PDA

View Full Version : Offencive monk?

kawana
20-05-2005, 09:11
i saw a video someone else had in a post showing a killer Offencive monk taking on large groups of monsters with ease, i think it was a m/wo, i wanna make a character that can do the same, i just ond know if m/wo is the way to go, any tips?

Flynn
22-05-2005, 02:39
Thats a specific build for farming gold and items from mid level mobs.

U need to load up on Offensive enchantments like balthazars aura a good degree of smite.

serialkiller
22-05-2005, 02:44
I take offense to any monk that thinks they are more useful smiting then healing. Very offensive indeed! :rolleyes:

Seriously, if i made a mo/* he'd know his place and be the healer!

Knight Artorius
22-05-2005, 03:17
Do u still know the link to that thread of the farming monk? i cant seem to find it anymore

Aidan Gawain
22-05-2005, 06:11
I take offense to any monk that thinks they are more useful smiting then healing. Very offensive indeed! :rolleyes:

I didn't see the video, but it sounds like the monk was soloing. When soloing, monks have to be offensive, or the battles take forever.

Of course in parties, monks should heal. You'll notice that even Smiting Prayers are often defensive in nature (e.g. Bane Signet knocks down the enemy so you can run away, Symbol of Wrath is good if people gang up on you, etc.).

Prodigy Ming
22-05-2005, 20:42
I didn't see the video, but it sounds like the monk was soloing. When soloing, monks have to be offensive, or the battles take forever.

Of course in parties, monks should heal. You'll notice that even Smiting Prayers are often defensive in nature (e.g. Bane Signet knocks down the enemy so you can run away, Symbol of Wrath is good if people gang up on you, etc.).

seriously guys get over it. people can play the game however they want and monk is not necessary the healer. i beleive this was discussed before and i wouldn't go any further.

ColdwaveKid
22-05-2005, 20:58
I am working on a smiting monk now. I am building up lvls and doing groups so far to gain skills and obviously get strong enough to survive, but so far at lvl 12 I use Symbol of Wrath and Banish. I rarely swap to a pure smiter unless there are undead though, but damn, against them you are a monster.

Sadly I am just a healer now though till I find better smites. I just got to Yak's Bend with this character as I am doing every quest offered. Figure mine as well do it once, and why not with a healer.

Oh and after doing the acadomy bonus people are very, very thankful to see an offensive monk. That bonus is the easiest thing in the game with a high level symbol of wrath and banish. When swarmed I was doing 200 damage in 5 second, and 80 damage per banish.

Cartigan
22-05-2005, 21:07

And I would be forced to smite you

Shalindra
28-05-2005, 08:32
And I would be forced to smite you
YES!!! I don't know what ppl think sometimes. Monks may be the best support characters, but in almost every game they have their awesome mass undead killing skills. People just stereotype monks and warriors. I mean, in parties, you always hear "Group looking for warrior or monk", you never hear "group looking for elementalist, mesmer, necromancer, ranger"... Its really annoying.

And also, I was in a party with 4 monks once, and no warriors. It was a complete undead massacre... And they were all offensive.

Im myself planning on making an E/mo or me/Mo for farming..

He Hate Me
29-05-2005, 00:56

yes i agree. a monk shoudl follow warriors around healing them as they kill one mob at a time slowly.
under no circumstances should they spec to smite, and solo 10 mobs at a time and actualy farm 10x quicker. nonono it make no sense! just be a good boy and heal my gimped warrior so i can actualy do something plz.

TheQuickness
29-05-2005, 18:00
yes i agree. a monk shoudl follow warriors around healing them as they kill one mob at a time slowly.
under no circumstances should they spec to smite, and solo 10 mobs at a time and actualy farm 10x quicker. nonono it make no sense! just be a good boy and heal my gimped warrior so i can actualy do something plz.

(understands sarcasm)lol...that would a horrible warrior. but even if the monk just healed what about healing an zealots fire? or healing with zealots fire AND using judges insight on the warrior? what about healing, using judges insight, AND using Shield of judgement?

monks have interesting skills that allow them to heal/protect, and damage at the same time. and they can bring along a few skills that let them punish anyone who dares attack them. a Mo/Me can do some serious damage to a warrior with two knowckdown smites, holy strike and arcane echo...that could be like 250 damage in a matter of a few moments. enough to make a warrior think twice about attacking you. with balthazars aura that stacks up even more.

Seeing as how a monk is always the immediate target(except for sometimes mes is first) in PvP I see no reason why they cant spring a good trap ^^ then they can bring heal other, healing breeze, and word of healing/oriason of healing to be a secondary healer after the other team decides not to mess with them.

Some people lack the vision to be creative at all, they tend to usually lose in the second round and either blame their team or say the other team cheated...then anyond good laughs at them and ditches them =P losers...

Brownie Crumbler Og
03-06-2005, 00:51
well... i dont no if any body anserd{sp} the question... cuzz i really want to make a smiter..

like a mo//somthing but i dont no what maybe r/mo for smiting and use smite with boe{smite the skill} cuzz its "super" fast umm..

if u no of a good build "smiters" of course post it and explain {AND I MEAN EXPLAIN!!} :) :happy34:

im open to not havionmg mo as primary.. dont give me the ele/mo crap tho {its not crap i just dont want it}

Niven
03-06-2005, 01:32
I play a smiting monk and I've never had anybody complain.
To be able to sit back protecting and then save the day with an AoE of 425dmg over 10 seconds is kinda handy ;)

I can then switch skills and farm if need be.

I carry:

Smite (Or another heal if there are a lot of mobs)
Balthazars Aura (260 AoE dmg over 10 seconds)
Symbol of Wrath (165 AoE dmg over 5 seconds)
Mending (+3 health regen)
Healing Breeze (+7 health regen)
Mark of Protection (+40 Armour / +8 Health Regen)
Restore Life (40% health / 70% Energy)
and any other skill to suit the mission (Such as Scourge Healing to eliminate healers)

With:
16 smiting
10 protection
10 healing
4 divine favour

Unless we are fighting mesmers, you can be sure I'll be stood at your side protecting you after all others are dead.

Brownie Crumbler Og
03-06-2005, 16:38
thks for posting that but what u thk should be secondary?? i mean i no it doesnt matter but im sure in the begining some secondary skills could help. .

{edit} oh yeah and like to use smite u need a bow or sowrd or meele weap what do u use to pull that off?? thats y im asking about secondary altho monk is fine with out one { right?}

kasandaro
03-06-2005, 20:10
thks for posting that but what u thk should be secondary?? i mean i no it doesnt matter but im sure in the begining some secondary skills could help. .

I've noticed a lot of monks, including the one I play stock completely up on Monk skills. His build has an open space, but there's not really any other skill points to shake loose. I'd probably toss in Zealot's Fire if I knew I was going to be doing a lot of b/u healing (Facet skill runs), or just a Res-type in PvE. Haven't done a lot of PvP yet, so...

{edit} oh yeah and like to use smite u need a bow or sowrd or meele weap what do u use to pull that off?? thats y im asking about secondary altho monk is fine with out one { right?}

Smite /is/ an attack, but I've used it with a staff and received the bonus damage. Get a really good fire/holy wand/staff and you can blow through undead. Not the first skill to use as the mob runs up, but happy nonetheless.

Niven
03-06-2005, 20:55
Yeah Smite works fine with any weapon, I use a staff as well.

Erm, I have warrior as secondary for farming reasons (For balanced stance anti-knockdown).
Any secondary would work be fine - just look for skills that suit you.

Neandro Thal
03-06-2005, 21:13
Im loving my new Mo/R. It can farm or solo much much much better than my W/N. Monk is L16, in the Amnnon Oasis, and does all missions with only 3 henchies.

Smite
Bane Signet
Symbol of Wrath
Troll Ungent: self healing of +4 x 10 sec
Remove Hex
Purge Condition
Orison of Healing
Healing breeze

If on a real team as a solo monk would drop smite for restore life of course. I picked ranger as a second just to unlock skills but troll ungent is great self heal for only Wildnerness 2, cheap and leavesm Orizon and Breeze open for team heals, or self heals if the sh1t hits the fan. Rangers also get a nice "run" skill and traps which come in handy in PvP. I honestly think a Smiting/Healing monk should be able to remove both hexes and conditions as later in the game those two disabilites are rampant. I can farm undead in Riverside with the Henchie Healer at L16 with this build.

OF note: there are better monk skills out there which require more energy. But I use censors armor for the the better resistance against physical dmg, which reduces energy, so instead have chosen to go with cheaper, faster skills, and it has worked out great.

Brownie Crumbler Og
04-06-2005, 16:55
thks for the input i choose necro for my secondary.. i was doing pvp and i was useing some blood skills anywho if i see a mob ill just use vamp touch to git close and then wrath them or somthing that does aoe