PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companions in PvP

Wolven Fury
15-05-2005, 05:43
How effective, if at all, are animal companions in PvP?
I have an idea for a build R/Mo that focuses on an animal and healing. Any thoughts?

Torm Shadowbane
15-05-2005, 09:26
From my experiences people just tend to ignore pets. This is why a Minion Mancer (aside from the lack of corpses) isn't all that effective in PvP. Pets are more of an annoyance to the other team than a serious threat. They can help deal out a little extra damage, but that's about the extent of their usefulness.

As a Warrior/Monk I just go straight for the source. HOWEVER, if you really want to do this then you might take Monk/Ranger as your profession and focus mostly on healing or protection with the pet on the side. That would most likely be the best idea if you really want to do something like this.

Wolven Fury
15-05-2005, 10:30
Thanks for your input. I'll probably just go R/Mo, but not majoring in a pet.

Lucille Drako
15-05-2005, 22:27
does anyone know how to CHANGE the animal companion in pvp? I've finally got a bear in the PvE, and I know I've seen bears in PvP combat before, rather than just "elder wolf" - I'm very bored of my wolf, and a bear in pvp would be a larger, more intimidating target-

Please help- I haven't a clue what to do!

on a side note, whats the full list of tameable animals? I've seen;

stalker
lynx
warthog
Wolves of various descriptions
Bear
Desert Lizard

whats missing?

pryzmatik2
16-05-2005, 15:18
does anyone know how to CHANGE the animal companion in pvp? I've finally got a bear in the PvE, and I know I've seen bears in PvP combat before, rather than just "elder wolf" - I'm very bored of my wolf, and a bear in pvp would be a larger, more intimidating target-

on a side note, whats the full list of tameable animals? I've seen;

stalker
lynx
warthog
Wolves of various descriptions
Bear
Desert Lizard

whats missing?

there are NPC's that can remove your pet, such as Jarrel the Tamer, in pre-searing.

Check the ranger forums about the pets, I know you're missing strider, moa bird, and black widow from what you've listed.

this_barb
16-05-2005, 20:19
pets are more of a liability, dont you think?

If they die, your skills are shutdown for 10 seconds -_-

Phaeax
16-05-2005, 21:50

If you are using a PvP-only character, I don't know that you have a choice in pet. The people that are bringing in bears and other pets charmed them in PvE.

As for the usefulness of pets in PvP, they can be made viable, but you will have to invest heavily in Beast Mastery and pet skills. Bringing in a weak pet does tend to be more of a liability than a help.

Lucille Drako
18-05-2005, 15:12
nah- meatshields rock.

A level 20 pet, be it a warthog with no points in beast mastery at all, is still going to slow down the majority of opponents, giving you time to prepare that poison arrow, or lay that trap on the bridge between you and them... all a pet is about is buying time.

the worst thing that can happen is your pet dies during a high cost casting. you lose the cast that was underway, you lose the ability to cast for 5 seconds I think it is.

I think I'll build a ranger with the ability to rock out the pet skills- see how much damage the pet can actually DO.

I think damage wise, the bear is the equiavalent of the warriors hammer- right?

Wolven Fury
19-05-2005, 02:42
Yeah that was the idea I had. I wanted to use the monk as a secondary as a way to buff the pet some more.

Torm Shadowbane
19-05-2005, 06:26
Lucille Drako I think you are counting on people actually attacking the pet to buy you "time". I've always ignored pets if they were attacking me. If all that is left is the ranger with the pet (happens sometimes) and everyone is attacking the Ranger I might attack the pet and kill it. (Rather quickly I might add.) Other than that, the pet is pretty much ignored.

If you use a pet you have to think of it more as a DoT than a tank. Put it on a monk or a caster to annoy them. It can be made useful, then, but using pet skills is sacrificing the use of other skills. That just isn't worth it in my opinion because the Ranger has some great skills.

If you are a Monk primary and a Ranger secondary, sure a pet might be useful then as away to annoy that enemy monk or enemy Mesmer who is casting backfire on you... but other than that I don't see much use for it. And like someone else pointed out when the pet dies all of your skills are disabled for either 5 or 10 seconds. That is deadly.

Besides any pets I've ever attacked dropped quickly without even putting a dent into me, and I use a sword. And if a pet was causing me trouble I'd just hamstring/cripple it and switch back to my main target.

Unless the pet can successfully block your enemy from you (not likely) the enemy is going to gun straight for you, and it would be a faulty strategy for anyone to rely on a pet buying you "time". Unless, of course, you fight against a really stupid group who all go straight for the pet. However, I've been in plenty of groups that didn't know what the hell they were doing, couldn't assist on a main target to save their life, and they still had enough sense not to attack pets while there were more formidable threats about.

Plus in PvP you tend to change targets a lot, and if I am not mistaken a pet attacks what you target. A Ranger shooting poison arrows might hit one person with an arrow then switch to another, so your pet would effectively be doing the same and using it as a DoTů that makes it not very effective.

Lucille Drako
19-05-2005, 11:55
hmm, I do get your point. However my lvl 20 bear has grown so much he's almost as tall as I am (on all fours), and in terms of mobile road block- put him in a passage way that three people can fit through and you'll have a hard time navigating around the sides of him. One problem I always seem to get in pvp is so many people surrounding me that I'm blocked in.

Couple of rangers pets around you, and the rest of the team could go to town on you without breaking a sweat or taking personal damage.

No matter how fast you are - while you're fighting, I'll bet I could cast poison arrow and pin down before you killed a lvl 20 pet. And thats allowing that you need to charge up your adrenaline, and can then kill the pet with a few adrenal shots. hunters shot 8 seconds later as you're still limping towards me, and suddenly you have minus 6 pips, less than 2/3rds health and I start bashing you with other skills. All before you get to touch me. and thats assuming that I don't run away.

but thats 1vs1 and thats never going to happen. we all know that rangers are a warriors nightmare. (guess the name range - er says it all) the number of silly warriors running after me away from the group really make me laugh- I can go toe to toe with them, but they soon turn around and try and limp back to their healer. And all a warrior monk can do is chase me for that little bit longer before keeling over. The other point you made- that you'd ignore the animal means he can still buy me time because you'll actually have to backtrack to get to me if you're trying to avoid him. just a size thing. The wolf is not a viable blocking option.

with spellcasters- yes.. perhaps one quick cast "interrupt" companion attack would not be a waste of a slot.

although whoever mentioned having ranger as a secondary profession- I wasn't aware that 2nd prof rangers were allowed pets. Thought it was the point of being a ranger 1st. Hmm.. let me know either way.

Torm Shadowbane
19-05-2005, 14:52
I've never played a Ranger either as a secondary or a primary, but I really want to. A lot of people underestimate Rangers but they have a *WONDERFUL* set of skills that I can see a million uses for... I rarely see many Rangers use their class to it's fullest potential.

I'm not saying Beast mastery can't be used to some effect in PvP. I'm sure it can, and if you are skilled enough it might even be deadly. However, I know (from my prospective -- as someone who fights rangers) that pets don't scare me. I've never faced a Bear Pet (shockingly) but I'd love to just to see the difference. My problem with Beast mastery is:
1) The pet isn't all that much under your "control." It has a mind that is controlled by AI and that can make it some what predictable or unpredictable. Just like Henchmen.

2) You only have 8 skill slots. Having a pet makes you need to use AT LEAST one slot for charm animal, two if you want to resurrect it if (or maybe I should say when) it dies.

3) I look at all the Ranger skills and which ones I would like to take with me in battle if I were a Ranger, and quickly find that, unfortunately... I run out of space. So I really can't comprehend removing one or two slots for a pet. Especially since you are most likely going to bring a long the Res Signet, further limiting your space.

I just try and weigh the benefits vs the disadvantages in my mind, and I just can't seem to justify (to myself) bringing a pet along in PvP and putting points into Beast mastery unless they were "leftover" points. Having a pet is most certainly cool, but is something that I have to question as a smart move or not considering the other ranger skills and abilities.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure a Ranger secondary can invest in Beast mastery. I am 99.99% sure. The Ranger Primary Only skill is expertise. I could see a pet being beneficial to other classes, such as a warrior who took Ranger as a secondary. The extra damage it would do would make him a more effective damage dealer.

Lucille Drako
19-05-2005, 15:44
to be honest, I never res my pet in pvp- so I only ever use one slot on him- and I tend to survive most battles miles away from the healer, so don't waste a slot with a res signet. I use storm chaser (better than warriors sprint instead of res so that I can escape if in danger) I do that purposefully so that I don't waste the healers energy on locality spells. I use poison and necro skills as a pure support for the warriors on my team- you can never accuse me of not being co-ordinated!

You're right though- i nearly always lose my bear in pvp, but always get given a chance to do something nasty to the guy who kills my big black doggie. I've never met anyone who doesn't go for a pet if its in his way- maybe its just the teams I've fought- maybe its the flood of W/Mo, I don't know.

I still want a pirate class to be added!

Torm Shadowbane
19-05-2005, 22:43
Heh. I actually paid attention to pets today and I noticed that I was grouped with someone using a bear and fighting against someone using a bear. I probably have before, just never paid them enough notice or attention. Too busy looking for Monks and Casters, I guess. Anyway, I was watching the damage I was getting from the bear. I got mauled for 5 damage like 3 times before I killed the Ranger. I shoulda checked the pets level but I didn't, sorry. :(

I think a Warrior / Ranger with a pet would be an interesting combo. :p

Nahakra Brakhir
25-05-2005, 10:18
i think if you pump up your points in pets, for about 10, you can do some nasy things

i use 4 slots for my pet ( lots indeed! )
dont take comfort becuz if my pet dies, i ussually die very soon after, and the seconds you cant cast spells after you revive it issnt very nice, so i have room for a damage base redution spell on my pett, gaining 10 danage redution, that in combo with the call of haste, giving him 25 atack and 25 movment speed ( also very handy to kill running near death enemies) and a other spell wich i have to choose one from

-15 damage and bleeding
-15 damage and knock down when casing spell
-15 damage and another 15 if below 50 healt

usually i take the bleeding

nice about these skills are that 2 of them cost 5, on ten, and the are shouts so i cast them while i do some deathswarm, giving my pet huge bonuses for 20 energy is nice.

in a pvp hen we have trhee pets an they zero, it really makes a differnce!!! simple to much to klick on i think

i do wanna know the different between sorts of pets, i have a snow wolf now, i like this one the most, in fact they realy grow issnt it?

is there a different between them? and than wich is the best?

minetryk
02-06-2005, 05:26
My threory is that a pet could be nice for PVP in two ways.

1. If you're also a mesmer like me, and you try to isolate a monk or other caster.

you uses blackout,echo/blackout, and blackout again, all the while, they can't use a skill, I have 1 second between each to recast, and my pet hits them while im still flinging arrows, vampyric or otherwise. This is theory, im only lvl 15 R/Me and don't have blackout or arcane echo. But I have a pet!

2. There are a lot of rangers on your team and everyone has a pet, like say

the 8 of us and our 6 or 7 or 8 pets against the 8 of you. ignore 1 pet, sure, being chased by a zoo..... priceless.

DutchSmurf
02-06-2005, 15:43
A pet can be a great help in PvP, but only if you are using atleast 3 skills for it. Just like your bow/sword/.. is only effective when you use skills for it. Rangers many options and you just can't use them all. If you take a pet and want a bow too, then you can't expect to have high wilderness survival and something of your secundairy.

Pip
03-06-2005, 04:58
Can someone make a list for me of where i can tame the pets but i wanna know where u can get a bear cuz i tried in pre-searing and it broke my capture spell

Kiru Malkav
03-06-2005, 16:14
2. There are a lot of rangers on your team and everyone has a pet, like say

the 8 of us and our 6 or 7 or 8 pets against the 8 of you. ignore 1 pet, sure, being chased by a zoo..... priceless.

Aww man, I so want to see that.