PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Teaming With a Monk

Diak
26-05-2005, 13:07
This is the Guild Wars version of certain parts of Woefallen's Guide to Teaming With a Doc (by Zanthyna) from the Anarchy Online healer forums, which is a great piece of writing and advice to everyone :)
My reason is the ever-occuring disposition and expectations that many people seem to show towards monks, and the relation between monks & their teams makes the essence of the 'guide' immortal, no matter the different games. I just replaced doc/doctor with monk and rewrote some terms/situations that are used in AO into terms/situations used in GW, and also added the last sentence in Teaming with a monk.
All credit goes out to Zanthyna for the great original guide.

I hope you like it as much as I did :D

Teaming with a monk
Cooperative missions are just like your solo missions, only there are four, six or eight of you, so you can go that many times as fast. Make sure to run from mobs to mobs as fast as you can so that you don't waste any of the monk's time. Also, remember that having a monk in the team means that you will always be healed, so there is no need to stop between fights to heal up. Unlike any other profession, most good monks have virtually unlimited energy so they will always be ready with the heals, making combat a cinch. Run into the largest group of mobs you can see and attack the largest mob. Make sure to stay fighting the the large groups as fighting smaller ones or solitary mobs will likely cause your team to draw less aggro, which slows down the amount of experience you get and pisses off the monk. To further save time, make sure to loot drops only during or right after a fight then move on immediately--the doctor's frantic spamming of Heal Party or her elite healing or protection skill because of the fights you started will cover incidental damage from any traps previously set by mobs. If the monk takes aggro by healing, let her keep it. She is the healer and it's easier for her to heal herself then to heal anyone else. If the monk runs off near 0 HP, be sure to follow her so that you keep getting healed and that she doesn't lose the mobs on her tail thus falling from precious XP or loot.

Also, while I usually discourage players from keeping their party window open when they are fighting (since it blocks part of their view), it can be a useful tool when exploring. If your team is busy rebuffing or someone is away from the computer, run until the monk can no longer be targeted in your party window and start attacking mobs on your own. Hold your ground and shout for heals as needed. Also note that monks like to see you split off or stray away from the team as it works its way through the mission and for you to start a seperate fight because it tells us that you are taking initiative and we will finish the mission sooner. If you get into trouble, the monk will leave the rest of the team and come running to your aid, or (and this is rare), she won't and you will have to train your mobs to the rest of the team, who will be happy to help you kill them.

Fighting
Many monks foolishly believe that, just because they are your heal monkey, that this gives them some right to make tactical decisions like saying what mobs are too hard or by ordering retreats. A monk who tells her teammates to run only does so because she is a coward, blinded from the battle by staring at everyone's HP's in the party window. She doesn't have the vast tactical training nor combat experience you might have that comes from your countless hours of soloing, so it's usually best to either ignore her or do the opposite of what she says. Sometimes, at higher levels, the monk will get lazy and cast Mark of Protection on you--she does this so she has an excuse for not healing again for a while and the best solution is to continue doing whatever it is that you are doing that caused the first HH. If you get into trouble, run into away from the fight and spam "HJEEL" until the monk gets aggro from using her best heals, then when you get healed back to half life, start looting drops.

Dying
Let's face it, most monks are far less uber then you and thus their healing skills will, on occasion, fail to keep you alive. If you do die, it was because of a mistake the monk made and has nothing to do with you running ahead by yourself while the rest of your team stays behind buffing. It probably has something to do with the monk being "gay" or "a homo" (or both), so you should do your best to warn the rest of your team that the monk is "a gay homo" so they know to be careful. But, because some team members may not necessarily believe you, you must first prove your uberness by describing how long you have been playing for and then call the monk a n00b. It helps if you swear, use ALL CAPS, and misspell everything. Not only will this encourage the monk to try harder next time, but it will actually increase your chance that she'll want to team with you again. Note that if the monk dies instead of you, she always appreciates messages that say "heal!!!" as she's helplessly lying waiting for resurrection. It shows that you care, that you are paying attention, and that her heals are missed.

Thanking a monk
If a monk saves your *** after you pull more mobs than there are people on your team, the best way to thank her for keeping everyone alive is to repeat whatever actions you took that caused the dangerous fight. This complements the monk by saying 'you are so good I feel free to be totaly reckless' and it makes us feel good too.

Monk's Dictionary
When you team up with monks, you might hear them use some strange terms (such as WTF!?!) and this monk Dictionary will help you translate them.

add: This is short for 'additional monsters needed' and is used when the monster you are fighting is an easy kill and the monk/monks feels the team can handle more. When you hear this, run towards untouched mobs and pull more monsters into the fight.
afk: This common term stands for "Attack, Fight, Kill" and is the monk's way of telling you to go pull mobs.
regen: If your monk says this after a fight she means that she has fully regenerated energy, so make sure you run up to the next group of mobs and start another major fight.
puller: The team's puller has the important job of "pulling" the team into fights. Usually this is accomplished by having a ranger with the ranged bow shoot a named mob and lose half of his life in the counterattacks or by having a similarily HP drained teammate run further on the map and fire off at least three AoE skills on different groups of mobs, thereby pulling the rest of the team towards himself to save him. Note that the puller does not have to be the same person every time and it is often best if different people pull as to keep the monk guessing who will drop to 1/3 their life or get multiple hexes/conditions on theirself and make her try to figure out which puller to heal fast or protect in advance.
rez sick: When monks say they are rez sick, it means they are sick of dying and ressurecting and they want to go straight to the group of hostiles on the map that killed them the first time and start fighting. (note that this is also referred to as "DP sick").
tank: This is the person whose job it is to pull mobs to the monk.
wait: "wait" is a bit tricky. While it sounds like the word "wait," as in 'stop,' what the monk is really saying is a shortened version of "waste it all." meaning destroy everything in the area. Monks will use this if they want you to start charging the closest mobs. Also used in conjuction with regen, meaning the same thing.
WTF!?!: This means "Way To Fight" and is used to complement you on your brilliant tactical choices.

Bravo
26-05-2005, 13:17
Rofpmlmfao

PKMG StaR
26-05-2005, 13:41
Nice job =/. I was laughing the entire time I was reading it. Its sad that almost every monk has experienced everyone of these situations over and over again. Perhaps this thread should be posted in every single forum besides the monk forum =/ so that people understand what we go through.

Zuvio
26-05-2005, 13:46
Priceless, great story :)
AFK=Attack, Fight, Kill !!!! Love it

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
26-05-2005, 14:16
OMG This couldn't be more true! There is not a word of untruth in this whole document. Every Warrior (and R/Me/El who thinks he's a Tank) out there should have to read this!

Bravo :happy65:

Excuse me now, I need to go wipe away the tears of laughter.

dbchan
26-05-2005, 17:57
lol love every bit of it.

yolen
26-05-2005, 18:04
True in AO, true in Horizons, true in WoW, and true here too ;)

casserole
26-05-2005, 19:53
My favorite part;

Make sure to stay fighting the the large groups as fighting smaller ones or solitary mobs will likely cause your team to draw less aggro, which slows down the amount of experience you get and pisses off the monk.
[/I]

:D

'cause heavens knows, noone wants to piss off the monk.

Great stuff Diak

Vylae
26-05-2005, 21:29
Note that if the monk dies instead of you, she always appreciates messages that say "heal!!!" as she's helplessly lying waiting for resurrection. It shows that you care, that you are paying attention, and that her heals are missed

This brought a tear to my eye

When reading this did anyone else happen hear the voice of the guy that does the bud light radio commercials... he does a lot of commercials.

Skinner
27-05-2005, 03:14
Nice job =/. I was laughing the entire time I was reading it. Its sad that almost every monk has experienced everyone of these situations over and over again. Perhaps this thread should be posted in every single forum besides the monk forum =/ so that people understand what we go through.

It's a thankless job. I learned that quick. As I was reading that, I kept thinking to myself "Ok, who was watching me all those times". I think every single situation listed has happened to me.

BTW, here is my build:
Oracle Skinner
Mo/Me 19
Healing Breeze
Orison of Healing
Dwayna's Kiss
Heal Other
Heal Party
Reversal of Fortune
Energy Tap
Resurrect

Inspiration Magic: 7
Healing Prayers 14
Protection Prayers 5
Divine Healing 5

:happy65: :clap: :worship:

Skinner
27-05-2005, 03:16
BTW, did anyone post this in the Warriors forum? It should be mandatory reading.

Sunnmann
27-05-2005, 04:48
Very very good!

I do not ussually play a healer, but for some reason i tried a mo/r out and love it here. And i have received many compliments on how well i am doing.

But all of this reminds me of last night when I was on a mission with a ranger and an elementalist...i forgot second professions. Right away when we went out of town...the ranger stayed close and in front of me (as i like when party members do), but the elementalist ran straight out and did not stop till she had like 3-4 mobs on her. I had to repeat "Please do not run away from the team, I hate having to heal long distances!" about 4 times and she still would not stop doing it. You gotta love when people expect you to ALWAYS be there to heal them no matter what they do and if you dont, of course you will get yelled at and called names cause you dont know how to play your profession.....while trying to heal someone from half the map away.

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
27-05-2005, 17:22
This really needs to be reposted in the Community Forum. It's too good to miss.

Diak
28-05-2005, 01:23
I know it may sound harsh, but some people tend to take this seriously, aka. word-by-word. The health and well-being of thee might be endangered ;)

Rinni
28-05-2005, 01:31
OMG!!! ROFLMAO this is so true and it happened to me today whille everything that was pulled ganged up on me I was trying to keep myself from dieing and could not do anything else :( alln all only one person came to help me and one of the others was telling me I was suppose to be healing..I said " I am and I am healing myself where are you"..he was on one mob with the others while I was getting killed and of course died :(

Armagon
28-05-2005, 15:20
This brought tears of laughter to my eyes, nicely done. :happy65:

Zijupino
29-05-2005, 18:00
Absolutely true, have started the game as a monk primary and have loved it all the way and rarely thought of changing my prof.

I have met all these things, except the calling names part... till now, probably because i try to throw some1 off as soon as i recognize that he's some sort of "HERO", hehe. (Well, like they say, use their own wpns against them.)

True about the thankless job, though at times u do meet those rare fellas who really appreciate the job of the monk and who u really love playing with, and u wish that they weren't in another guild :p

Get this thread on other forums, so that every1 knows what a stressful job a monk has, especially with some peeps more than others, :p

congrats for this thread :happy14: :worship:

Mcdeath
29-05-2005, 18:53
Hmmm.

"add: This is short for 'additional monsters needed' and is used when the monster you are fighting is an easy kill and the monk/monks feels the team can handle more. When you hear this, run towards untouched mobs and pull more monsters into the fight."

Ok this made me laugh. I was with a group and a boss wandered over and joined the fight. I typed in "add" and got "wtf? like 1+1?".

omg.

Diak
30-05-2005, 00:04
Maybe an admin would be willing to move this topic into the Community Forum but myself thinks that following the example of the source would be better: making this thread a sticky (making it the first stickied thread :) ) here on the monk boards.

Prim
01-06-2005, 03:41
That was great, so much truth in those paragraphs :happy65: . Ive been in all them situations. Thankfully the people in my guild are more appreciative towards monks. W/Mo tend to be the worst type. The better you are at healing, the more monster they try and pull, thinking their a relation to superman. The only way i can seem to deal with them is to pop ther oversized ego by stop healing them and watching them drop like a sack of ****.