PDA

View Full Version : N/W Experiences

ericTHEross
24-05-2005, 02:01
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums as of a few weeks ago but this will be my first post. I'm going to talk about my experiences with the Necromancer/Warrior combination. I have had alot of fun with this class and find it extremely useful PvP, however it can also preform almost equally as well in PvM. Its true strength's lie in its life stealing and huge damage capabilities although you cannot treat this class like a warrior primary. Necromancer armour has a fairly weak defence so using this combination will mean your character is fragile. This means this character requires a unique play style. Usually if I am about to enter in to a big mob I will lay down 2 or 3 life siphons, run in and then reapply as soon as they wear off. This helps to ensure a flow of health constantly whether the monk is focusing on me or not. I think this combination is more effective then the Warrior/Necromancer configuration because it provides you with more energy and the ability to use necromancer runes. You need that energy and stat points to use your skills to there full potential and ultimately to be successful. Note that this is just the way that I play.

PROS:

Huge Damage with Blood Magic and Weapon Skills
Life Steal
Strong in PvP
Powerful in PvM

CONS:

Low Armour
Needs Monk to use full potential in PvM
Skillful Play Required

Skills Recommended:

Life Siphon: Essential in PvP, set up 2 or 3 and you can begin to act like a warrior. This spell can be cancelled.

Vampiric Touch: Very useful skill, at 8 Blood Magic you steal and damage 50 health. This skill ignores armour level.

Endure Pain: 90 Life at 0 tactics. Can be used as a last minute heal and combined with sprint.

Sprint: Useful because damage with accumulate faster on your low armour and you will need to escape.

Healing Signet: Heal!

For Great Justice: Adrenaline skills charge twice as fast. If you plan on using weapons this is an important skill.

Two Weapon Skills

Recommended Stats:

Blood Magic: 12, crucial in keeping you alive.

Weapon Skill: 12, damage you'll need it.

Tactics: 3, In my opinion more useful then soul reaping. I use tactics based skills very often so for my build I chose to place my extra points here.

Hope this helped somebody, and forgive me if this is general knowledge now. I'm new!

Figured you might want to know my character:

Hampus Servius N/W16
Lions Arch Armour Set
15-22 req. 8 Fiery Dragon Sword
Idol (+9 energy +27 life when enchanted)
Ragged Scar Pattern (Blood Magic +1)

Nightchill
24-05-2005, 11:23
Couple of things first:
- Necro armour is pretty damn good, certainly not one of the weakest.
- Soulreaping isn't a bad ability, even in PvP. The extra energy from having a few points in can easily be enough to pull off another lifesteal.
- A blood specced necro shouldn't be relying on a Monk. Slap some life siphons on multiple mobs, use Well of Blood (in fact, my later PvE tactics revolve around copious WoB use) etc.
- The build looks like a somewhat weak "Vampire" build but, if it works for you, great :)

Skill comments:
- Life Siphon. Fine by me
- Vampiric Touch. Another no brainer. Should probably be Vampiric Gaze (more efficient) if you're only taking one.
- Endure Pain. Wouldn't bother with this (especially with such low tactics), swap in Life Transfer (elite) instead maybe.
- Sprint. Maybe. Taking up a valuable slot that could go to Vampiric Gaze instead.
- Healing Signet. For a blood specced necro? Seems a waste of a skill. If you're PvPing you'll have a Monk. If you're PvEing your life drains/Well of Blood will do the job of healing.
- For Great Justice. If you're using swords/axes, adrenaline shouldn't be a big problem. Could always swap Flurry in I guess.
- Two Weapon Skills. For swords, SA+Gash (or maybe SA+FT).

Attribute comments:
How about dropping one (or both) the 12s to an 11 and using some runes?

ericTHEross
24-05-2005, 17:30
thanks for the advice, i currently use SA + Gash combo but am definitely going to switch out a few skills for your suggestions. 12 definitely seems wasteful after looking over it and probably put them both to 11 and maybe invest in soul reaping.

Cyric Soulbane
24-05-2005, 17:47
I won't comment on the other stuff, but Endure Pain is a Strength based skill, not tactics.

Jeriak
26-05-2005, 05:44
I personally disagree with your statement for necro/warrior. necro/warrior has been my only combo since day one, so i have experimented with alot of stuff.

lemme tell you why i disagree with what you say. oh, and im just disagreeing with you, none of this has any anger or hatred. just so ya know.

endure pain its a STRENGTH based skill, so if u wanna use somthing, go with demonic flesh, its 176 hp with 12 blood magic.

vampiric touch has no use for me, the skill doesnt even exist in my book, vamp gaze is WAY better energy efficient and can be used at range. with 12 blood it still steals 52 hp, making is very powerful

sprint is a strength based skill, i would personally go with hamstring, or knockdown skills. i also would not recommend going hammer, since it works alot better for a warrior primary.

healing signet isnt needed, with vamp gaze and life transfer and a defensive or shield stance, u should save the other spots for offensive or anti caster.

for great justice is OK, but i dont see a need for it. i would reccomend actual skills then this.

this is my hammer build atm.
vamp gaze
life transfer
strip enchantment
irresitible blow
hammer bash
crushing blow
defensive stance
rez sig

i think its pretty straight foward. vamp gaze and life transfer deal heavy damage while healing me. strip enchantment is a quick 100 hp and takes of stuff like mending on warrior monks, and divine boon if u can get that. irrisitable blow hits for upwards for 80+ on non warriors, and hammber bash + crushing blow is a stun + good damage and deep wound. defensive stance also gives me 10 seconds of increased protections while waiting on a monk heal or refresh on life transfer.

ive had great sucess with this build, major damage and good survivability, even if using hammer

if you prefer sword, i go.
vamp gaze
life transfer
strip enchantment
sever artery
gash
plauge touch/galrath slash
shield stance/bonnettis defense
rez sig
this is a strong defensive build which can also deal pretty good damage. i use this for random team, monks arnt alays present. there are many switches on the plague touch area because they all work. galrath if u want more damage potetial, or plague if u want a more defensive approach. but i prefer plague touch cause it can be deadly on poisions and bleeding ect.

ive had great sucess with these builds, im just sharin them for the hell of it.

good luck to ya.

Reni
26-05-2005, 19:57
One big thing that warrior primary and secondaries get that people don't really think about is their interrupt moves. Things like Savage Slash and Disrupting chop can be very useful and really help stop a team from recovering in those critical times. They are also very useful in pve against certain mobs (troll unguent anyone? -.-;;)

They also have the added benefit of being able to interrupt not only spells, but skills and signets as well.

Vampiric touch isn't all that great of a skill, true, but i've found it useful in pvp sometimes. It works as a great backup if a mesmer or necro is really laying the enfeebles hard on you. i've had times when i've been backfired and empathy'ed and generally forgotten about, only to finish off that mesmer with a touch ^o^

ericTHEross
27-05-2005, 02:33
Sorry guys, I realize after looking at my first post that I gave the impression that this is what i consider the best necro/warrior build. Really I was just looking for advice, and thanks for all the tips you've given me. Blood Well is my new best friend!

EDIT: SPELLING

jasad
27-05-2005, 19:56
I play a N/W too, and here's my typical PvE skill loadout:

Life Siphon
Vampiric Gaze
Vampiric Touch
Penetrating Blow
Executioner's Strike
Swift Chop
Frenzy
Rez

My strategy is:

Cast Life Siphon on as many opponents as I can before the mean things reach me (usually 2 or 3). This gives you increased health regen while damaging stuff.

Target nearest and hit Swift Chop and Frenzy. By the time that target is dead or really close to dead, my adrenaline-based skills are charged up. If my target is not quite dead, hit 'em with Vampiric Gaze to finish 'em off.

Target nearest and apply life siphon if needed, then nail 'em with a Penetrating Blow or Executioner's Strike, and Frenzy. Use Vampiric whatever as needed. While hacking away, hit next target and cast Life Siphon. That let's you cast without giving up your melee target.

Lather rinse repeat.

I usually die last or not at all against overwhelming odds... :happy65:

goblintrain
27-05-2005, 20:05
One big thing that warrior primary and secondaries get that people don't really think about is their interrupt moves. Things like Savage Slash and Disrupting chop can be very useful and really help stop a team from recovering in those critical times. They are also very useful in pve against certain mobs (troll unguent anyone? -.-;;)

They also have the added benefit of being able to interrupt not only spells, but skills and signets as well.

Vampiric touch isn't all that great of a skill, true, but i've found it useful in pvp sometimes. It works as a great backup if a mesmer or necro is really laying the enfeebles hard on you. i've had times when i've been backfired and empathy'ed and generally forgotten about, only to finish off that mesmer with a touch ^o^

Reni, you can't expect people to use interrupt moves, that takes skill! ;) Lol! Actually i'm speaking for myself. I haven't got the art of interruption down yet, but am working on it. BTW, i tend to keep that old fossil, Vampiric touch just for the same reasons you pointed out.

With all the talk of Blood based necro warriors, i would like to chime in that i am having a great time in the Arena with a Death based one. Until i got the chance to try it for myself, i figured that a necro warrior basically had to be blood based. Not true! My build can kick some serious butt in the random team arena.

My basic setup is as follows.

Dismember (Deep wound)
Axe Rake (Cripple)
For Great Justice
Healing Signet
Unholy Feast
Virulence (Weakness + Disease)
Plague Touch
Resurrection Signet

Even by myself i can stack 4 conditions on a foe, and more with plague touch if they try bleeding or poisoning me. The build works very nicely in conjuction with a trapper, because then i can disease them from a distance without having to establish the conditions myself. plague Touch really helps this too. In fact, plague touch alone is usually sufficient to provide the condition requirement for launching Virulence without me having to wait & establish a deep wound + cripple combo with the axe.

Corpses? Even in the 4v4 arena they are actually much more plentiful than you would imagine. We can thank the ever abundant W/mo's and the pre-release changes to the Res signets for this. They were not an issue. In fact, there were enough corpses that in several matches, necros were making good use of minions even in these small scale contests.

Corpse supply in PvP is often brought up in armchair hero engineering, but in actual play i did not find it to be a problem. Sure, sometimes i did not have one when i wanted, but when i did have them, the advantage they gave me was just sick. In one particular match where lots of resing wasing on, i cleaned out 3 opponents and won the match for my team because of the corpse resource. Never underestimate the power of corpses! ;) Again, this was the 4v4 arena! Not Tombs or GvG!

Disease spreading to allies? I got surprisingly little complaint about this, & on the whole, it seemed to hurt the enemy much more than it did my team. For myself, i needed to plague touch the disease back to the recipient after initial contact, & after that, i didn't seem to contract the disease condition from that target anymore unless i cast Virulence on them again.

Overall she was very effective, and i plan on using her a lot more & trying different versions of her build. I am still playing as Elizabeth Batheroy, so look me up sometime ingame, Reni.

Take care! :happy34: