PDA

View Full Version : Praise for W/E

funkpanda
15-05-2005, 03:05
A warrior elementalist only works if u are knockdown+aftershock. Thats the only way they are viable.

My build is
12 Hammer
12 Earth Magic
8 Tactics

Earthshaker(E)
Hammer Bash
Counter Blow
Crushing Blow
Rez Signet( A MUST HAVE FOR PVP, to all you newbs who refuse to know that for some reason)
Watch Yourself/Berserker Stance(Varies)
Flurry
Aftershock

This build is all about taking out the casters quickly, and then moving onto the tanks
I can kill any caster in 5 seconds with full adrenaline on this build. Earthshaker/Crushingblow/Hammerbash/Aftershock.

The constant knockdowns interrupt casting, while i output a nice amnt of damage.

W/E arent useless, just a few builds will work for them.

TW III
15-05-2005, 05:12
Don't use tactics, it sucks. Use strength instead and take power attack. Res signet isn't a must at all, you can only use it once. It's a wasted skill slot. Both backbreaker and devastating hammer are better than earth shaker, the later is great when combined with heavy blow. Frenzy is better than flurry. Counter blow isn't really good either. You want to attack casters, mainly monks. They're usually busy healing, not attacking.

funkpanda
15-05-2005, 20:02
Without earthshaker, its pointless for me to use aftershock. Purpouse: TO get melee off our healer or casters and once their down, do some damage.
ANd I disagree about rez signet not being a necessity, if everyone in the group has it, it is invalubale its a fast and efficient heal, even if it is one use. My guild monks and w/mo always use rez sig + rebirth or rez spell. And it has been pretty successful.

I do like ur point about strength however. I'll look into that.

TW III
15-05-2005, 20:59
You can still deal lots of damage to a caster using devastating hammer, crushing blow, heavy blow and aftershock. Devastating hammer has a way lower adrenaline cost than earth shaker and combined with heavy blow you can knock them down again.
In my opinion res signet is a waste, the advantages are obvious, which is short casting time and res at full health, yet I think there can always be more useful uses for this skill slot, be it sprint or ward of melee.

This is the War/Ele I'm using:

Strength 13 ( 11 + 2 from major strength rune)
Hammer 12 (+1 from helm, +1 from minor hammer rune)
Earth magic 10
Stonefist Gauntlets
Skills:

Power attack
mighty blow
devastating hammer
crushing blow
heavy blow
aftershock
ward of melee
sprint.

TW III
16-05-2005, 03:10
:/ Frenzy instead of mighty blow, cant edit it anymore

Dragon Flame
16-05-2005, 04:46
if you're putting points into earth, take armor of earth, without it, you have no ability to take a full team pounding on you because you are about to kill their monk. This is a good combo, a good build that can deal great damage, and destroy a SINGLE caster. do not believe that a team playing on the defensive will always disregard the warrior. if the team realizes that you are what is about to kill their source of healing, they will kill you, and you have nothing to help you survive in this build, unless it is part of a team build.

on a (pretty long) side note NO that is NOT the only viable W/Ele build out there!! True, it's a good build, a good combo, but you cannot possibly say that it is the only one. i use a warrior ele with completely different approach, fire and sword, and its worked pretty damn well in PvP and PvE.

Attr:
Fire Magic: 10
Swordsmanship 11+2 (or +3 if i can find a major rune)
Tactics 10

Final Thrust
Hamstring
Sever artery
Gash
"For Great Justice"
"Victory is Mine"
Immolate
Conjure Flame

this build focuses not on being "anti" anything, but on working well against any class...except mesmers. The damage in this build is great, i use great damage skills, and take advantage of what they cause: conditions. With ViM, you gain 5 energy, and 40-50 (i forget what it is at my lvl of tactics) for every condition on your target...thats cripple, bleeding, deep wound, and burning...a good 160 point heal and a regain of 20 energy, while accually helping the team. and there's other good builds too...take the anti warrior, anti ranger W/Ele that employs Glimmering Mark and conjure lightning, causing blindness every 1.3 seconds with sword or axe to all adjescent foes. and all of this was one wrong post to prove you wrong.

thats the way GW works, it rewards creativity. stand out from the crowd, and you might do well. :happy34:

Feynt
16-05-2005, 05:12
Playing the other end of the spectrum, E/W, you can toss in Mark of Rodgort and go with high Earth magic for defense through Armour of Earth. With the Mark on an enemy (costing 25 energy, so without gladiator armour it's useless to a warrior primary) you can hack and slash them to death with a dragon sword, causing them to burn as you hack for a good 8 seconds (base).

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 06:02
You can still deal lots of damage to a caster using devastating hammer, crushing blow, heavy blow and aftershock. Devastating hammer has a way lower adrenaline cost than earth shaker and combined with heavy blow you can knock them down again.
In my opinion res signet is a waste, the advantages are obvious, which is short casting time and res at full health, yet I think there can always be more useful uses for this skill slot, be it sprint or ward of melee.

This is the War/Ele I'm using:

Strength 13 ( 11 + 2 from major strength rune)
Hammer 12 (+1 from helm, +1 from minor hammer rune)
Earth magic 10
Stonefist Gauntlets
Skills:

Power attack
mighty blow
devastating hammer
crushing blow
heavy blow
aftershock
ward of melee
sprint.
I am curious, where did you cap devastating hammer? I am still looking for it.

TW III
16-05-2005, 16:49
I am curious, where did you cap devastating hammer? I am still looking for it.
Ring of fire from some boss called cairn (or caim) pretty much at the end of the mission.

funkpanda
16-05-2005, 17:10
on a (pretty long) side note NO that is NOT the only viable W/Ele build out there!! True, it's a good build, a good combo, but you cannot possibly say that it is the only one. i use a warrior ele with completely different approach, fire and sword, and its worked pretty damn well in PvP and PvE.

Im just saying, that im sick of all the ppl that say W/E is dissapointing and that there is a build out there that has proven itself.
Btw, what armor set do u use? Cus Fire+Sword seems like itd take up a lot of energy.

huxley maximus
16-05-2005, 17:51
Don't use tactics, it sucks. Use strength instead and take power attack. Res signet isn't a must at all, you can only use it once. It's a wasted skill slot. Both backbreaker and devastating hammer are better than earth shaker, the later is great when combined with heavy blow. Frenzy is better than flurry. Counter blow isn't really good either. You want to attack casters, mainly monks. They're usually busy healing, not attacking.
wasted? hardly. If you can rez a person that has the rez spell your single rez use item actually turns into an infinite use rez spell. Use your head.

grimmolly
16-05-2005, 18:17
wasted? hardly. If you can rez a person that has the rez spell your single rez use item actually turns into an infinite use rez spell. Use your head.
Wow, lots of bad advice in one thread. Folks need to be mindful that we're not all uber gurus because we can beat up on pickup groups and folks testing new builds in the arena. We're all still learning this game. Rez signet is fine in the arena, but in 8v8 you need at least one real w/mo with a real resurrect. It's not a wasted skill slot, but it doesn't usually contribute to damage the way a resurrect does by keeping the team on its feet.

Also, aftershock gives damage with or without any knockdown and there's no requirement to use an area of effect knockdown to get the full effect on everyone. It'll hurt them even if they use balanced stance and all stay standing. W/E can be devastating with conjures, snares, and melee attack skills as well as earth magic combos. Don't forget that armor of earth slows you down and warriors spend most of their time chasing their weakened enemies.

TW III
16-05-2005, 19:09

Yeah exactly. And if you res a nuker and he kills the whole enemie team the res signet turns into a "kill the whole team signet". Sorry to disappoint you but that's not how logical thinking works.

manton
16-05-2005, 19:27
I have been trying many different setups with my W/E, and I would say they defiantly work in more ways then you first describe. I would not say they are crap unless you play them a certain way. It may take a bit more creativity to play a W/E then other W/? But that is what I like about them. Aoe + earth armor and adrenalin knockdowns work really well.

Feywolf Tigereye
16-05-2005, 20:03
From my experience in PvP and PvE rez signet is a complete waste.If they team kills your monk then from my opinion your a failure as a tank.First among all is SAVE YOUR MONK.Let the rangers and elementalists in your group take out THEIR monk.You beat their warrior down with Hamstring,Sever Artery Gash,(I use necro spells)Parasitic Bond and that tank is going down because monk will be too busy trying to heal themselves.But thats just my opinion,I don't PvP without my regular team usually unless I'm trying out new skills/spells.And as for people still learning the game,there are ALOT of people who have been here since beta such as myself.And if you read forums with good information you won't have much extra to learn,its basically learning as you go and learning to take advice in good stride.Now back to PvP strategy,as I said,you shouldn't go rushing for their monk.I've seen monks take on 3 warriors and still not die,all the while their warriors are killing yours or your casters.Always protect your monk and have the off-tank (ranger) and pure casters-> mesmers/elementalists take out their monk.I guarantee they can take out that monk faster than you can,(granted if they know which combos to use).My team (ancient chinese secret lol) takes out enemy monks in about 15seconds while I'm beating on the warrior thats on mine.Needless to say the groups die fairly fast.I'm not saying I've never lost,but myself and my team have had alot of practice after 2 years in beta as well as now.We know how to pull it off,and rez signet for a warrior is a waste if you know what you should be doing.

grimmolly
16-05-2005, 20:19
From my experience in PvP and PvE rez signet is a complete waste.If they team kills your monk then from my opinion your a failure as a tank.First among all is SAVE YOUR MONK.Let the rangers and elementalists in your group take out THEIR monk.You beat their warrior down with Hamstring,Sever Artery Gash,(I use necro spells)Parasitic Bond and that tank is going down because monk will be too busy trying to heal themselves.But thats just my opinion,I don't PvP without my regular team usually unless I'm trying out new skills/spells.And as for people still learning the game,there are ALOT of people who have been here since beta such as myself.And if you read forums with good information you won't have much extra to learn,its basically learning as you go and learning to take advice in good stride.Now back to PvP strategy,as I said,you shouldn't go rushing for their monk.I've seen monks take on 3 warriors and still not die,all the while their warriors are killing yours or your casters.Always protect your monk and have the off-tank (ranger) and pure casters-> mesmers/elementalists take out their monk.I guarantee they can take out that monk faster than you can,(granted if they know which combos to use).My team (ancient chinese secret lol) takes out enemy monks in about 15seconds while I'm beating on the warrior thats on mine.Needless to say the groups die fairly fast.I'm not saying I've never lost,but myself and my team have had alot of practice after 2 years in beta as well as now.We know how to pull it off,and rez signet for a warrior is a waste if you know what you should be doing.
Sigh, this is exactly what I was talking about. First, you tell us all how wrong we are as warriors to attack their monks when we should attack their warriors on our monks. Then, you tell us that you don't need the warriors to bring down their monks and that rangers and elementalists can always do it alone. Does this strike anyone else as a bit contradictory? Warriors aren't needed to kill a monk, yet you need to attack their warriors with your warrior, who might do less physical damage against the armor of other warriors, while the enemy elementalists and rangers are supposedly killing your monks (what happened to necros and mesmers). If you're going to give advice, use tact.

This started as a thread on W/E builds, so let's talk about them. What's your favorite W/E conjure build?

Feywolf Tigereye
16-05-2005, 20:22
Most people don't read this and use your tactic of warriors>> get monks.So their other classes are focusing on me as a warrior while I'm taking theirs down.My favorite w/e is focusing on earth magic for group/self defense.Fire works nice with Immolate and conjure flame,but my problem with w/e in general is costs TOO much energy.Warriors dont get enough to really be too much use on spells unless you use a stance such as Bonetti's Defense.I'd say the hammer build is pretty nice due to the knockdowns,and Aftershock with Earthquake and Crystal Wave is REALLY nice.But as I said energy seems to be a severe problem with this build.

And as for warriors on warriors it can either be even fight or you gain the higher or lower ground.It all depends on skill with W vs W.I did not say Ele and Ranger and Mes can do it alone ALL the time.Most of the time it works well if you know what you're doing.I'll give you a hint.Ranger using Poison and Pin Down.Mesmer using Energy Drain,Ether Feast,Conjure Phantasm.Ele using some sort of fire rain spell,Immolate,Conjure Flame.Dead monk.Finish off the team.

huxley maximus
16-05-2005, 21:19
Yeah exactly. And if you res a nuker and he kills the whole enemie team the res signet turns into a "kill the whole team signet". Sorry to disappoint you but that's not how logical thinking works.
Sure it does, my point is completely logical. If you rez someone who was dead with your single rez and they have a rez spell you would be able to attribute your single rez into many more rez's than that single. How can you even argue that?

this_barb
16-05-2005, 22:10
Sure it does, my point is completely logical. If you rez someone who was dead with your single rez and they have a rez spell you would be able to attribute your single rez into many more rez's than that single. How can you even argue that?

Because, thats putting it mathematically... but REALLY think about it.

If you were to use a res signet on a person who actually has a resurrect skill, not only does that Resurrect skill take a long time to cast but it also resurrects your fallen allies with a very limited supply of health and energy. Of course, if your entire team is already dead and you're going to use res signet on someone, the game is pretty much lost from that point on.

Resurrect or Restore Life or whatever may have unlimited uses but those uses are constrained by its cost and time. If you sat there for 8 seconds trying to resurrect someone, your going to die. 8 seconds is more than enough time to kill you with some proper skills.

huxley maximus
16-05-2005, 22:22
Lets just stop arguing and we can get back on track.

I like GW, I havent used a W/E

Dragon Flame
16-05-2005, 22:37
Im just saying, that im sick of all the ppl that say W/E is dissapointing and that there is a build out there that has proven itself.
Btw, what armor set do u use? Cus Fire+Sword seems like itd take up a lot of energy.
ah, i c.

i use gladiator's armor, yea, but thats just because i had all the materials to craft it as soon as i got to droknar's. my build would be fine with 32 energy (i use foci, a +12 one, not sheilds) instead of the 39 i have right now.

so yes, i sacrifice sheilds, but i really dont mind that much.

Lord Anthrax
18-05-2005, 15:42
I've been doing PvE for about a week now with a W/E, and I'm very pleased with what I can do. I just got to the Frontier Gate(yes, I'm taking my time), so I don't have a huge stack of skills, but I find that a Firestorm opener on a mob that'll stand and shoot(healer or ranged fighter), followed by my Warrior henchie charging him while I pull out Lava Font on any enemy warrior mobs charging past for my Monk henchie and start slashing away, works quite nicely. By then I've built up some Adrenaline, so I typically charge any remaining mobs and do Sever Artery-Power Attack-Gash and they're pretty well dead. With my Elementalist henchie kicking in what he can, the four of us have done quite well. Took some learning for me in aggro management to keep from getting swarmed so bad, but runs in the Breach for Charr Hides was a good practice tool.

ruadhri
19-05-2005, 07:44
Res signet isn't a must at all, you can only use it once. It's a wasted skill slot.

are you serious? res signet is totally needed, especially for a warrior since you can safely cast it!

Dragon Flame
19-05-2005, 22:23
are you serious? res signet is totally needed, especially for a warrior since you can safely cast it!
i dont use it, but i certainly can be usefull if your monks are dead.

TW III
19-05-2005, 22:42
Too bad restore life is way better.