PDA

View Full Version : Rerolling need some suggestions

Nerghul
19-05-2005, 10:57
I currrently have a 17 N/Mo and i wanna reroll for a better combo but im not sure what i should make. N/W seems popular for the dmg dealing vamp build. I want a combo that is good for PvE and PvP(late game) any suggestions?

Hart
19-05-2005, 19:45
My advice would be to hang in there.

I'm not sure how far along in the plotline you are and I don't want to spoil the storyline for you, but later in the game you have the option to switch your secondary profession to whatever you want at will after completing a few quests. Once you reach that point, you can run basically whatever build you want as long as you have the skill points to buy them.

The only reason I can see to rebuild a character which is level 17 and probably pretty deep into the missions is because you don't want your primary class anymore - for example, a Warrior who wants to be a main caster, or a Monk who wants to be a major offensive force.

Nerghul
19-05-2005, 23:12
cool thanks. I did all the quest in the first beta release but didnt kno about that. but that is kinda cool. Any suggestions for a primary? I dont kno what i should do...lol bone master, damage dealer, vamp build, so many and i dont kno what one is advisable. :confused:

Hart
20-05-2005, 01:23
If you're N/Mo now and don't like it, I'd go for minion master until you can unlock your secondary classes. Maybe something like

Animate Bone Horror
Taste of Death
Death Nova
Rotting Flesh
Deathly Swarm
Blood of the Master
Heal Area
Res Signet / Restore Life

Basically you use Rotting Flesh at the start of a fight and Deathly Swarm when your mana is close to full and there are no bodies around. As foes drop, animate them. When a minion gets to around 1/2-1/4 health, put Death Nova on him, wait for him to get into a good position and use Taste of Death to blow him up. At the end of the fight or if traveling longer distances, use Blood of the Master => Heal Area to heal your minions without sacrificing too much life. Res is for party wipes - with Taste of Death you can typically survive just about anything provided you have a living minion and eat it before you're dead - 1/4 life is a good general rule. Heal Area is nice for tight spots where you're facing a powerful opponent, but you have the numeric advantage due to minions, henchies, etc. Heal Area is also great for keeping you alive while your minions finish off a target.

Nerghul
20-05-2005, 08:47
cool cool. i was thinking about sticking out N/Mo and making a minion master build. Any suggestions on my attribute layout? and also where do you get this godly signet of capture?

thanks

Reni
20-05-2005, 09:19
One note about changing your secondary later on...

lack of skill points can be a very big issue if you change your secondary o.o;; Many of the skills you get are usually obtained through some sort of quest, and many of these quests can't be repeated (take, for example, the supply quest for piken square). Some quests will only offer experience, but oftentimes these quests would have offered some skills if your primary or secondary job was different (the necro npc in piken square won't give skills if you don't have a necro prime/sub, but will give shadow strike if you are). There are also many quests that aren't even available if you aren't a certain job.

If you're planning or thinking of changing your job later, make sure not to spend your skillpoints too freely. Also, make sure to not do too many quests (unless the quest is offering a skill you really want), because if you change jobs later it may offer some useful skills for your new job^^

Meister Blitzkrieg
20-05-2005, 09:26
I personally think Necromancer makes a better secondary Profession.

N/W are stupid really... Necro armour is too weak to support melee combat. My main is a W/N, and I find this works well for both PvE and PvP, and I play alot of both, especially GvG battles. You've got the awesome close-combat of Warriors, backed up with some great damage dealing spells (I find blood magic works best). I use axes, and instead of a sword carry an Idol/other energy boosting item, which, when combined with Gladiator armour, gives me a total of 39 energy - a normal Necro only has 40!

Only problem is the energy regeneration is half that of Necro's, but if you play it right, and conserve your energy right, thats no real problem.

Reni
20-05-2005, 11:25
Just something to note about necro mains...

Necro mains get the bonus of being able to use runes for their skills^^ here's some interesting numbers~

Life Transfer: at blood 14, it gives 8 degen/regen for 12 seconds. ant blood 17, it gives 9degen/regen for 13 seconds.

Well of Blood: at blood 14, it gives 6 regen, at blood 17, it gives 7 regen. (I think durations are 18 and 24, but not sure o.o;;)

17 can be reachable in both blood and curses using the 'awaken the blood' skill. (+2 in blood and curses, 50% extra sac costs.)

may not sound like much, but I think extra attribute levels get the biggest boosts from dot/regen skills and necro's certainly get lots of those^^

Nerghul
20-05-2005, 11:38
Wow, that is crazy. never thought of it that way lol. But im thinking about a death magic minion master now. N/Mo. trying to work on a good build for that. im thinking 8 soulreaping and other split into death magic and healing magic with more into death. i dont know tho. i spent like 40 refund points trying to find something i like.../sigh

Im Bogus
21-05-2005, 01:37
a small question... once u can change profesion... what would u choose ?

i like necros and i like it primary but im having a bad time choosin the second.

i wanted to listen to the pros opinion befor starting (it arrives tomorrow).

so far ill go for the necro/ranger = blood, some little curse or soul, marksmanship and my pet (i dont like minions)

12 blood
10 marks / survival (what is better... bow or trap ?)
7-8 soul / curse

i this well of power as elite should be great here

Nerghul
21-05-2005, 10:13
If you're N/Mo now and don't like it, I'd go for minion master until you can unlock your secondary classes. Maybe something like

Animate Bone Horror
Taste of Death
Death Nova
Rotting Flesh
Deathly Swarm
Blood of the Master
Heal Area
Res Signet / Restore Life

Basically you use Rotting Flesh at the start of a fight and Deathly Swarm when your mana is close to full and there are no bodies around. As foes drop, animate them. When a minion gets to around 1/2-1/4 health, put Death Nova on him, wait for him to get into a good position and use Taste of Death to blow him up. At the end of the fight or if traveling longer distances, use Blood of the Master => Heal Area to heal your minions without sacrificing too much life. Res is for party wipes - with Taste of Death you can typically survive just about anything provided you have a living minion and eat it before you're dead - 1/4 life is a good general rule. Heal Area is nice for tight spots where you're facing a powerful opponent, but you have the numeric advantage due to minions, henchies, etc. Heal Area is also great for keeping you alive while your minions finish off a target.

im gonna use this minion master build but im not sure if i should use horrors, minions, or fiends.

right now this is what i have
Class: Necromancer / Monk

Attributes: (cost) '+' indicates Rune attributes
Soul Reaping: 10 (61)
Death Magic: 12+4 (97)
Healing Prayers: 8 (37)

Total attribute points used: 195/200

Skills: [Attribute] (Energy, Cast Time, Recharge TIme)
1) Deathly Swarm [Death Magic] (10,3,3) Spell: Deathly Swarm flies out slowly and strikes for 84 cold damage (before armor) on up to three targets.[Ringcrafter: Ascalon City (T), First Watch Sergio: Lion's Arch (T)]

2) Tainted Flesh [Death Magic] (5,1,0) Enchantment: For 45 seconds, target ally is immune to disease, and anyone striking that ally in melee becomes diseased for 16 seconds. This is an elite skill.[Ventari's Refuge (OP)]

3) Death Nova [Death Magic] (5,2,0) Enchantment: For 30 seconds, if target ally dies, Death Nova deals 105 damage and suffer from Poison for 15 seconds.[Master Scout Kiera: Henge of Henge of Denravi (T)]

4) Taste of Death [Death Magic] (5,0,0) Spell: Steal 420 health from target animated undead ally.[]

5) Animate Bone Minions [Death Magic] (25,3,5) Spell: Exploit nearest corpse to animate two level 0-10 Bone Minions.[Master Scout Kiera: Henge of Henge of Denravi (T)]

6) Heal Area [Healing Prayers] (10,1,5) Spell: Heal yourself and all nearby creatures for 110 health.[Ringcrafter: Ascalon City (T)]

7) Blood of the Master [Death Magic] (10,1,5) Spell: Sacrifice 10% max health. All adjacent undead allies are healed for 122.[Ringcrafter: Ascalon City (T), Captain Greywind: North Kryta Province (EA)]

8) Resurrection Signet [none] (0,5,0) Signet: Resurrect target party member. You may use this skill only once per mission.[]

any comments/ suggestions

Creed
21-05-2005, 19:25
Necro primary only works if you intend on pumping your blood or curses, attributes up using runes. This should be the only reason you go necro primary. For the following reason:

Late game (PvP) Necros primary ability is usless, and i mean usless, PvP there simply is'nt enough dying to make it worth while.

Simply put, if you are not going to boost necro blood or curses, or even death magic using runes, you should simply choose mesmer as your primary and allow the fast casting skill, to help your mes/NECRO :p

I myself am a Necro/Mes. Because i use a DoT build (damage over time). To destroy my opponents. Blood being boosted to 16 is always handy, using skills it can be 18 and cause alot of damage, even allowing shadow strike to hit for 110 damage. Now remember this character is far from ready, but he can toll out his fair share of damage. Blood 16(+3rune +1 scar pattern). Illusion 10 soulreaping 5(+1). I have not done the attribute quests with this character yet.And do not have all the skill i want for this build but here it is..

1. Vampiric gaze.
2. Shadow strike.
3. Life sipheon. (more usful than you might think for stacking DoTs)
4. Conjure phantasm.
5. Ethereal burden.
6. Life transfer.
7. Strip enchantment.
8. Rez signet.

Shadow strike is simply in the way now, so i'll most likly remove it for another skill, epidemic perhaps, or another DoT. Or a hp drain/regain skill. Unholy feast can steal alot of health in the right situation.

But that's a nice DoT build for you, if that's the type of play you like.

What ever you do, if you intend on going necro, and using blood remember your strip enchantment skill, it's a life saver and destroyer. Not only does it whisk away that warrior/monks healing breeze but it heals you for 100+ health on its way.

Death builds always sounds nice on paper, but unfortunetly are often over-rated. Of course thanks to the brilliant refund system you can try as many types of build for your character as you please. Goodluck to you.

Nerghul
22-05-2005, 10:17
im mainly gonna use this build for PvE. im kinda flirting with a new build using death and blood, but im not sure yet. im still plotting it out. i might make a new char and try that build out. we'll see thnx tho

Creed
22-05-2005, 12:56
Pretty solid build, but i'd suggest one skill:

Rotting flesh. It spreads and has -4 health degen, perfect for any 8 on 8 or even 4 on 4 encounter.

IWantMORIDIN
23-05-2005, 00:19
But im pretty sure Disease will spread to your team too, so it isnt a good PvP choice. PvE is different though. :)

Since you only have Heal Area from the monk side i think u should just drop healing prayers and go with curses. There are some nice hexes like -20 armor, +8 damage when attacked by physical, damage to nearby targets when u take physical damage, etc...

I play an N/Mo basically close to yours, but a few more heals.

Hart
24-05-2005, 01:24
Necro primary only works if you intend on pumping your blood or curses, attributes up using runes. This should be the only reason you go necro primary. For the following reason:

Late game (PvP) Necros primary ability is usless, and i mean usless, PvP there simply is'nt enough dying to make it worth while.

Simply put, if you are not going to boost necro blood or curses, or even death magic using runes, you should simply choose mesmer as your primary and allow the fast casting skill, to help your mes/NECRO :p

This is really a matter of opinion; Fast Casting does not have a signifigant effect if you are looking at the N/Me vs Me/N because no Necro spell takes longer than 3s to cast and most of the 3s are elite/rarely used. If anything you might go E/N for Energy Storage if all you're looking at is the primary attribute; but the main point of N/* is the ability to use Necromancer runes and better armor than the other casting professions.

1. Vampiric gaze.
2. Shadow strike.
3. Life sipheon. (more usful than you might think for stacking DoTs)
4. Conjure phantasm.
5. Ethereal burden.
6. Life transfer.
7. Strip enchantment.
8. Rez signet.

Shadow strike is simply in the way now, so i'll most likly remove it for another skill, epidemic perhaps, or another DoT. Or a hp drain/regain skill. Unholy feast can steal alot of health in the right situation.

Nice PvP build. I'd probably throw in Rend Enchantments instead of Strip Enchantment since it's the only way outside Lingering curse to remove multiple enchantments at once and has a tendancy to throw people off their game. Then again, I'd go for Lingering Curse instead of Life Transfer, so it's all a matter of personal opinion really.

Also, this is a mesmer degen build - where's Phantom Pain? The degen is nice, you've got Illusions up anyway, and the Deep Wound it causes would be great for taking the target down, especailly if you're thinking about adding Epidemic. Maybe sub it in for Shadow Strike since you're removing it.

Death builds always sounds nice on paper, but unfortunetly are often over-rated. Of course thanks to the brilliant refund system you can try as many types of build for your character as you please. Goodluck to you.

IMO Death builds are awesome in PvE until you get into end game content (think Underworld/Fire Island) with the exception of a few missions and areas, mainly places you can't animate things due to undead/elemental enemies. On the other hand, they are generally terrible in PvP - I can only think of 3 Death spells I'd use in PvP offhand and I'd never raise the attribute above 5 on a PvP char.

Hart
24-05-2005, 01:26
2) Tainted Flesh [Death Magic] (5,1,0) Enchantment: For 45 seconds, target ally is immune to disease, and anyone striking that ally in melee becomes diseased for 16 seconds. This is an elite skill.[Ventari's Refuge (OP)]

Looks good, but I believe that Tainted Flesh is no longer available from anything near Ventari's Refuge.. for that matter, it's my current belief that all Elite skills have been moved past Ascension based on what i've been reading in the boards, so you may want to look into something to replace that with.