PDA

View Full Version : Mesmer build, please comment.

Nern
24-05-2005, 07:02
mesmer/monk
8 fast cast
12 dom
10 insp

backfire
energyburn
empathy
chaos storm
energy surge
ether feast
ether lord
resserect
Trying to make a damage mesmer who resserects as soon as someone dies to keep everyone alive as well.
:howdy: -comment please

Dragon Flame
25-05-2005, 00:48
sounds like a pretty solid mesmer build IMO...theres really nothin much i can suggest...im new to the class as well.

Nobleman Azure
25-05-2005, 01:19
mesmer/monk
8 fast cast
12 dom
10 insp

backfire
energyburn
empathy
chaos storm
energy surge
ether feast
ether lord
resserect
Trying to make a damage mesmer who resserects as soon as someone dies to keep everyone alive as well.

ether lord is a pretty mediocre way of regaining energy if that is what youre aiming for with that skill, i suggest energy tap or drain if you decide to not use energy surge as an elite.

empathy slowly becomes a bad skill as you reach the later levels. I suggest another means of dealing damage.

ressurect is a nice skill but i do recommend restore life or rebirth which IMO is better. Just my opinion however, some people like the range of ressurect.

the build is pretty nice in PVE but if you are willing to compete i suggest bringing something that would protect you.

Efflixi
25-05-2005, 02:39
mesmer/monk
8 fast cast
12 dom
10 insp

backfire
energyburn
empathy
chaos storm
energy surge
ether feast
ether lord
resserect

Empathy gets usless because tanks get a lot of health, and people learn to more out of a choas storms so thats useless too.

I dissagree with Nobleman Azure on ether lord though. Instead of using it on a mage I aim to use it on W/Mo's because it not only makes them lose their energy regen but they also gain 1 degen. Add that with energy drain and you just totally shut down a W/Mo.

I reccomend taking a bit off of fast casting though and try getting inspiration a bit higher. Inspiration sucks until you can get it up there.

All the others will stack up to a great anti-caster build. But, you want a damaging build and inspiration isn't much for damage.

I reccomend going dom/illusion if you are going to damage.

Herthbul
25-05-2005, 04:44
I dissagree with Nobleman Azure on ether lord though. Instead of using it on a mage I aim to use it on W/Mo's because it not only makes them lose their energy regen but they also gain 1 degen. Add that with energy drain and you just totally shut down a W/Mo.

Uh, Spirit Shackles beats Ether Lord for your purposes. Try to stay away from Ether Lord because for all intents and purposes, it's beaten by other skills. Energy restoring? Power Drain. Energy draining? Power Leak.

Nern
25-05-2005, 05:07
Well, empathy can be annoying i believe and i did think about going domination/illusion but without ether feast i would have no way of healing myself, (you cant always depend on the monk)
yeah i think im going to get rid of ether lord and probably chaos storm

does anyone have a good damage dom/illusion build that they could share with me?

Efflixi
25-05-2005, 06:01
Uh, Spirit Shackles beats Ether Lord for your purposes. Try to stay away from Ether Lord because for all intents and purposes, it's beaten by other skills. Energy restoring? Power Drain. Energy draining? Power Leak.

I use both.

Tsume
25-05-2005, 06:19
Time and timea gain I see people bash Ether Lord, but when used properly, its actually a handy lil skill.

You boost your energy regen to 7 pips, and decrease theirs to 1, assumeing its a monk who doesnt maintain enchantments. Casting this on a Monk who uses multiple enchantments is great, as it usually requires him to remove the enchantments, wasting a lot of his energy (he has to recast them eventually) and it stalls his energy pool.

Anyhow, rasing yours to 7pips for 9 seconds, and lowering theirs to 1 pip? Total energy gain is 21 vs their 3 energy (9 more than you would have had which seems low to most people). But the use in the skill really isnt in energy reclamation though it gives you a nice lil chunk over time, its the denial it gives them. On an energy denial build this skill is an excellent compliment as you will often burn through your own energy while burning theirs, then slap this on, wait and use a theft skill as well. But I digress....use it properly, and its nice and effective.

As far as Empathy, yah it can get pretty useless....in PvE it will allways be useful, and suprisingly its pretty useful in PvP at this time as well. Many many players simply dont consider it a threat and will plow through it. I have used it on many a warriors and very few of them are smart enough to pull back and wait for it to be removed or expire. Most of them plow through it and wonder why they are taking so much damage. They swing pretty often over its duration, and 4 swings equates to over 100 damage taken, so you get some good use from that skill....that is atleast until the guys that are in the Warrior forum come over here and read this, and realize how senseless some of them have been in play style. Until people stop plowing through it however, it is a very useful skill as far as damage is concerned. Alternatively, its still useful as a shutdown skill just like Backfire. Too many of you think purely along terms of damage, and I try to equate damage into my points since its what is so commonly referenced. It's a shutdown skill...like Backfire and Blackout. Forcing your opponent to stop what hes doing, or be punished. Simple as that.

Herthbul
25-05-2005, 13:57
Anyhow, rasing yours to 7pips for 9 seconds, and lowering theirs to 1 pip? Total energy gain is 21 vs their 3 energy (9 more than you would have had which seems low to most people). But the use in the skill really isnt in energy reclamation though it gives you a nice lil chunk over time, its the denial it gives them. On an energy denial build this skill is an excellent compliment as you will often burn through your own energy while burning theirs, then slap this on, wait and use a theft skill as well. But I digress....use it properly, and its nice and effective.

If you're looking for denial, why wouldn't you just take a skill like Energy Tap or Power Leak? It accomplishes more for practically the same energy. The fact is that I rather take Power Drain and Power Leak over Ether Lord anyday. Sure it's two skill slots to one, but 1) they're very nice skills so it's not like I'm wasting a slot and 2) their effects are much more influential than an Ether Lord.

Tarew
25-05-2005, 16:05
If you're looking for denial, why wouldn't you just take a skill like Energy Tap or Power Leak? It accomplishes more for practically the same energy. The fact is that I rather take Power Drain and Power Leak over Ether Lord anyday. Sure it's two skill slots to one, but 1) they're very nice skills so it's not like I'm wasting a slot and 2) their effects are much more influential than an Ether Lord.

No offense but this post is not only mostly untrue but also fairly unimaginative if you ask me.
First of all, Ether Lord by itself is already highly useful. The energy gain at high levels is equal to Energy Tap, it has a faster casting time, the same recharge time and contrary to Energy Tap it doesn't simply take a chunk out of your opponents energy but it keeps an opponent from gaining energy for 9-10 seconds which means it can accomplish FAR more than Energy Tap or any other Energy Burn spell if you time it right.

A skilled mesmer should have a fairly good idea of what his opponents' energy level is at. This means that if you plan Ether Lord right when they have next to 0 energy (maybe use an energy burn spell to help the process along) they'll be practically disabled for 10 seconds (with an energy regeneration of 1 you only gain 3 energy during a period of 10 seconds...not enough to cast a single spell).
That's almost as good a disabling spell as Backfire and meanwhile you even GAIN energy regeneration from it.
Lastly the an enemy monk is far less likely to remove this with a hex spell than Backfire because it won't seem like as big a threat while in the hands of a skilled user it can accomplish roughly the same thing.
If you just use an energy burn or energy tap spell, all you do is take a small chunk of energy away (even less if they're already near 0) which will subsequently regenerate rather quickly meaning they'll be ready to cast spells again in 4 seconds or sooner.
Think more carefully before you dismiss a skill so hastily.

Nobleman Azure
25-05-2005, 17:59
Some of you give ether lord too much credit and some of you dismisses it completely. Its mediocre. Its an incredibly nice skill but because of it being conditional, it drops a few points.

When you use ether lord, you cant just use it to disable someone at your will because you lose all energy if you use it. Of course this is a no-brainer that it should be used while you have little energy left (though still having 5 for its cost).

Also when you use it, it wont instantly give you the energy you need, compared to energy tap which will give you slightly less energy than ether lord, just endure a 3 second (which is probably fast casted anyways) cast time and you get your energy back instantly.

It has its uses, its an incredibly good skill if you can spare a slot. I'm not lying when i say that i WANT to use it but unfortunately my skillbar is filled with more versatile skills at the moment.

Herthbul
25-05-2005, 18:11
First of all, Ether Lord by itself is already highly useful. The energy gain at high levels is equal to Energy Tap, it has a faster casting time, the same recharge time and contrary to Energy Tap it doesn't simply take a chunk out of your opponents energy but it keeps an opponent from gaining energy for 9-10 seconds which means it can accomplish FAR more than Energy Tap or any other Energy Burn spell if you time it right.

Just use Malaise and/or Wither from a Necro secondary. Ether Lord is way too conditional to be of any use really. To get the full bang for your buck your opponent should be at 0 energy whereas you should be at just enough to activate it. And if it gets removed, it's even more worthless. At least with Maliase it can be used anytime and it's spammable.

Tarew
25-05-2005, 18:26
Just use Malaise and/or Wither from a Necro secondary. Ether Lord is way too conditional to be of any use really. To get the full bang for your buck your opponent should be at 0 energy whereas you should be at just enough to activate it. And if it gets removed, it's even more worthless. At least with Maliase it can be used anytime and it's spammable.

o_0

Right...well not only does Malaise require you to take necromancer as your secondary class which might be an obstacle for some people, but added to this it ENDS when your opponent reaches 0 energy (not to mention the health degeneration it gives you) making it pretty useless really and the same goes for Wither which is even less useful because it's elite.
Ether Lord not only gives more energy regeneration/degeneration (3 or sometimes even 4 if you use runes as opposed to malaises 2), it also doesn't end before it's time unless it's removed meaning you can effectively lock an opponent at a low energy total for a decent period of time.

Sure it's a bit situational but from the PvP fights I've used it in I find that I have absolutely NO problem depleting my energy in a quick yet effective manner nor do I have any problem finding enemies doing the same thing in general.
Usually a PvP fight has the 2 sides meeting and throwing everything they have at eachother in the first minute or so of the match, followed by a repose where both sides recover if both are still alive.
Overall this makes sure that I can cast Ether Lord with very favorable circumstances most of the time. Sure it requires a bit of timing but it's more than worth it and can be pulled off quite consistantly with practice.