PDA

View Full Version : Ascalon armor "reduces damage from attacks"

Reena
25-05-2005, 05:22
Does anyone know what the "reduces damage from attacks" tag on the Ascalon armor does? Can it be translated into armor points, or the amount of attack it reduces?

For example, is it better to have 50 +10 ascalon armor that "reduces damage from attacks" or 50 +20 ringmail armor that has no such tag?

Thanks everyone :)

Herthbul
25-05-2005, 06:06
The clause on the Ascalon and Knight's Armor sets translate into this. "Each amount of direct damage you take (no DoT's here) is reduced by 2 points"

Reena
25-05-2005, 06:35
The clause on the Ascalon and Knight's Armor sets translate into this. "Each amount of direct damage you take (no DoT's here) is reduced by 2 points"

Don't understand "DoT"...

So.. first the armor reduces the amount of damage that was going to be dealt, and then each piece of the ascalon set would reduce it by 2. So... -10 points for the whole Ascalon set, right?

Do you know how armor points work?

Lord Anthrax
25-05-2005, 07:02
The armor points protect you based on where you get hit. So Ascalon Armor only reduces damage if you get hit where you're wearing it.

Cyberberus
25-05-2005, 07:09

Don't understand "DoT"...

So.. first the armor reduces the amount of damage that was going to be dealt, and then each piece of the ascalon set would reduce it by 2. So... -10 points for the whole Ascalon set, right?

Do you know how armor points work?

DoT = Damage over Time

Usually something like fire that continues to burn etc.

Reena
25-05-2005, 12:39
The armor points protect you based on where you get hit. So Ascalon Armor only reduces damage if you get hit where you're wearing it.

Seriously? Does that mean gladiator armor really sucks?

Lestat Requiem
25-05-2005, 14:02
Its just like a minor absorption rune and its not cumulative on each part , u only have -2 and an addition of -3 if u put a superior absortion on ^^

Lord Anthrax
25-05-2005, 14:14
Despite its skimpy look, Gladiator Armor protects with its full value on each location you wear it(torso, arms/hands, legs, feet, head). :)

Draegos
25-05-2005, 16:04
What was meant by the statement about minor absorbtion? Does it only work on the piece of armor you put it on?

If so....DANG IT! I just put a vigor on my hauberk last night and was going to get absorbtion tonight. I could have put the stupid vigor on my leggings.

Back to the original response...it is only -2 huh? Wonder why ANet just didn't write that in the description then.

FallenOne
25-05-2005, 16:14
wait im confused...so putting in a absorbtion rune on ascalon armor set will not be culmulative or do u mean several absorbtion rune?

editted:

so for example if i put ascaron chestpiece on which is -2 and put a sup. absorbtion rune -3 it would be -5 for that body part only?

and other ascaron armor wont add on to the -2 and only for their location?

Batgra
25-05-2005, 19:57
It is my understanding that runes are not cumulative with the same rune.
The ascalon armor *reduces damage from attacks* only applies to the area the piece of armor covers.
1 rune should apply to every piece.

for example
if my warrior was wearing ascalon armor on the chest, wiast, and boots... and wore Gladiator armor on the wrists with a sup rune of absorption...

i would have a total of -5 damage (2 from the ascalon armor, 3 from the rune) on my chest waist and boots.
i would have a total of -3 damage (3 from the rune) on my wrists.

adding another rune of absorption would have no effect at all.

Im still learning the game, and could be wrong. this is my interpretation tho.

Seras Deschain
26-05-2005, 02:55
So simply put, what is better ascalon or ringmail?

Corrodias
26-05-2005, 02:55
the problem is that we have no way of actually KNOWING without a response from AN, because we have no way of accurately testing it... do we? :/

Seras Deschain
26-05-2005, 03:49
I see :happy53:
Well, I guess I'll just outfit my warrior with Ascalon then since it looks better.

Reena
26-05-2005, 04:27
So simply put, what is better ascalon or ringmail?

That's what I'd ask... just how good is this "reduces" damage? Maybe 5 extra armor points is way better than - 2 damage

Reni
26-05-2005, 10:44
From my tests, wearing multiple pieces of a reduce damage set doesn't stack the effect. You only need one piece of it (it can be anywhere) and it applies to the entire body. Its basically -2 damage on anything.

Absorb runes stack with the effect, though, so having a superior absorption as well would mean an extra -3 for -5 total.

in summary, if you want the best absorption and defense overall, wear only one piece of the ascalon or knight set, use a superior absorption rune, and the rest use either gladiators for better physical defense or wyvern/plate for better overall defense.

Oh, and from what I can tell, absorption runes don't reduce spell damage, but the absorption armor does. its only -2 though so its kinda a trivial reduction for spells o.o;;

Hooshang
26-05-2005, 11:31
are you sure they stack? i remember Ensign from gwguru testing it out and finding out that they dont stack. if they stack then that would be awesome.

Lestat Requiem
26-05-2005, 13:33
The best armor is the armor u find stylish ^^

Draegos
26-05-2005, 16:00
The best armor is the armor u find stylish ^^

I tend to agree with this last statement. There are so many factors that play in to survival that the slight differences in the armor selections are really insignificant.

Your skill selection and party members go a lot further as to keeping you alive than your armor.

That doesn't mean you don't need any armor. I just think you should not sweat it too much. Get something you like. There is no inherent "best" choice.

Reni
26-05-2005, 20:47
I don't remember the exact numbers but it went something like this:

mergoyles with a lvl 20 w/m

no armor = 11-14 dmg hits.
wearing absorb shoes = 9-12 dmg hits.
wearing absorb shoes and absorb rune on gloves = 5-9 dmg hits.

so yea, the armor and rune effect stacks o.ob

wearing multiple absorb armor pieces did not change the damage, so these do NOT stack. =\

Infoceptor
27-05-2005, 04:49
So you mean that by wearing one piece of Ascalon Armor, no matter on what body part, will give you -2 dmg from attacks that hit any part of your body? If that is the case, mixing and matching a piece of Ascalon with some other armor like Ringmail seems an amazing idea.

Also, does this apply with an absorption rune. Meaning that if i put this rune on my gloves, it will absorb the dmg anywhere on my body, not only dmg that hits the gloves?

Reni
27-05-2005, 13:14
absorption applies for any hit, no matter where its aimed. You only need one absorb armor and one absorb rune to get the full benefit

Draegos
27-05-2005, 15:38
So you mean that by wearing one piece of Ascalon Armor, no matter on what body part, will give you -2 dmg from attacks that hit any part of your body? If that is the case, mixing and matching a piece of Ascalon with some other armor like Ringmail seems an amazing idea.

No. The -2 only applies to that armor piece (to that part of your body since damage is localized to an area, i.e. head, chest, arms, groin/thighs, feet).

Also, does this apply with an absorption rune. Meaning that if i put this rune on my gloves, it will absorb the dmg anywhere on my body, not only dmg that hits the gloves?

Yes. That is the way those runes work.

XeroTheta
27-05-2005, 16:11
I've noticed from my experience that inherent armor effects stack with runes of a similar type.

For example Helm +1 to strength plus minor rune of strength (+1) gives a total of plus 2 strength

It even shows up on separate lines in the item description

kinda like this:

Dragon helm
+1 strength
Increases strength

I dunno what the exact description is, but it's something like that

Infoceptor
27-05-2005, 18:13
No. The -2 only applies to that armor piece (to that part of your body since damage is localized to an area, i.e. head, chest, arms, groin/thighs, feet).

absorption applies for any hit, no matter where its aimed. You only need one absorb armor and one absorb rune to get the full benefit

I see two contradicting answers here... i think i'll test this when i get home and confirm it myself. The logical solution would be that each Ascalon piece absorbs dmg for only that body part. Otherwise, there would be little reason to wear a full set if it applied to everything anyway. If not, then it would seem a bug from my perspective.

Infoceptor
27-05-2005, 22:52
Ok i tested it out myself and i confirmed what Reni said. You get the absorption from Ascalon and Knight Armor even if you use one piece and don't get hit on that body part. In other words, you get the bonus no matter what. Why they did this... i have no idea. Wearing full armor from either is completely pointless as only one piece will give you the absorption anywhere. Oh well, feel free to mix and match to your hearts desire :).

Draegos
27-05-2005, 22:56
Ok i tested it out myself and i confirmed what Reni said. You get the absorption from Ascalon and Knight Armor even if you use one piece and don't get hit on that body part. In other words, you get the bonus no matter what. Why they did this... i have no idea. Wearing full armor from either is completely pointless as only one piece will give you the absorption anywhere. Oh well, feel free to mix and match to your hearts desire :).

This raises new questions....Do you get a cumulative reduction if you wear all 5 pieces? -10 everwhere?

Not that I am not inclined to believe you, but how did you test it?

Hooshang
28-05-2005, 00:00
no you dont, reni tested that out as well.

Infoceptor
28-05-2005, 16:35
no you dont, reni tested that out as well.
I realize that... sorry if i didn't give enough credit to Reni but the two conflicting answers were confusing and i needed to confirm it myself.

This raises new questions....Do you get a cumulative reduction if you wear all 5 pieces? -10 everwhere?

Not that I am not inclined to believe you, but how did you test it?
I've been wearing full Ascalon Armor before and the damage could not have been possibly reduced by -10. It simply would be way too much. And i believe Reni confirmed it otherwise too. They do not stack. This would not be a problem if each piece gave that body part its own absorption so wearing the full set would be useful but now...

As for the test, it is extremely simple. I bought a Ascalon piece, went outside and had a Whiptail Devourer attack me. When i put the Leggings on, the damage i would take would range from 0 to 1. The 1 can be accounted for because my other armor was higher then the Leggings which was only 60 vs. Physical. The Mail i was wearing was 91 vs. Physical. Obviously, it could also have been a critical hit or a Called Shot. Now when i took off the Leggings, i would take a average of 2 damage. Since i did not have any armor for that part, i sometimes took 6 to 13 damage (wearing boxers :P).

Therefore... it can be easily concluded that the damage was reduced regardless of wearing only one piece. If you truly are that sceptical, go out to the cheaper of the armor crafters in Ascalon City, buy a pair of Ascalon boots, go out and test it yourself. You'll notice a definite decrease in damage of 2 when you put on the boots and take them off.

Reena
29-05-2005, 00:59
I realize that... sorry if i didn't give enough credit to Reni but the two conflicting answers were confusing and i needed to confirm it myself.

I've been wearing full Ascalon Armor before and the damage could not have been possibly reduced by -10. It simply would be way too much. And i believe Reni confirmed it otherwise too. They do not stack. This would not be a problem if each piece gave that body part its own absorption so wearing the full set would be useful but now...

As for the test, it is extremely simple. I bought a Ascalon piece, went outside and had a Whiptail Devourer attack me. When i put the Leggings on, the damage i would take would range from 0 to 1. The 1 can be accounted for because my other armor was higher then the Leggings which was only 60 vs. Physical. The Mail i was wearing was 91 vs. Physical. Obviously, it could also have been a critical hit or a Called Shot. Now when i took off the Leggings, i would take a average of 2 damage. Since i did not have any armor for that part, i sometimes took 6 to 13 damage (wearing boxers :P).

Therefore... it can be easily concluded that the damage was reduced regardless of wearing only one piece. If you truly are that sceptical, go out to the cheaper of the armor crafters in Ascalon City, buy a pair of Ascalon boots, go out and test it yourself. You'll notice a definite decrease in damage of 2 when you put on the boots and take them off.

Wow, this is very cool... and it's definitely been tested and confirmed that getting two pieces of ascalon armor will not give you -4 damage?

Mcdeath
29-05-2005, 01:52
Hmmmm.

Ok here's a question then. What if you had on Ascalon boots and Knights Gauntlets? Would you still get just a -2 damage? Or would THEY stack since they come from different armor types?

So if you had Ascalon Boots and Knights Gauntlets, plus a Superior Absorption Rune, could you hit -2 + -2 + -3 = -7 damage?

Anybody know the answer to this?

Hooshang
29-05-2005, 06:02
yeah me and a friend have been wanting to know the same thing.

BrimstoneGale
06-06-2005, 02:49
Would the damage absorption from rune stack if it's put on the same piece of armor that provides its own damage absorption, or does it only work when the rune is applied to a different piece?

Mcdeath
06-06-2005, 03:44
Hmmm.

The rune stacks regardless of which piece it is on.

endoftheline
06-06-2005, 06:12
This was posted in my thread and may be helpful:

Originally Posted by SonOfRah
Summary -> just for you, but also to re-enforce what people have not been listening to for the past 5 pages of information......

1) Actual values:
reduces damage from attacks (on armor such as ascalon/knights) = -2

absorption runes:
minor = -1
major = -2
superior = -3

This only for attacks (ie: hitting someone with your weapon to cause damage).

2) the bonus granted from absorption runes is applied globaly. ie: it does not matter which armor piece the rune is placed. You will always get the bonus.

3) the bonus granted from the ascalon/knights armor is applied globaly. ie: it does not matter which armor piece you are hit. As long as you are wearing at least one armor piece that has the damage reduction modifier on it (knights/ascalon), then you will always get the bonus.

4) absorption runes and the damage reduction mod both stack with each other. It doesn't matter which armor piece has the mod, how many or where the rune is placed. You will always get the bonus from both the rune and the damage reduction armor piece.