PDA

View Full Version : The Spellsword

Mariers Arnimane
17-05-2005, 14:19
I started playing GW as a PvE player, and I enjoy that greatly. However, I wanted to try to enjoy the PvP part as well, so I made a "mimic" of my primary character, Mariers Arnimane (Mesmer/Warrior)--and thus his sister was born.

I love fighter mages (Magic User/Warrior). I don't really see too many of them around, actually. Mariers is great in PvE (Domination/Sword). I believe his sister could be great in PvP, but because of the randomness of the 4x4 arena (having no monk sucks), she fails miserably. I am almost often blamed (and only by W/Mo characters, I've noticed) to be "the weakest character" in the group. When I try to get an organized group for the other arena in the snow cave, no one wants me or wants to join me, or blames me for doing nothing.

Don't they notice all the times I've interrupted Elementalists' devastating spells? Or a monk's resurrect/people's Res Signets? I can also deal a good amount of damage with my weapon. About the only thing I can't do is heal myself, and if we don't have a monk, then I'm screwed. And at fault, it seems.

Is this truly the worth of a spellsword in PvP? I believe they could achieve much if given the chance in an organized setting. For my mesmer/warrior, the skill set I have is:

Cry of Frustration
Power Spike
Power Leak
For Great Justice
Galrath Slash
Sever Artery
Gash
Resurrection Signet

On the side note, I'm very new to PvP, so I know this might not be the best setup or I just don't have enough experience. However, I believe that this setup would be excellent against a magic user.

I understand about armor issues. Magic users don't have the insane armor that warrior primaries have or the armor penetration bonus from strength. However, I can't stand being a warrior primary because of the 20 energy and slow regeneration. I feel that magic can more than make up for brute strength. I'm a magic user by heart. ;)

For those of you who have successful PvP magic users/warriors (I notice that N/W are rather popular, but I've never seen an E/W), could you please give me some encouragement, and suggestions? I'm feeling very depressed by being constantly criticized by the warrior population.

"Only warriors and monks are good in PvP."
"You suck."
"You were the weakest."
"Did you do ANYTHING?"

And so on. :mad:

I really love fighter mages. I want to know if there is hope for them in PvP. I always tell people (and myself) that ANY class can work, it's the skills that matter. Can I help it if I'm the first one being targetted by all the members of the opposing team? Doesn't that mean something?

I want more respect for fighter mages in general, that's all I ask. :(

Vexer Zero
17-05-2005, 14:25
I started playing GW as a PvE player, and I enjoy that greatly. However, I wanted to try to enjoy the PvP part as well, so I made a "mimic" of my primary character, Mariers Arnimane (Mesmer/Warrior)--and thus his sister was born.

I love fighter mages (Magic User/Warrior). I don't really see too many of them around, actually. Mariers is great in PvE (Domination/Sword). I believe his sister could be great in PvP, but because of the randomness of the 4x4 arena (having no monk sucks), she fails miserably. I am almost often blamed (and only by W/Mo characters, I've noticed) to be "the weakest character" in the group. When I try to get an organized group for the other arena in the snow cave, no one wants me or wants to join me, or blames me for doing nothing.

Don't they notice all the times I've interrupted Elementalists' devastating spells? Or a monk's resurrect/people's Res Signets? I can also deal a good amount of damage with my weapon. About the only thing I can't do is heal myself, and if we don't have a monk, then I'm screwed. And at fault, it seems.

Is this truly the worth of a spellsword in PvP? I believe they could achieve much if given the chance in an organized setting. For my mesmer/warrior, the skill set I have is:

Cry of Frustration
Power Spike
Power Leak
For Great Justice
Galrath Slash
Sever Artery
Gash
Resurrection Signet

On the side note, I'm very new to PvP, so I know this might not be the best setup or I just don't have enough experience. However, I believe that this setup would be excellent against a magic user.

I understand about armor issues. Magic users don't have the insane armor that warrior primaries have or the armor penetration bonus from strength. However, I can't stand being a warrior primary because of the 20 energy and slow regeneration. I feel that magic can more than make up for brute strength. I'm a magic user by heart. ;)

For those of you who have successful PvP magic users/warriors (I notice that N/W are rather popular, but I've never seen an E/W), could you please give me some encouragement, and suggestions? I'm feeling very depressed by being constantly criticized by the warrior population.

"You suck."
"You were the weakest."
"Did you do ANYTHING?"

And so on. :mad:

I really love fighter mages. I want to know if there is hope for them in PvP. I always tell people (and myself) that ANY class can work, it's the skills that matter. Can I help it if I'm the first one being targetted by all the members of the opposing team? Doesn't that mean something?

I want more respect for fighter mages in general, that's all I ask. :(

I completly agree.....warrior spell casters can be really useful in a tight spot....especially a good combination of conjuer phantasm and Melee attacks....that works great!

DutchSmurf
17-05-2005, 16:07
Get some friends/join a guild and play with those people. They will listen to you when you explain what you are doing and will see that you really help. However, all those W/Mo and some monks too who aren't used to a real opponent (so they continu attack with empathy and continu casting with backfire) think they are the best. That they probably didn't survive without you isn't noticed. Getting a group of people who know the game and know that warriors are far from overpowered is the only thing you can do about it.

Avyer
17-05-2005, 17:23
From what I've seen a Me/Wo is a great combo. With their melee and ability to shut down, they're great. Thinking of starting one myself with the sole purpose of killing the class I hold dear, the monk.

But coming from a monk's perspective people who arn't at all self sufficeint in PvP get really annoying, and the monk has to focus a lot of energy keeping you alive. i usually stop paying attention to certain team mates I notice barely doing anything and not staying with the main target of the team, they are usually just a henderance.

Overon
17-05-2005, 23:12
Your idea of a mesmer/warrior is fine...i believe that the majority of your trouble stems from your choice of skills. All three of your mesmer skills take 15-20 seconds to recharge, and while you have for great justice in there, you have 3 attacks that require adrenaline, which also takes time to build up. I would recommend looking at some skills that work together a little better. For example... I would recommend something like... instead of your power spike/leak, and cry of frustration, something like Backfire, empathy, and Shatter Delusions. The empathy and backfire take 20 seconds to come back...the shatter delusions takes 10. you can put backfire on a caster, 8 seconds later or so, shatter it and they not only ate the backfire if they cast, but they get smacked in the face for shatter dmg. It seems that you focus so far on interrupts, which are good, but with this, they may get the spell off, but they pay for it. Just an idea. Either way, with 15 and 20 second spell recharges, you have a lot of downtime to use for "swording" them, which I will adress next.

As for the warrior half, galrath's slash, sever, gash, and FGJ!, are a lot of adrenaline to build up. In PvP, lots of people tend to run, so this much can be hard to build up. I would think of swapping out say, gash, for hamstring, which will let you get ahold of them to get the adrenaline pumping. Plus, this is 4 skills (half your bar) devoted to time spent "getting up and running" with your adrenaline. It's kinda hard to keep hold of someone long enough to sever them, gash them, and then build up a galrath's (btw, final thrust might be considered), especially if you are going to be casting.

Everyone's build is unique and if you lean towards an interrupting blade character, just take a little time looking through your skills, or the skill lists here at GWonline for things that might work with it.

--- Overon

Mariers Arnimane
18-05-2005, 00:34
Get some friends/join a guild and play with those people. They will listen to you when you explain what you are doing and will see that you really help. However, all those W/Mo and some monks too who aren't used to a real opponent (so they continu attack with empathy and continu casting with backfire) think they are the best. That they probably didn't survive without you isn't noticed. Getting a group of people who know the game and know that warriors are far from overpowered is the only thing you can do about it.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm in a small guild right now, with less than eight people, and we're focused more on PvE (my guild leader wants to unlock all the skills and get more members before trying PvP), so I don't really have anyone to play PvP with at the moment.

Oh well...it will come in time. I'll play around with my skills some more (thanks for the suggestions)!

rastigi
18-05-2005, 21:01
I need to unlock a few more skills before I acutally feel comfortable doing PvP, but I think that warrior seconds are highly underrated. I've got a N/W, and I'm really enjoying myself...I don't think a W/N would have enough energy to keep themselves alive with blood magic, so they would be the annoyance that the monk has to keep worrying about.

Canshero
18-05-2005, 23:05
I have a N/W that I think is just absolutely great. I can easily kill several Warrior primaries although admittedly, my Necromancer still isn't incredibly far in the game. The problem with a Warrior primary with a spellcaster secondary as you said, is the lack of Energy. Having a spellcaster primary just allows so much more options since Energy comes back that much more quickly and you won't suffer from using a single skill or two and having no more Energy to use.

Don't worry about what other people say about you in-game though. There are always those people who think they're the greatest, and those who think that no matter what, it's not their fault. I sometimes get those people myself, but I just don't let it get to me. As long as you know your character as good, and you're happy with how they have turned out, isn't that all that matters?

Mariers Arnimane
19-05-2005, 10:17
I just realized, I DO know an E/W--my boyfriend's character! :bonk:

He uses Tactics instead of weapon attributes. So far, it's doing well for him! :love38:

Don't worry about what other people say about you in-game though. There are always those people who think they're the greatest, and those who think that no matter what, it's not their fault. I sometimes get those people myself, but I just don't let it get to me. As long as you know your character as good, and you're happy with how they have turned out, isn't that all that matters?

Thanks for the comment. I usually don't get upset over what people say to me, but for some reason I'm just fuming with rage when someone says I haven't done anything useful when I know I have. This is like my second online game I've every played (my first was Diablo II) so I'll learn to adapt. And I AM happy with my characters, and they play well with my friends' characters as well, so it's all good.

I feel much better, thanks guys!

rastigi
19-05-2005, 19:54
He uses Tactics instead of weapon attributes. So far, it's doing well for him!

I was considering that yesterday. I hadn't decided if I would have the patience for it or not yet.

Hunt3r_kill4
20-05-2005, 06:26
My insight in all of this:

I would say first off, maybe ditch the Resurrection Signet unless otherwise instructed by your party, leave the resurrecting for the monks. Instead, put "Victory is Mine" in its place, because I seriously think you will need the life and energy recharging from all that casting.

Dont worry about what other people think of you in PvP, most pick up groups are so ignorant and full of themselves that they actually beleive they themselves did all the work while the rest of the party just sat around lazing. Of course they wont notice how many Meteor storms you prevented, or how many Resurrections or heals you stopped. Once you are PvP'ing with a decent guild or group, they will notice the value of you as a teammate

Mariers Arnimane
21-05-2005, 12:25
I was considering that yesterday. I hadn't decided if I would have the patience for it or not yet.

I think that it's cool that the E/W can stay back in a fight, with the other spellcasters, and when some enemies breach the front lines, the E/W can use "Watch Yourself!" to give some extra defense to those standing near him in the back.

There are a lot of Tactics skills that can help out those with weak armor. I don't have anymore character slots to test out this build, so I can't really say too much about it, but it seems to have a promising look to it. Plus, Healing Signet is really nice.

If anyone out there has this sort of character, please feel free to let us know how it turned out.

neoflame
21-05-2005, 18:31
Heh, stupid people.

Resurrection Signet tends to be incredibly valuable in Arena, but less so in Tombs in GvG.

As a caster primary (Me/W) you can probably switch Galrath Slash for Pure Strike since you can use it more often. This would allow you to drop For Great Justice! for something else (as a Domination mesmer a certain 10 second, 15 energy hex that kills spellcasters dead comes to mind.) Also, you probably shouldn't invest too many points into Fast Casting with so few spells; mesmer interrupts tend to already have 0.25 cast times (Cry of Frustration and Leech Signet are the only exceptions I know of), and I'd advise spreading yourself into more of a 8-10-12 attribute distribution, investing into either Illusion (for DoT) or Inspiration (for Power Drain, Ether Feast, etc.)

vizacahmin
23-05-2005, 19:52

I have to agree... A warrior is a meat sheild for the rest of the classes, they hold the enemy at arms reach so others can do the real damage. Unfortunately most people playing them think they are pwners, little realizing that the mesmers, necros, elementalists, rangers etc are the ones doing 3/4 of the real damage. They are swinging and throwing specials blah blah blah, they see the health dropping and think it's because of them.

I play a W/Mo. I built him simply as a char that can take a beating while others deal damage, and augment the monk in the group. he's an awesome meat sheild. We got sick of idiots playing W/Mo's who thought they didn't need the rest of the group, charging into everythin, and weakening the team each time they die. As long as i have the agros bunched up, the elementalists can kill them. I can do damage, but only every so often, once adrenaline is built up. It doesn't come close to what an elementalist does. Not even in the same league. Anyone that thinks it is is smoking the good stuff.

With a sever artery and deep wound, I've seen an opponent take up to 78 points of damage in a round, that's it, adrenaline spent. My elementalist has done 208 per second with a meteor storm... nough said. Using mesmer backfire and some other stuff, it's unbelieveable. I don't like fighting mesmers with my elementalist LOL.

However, I also play a E/Me. This is a real damage dealer. Alas but the E/Me is nothing without the meat sheild to keep the agros off. Don't get me wrong, the E/Me can "take it", but only til that mana runs dry, including what I am sucking out of opponents. Once that happens it's good bye charlie.

That's why this is a "team" game. Each member, no matter what profession, has a lot to offer to the team when they play their character correctly. Anyone that says a character is "lame" or "not doing anything" simply because of the profession tag over the person's head, is a freaking idiot. This game is very balanced.

my 2 cents....

l8,
viza