PDA

View Full Version : Game freezes every 5-30 minutes, or not at all.

Powercat
15-05-2005, 20:06
My game ran fine for a few days, but then started freezing every 15 minutes. A day or two later it worked fine for several more days, but then started freezing every 5 minutes!
I just reinstalled windows, installed the patches, videocard drivers, soundcard and LAN card drivers and the game still crashed. I tried older drivers and the game was able to run 30 minutes without freezing, but eventually froze.

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 01:59
My game ran fine for a few days, but then started freezing every 15 minutes. A day or two later it worked fine for several more days, but then started freezing every 5 minutes!
I just reinstalled windows, installed the patches, videocard drivers, soundcard and LAN card drivers and the game still crashed. I tried older drivers and the game was able to run 30 minutes without freezing, but eventually froze.
What is your video card and what settings are you using in-game?

hotdogtesting
16-05-2005, 02:11
There are three things I would suspect:

First, your computer may be compromised with spyware/adware/malware. Just reinstalling windows may not get rid of them, especially if you are on an "always-on" internet connection (Cable, ADSL, etc.). I believe a recent study by HoneyNet found that an untouched and exposed computer will get infected in under 10 minutes.

Second, your computer may have an error with your video card. If this is the case, try installing the latest drivers or the previous most up-to-date drivers (i.e. if the drivers are for May 15, 2005, try one from before then). If the drivers are not at fault, you may have a hardware issue best solved by a service technician (NOT "MY FRIEND WHO KNOWS A LOT ABOUT COMPUTERS!")

Third, your RAM may be faulty. There are numerous programs online that lets you check whether you have faulty RAM. Some are harder to use than others. I would recommend that you search on Google or Download.com for a "hardware diagnostic program". If a fault does turn up, go to a service technician. Or if you're lazy, go to one without checking yourself.

Powercat
16-05-2005, 02:18
My videocard is a nvidia geforce fx 5900, running the game at 1280 with fsaa 4x.
I am a computer technician, and I assure you there's nothing wrong with my computer's hardware OR software. My computer is 100% free of spyware. :happy14:

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 02:18
There are three things I would suspect:

First, your computer may be compromised with spyware/adware/malware. Just reinstalling windows may not get rid of them, especially if you are on an "always-on" internet connection (Cable, ADSL, etc.). I believe a recent study by HoneyNet found that an untouched and exposed computer will get infected in under 10 minutes.

Second, your computer may have an error with your video card. If this is the case, try installing the latest drivers or the previous most up-to-date drivers (i.e. if the drivers are for May 15, 2005, try one from before then). If the drivers are not at fault, you may have a hardware issue best solved by a service technician (NOT "MY FRIEND WHO KNOWS A LOT ABOUT COMPUTERS!")

Third, your RAM may be faulty. There are numerous programs online that lets you check whether you have faulty RAM. Some are harder to use than others. I would recommend that you search on Google or Download.com for a "hardware diagnostic program". If a fault does turn up, go to a service technician. Or if you're lazy, go to one without checking yourself.
EXCELLENT advice to be sure!

On the spyware, try SpyBot S/D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/) or AdAware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/). I use both and they seem to find everything that is out there. Also try NoAdHosts (http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html) . This blocks ads by giving them the loopback address so they cannot resolve.

On the memory, I would use memtest86. The link to that site is here (http://www.memtest86.com/). you will need to burn an iso to a disc. I recommend using a CD-RW if you have one as this file is very small.

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 02:19
My videocard is a nvidia geforce fx 5900, running the game at 1280 with fsaa 4x.
I am a computer technician, and I assure you there's nothing wrong with my computer's hardware OR software. My computer is 100% free of spyware. :happy14:
Does it still exhibit the same symptoms when you turn FSAA off?

hotdogtesting
16-05-2005, 02:32
Personally I haven't had a problem with spyware since I started using Firefox with the Adblock plugin. The important part being Adblock. With a bit of common sense (in short supply unfortunately), you can configure your browser to automagically filter out all of that spyware.

For example, I often block scripts from non-host sites. So anything that isn't from the site that I visit is automatically removed from the HTML of the webpage before it even loads in my browser.

Powercat
16-05-2005, 05:58
Does it still exhibit the same symptoms when you turn FSAA off?

Still freezes.

I wonder if anyone has this problem or if I'm the only one?
I might try swapping some hardware...

My PC is a AMD 64 3200+
Videocard GeforceFX 5900
512mb of ram from Kingston.

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 06:03
Still freezes.

My PC is a AMD 64 3200+
Videocard GeforceFX 5900
OK, what about other games? what brand is your mobo? When is the last time you did a BIOS update? Are you using 5.10 drivers for your chipset? (if nVIDIA) and if not, do you have the lates of another chipset vendor?

Powercat
16-05-2005, 06:08
OK, what about other games? what brand is your mobo? When is the last time you did a BIOS update? Are you using 5.10 drivers for your chipset? (if nVIDIA) and if not, do you have the lates of another chipset vendor?

My motherboard is an Abit KV8 Pro, all game run fune. Using latest BIOS.
I have a via chipset and haven't installed the 4 in 1. (Don't tell me it'll make a difference, I had it before and still froze)

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 06:37
My motherboard is an Abit KV8 Pro, all game run fune. Using latest BIOS.
I have a via chipset and haven't installed the 4 in 1. (Don't tell me it'll make a difference, I had it before and still froze)
Ok, I will not tell that it makes a difference, but I do advise the installation of it. Perhaps the other time you had outdated drivers? If you are not using the venodors drivers and relying on MS drivers to run your hardware, you are asking for trouble.

One last thing, do you have your virtual memory configured properly? If all this doesn't help, I have to seriously think the video card, cpu or memory is bad. Have you run memtest86 on this machine?

ColdwaveKid
16-05-2005, 09:18
Last week one day my game ran slow before the update to the game, freezing every two hours or so. The day of the update I would free randomly between one hour and 10 minutes of play. The day after the update I ran real smooth, but my skills were glitched and acting weird. The next day no errors but graphic issues like slowdown while I turn, lag, and floating through objects.

I have an intel hardware thing, but just ordered a Radeon 9200 for 50 bucks to see the game hopefully better. And play the collection of games I got that never worked right when I got them :(

Luuk Ash
16-05-2005, 10:39
Still freezes.

My PC is a AMD 64 3200+
Videocard GeforceFX 5900

yo man, your not alone..

im having:
AMD 64 3200+
ABIT K8V
1024mb of DDR400
ATI Radeon 9700 non-pro.

game crashes randomly.. sometimes it says, that VPU crashed and
sometimes it just resets my comp.. very annoying.
edit: i see sometimes white "boxes" besides characters :S
gfx errors :(

i were almost changing my gfx-card, but luckily i found this thread.
what to do? :(

calderstrake
16-05-2005, 12:12
i were almost changing my gfx-card, but luckily i found this thread.
what to do? :(
Did you try all of the things I suggested? It helps if you answer the things that I posted to try and say 'nothing in this thread has worked for me so far' or something like that.

Luuk Ash
16-05-2005, 12:24
Did you try all of the things I suggested?

yapp.. sry, forgot to mention..
i have 2 weeks old mobo & mem's & cpu, but ill do memtest..
i have no spyware or other stuff like that.

game crashed with my previous system aswell (2600+ amd, abit nf7, 1024mb 333ddr, same gfx-card)

i have tried w/o FSAA also.

not sure of 4-in-1 drivers or bios version.. need to check those today.

lred
16-05-2005, 17:46

Freezes how exactly? Complete lockup (temporarily), or can't walk/run but can still look around?

Powercat
16-05-2005, 18:44
Freezes how exactly? Complete lockup (temporarily), or can't walk/run but can still look around?

100% luckup.
If I'm playing in full screen, nothing responds.
If I'm in windowed mode, nothing responds.
I have to manually press reset (even ctrl+alt+del doesn't do anything)

Luuk Ash
16-05-2005, 22:13
now i have noticed, that if i leave game on login screen, then it crashes and gives overheating warning or something like that.
it happens, if i have played or not. :( very sad.

calderstrake
17-05-2005, 02:47
now i have noticed, that if i leave game on login screen, then it crashes and gives overheating warning or something like that.
it happens, if i have played or not. :( very sad.
This is the key. You have an overheating problem. What temperature is the room you are in? How many fans are in the case? Are you using the stock cooling for CPU and video? do you ahve memory heatsinks on the video card? What in-game settings are you using?

hotdogtesting
17-05-2005, 03:17
VPU crashes eh?

I unfortunately have to deal with those twice or so a day on ATI cards, but at the arcade we are running 30 of them.

The best advice seems to be to update or rollback your current drivers. If you find drivers that work for you, stick with them and don't let go.

Aside from that, yea, temperature would play a huge part in the stability of your system. During the last few months, we've been experiencing 40+ Degrees Celcius room temperature, because the AC broke down.

Powercat
17-05-2005, 04:57
My videocard runs at 63 idle

calderstrake
17-05-2005, 05:07
My videocard runs at 63 idle
Is this temp in Celsius? That is waaay to high. You need to add a fan to your system or change the heatsink/fan on the video card.

Luuk Ash
17-05-2005, 07:33
VPU crashes eh?
Video Processing Unit

This is the key. You have an overheating problem.
but why does it crash, if i start my comp, run the game and leave it @ the login-screen? i believe that it couldnt have came too hot just of that..

What temperature is the room you are in? How many fans are in the case? Are you using the stock cooling for CPU and video? do you ahve memory heatsinks on the video card? What in-game settings are you using?

im in hot room.. yes..
no addiotional fans
basic boxed amd fan
original radeon fan&heatsinks (amd runs 50-60 (cels.))
tried different in-game settings

well now, when i read that list, i might believe that i have some warming problems..hopefully :)

edit: temperatures (desktop use)->
CPU: 47
SYSTEM: 37 (case open)
PWM: 43

Luuk Ash
17-05-2005, 13:37
update: going to get heatpipe cooler for my gfx-card and new cpu-cooler..
i heard, that older radeon 9700 have had some heating problems.

ill post results tomorrow.

Lady Xenon
17-05-2005, 18:10
Dont know if this will help anyone, but my fiance' was having problems with his comp restarting while playing GW.

Part of it was solved by updating his vpu drivers, but he also turned off the fast write option for his cpu, he hasnt had any probs since.

calderstrake
18-05-2005, 01:43
calderstrake, I seriously doubt your technical knowledge. Frankly I don't think you know what you're talking about.
It may be a waste of effort to respond to your comment, and may say "don't feed the trolls" but I will be brief.

I have been playing PC games and building my own PCs since 1995 or so. Around 1998, I took my first job as a PC technician; I have been doing it ever since. I have owned at least one video card in every series since GF3/7000 and every processor class since Pentium 133.

On a side note, I noticed some comments of yours on another thread that were completely out of line. If you have honest criticism, please offer it politely; if you are a troll, please post on another forum.

PoppyMcShotgun
18-05-2005, 02:10
Powercat, last I checked it was your computer with problems, not his. Don't try to slam someone who is trying to help you out. That's just common courtesy man!

I happen to agree with Calderstrake. He's offered nothing but sound, strong advice for fixing your PC ailments. I would have told you the same thing.

Just keep in mind that 90% of computer problems are user error... Wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was something you were doing that you were not telling us, or something you overlooked. It's EXTREMELY hard to troubleshoot a PC over an internet forum such as this one.

Powercat
18-05-2005, 02:39
I've been into pcs since I was born, had an apple.
I got a 486 back in 92-93 and have been a geek ever since.
I haven't taken any comptuer courses and now I work in a company where me and some other guy are responsible for the welfare of over 200 PCs.
I really REALLY doubt it's a user error :)

ALSO I've already said, but will repeat:

I have JUST installed an original copy of WinXP Pro SP2.
I have ONLY installed my soundcard drivers, network card drivers and videocard drivers and GW (of course)
And the game still freezes.
I have tried different versions of my videocard drivers, the latest froze in 5 minutes, omega drivers frozein 3 seconds and older drivers (61.77) in 25-30 minutes.
My videocard runs at 63c idle, at all times. It has always been like that.
My PC is a AMD 64 3200+
Videocard GeforceFX 5900, 128mb
512mb of ram

There is nothing wrong with my computer.
If there is a problem it's caused by either the game and incompatibility issues with my hardware (how much have we seen a certain combination of hardware causing problems??) or my bios' settings are to be tweaked.

Also my comment on the other threat is because I do not tolerate stupidity, and that guy had a ridiculously low amount of common sense.

Thank you :happy34:

Svenn
18-05-2005, 16:18
63C idle on an NVIDIA GPU core is fine, maybe a couple of degrees warmer than you'd like but within reason. Your CPU & GPU are at 100% while playing GW, though. Those are the temps that you need to be concerned about.

Powercat
18-05-2005, 18:47
Ok well I'll monitor my heat while I play. Will post results soon.

Luuk Ash
19-05-2005, 08:33
ok, i got my heatpipe for ati radeon.
after 2,5h gaming NO crash :surprise:
cant be 100% sure that its fixed now, but it looks like fixed :)

i closed my computer case and turned all gfx-settings high on 1280x1024.

still having hot processor, but upgrading cpu cooler next week.

over and out! :happy34:

Powercat
19-05-2005, 14:28
My CPU temp was raising too high.
I flashed my bios and my temp is cool and GW runs sweet.