PDA

View Full Version : Gaining the spells of other classes

Count Valamyr
15-05-2005, 20:02
I'm somewhat fascinated by the spells that allows you to grab those of others, such as inspire hex/enchantment, that spell that lets you mimic and ally's elite skill, etc.

My question: I just realized that in many cases youll have 0 skill points in the school of magic. For exemple, if my mesmer "steals" a water hex using a hex drain spell and wants to use it, will it cast using an effective attribute level of 0 in Water, or will I somehow have the proficiency level of the original caster?

Thanks!

The Catfish
16-05-2005, 00:36
The power of the "stolen" skill is based on your attributes. Say you have 0 points in curses, and a Necro on the other team has 10 in curses and puts a hex on your teammate. If use inspired hex on that teammate, the power of that hex is based on your 0 curses, not on your opponents 10.

Count Valamyr
16-05-2005, 03:04
Sucks. I knew there had to be a catch. :)

Nobleman Azure
16-05-2005, 04:38
yes, teh main point of these steal spells is to be able to use something unexpected, but that isn't much of an advantage so they added the energy gain along with it.

On the other hand, spells like arcane thievery is an effective 20 second disable to one random skill the opponent have, this at times can be very handy.

Ice Cream Emperor
16-05-2005, 07:39
yes, teh main point of these steal spells is to be able to use something unexpected, but that isn't much of an advantage so they added the energy gain along with it.

At the same time, it would be pretty cool to see some organized guilds forming builds around this kind of 'elite sharing' -- if you can guarantee the presence of an ally with 'elite skill X' then why not come up with some weird build that uses it?

Just toss in a little arcane echo and have a whole party of mesmers spamming some crazy, supposedly-unspammable elite skill.

(Okay, this is probably ridiculous -- but it would be pretty funny.)

Count Valamyr
16-05-2005, 08:04
Well the most effective use is for two mesmers with complimentary elite skills to both use the spell that allows them to copy each other's elite skill, while making sure both mesmers have the necessary attributes to cast it well.

Its basically a complicated way to have 2 elite skills at once.

Nobleman Azure
16-05-2005, 08:31
Well the most effective use is for two mesmers with complimentary elite skills to both use the spell that allows them to copy each other's elite skill, while making sure both mesmers have the necessary attributes to cast it well.

Its basically a complicated way to have 2 elite skills at once.

that is correct *claps* nice, thats creative thinking that all mesmers should be required to have ^_^

Pylat
16-05-2005, 13:09
put in the 2 echo spells from the illusion magic school.
then copy 3 of ur allies elites, and u have 4 mesmer elite skills !!!
:idea: :idea: :idea: