PDA

View Full Version : Divine Boon, uses too much energy?

zotai
24-05-2005, 22:19
I'm a primary healing monk with divine and healing. Basically, I do good in groups taking my pickup as the only monk through all the ascentions with only a few do overs using only healing seed on a warrior, then using healing breeze and orson of healing as needed. I have 39 energy and can just sustain myself enough to last most fights through. I can also usually maintain a 1 pip energy enchantment and do this as well. However, I picked up divine boon and tried it and it seems to bleed my energy dry within seconds of a fight. I know besides the extra pip of regen it uses up 2 more energy per cast, but it seems much harsher a penalty then it looks on paper. The extra heal for having a high divine ability this enchantment gives would be great, but energy is definately my problem. Anyone have success using this enchantment regularly? Is it just not worth it since I seem to maintain a group fine now in PvE?

coldfirene
24-05-2005, 23:12
The thing about Divine Boon is you can't heal your targets until its needed. With Divine Boon going my monk heals for 60+55+32=147 using Orison. Now this is 21 Pts/Energy. Without Divine Boon We are talking 60+32=92. Which is 18.4 pts/energy. Now where the real cost comes in is that loss of one pip. With essential drops your enrgy regen by 25% so multiply the energy cost of the Divine Boon Orison by 1.33% (75% * 1.33 = 100%). With that taken into account the comparison is 15.78. You will see that you are doing less heal per efective enregy output. You make up for this you can use the signet that does energy gain for each maintained enchantment. This is however difficult to manage time wise in PvP. It give 3 energy/maintained enchantment and with casting time and down time it is every 12 seconds or .25 energy per second. Which is 75% of the lost energy from the maintained enchantment. Bottom line is yes it costs you more and you'll need to manage your energy closer. You can however heal for large amounts using ANY TARGETED monk spell. You will be able to respond better to the emergency heals. The examples i showed are with 12 healing and 10 DF. With a 12 in Divine Facvor the Divine Boon will be better. I would also suggest using the Signet of Devotion. This will help manage some energy needs while steal healing for a good amount. Plust this is not a spell so Mark of Subversion and Backfire will not effect it.

MZad
25-05-2005, 14:01
I find divine boon a great spell to use as a combined healing/protections monk. I use protection spells to lessen the healing load, and healing for 80+ (50ish from divine boon, 30ish from divine healing) every time I cast a protection prayer (shielding hands, reversal of fortune etc) really helps out a lot and more than outweighs the regen penalty.

MZad.

lithun
25-05-2005, 18:14
I'm finding that I dont' want to waste a slot in my skill bar with this skill at higher levels.

dirtycash
25-05-2005, 18:38
I'm finding that I dont' want to waste a slot in my skill bar with this skill at higher levels.

I find that some use it and some don't like it.

Me personally, I find it hard to get its a spot on my skillbar, as well as most of the time its massive healiing isn't necessary. If you wait until your person is 150-200+ damage low to do something, you will see in tombs that your teammate is 1-1.5 seconds from being slaughtered.

And isn't cast time on Sig of Devotion something like 2 seconds? Not something I want to rely on if someone is in trouble.

Herthbul
26-05-2005, 00:42
Signet of Devotion is what you use when you don't want to be interrupted, etc... It's not a spell so it goes through spells like Backfire and it can't be interrupted with the Power interrupt line.

yolen
26-05-2005, 09:09
The best combo for a boon healer is divine boon + peace and harmony + orison + breeze.

You can use your breeze as something of a heal bomb, with the big bonus at the start and sustained healing over time, then switch your focus and use orizon on other people. All the while you have an essentially permanent +1 regen from Peace and Harmony totally negating the penalty from boon. add in a third heal (i like dwayna's kiss, but whatever) just in case, and you can heal the living crap out of people for a long time.

I used that for the last mission of the game as the only monk and barely broke a sweat.

Metagenki
27-05-2005, 20:41
All the while you have an essentially permanent +1 regen from Peace and Harmony totally negating the penalty from boon.

It doesn't totally negate it, there's an initial energy cost. Even if it did, this is still less efficient. You'd get more heal per energy just using Peace and Harmony alone.

yolen
27-05-2005, 21:13
It doesn't totally negate it, there's an initial energy cost. Even if it did, this is still less efficient. You'd get more heal per energy just using Peace and Harmony alone.

Someone did the math earlier but i guess you didnt read the whole thread. So here:
"The thing about Divine Boon is you can't heal your targets until its needed. With Divine Boon going my monk heals for 60+55+32=147 using Orison. Now this is 21 Pts/Energy. Without Divine Boon We are talking 60+32=92. Which is 18.4 pts/energy."

And since you're running P&H you do NOT HAVE THE ENERGY REGEN PENALTY. As you should be able to see, you're getting the increased efficiency and extra kick in your heals with no real drawback except that it takes 2 skill slots to pull off and you dont get to hit auto attack.

lithun
31-05-2005, 18:58
Someone did the math earlier but i guess you didnt read the whole thread. So here:
"The thing about Divine Boon is you can't heal your targets until its needed. With Divine Boon going my monk heals for 60+55+32=147 using Orison. Now this is 21 Pts/Energy. Without Divine Boon We are talking 60+32=92. Which is 18.4 pts/energy."

And since you're running P&H you do NOT HAVE THE ENERGY REGEN PENALTY. As you should be able to see, you're getting the increased efficiency and extra kick in your heals with no real drawback except that it takes 2 skill slots to pull off and you dont get to hit auto attack.

P&H only lasts like 1.5 min tops.... I quit using Divine boon mainly because I wanted to equip other skills. In my opinion, divine boon isn't worth the trouble once you're level 20 and have Word of Healing.

bodangly
31-05-2005, 20:44
Divine Boon can be worth it if you have some other way of boosting your energy. I use Signet of Midnight combined with Spirit of Failure to give myself some serious energy regen. Once that is going, I use Divine Boon, works wonderfully.

TheNug
31-05-2005, 21:58
i also find it hard to place it on my skill bar. it's great for low lvl pve but once you get to the desert lets say or pvp i would rather pack more protection skills. i like life bond, it's a hassle to turn on and off both life bond and divine boon.

Cygnus Arnimane
31-05-2005, 23:41
I find Divine Boon helpful mostly if you dedicate yourself to Protection. For melee encounters use Guardian as not only a primary healing spell but a damage reduction with the 5 seconds of decent blocking. Reversal of Fortune and Mend Aliment work well too. The point being you are doing two things in one casting be it blocking, or damage negation, or removal of conditions along with a respectable heal.

If you going to use direct heals alone, I would say Divine Boon is not as effective and I would not recommend it.

TainedPurity
01-06-2005, 00:47
The thing about Divine Boon is you can't heal your targets until its needed. With Divine Boon going my monk heals for 60+55+32=147 using Orison. Now this is 21 Pts/Energy. Without Divine Boon We are talking 60+32=92. Which is 18.4 pts/energy. Now where the real cost comes in is that loss of one pip. With essential drops your enrgy regen by 25% so multiply the energy cost of the Divine Boon Orison by 1.33% (75% * 1.33 = 100%). With that taken into account the comparison is 15.78. You will see that you are doing less heal per efective enregy output. You make up for this you can use the signet that does energy gain for each maintained enchantment. This is however difficult to manage time wise in PvP. It give 3 energy/maintained enchantment and with casting time and down time it is every 12 seconds or .25 energy per second. Which is 75% of the lost energy from the maintained enchantment. Bottom line is yes it costs you more and you'll need to manage your energy closer. You can however heal for large amounts using ANY TARGETED monk spell. You will be able to respond better to the emergency heals. The examples i showed are with 12 healing and 10 DF. With a 12 in Divine Facvor the Divine Boon will be better. I would also suggest using the Signet of Devotion. This will help manage some energy needs while steal healing for a good amount. Plust this is not a spell so Mark of Subversion and Backfire will not effect it.

Where can I get the Signet of Devotion?

Cygnus Arnimane
01-06-2005, 01:18
Where can I get the Signet of Devotion?

Ascalon Settlement I believe.

Signum
01-06-2005, 05:04
if yer a Mo/N get offering of blood. Sacrifices 10% of yer hp to restore a max of 18 energy. Since divine boon is only one enchantment then the energy gain from the signet won't be much. I usually stock up on healing spells that cost 5 energy, add divine boon, and tehn add a way to get your energy bak, you'll be doing great. With spells that cost energy and divine boon you won't hafta wait for your energy regen. In both PvE and PvP (in my experience) this has worked out great, maintaining almost an unlimited amount of energy (even at 500 hp, offering of blood suckin 50 hp is easily fixed).

lred
01-06-2005, 10:03
a bit off topic:

Why is it that when i have divine boon up (and lots of points in divine favor), when i cast a healing spell on myself i see 3 heal numbers, but when i cast it on someone else i see only 2?
Isn't boon + favor supposed to work regardless of the target, so that you get 3 heals allways?

on edit: found the answer; heal from divine favor doesn't show on allies, though supposedly it does work on allies.

Saken
01-06-2005, 22:23
I've been wondering if divine boon worked with aura of faith.. so you get that +60ish from divine boon and the +70 from orison and the +39 from divine favor-- then youd have another +60 for divine boon and another +60 for orison..

It might work since from what I've seen the boon heals come about a second later from the normal base heal + favor heals