PDA

View Full Version : Question about GvG

Portaleus
24-05-2005, 11:08
ellow !
Well I'm a new Guild Wars player for some days now (and I didnt sleep much last two nights). Something I really like in the WoW concept was the massive team battles (like 40 players) running to pull a legendary NPC or an other alliance/hord team. I would like to know if the same kind of event could happen in GW too when the community will have grown ?

Crunk Monkey
24-05-2005, 12:21
ellow !
Well I'm a new Guild Wars player for some days now (and I didnt sleep much last two nights). Something I really like in the WoW concept was the massive team battles (like 40 players) running to pull a legendary NPC or an other alliance/hord team. I would like to know if the same kind of event could happen in GW too when the community will have grown ?

The largest pve instances in GW sustain 8 players and the largest pvp matches are typically three-way between teams of 8 each. As far as enormous 40v40 matches, that's extremely unlikely, even though I'm sure the community is already large enough to sustain them. From what I've seen and heard WoW battles like that are pretty chaotic, with everyone pretty much doing their own thing and maybe a very rough, static gameplan. Pvp and even pve in GW is much more tactically demanding though. People need to keep track of the general way that their team is distributed relative to the enemies, healers need to know roughly where everyone is and what type of dmg everyone is taking, mesmers and necros need to keep track of all the hexes they're sustaining, etc. There's really no way that could be done with significantly larger teams than 8.

Shalira
24-05-2005, 13:26
ellow !

I think you're talking about raid groups, since I don't remember any team battles in WoW. Also, horde and alliance can't communicate at all with each other, especially since they nerfed 133t speak. Or maybe you were talking about raiding the town of the opposing side? So, I'm confused by your post. But, if I understand what I think you're saying, I doubt it. One of the charms of GW is not having to spend hours gathering a group (raid or otherwise). And that's what it took to get a raid together in WoW. In EQ, the raid was generally planned in advance (and sometimes had 100 people involved or more). I think most people play GW so they don't have that time sink. Just my $.02 worth.

SLUGFly
24-05-2005, 13:52
I really want this too. But I think that small party sizes are the trade off for a free server. WoW is a paid server and so they have the cash to keep stuff happening and legit for 80 people all fighting each other realtime. GW may be a successful company and a great game, but without a constant income from memberships I think we're pretty lucky just to have a massive world to explore.

Slayer R
24-05-2005, 13:57
ye i dont realy care about the small party sizes i like to kick the monsters around the map :D

Loquetus
24-05-2005, 16:55
40 vs 40 parties would be pretty impossible

*thinks off 20 monks in one party each spamming heal party the entire time
with max divine favour
it would be impossible to kill anyone unlesss all people would start to focus on dmging the same person
and even then if a few nice elementalist steps in doing whirlwind and / or ward against meelee/ wards against elements >>

i'ld like to see anyone getting killed ^^
:lol:
cause unless an army of elementalists with huge fire power start spamming a few persons with fireballs i can't imagine many people dying :D

*maybe running in casting whirlwind to knock down casters or earthquake aftershocking by 5 earth mages at once ^^

Portaleus
24-05-2005, 17:24
But what about GvG... you know when a Guild plan to attack castle from another guild, could we imagine more players than 8v8 or not ? I just asked this question because even if I prefer strategic & tactical battles, it could be fun if sometimes we could have massive fights :cool:

Subatai
24-05-2005, 18:04
If you want that type of play, Lineage 2 would be a good game for you. I played DAOC for years, and the most fun I ever had in that game was doing 8 vs 8 runs in the frontier. That's one of the things that appeals to me in Guildwars, It allows strategy and tactics in the fights, not just big zerg fests.

Subatai