PDA

View Full Version : Protection Monk Build

Furqan
24-05-2005, 06:40
hey all, this is a protection build Monk that I've been playing with in the Tombs that I've found really effective. It's obviously only effective with two primary healing monks in the group... please comment as any feedback would be appreciated.

12 DF
12 Prot
9 Earth
Last couple in Smiting
(I don't remember if these numbers are right off the top of my head but you get the picture...)

1) Reversal of Fortune - I love this spell. Coupled with a high divine favor, and it's a wonderful healing spell that's hidden in the protection tree. This is a great opening spell to case when someone is getting targetted to buy yourself time.
2) Shield of Regeneration (Elite) - Health Regen +9 and Armor +40 really goes a loooong way in keeping the target alive.
3) Guardian - 34% chance to block attacks. Works well when stacked with Ward Against Melee/Aegis.
4) Life Bond - 50% damage back to you. This softens the concentration of a focused fire.
5) Smite Hex - this is really a funny spell to me. It's only 5 energy with a 1 second cast time, and it takes off one hex with a little bonus damage. While Convert Hex takes of all hexes, it has a 15 energy cost, 2 second activation, and can't be self-cast.
6) Mend Condition
7) Ward Against Melee
Rebirth - your customary res spell. Ideally W/Mo should be ressing here.

Variations --> remove Smite Hex and Mend Condition, and go Aegis + Pacifism. Ideally, a Necro will be able to remove ailments from your party and send them to the other team with Plague Sending.

other ideas I have yet to try, replace Shield of Regenration with Shield of Deflection (5-10 seconds, target ally has a 50%-70% chance to evade attacks and gains 12-22 armor.). i think this + guardian + aegies + ward against melee would be very effective at getting lotsa misses.

Unionjack
24-05-2005, 11:10
one critique - I think the most powerful spell-type for a prot monk are those spells that limit total damage, such as Protective Spirit. You don't have that on your prot monk build, instead you focus on evade %s. AoE evades are great to have, but available to other classes. Other classes do not gain damage-cap spells like protection monks, which makes it an exclusive strength.

Plus, when big things are hitting your party for 200, it really doesn't matter if they have a 5% chance to hit. They will still kill someone rapidly before you can target them to be healed.

I'm not saying you should always run these other spells with your prot monk. At best, you should rotate skills depending on the mission. If things hit hard, limit the mobs dmg. Otherwise, go for evades.

Loquetus
24-05-2005, 12:08
i agree having the spells that limmit max dmge that can be done like protecive spirit etc should be in your build pacifisme can be useless for instance stupid idiots attack the pacified target (could be stupid pets that do that) and ruin it
also they can still heal others etc

wand of meelee is a good spell but i'ld go for a elementalist build in order to get alot of evasion
wand of meelee + armour of earth + wand against elements will be alot better then your wand against meelee and they'll have more energy then you
wand of meelee doesn't last that long 18 secs max i think (maybe more with runes etc) recharge = 20 secs and costs 10 energy
as a monk i doubt you'll have the spare energy to keep up the wand

drakesis
24-05-2005, 16:38
i agree having the spells that limmit max dmge that can be done like protecive spirit etc should be in your build pacifisme can be useless for instance stupid idiots attack the pacified target (could be stupid pets that do that) and ruin it
also they can still heal others etc

wand of meelee is a good spell but i'ld go for a elementalist build in order to get alot of evasion
wand of meelee + armour of earth + wand against elements will be alot better then your wand against meelee and they'll have more energy then you
wand of meelee doesn't last that long 18 secs max i think (maybe more with runes etc) recharge = 20 secs and costs 10 energy
as a monk i doubt you'll have the spare energy to keep up the wand

i went as a protection/healer hybrid for a long time until i got too pissed off with every single mob having shatter enchantment, but this is my 2 gold.

use divine boon. have a very high divine favor skill. keep blessed signet on tap, and you can even stack on some more -regen protection buffs, since youll get back 14 energy whenever you need it (if you have on 4.)

the beauty of divine favor is 1. it heals people when you buff them. so, you turn reversal of fortune into a "heal you now, heal you later" buff. 2. it heals you! instant recast time, small animation, 5 energy.

with about 11 or 12 divine favor, all of your buffs including your ones that are a recharge arrow will heal for 60ish.

vigorous spirit is a really nice one when you go in against slow hitting baddies like in the dunes mission. 5 energy, quick recast, and with a high healing, everyone gets 12 back when they do ANYTHING (except use signets.) so if you can convince a warrior to bring in flurry, and keep him vigorous spirited, he wont need any other help.

heck i had fun in one whole cooperative mission by taking in inspired hex, draw conditions, mend ailment. i healed myself by getting crippled. =)

smite hex has a very long recast time, so might want to consider that in your build. most times they are re-hexed and it isnt even half way up. we need more stupid hex removals!

if you are a protection monk, also another thing to look at is dwayna's kiss. it gives an additional 13-18 pts of healing per buff on the person. aegis, persistent buffs, healing seed even count, and so do hexes. i got off a 300 pt heal with that, stacked buffs and a hex, and divine favor/divine boon bonus. =) fast recharge, cheap spell.

smitingmonk
24-05-2005, 17:05
hey all, this is a protection build Monk that I've been playing with in the Tombs that I've found really effective. It's obviously only effective with two primary healing monks in the group... please comment as any feedback would be appreciated.

12 DF
12 Prot
9 Earth
Last couple in Smiting
(I don't remember if these numbers are right off the top of my head but you get the picture...)

i just want to say that you cant have 12 DF and 12 Prot and 9 earth all those would be 242 attribute points and you only have a max of 200 attribute points

you can go with 11 DF 11 prot 8 earth 3 smiting. that will be 197 points out of 200.