PDA

View Full Version : Best element for PvE/Pvp Mo/E?

MintChocolateChipIceCream
26-05-2005, 04:39
Since this was the formal Elementalist Forum, I decided to make a post here. What would be the best element for a primary Healer/Protection Monk? I'm planning to put maybe 9 or 10 into the attribute for the element. Being an Elementalist helps me to actually do some damage, rather than being 100% supporter. Thanks.

Sieg Hawk
26-05-2005, 10:06
for pvp is air, pve is fire.

Ghostlord
26-05-2005, 20:42
Seeing as your monk primary basically flags you as the granddaddy of all pincushions,and get each and every warrior bee-lining for your butt,and every mesmer and ranger pelting you with stuff-you-dont-want-your-way...i'd say earth,yea,maybe boring,but you'll survive that much longer (we all know why,wards,obsidian flesh,armor of earth,aoe blind,the works)...and if you didnt wanna be a supportive class,maybe you shouldn't have gone monk primary in the first place. but hey,you can always dig out obsidian flame and a spammable short-recharge nuke to have yourself a little bit of damagedealing... just my $.02

JoDiamonds
27-05-2005, 16:30
Fire for PvE and Air for PvP is basically right.

Fire does great area damage, which is good in PvE because most enemies will stand there and die. This doesn't work in PvP, and you want to single out one enemy for a ton of damage ANYWAY for PvP, and Air is better at that.

Ghostlord
27-05-2005, 17:30
Fire for PvE and Air for PvP is basically right.

Fire does great area damage, which is good in PvE because most enemies will stand there and die. This doesn't work in PvP, and you want to single out one enemy for a ton of damage ANYWAY for PvP, and Air is better at that.

i was just thinking of the fact that since hes a monk primary,if anyone,it'll be him being that one target being hit for a ton of damage :happy53:

Diceclock
27-05-2005, 17:56
PvE Fire is pretty much without Question.

However I don't think you should automatically pick Air as your PvP choice. You said your Protection oriented. Earth might be the real PvP choice for you.

Armor of Earth - 60 Armor addition, turns you into a Warrior.
Wards - pratically negates the damage they affect
Obsidion Flesh - Makes you virtually invulnerable while it's up

and besides that....

Stone Daggers - 5 Mana, 40 Damage, totally spammable.
Obsidion Flame - about 100 Damage, ignores armor. Causes exahustion, but has a really fast 5 second recharge.

Air is good if you plan on only picking up 1 or 2 Elementalist spells for damage when your not going to be healing. Earth is good to make you a very formidable Protection build with good choices for spammable nukes.

elsydeon
27-05-2005, 18:51
the monk primary makes you THE first target, so you'll probably want a good spamable healing spell for spike damage, ability to stop or transfer bleeding, and most definately something to kill backfire or youll be a dead man trying to kill a w/mo with your holy stick.

water has some good defense skills, like armor of mist and mist form, and will give you the hexes a monk doesnt get (blurred vision, 50% miss is effectively the same as 50% block); but earth is the element for defense

dont bother with aura of restorabtion, its a shatter enchantment target unless you are using it to protect a mending spell (cast it after mending)

something else you might wanna do is be a normal monk, but use glyphs to boost your spell casting

jvxmtg
27-05-2005, 19:51
Here's my 2 cents:

Primary Monk will most likely to run around chased by Rangers and Warriors in PvP. Therefore your best secondary magic is Earth. Two skills that MUST have with Mo/E build with Protection/Earth Magic, Iron Mist and Ward Against Foe. These two skills are your "get away" skills, with Warrior's Sprint and Dash, you have no chance and you're gonna bleed to death. Iron Mist literally stops incoming Warrior by reducing their speed by 90%, added with the Ward, their speed is down by 95%.

Keep in mind that primary monk's priority is support and keeping yourself alive. Only join in the fight if your team can handle themselves without you, likely when there is only one or two opponents left.

Protection Magic that are MUST haves are, Shielding Hands, Reversal of Fortune, Guardian, Mend Ailment, and Restore Condition (e)/Shield of Regen(e).

So here is the run down of skills.

1) Obsidian Flame
2) Reversal of Fortune
3) Guardian
4) Shielding Hands
5) Ward Against Foe
6) Iron Mist
7) Mend Ailment
8) Restore Condition/Shield of Regen (e)