PDA

View Full Version : El/Wa?

stiill
17-05-2005, 05:29
I really don't see many of them around, and I'm beginning to see why-- Wa/El seems like a much stronger combo.

Anyhow, I've leveled one up a bit, and I'm wondering: is there a solid El/Wa build? I'm getting very little from the Warrior part of it. There are a couple Tactics skills that increase my defense for 5-10 seconds, which helps my survivability a small bit if I start getting pointed on. Is that it?

I've gone Fire so far; perhaps Earth or something would be a better match.

Feynt
17-05-2005, 05:51
Earth makes tanks better. (Almost) indominable defense boosts, a terrific team dodge field (Ward Against Melee) to save your healers (if they can learn to stand still and not run around like a headless turkey), and if you're an E/W you have the ability to cast Eruption to blind the enemies clumped up around you (and they almost invariably come to you, as elementalist primaries are seen as "weak" by the computers and most players).

But the warrior side has a lot to offer as well. Sword skills for instance cause bleeding very easily, as well as crippling. You get an axe skill that hits a group of enemies around you right in the beginning (Cyclone Axe) as well as an armour piercing axe slash (Penetrating Chop) a short way into the Ascalon area. Not to mention weapon stats boost your damage with that particular weapon (however slightly), and the better weaponry is only available to those who invest in a weapon stat anyways (a 23 max damage sword won't out perform an 7-10 sword if you don't have the stats).

Tactics makes it easier to survive however, with skills like Bonetti's Defense (great for replenishing your energy reserves if you get swamped and need a quick recharge to cast Eruption after you start up Armour of Earth and Ward Against Melee) and Defensive Stance for general blocking and damage reduction for 10 seconds (regardless of Tactics).

EchoPriest
17-05-2005, 16:54
If you play it right it's VERY powerful. I have a 15th level E/W, most the people I do see using this combo are carrying Hammers or Axes etc. I focus on tactics for the warrior portion (which are incredibly strong) and rely on the elementalist side to deal the damage.

It's a great combo if executed properly. Especially with the combo of Air/Fire/Tactic

Good Luck :happy34:

Verity
17-05-2005, 18:01
I am also an EL/War. I thiought I would get more out of the warrior side. Thus far I would agree that a combination of Fire/Air/Earth/Tactics works best. What I have found is that Ele makes a bad tank unless health is really high. I have yet to use my awsome axe skills. So I focus more on tactics and use some of the strength based skills with earth for defensive play. Although I am primarily fire I find the more I play the more attractive the air based skills become. I get a very good balance between Air and Fire tactics. Fire for max wide area damage and air for armor penetration. The earth/tactics combo keeps bad guys from mobbing me. My favorite warrior skill is sprint. Simple but effective for getting out of tight spots.

When I get some more attrib points I am going to play around with the weapons aspect. In the pvp arena under lvl 15 I got hacked to pieces. So my straegy for the arena will be to try and keep to fast spells and wards that put distance between me and slashers/bashers.

Rukia
17-05-2005, 18:13
i am not a warrior myself but i think the idea of using conjure <elemenent> is really nice. i mean you get a nice "free" boost to your damage. especially when using a sword since you strike more times thus more damage added from conjure.

GammaRay
18-05-2005, 03:49
The trick about conjure spells is that they remove all previous enchantments. So if you want to use a Conjure Spell but also want to use something like Armor of Earth, you have to do the Conjure and then the Armor spells -- this leaves your Armor of Earth easily open to enchantment strippers because it has no "buffer." All you can do is carry a third enchantment to buffer your armor.

On that same note, does anyone know if the Armor spells stack? Armor Of Earth, Armor of Mist, Armor of Frost, Kinetic Armor, Obsidian Flesh...imagine if those all stacked? You'd be almost INVINCIBLE. Granted, you probably couldn't move...but if they stack, that makes for the supreme PvE tank. Maybe even the best Glint Tank in the entire game.

Niscandia
18-05-2005, 03:57
*grins*

Hundred blades + conjure fire...

That is my favorite so far with my E/W.
But I also follow the warriors into battle using Phonix and Infernal (using Hundred blades while I'm waiting for those two to refresh)

Other then that play around, and have fun.

Niscandia

EchoPriest
18-05-2005, 15:06
On that same note, does anyone know if the Armor spells stack? Armor Of Earth, Armor of Mist, Armor of Frost, Kinetic Armor, Obsidian Flesh...imagine if those all stacked? You'd be almost INVINCIBLE. Granted, you probably couldn't move...but if they stack, that makes for the supreme PvE tank. Maybe even the best Glint Tank in the entire game.

I would like to know the answer to this also ....

Feynt
18-05-2005, 22:43
Yes, the armours stack. However Armour of Mist has a 2 second casting time and lasts for (at best) 18 seconds with a recharge of 30, while Armour of Frost has 29 out of 40 seconds. Which means you're open to assaults for that period of time. Those armours need a tweak to last longer, or recharge faster than their duration like Armour of Earth.

You wouldn't want to use Obsidian Flesh or Kinetic Armour with a warrior though. You won't be casting many spells as a warrior (amidst the hacking and slashing, supposidly your primary function) so Kinetic Armour is pointless as it lasts only 8 seconds, and Obsidian Flesh would make you abhorrently slow for only 20 armour, which Watch Yourself could give you. And it wouldn't tie up your elite skill slot. Sure, the untargetable by spells thing sounds nice, but that DOES mean no heals too...

Armour of Mist would counteract the Armour of Earth speed loss, the former giving a 33% speed increase at all levels, and the latter giving a -21% speed decrease at best (with an average of 27% for most people, granting close to 40 armour and a significant damage reduction to almost all forms of damage).

GammaRay
19-05-2005, 06:01
Wonderful. I can an E/W and E/Mo as being a spectacular two-person PvE team. Between Monk healing and protection, some stackable defenses on the E/W, and then horrible death from above from both, it may be a pretty nasty PvE team. Definitely need to keep the healer/protector a good ways out of range till the fight starts.

Although if you've seen the video of the Mo/W in Riverside Providence, it seems like a better solution for solo. But two is always more fun than gunning it alone. 8)