PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Shredding/Tons of Artifacts

Foxfire
15-05-2005, 02:46
Something is very wrong with my system... It runs everything AUSOMELY at highest settings, EXCEPT when I turn on AA... Then I suddenly get tearing and artifacts up the wazoo...

Specs are below... (what worries me is that my friend runs it on a 9000 with AA):

2.8Ghz P4 Desktop Processor (hyper threaded)
1024 Megs of DDR ram
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 gfx card (yes this is my laptop)
Latest Omega Drivers

I've tried leaving AA as application pref as well as trying to force it but it still tears... any suggestions?

What it looks like (this image is scaled to about 50%)
http://astralmoon.net/fox/guildwars/pixels.PNG

Corrodias
15-05-2005, 03:27
it could be because of heat (especially if you are overclocking). try running the game with your computer open and a fan blowing into it, as well as turning down your overclocking on everything if you have it.

you might also want to change your video drivers. use the Omega set (www.omegadrivers.net), if your manufacturer doesn't have new ones, because they also work on laptops. make sure you set a restore point before installing them, so you can undo it if you must, and follow the instructions carefully.

otherwise, like the doctor from the joke says, if it hurts, don't do it. turn off AA, as a workaround. :) i'm sure you want to have it, though, so i hope it's just a heat issue that you can fix.

personally, i hate AA. maybe i'm crazy.

Foxfire
15-05-2005, 04:11
unfortunatly, it is isn't overheating.... (its a laptop but i exposed the gfx card... and still nothing) and that screen was taken RIGHT after starting up... I'm running latest omega's and still does it... i wonder if anyone else with a 9600 mobility is getting this prob?

calderstrake
15-05-2005, 04:14
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 gfx card (yes this is my laptop)
Latest Omega Drivers
Laptop video processors of that series are not designed to be running AA or AF. the problem is lack of support for your hardware. this is done (like Corrodias mentions) with a heat conservation principle in mind. A simple rule of thumb for the future might be, 'if it causes problems, go back to the setting before when it ran smoothly'.

Foxfire
15-05-2005, 06:05
Laptop video processors of that series are not designed to be running AA or AF. the problem is lack of support for your hardware. this is done (like Corrodias mentions) with a heat conservation principle in mind. A simple rule of thumb for the future might be, 'if it causes problems, go back to the setting before when it ran smoothly'.

And again as stated above all other hardware in the laptop is desktop (it isn't a crappy system...) ALSO I stated my friend has it running on a MOBILITY 9000 also in his laptop WITH NO PROBLEMS...

it isn't an over heat issue...

I don't mind playing it without AA, I just would like to get it working...

also, the R9600 definatly supports AA cause it works in CSS just fine.