-05-2005, 21:55
Despite the fact you get relatively infinite attribute point refunds, ti doesn't mean you can go around changing stuff willy nilly. Unless you are only using teh character to unlock stuff instead of really playing it, you will be using it to pvp eventually

Yeah, he included teh base effects, they arn't adjusted for attribute level, I have no idea why not...

SojakFA
15-05-2005, 22:16
Besides, Reversal is pretty useful even without points put into Protection. I'm still using it and my Mo/E is Divine/Healing/Earth. Of course, once I get something better (eyes Word of Healing or Healing Hands) I'll drop it like the plague, but it is still nice to soften the blow.

hireath
16-05-2005, 00:40
Besides, Reversal is pretty useful even without points put into Protection. I'm still using it and my Mo/E is Divine/Healing/Earth. Of course, once I get something better (eyes Word of Healing or Healing Hands) I'll drop it like the plague, but it is still nice to soften the blow.

reversal of fortune with 0 protection attributes basically lowers damage you receive by 30.

it is spammable etc, but there are better protective spell enchantments which are more energy efficient for softening heavy blows. it is quite useful for monks focusing more on protection than healing with attributes set up likewise, but not every shot can be blocked. check out the elite mark of protection, the reversal of fortune elite.

corporateslave -

divine favor is just as useful in pvm as pvp. with 12 attributes in divine favor, every monk spell (even non healing) will heal allies for +38. which turns spells like orison of healing into very useful tools.

what i was saying, is that if he is not using divine favor for that healing boost, then there is very minimal reason for him to choose monk primary. where if he chose an elementalist primary, he could take advantage of energy storage and have about 80 energy.

to the original poster, it seems you were talking of a solo build, well it would work early on. but smiting skills are designed to be supporting spells really, and i would be very impressed if you could hold your own in the later stages of the game. undead would feel pain, but i fear most other baddies would simply host a party on your corpse.

the beauty of this game is that you can perfectly tweak a build to suit yourself. but i dont believe monks (or any other class) are capable of going solo in the later areas. i would suggest that you choose either dmg dealer or healer/protector, if you want to go damage you should be E primary for extra energy. as a healer noone wants you wasting your energy on low dmg smiting skills, and you should be targetting allies not foes.

DerHaggis
18-05-2005, 01:35
to diast: if you are ONE healer in the crystal desert trying to save everyone, even with the max divine favor and healing, you are dead.

....preach