PDA

View Full Version : Pulling with Henchies (Taking Damage)

MsBraston
24-05-2005, 10:29
Has anyone figured out how not to make the henchies rush when one of them takes damage, and more importantly, what it is that makes them not rush when the player takes damage? I've had that a few times.

Thanks. :happy05:

Hunt3r_kill4
27-05-2005, 06:08
I think they follow your exact pathing if you are ahead of you. I dont think they can pull for you, because they follow you specifically.

Dukan
17-07-2005, 20:42
I use henches a lot. Far more than grouping with other players.

For the most part, henches won't attack until you do. This means actually attacking with your weapon or using an attack skill. This has a down side for characters like monks who want to avoid aggroing the enemy. As a monk I've often stood in the middle of a PvE battle and not been attacked because I was only healing the party. As long as I didn't attack, once the fight started, I was left alone.... not always, but often enough that I notice it.

It can be frustrating. I've tried pulling foes by moving up to a foe to aggro them, then backing up into the henches thinking the henches would attack when the monster came in range. The henches have simply backed up with me while I start taking damage. I've tried initiating a fight by targeting a foe with a bow then stopping my attack as soon as the henches run toward the target in response to my attack. But, as soon as I break off to avoid getting rushed by a monster, the henches turn around and run back to me. :mad:

So, it's a bit of a cat and mouse game. Sometimes, the henches will start getting hit when I lure a monster back and they will attack. Sometimes I just take the aggro, then run towards the henches, go past them, and the monsters will break from me and go after the henches (a good strategy for monks whether it's with henches or players).

Playing effectively with henches takes patience and practice. Sometimes I just sit for a full minute or two and watch a group of monsters to see if they split up into smaller groups and move on... making a much safer fight. You might be surprised to find that by waiting like this you can avoid many nasty confrontations. Sometimes the henches will get spread out way behind me when I'm running to the next spot. I've learned to stop now and then to let them catch up. Otherwise, they are likely to aggro an enemy that I safely got past.

I used to think it was necessary to have warrior henches along in every party. But, yesterday, just out of curiosity, I tried the desert ascension missions with my Nec/Ranger with henches. Other than Reyna the Archer, all the henches were casters. I finished Elona and Dunes the first time thru, and I did Thirsty River on the third try. The groups in these missions are spread out, but close enough that if they get rushed by melee fighters, other groups will get aggroed. So, it seemed to me that NOT having warrior henches on these missions might be an advantage. It worked. I ascended my Nec/Ranger in one afternoon/evening without the help of any other players.

Henches CAN be very useful. It's like many things in this game - you have ot play tactically to overcome any shortcomings in the situation. :happy34:

Dr No
18-07-2005, 10:28
I finished Elona and Dunes the first time thru, and I did Thirsty River on the third try. :

I'd be interested on how you did this as I'll be attempting Elona's and possibly Thirsty River with henchies. Have tried with PUG's but they're not as predictable as the henchies, and so many times that I've almost figured out the patrol patterns of the creatures in Elona!

woflborg
18-07-2005, 10:42
I'd be interested on how you did this as I'll be attempting Elona's and possibly Thirsty River with henchies. Have tried with PUG's but they're not as predictable as the henchies, and so many times that I've almost figured out the patrol patterns of the creatures in Elona!

It very much depends on what kinda character you are playing.

Necromancer summoning minions can fly through the missions easily.

Elementalist can easily shower-swarm-meteor the priests and rest is just cleanup where the henchies work just fine.

For a mesmer its a freaking field day. Backfire-diversion-etc. The priest probably kills itself.

Healer characters might have some trouble doing enough damage with henchies to the priest. IF you can get the two melee warriors and orion to attack him at the same time, its easy, but if you do not, as the henchies have a bad way of getting stuck and forgetting the called enemy... might take you few tries.

If you use henchies efficiently, and send them after the weak caster mobs first, it shouldnt be hard at all. But if you get stuck killing those strong archers.. while the casters bash your group with earthquakes.. it most probably wont work at all.

This was mostly for thirsty, which I consider the easier of these two. Elona has amazing amount of mobs, and getting more than one group at a time usually means dying with the henchies :)

Dr No
18-07-2005, 11:19
It very much depends on what kinda character you are playing.

I am playing a R/E, the one character type you don't mention. Have been playing with henchies all the way through, so quite familair with their behaviour. I tend to take healers out first (distracting shot etc) and then deal with everything else.

Have also noticed in PUG's the warrior's grab all the loot too, and by the time I get to the drop sites, they've cleared it all. Hence I prefer henchies for that reason too.

Thinking of taking a fighter, protector, mage, cultist and enchanter...

Mind Wallaby
18-07-2005, 11:26
I've tried initiating a fight by targeting a foe with a bow then stopping my attack as soon as the henches run toward the target in response to my attack. But, as soon as I break off to avoid getting rushed by a monster, the henches turn around and run back to me. :mad:
You can use shift+ctrl+space to call a target without attacking it. Your henchies will then attack the target if it's in their range (i'd guesstimate about 20% further than the aggro radius). I use this all the time with my monk (she carries Peace and Harmony).

I used to think it was necessary to have warrior henches along in every party. But, yesterday, just out of curiosity, I tried the desert ascension missions with my Nec/Ranger with henches. Other than Reyna the Archer, all the henches were casters. I finished Elona and Dunes the first time thru, and I did Thirsty River on the third try. The groups in these missions are spread out, but close enough that if they get rushed by melee fighters, other groups will get aggroed. So, it seemed to me that NOT having warrior henches on these missions might be an advantage. It worked. I ascended my Nec/Ranger in one afternoon/evening without the help of any other players.
That's a great idea. After the latest update, I noticed that caster henches (especially Alesia) are much less likely to run up to melee range to use their staves, so this is probably the best strategy for completing Elona with henches.

Have also noticed in PUG's the warrior's grab all the loot too, and by the time I get to the drop sites, they've cleared it all. Hence I prefer henchies for that reason too.
Loot is randomly assigned, and henches take their share too. You just never see it drop.

woflborg
19-07-2005, 11:10
I am playing a R/E, the one character type you don't mention. Have been playing with henchies all the way through, so quite familair with their behaviour. I tend to take healers out first (distracting shot etc) and then deal with everything else.

Thinking of taking a fighter, protector, mage, cultist and enchanter...

Heh, I dont know much about rangers. But I'm betting choking gass will make those healer monsters easier...

Dr No
20-07-2005, 10:57
Well, I did Elona's, almost with henchies (all the casters - worked a treat). However, I missed completing it by a couple of seconds!! Was sooo gutted I had to just switch of the PC and go have a smoke!

If one of the henchies hadn't somehow aggro'd the boss sneaking round to the 2nd chard (which we dealt with efficiently, all be it 6 on 6) I'd have got to the 3rd chard with more than 12 mins. Either way I somehow managed to sneak my way round to the 3rd chard ignoring 5-6 mobs, got the chard. Then on the run back, with 1:30 left, followed the same route back but somehow a solitary enchanted swordsman got on my tail going up the hill, so I hit whirling defence, 0:15 left, tried to get the henchies to target him (but they wouldn't !?!) and then the enchanted swordsman crippled me! I was like 'run forest, run!' Gotto the top of the hill, a couple more steps and................
0:00 Mission Failed!

Was so gutted, but next time I'll be taking storm chaser instead of whirling defence. Also wasn't to sure where the 3rd chard was, as all PUG's had failed to get this far.

And anyone wanting to do these missions with henchies, the caster's rock (far better than the PUG's I've experienced in the area so far). Health for the whole group rarely dips below 50%.