PDA

View Full Version : E/Mo vs. Mo/?

azenram
23-05-2005, 08:48
I've been thinking about playing a monk for a while now because my guild needs one and no one else wants to take on the job.

I would like to know what the advantage of playing a primary monk is as opposed to an elementalist primary/secondary monk, solely from a healing perspective. Divine favor doesn't seem too great to me, especially when compared to how much energy an elementalist has. Plus some of the elementalist energy storage skills are pretty awesome. I'm not too familiar with monk skills seeing as how I've never played one, so maybe that's where the problem is. If someone wise could advise me with their wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

He Hate Me
23-05-2005, 18:20
I would like to know what the advantage of playing a primary monk is as opposed to an elementalist primary/secondary monk, solely from a healing perspective. .

Healing power.
an Elementalist with all points he can put in healing cannot heal for half of what i do. Thats pretty big, no matter how much extra energy you have. with my current skill setup im very very rarely ever out of energy, even when other monks are spamming 'my energy is 2/49'

they can make decent secondary healers, but id rather just have another monk healing for 2x as much as him.
even alot of 'healing' monks make the mistake of overlooking divine favor.

play an e if you want to be a e, but if you want to heal do it right and play a monk! :howdy:

Stygian Abyss
23-05-2005, 18:54
An elementalist can heal more often but at a lesser amount.
A monk can heal more per heal but less frequently due to mana constraints.

Having said that, if you are an elementalist chances are you'll be using your elementalist spells, which limits the actual amount of mana you have left for healing when the need arises. Additionally, you'll have to split points between your elementalist skills and monk healing skills, whereas a monk has less to decide most of the time. An elementalist can work well as a secondary healer, however. And they have spells that can save their butt (but so can the monk, especially if he gets elementalist secondaries and use earth spells)

Loquetus
24-05-2005, 11:25
i prefer e/mo atm
yes div favour is good but spells like healing breeze etc are good without a healing bonus

with an e/mo it's easyer to spam spells like heal other and healing breeze
a healing breeze + heal other combo manages to heal most people back up to health (throw in a protective spirit when needed)

my e/mo's always get a good few points in energy storage and rest = protecting and healing

limitting dmge recieved to 10% max of full hp and heal other/ healing breeze are good enough to heal, so you don't really need div favour in those cases

Herthbul
24-05-2005, 13:25
Considerhing this has been discussed a thousand times, try the search button.

But anyway, it comes down to this. The Elementalist has extra energy, sure. But he needs to put in more energy to heal for the same amount that a Monk can. A Divine Boon+Orison of Healing combo can heal for around 150 on a primary Monk. An Elementalist would have to cast 2 to come close to that. So in the end, the extra energy the Elementalist has really doesn't matter because he's going to be spending more of it just to keep up with the Monk primary. Plus you have to throw stuff in like Monk's get runes and they can heal for alot in a short amount of time which is vital in PvP.

azenram
25-05-2005, 03:49
After reading both sides of the argument I've decided to go with a primary monk because that will be more useful for PvP. Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

kleang
25-05-2005, 09:38
May be too late but in my opinion:

Monk :
Best for healing. Many cool skills in Divine tree.

Elementalist:
Best for protection and smiting because no divine and plenty of energy. Also, Ward can help.

:surprise:

gottrap
14-07-2007, 23:17
I would stay away from e/mo because divine favor really helps. when you think about it, 100 energy doesn't matter when you're healing an extra 50 health with divine favor. so when you're gonna heal, just be a monk.

Akirai Annuvil
15-07-2007, 00:30
2 year old thread necromancy ftw :huh: :grin:

MoonUnit
15-07-2007, 01:59
2 year old thread necromancy ftw :huh: :grin:

Wow first post too. :shocked:

Lytha
15-07-2007, 12:08
with an e/mo it's easyer to spam spells like heal other and healing breeze
a healing breeze + heal other combo manages to heal most people back up to health (throw in a protective spirit when needed)
You're proving the point that Mo/x is better than E/Mo with your example of how excellent the E/Mo is, nothing more.

Eles lack knowledge about monk skills, think that healing breeze (without the DF bonus) is a good way to catch a spike, and that they can cast heal other and heal party all day.

That's exactly why a Mo/x is by far the better choice; even if it's a healing breeze spamming starting player, it has a bit of DF.

On the other hand, if a player actually knows what it's doing, a E/Rt might be ok as a second healer. By far better than a E/Mo, though still very much second-rate.

Edit: aw, I went straight into the thread necromancer's trap.

I was so annoyed at the idea that people still think that HB'd be good, and was reminded of that E/Mo "healer" who messed the RoF mission so badly one day.
Oh well.

Vanez
15-07-2007, 17:58
lol whats the point in posting noe lol :D