PDA

View Full Version : "Monk with teeth"?

tHrs
20-05-2005, 18:11
i've been playing for a week and am still trying to figure out all the classes goods and bads
my current char is a Mesmer/Ranger, i chose mesmer coz i thought it was a DoT char which it isnt
i kinda like the feeling of being usefull(i know mesmers are)
but i dont wanna be thinking "ok now im dead" when someone comes after me and then start running and healing myself
resuming, a monk that could heal decently and still be able to kill or hurt badly enough someone that comes after me.
is it possible?
if you have that build and dont wanna share just give me a few hints and i'll try to figure it out myself
thanks in advance

Blieps
21-05-2005, 02:15
Personally, when I play a mesmer (primary) I like to play offensive with the Domination line and interupt or other stuff to really mes the enemy up. For healing I would simply prefer either being a monk primary or having another monk as backup. But lvling another character might be something you don't wanna do. So you can take the monk secondary and up the healing prayers for healing touch and breeze which is what I like for self healing as a monk. Hope this helps any.

Edit:
The quote was not really needed.

tHrs
21-05-2005, 03:46
Nah i dont wanna be a self-healer, that sucks
i wouldnt bother to start over

tHrs
21-05-2005, 06:45
In another topic i saw Mo/Ele using ele's Armor of Earth, where do i get this skill(just to have an idea of how long will it take till i get it)
seems like a good choice, but that'd just prevent me from dying right?
btw, whats the best way for a monk not run out of energy?

kid icarus
21-05-2005, 09:43
Armor of Earth is available through a quest in post-searing Ascalon. Now if only lots of other earth magic were available then...

bodangly
21-05-2005, 10:41
I have only played a Mo/Me and not any other kind of monk, so some of this may not apply, however, some of it will. When I first started I was big on orison mixed with dwaynas kiss, but I soon realized this was a horribly inefficient method of healing. Far more efficient than constantly doing direct heals, is to drop a healing breeze when a party member starts to get hurt, and if they are a tank, you know they are drawing aggro as they are being hit, and hopefully will keep that aggro, so then drop something like healing seed on them. This seems like a lot of energy to spend, but I have found in the long run it keeps my energy reserves much higher. Then if things get hairy, I still have word of healing for the big heals, and orison (or Signet of Devotion) for some quick direct heal spells. If you don't have word of healing yet, I've found heal other to be more efficient than dropping an orison followed by dwaynas. When my energy gets low, I have either leech signet, or energy tap to give myself a little boost. I also keep a 2nd quickweapon set up where I have an ankh that gives me +21 energy, but -1 regen. I find the -1 regen to be too much for this to be used all the time, but when my energy gets low, and I need some energy NOW, I can hit F2 and bam, more energy. This has saved my party many times.

Feynt
22-05-2005, 11:46
You want a class that can't be killed easily, can kill well, and doesn't run out of energy... That would be none, for if such a build existed everyone would have one.

However, a monk on it's own is a very durable creature. With the right skills, you can stand in the middle of a swarm of enemies and laugh the damage off. I would say the most durable is the Mo/E combo. Lots of heals, efficient healing from Divine Favour, and Earth magic to bolster your defenses with Armour of Earth, Kinetic Armour, and/or Ward Against Melee. Of the three, I would say Armour of Earth is best. Its armour will affect even spell damage (from other elementalists and some necro spells).

To not run out of energy, or at least lessen the rate at which you lose energy, a combination of Peace and Harmony (a monk elite skill) and mesmer Inspiration spells would sinch the deal. With just the right mesmer Inspiration spells (Energy Tap, Inspired Hex, and Drain Enchantment all come to mind as excellent spells that will hurt the enemy, at least energy or buff wise) you're set to push back the energy issues.

Ante Gotovina
22-05-2005, 13:28
i encountered a few smiting monks... all but one put the N in Noob, but that one was really making impressive amounts of damage. Although she(the characters gender at least) depended on me for healing. Was amusing to see her deal more damage than elementalists and tanks combined. Smiting monks can truly be devastating in the right hands... only if you manage to find such a player...

Feynt
23-05-2005, 00:08
That's true for W/Mo's as well. Most of them have no regard for their life, or the lives of their team mates and rush in where any other class combo would fear to tread. Only a few of those lemmings actually know what they're doing when they rush in to what seems like certain doom.

Hakuryu
23-05-2005, 01:09
I tried out a smiting Mo the other night with two main goals in mind. Make myself a target, and kill anything that gets near me.

To make myself a target I use names like "Healer Henchbot" or "Master Healer".

To kill people I use

Zealots Fire - 42 dmg to enemies around anyone I use a skill on
Balthazars Aura - 24 dmg a second for 10 second to nearby enemies
Symbol of Wrath - 30 dmg a second for 5 seconds to nearby
Shield of Judgement (elite) - knocks down attackers and does 47 dmg, for 19 seconds
Smite Hex - 80 dmg to nearby
Orison of Healing and Heal Other for Zealots Fire dmg
last skill I change around, usually res

Usually a tank or two comes for me and I Shield/Balths/Symbol then spam orisons on myself. By the time they get up from the first knockdown Ive done 47+24+30+42 to all surrounding attackers. If they stay attacking me, the dots and orison/zealots kills a W in like 10-20 seconds.

If they leave me, I usually use the same skills on a teammate being attacked. Remember during this all I will spam small orisons on teammates for 42 dmg to anyone around them.

Id like to find a partner that would be the 'nexus' for my smites and cast everything on them as they ran into the middle of casters/healers...bet that would work great also.

I don't think any class can outdamage this over time, unless the enemy team stands in one spot and a E takes advantage of them not moving.

angrysquirrel
23-05-2005, 01:27
i encountered a few smiting monks... all but one put the N in Noob, .

if you want to do damage, dont be a monk, or be a monk and use the dmg from your secondary class.

love that quote ante :)

if its pvp sustainability then there is a build that nearly unstoppable.. w / mo with 3 enhancements..mending, watchfull spirit (will give you health regen of about 5 with low +healing) BUT you have no mana regen! so the last enhancement is..balthazars spirit. then put healing breeze in your toolbar and that leaves room for 4 warrior skills.

so you have health regen of 5 normally, whenever you get hit you gain adrenaline (lots) and mana, if you get worried about your health, hit healing breeze and your regen rate goes through the roof !

downside to this build ? if you die you are basically ****ed after a rez until mana is back up to at least 35. with only 4 warrior skill slots you wont have every trick up your sleeve.

:howdy:

Feynt
23-05-2005, 01:51
Desecrate Enchantments would seriously kick your ***. Then there's Lingering Curse (strips all enchantments) and Rend Enchantments (strips 2-8 enchantments. Sure it'll do some damage to you, but to stop +5 HPR it's worth it). Well of the Profane would also do you in if there's a corpse nearby.

In the mesmer side, Drain Enchantment or Inspired Enchantment would help out the mesmer a great deal. Either he can get a good amount of energy from you quickly, or he can get a fair amount of energy from you and then use your enchantments to buff his own team.

SoliS
23-05-2005, 06:00
theres ALWAYS a skill or two that will "seriously kick your ***" regardless of what build you are using.

so, i say, "watch out for people using said skills, and run away or kill them. or have your teammates kill them."

thats a good build in my estimation

Diast
23-05-2005, 06:43
I tried out a smiting Mo the other night with two main goals in mind. Make myself a target, and kill anything that gets near me.

To make myself a target I use names like "Healer Henchbot" or "Master Healer".

To kill people I use

Zealots Fire - 42 dmg to enemies around anyone I use a skill on
Balthazars Aura - 24 dmg a second for 10 second to nearby enemies
Symbol of Wrath - 30 dmg a second for 5 seconds to nearby
Shield of Judgement (elite) - knocks down attackers and does 47 dmg, for 19 seconds
Smite Hex - 80 dmg to nearby
Orison of Healing and Heal Other for Zealots Fire dmg
last skill I change around, usually res

Usually a tank or two comes for me and I Shield/Balths/Symbol then spam orisons on myself. By the time they get up from the first knockdown Ive done 47+24+30+42 to all surrounding attackers. If they stay attacking me, the dots and orison/zealots kills a W in like 10-20 seconds.

If they leave me, I usually use the same skills on a teammate being attacked. Remember during this all I will spam small orisons on teammates for 42 dmg to anyone around them.

Id like to find a partner that would be the 'nexus' for my smites and cast everything on them as they ran into the middle of casters/healers...bet that would work great also.

I don't think any class can outdamage this over time, unless the enemy team stands in one spot and a E takes advantage of them not moving.

That build is great vs Worriors, but with so many enchantments and heavy heal reliance you are mesmer food. W/ a little domination + illusion magic you wont be able to heal yourself nor set up any dots.

Hakuryu
23-05-2005, 09:50
That build is great vs Worriors, but with so many enchantments and heavy heal reliance you are mesmer food. W/ a little domination + illusion magic you wont be able to heal yourself nor set up any dots.

True, there is a counter to anything. I carry smite hex to deal with backfire/etc. But if there are multiple people doing backfire/scourge healing/etc, yes I do face a problem. Hopefully thats where the healing Mo helps me out :)

angrysquirrel
23-05-2005, 20:22
Desecrate Enchantments would seriously kick your ***. etc.

yeah there is one thing that people dont realise about this game, for every action there is a reaction , or more subtly there is a counter spell for everything, there is no iwin button, there is no unbeatable build.

and that is fcuking fantasic, to finally find a well thought out balanced game.