PDA

View Full Version : My noobish pure aeromancer build: "60 second storm"

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 08:38
I was impressed with air for its speed, damage and ability to knockdown, however air magic is a major drain on mana because it is cast so quickly. To take advantage of the fast cast i focused on mana management.

So here is my build: I mostly play in the arenas, so its mostly for self sustenence.

Air
Storage

Damagers:
Lightning Strike - 1s 5m non-projectile
Lightning Javalin - 1s 10m interrupt
Lightning Orb - 2s 15m
- with these 3 skill i can cast at a enemy non-stop dealing a consistent damage, due to low cool down and cast time. including a reasonable instant damage (LS) and two projectile.

Control:
Gale - 1s 5m knockdown (exhaustion)
- One of the greatest skill in air imo, its uses include knocking down enemy who chase our low hp member, enemy who try to run away, all of those long time cast spells, and very useful in one on one versus most class in controling their damage output. As long as the exhaustion does not make my mana less than 20 i am ok because i recover them with the enchantments.

Res Sig
- No need to explain

Enchantments:
Elemental Attune (50% mana cost)
Air Attune (30% mana cost)
Aura of restoration
- The two attunements are the basis of my mana solution, with both active i have 60 seconds of unlimited mana to continously deal out damage, AOR is a great addition to the build because with the consistent and fast casting i am able to recover about 25 hp per second. Making any non-serious damage futile.

Strength:
VS Warriors because of their low damage output and my knockdown consistently stopping their adrenaline while i recover hp, I kill most warrior with full hp + mana

VS Fire mages because of the knockdown and very high damage output they wont last till my enchantments fade

Soso:
VS Ranger A good ranger with the poison dot can rank up higher damage than my self heal and interrupts can cause me to waste mana because energy is only returned if i cast successfully, its pretty ugly.

VS Monk A good monk can last long enough so my exhaustion take me over and/or my enchantments run out, I will need about 10 second to wait for the cooldown recast all those enchantments.

Weakness:
VS Mesmers: Shatter enchantment + Backfire nuff said (I still manage to do ok cuz good mesmers are not that common and they selfom shatter my enchantments but go for the monks instead..

Any suggestions or comments?

Specifically I would like to know how does enervating charge compare to lightning javalin, is the weakness worth it for the longer cool down? what does weakness do?

Also I see many of the builds not including a signet, I would think its essencial? If I am ok to remove it what should I use?

Feynt
27-05-2005, 08:59
Weak
Description: Weak causes the target to deal less damage with both melee and projectile attacks (exact value unknown at this point). A weak character can be spotted by the white fog that encircles his/her feet.

Though the exact reduction is unknown at present, I've used it to reduce 80 damage Irresistable Blows to a mild 22 damage, so that's about a 3/4 loss of damage. Stacked with Arcane Echo, one could disable the physical side of an opposing team quite easily.

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 09:05
Though the exact reduction is unknown at present, I've used it to reduce 80 damage Irresistable Blows to a mild 22 damage, so that's about a 3/4 loss of damage. Stacked with Arcane Echo, one could disable the physical side of an opposing team quite easily.

Thanks for the info, I guess i am switching out the jav for the enervating charge for a change, also if I am not wrong Echarge is instant so no dodging ^^

um104
27-05-2005, 09:21
ok, we got some fixing to do here:
First, take out the Rez signet. you dont need it. Trust your monk. most people dont use the sig in their build because they trust theyr monks.
You can NOT cast orb, strike, and javelin/enervating one after another. There's about a second delay, and the energy you need to get back if u used too much. Gale is not as good a skill as u make it out to be. the exhaustion REALLY takes a toll. it takes 10 mana off your maximum mana, and u get it back 1 mana every 3 seconds. Its not just like used up mana. its like mana that wasnt there... so it basically means u have less mana to cast your skills with for some time. also, it knocks down the guy for 3 seconds, but does not do damage, and does not do anything else but knockdown. if you want something like that, just use Javalin, since it interupts. Whirlwind instead of Gale is better, since it knocksdown AND deals dmg to ppl around you. I see loads of people using Elemental Attunement AND Air Attunement, which i find is ok, but i find that i would rather use a different Elite Skill. Instead, try using a mesmer skill, such as channeling, energy tap, energy drain, or Mantra of _____.
If you need any help with your air build, PM me here, or in game at Derek Alemer. I'll be glad to help any Air Elementalists
Air Elementalist Extrordinare
--um104

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 09:41
First, take out the Rez signet. you dont need it. Trust your monk. most people dont use the sig in their build because they trust theyr monks.
You can NOT cast orb, strike, and javelin/enervating one after another. There's about a second delay, and the energy you need to get back if u used too much. Gale is not as good a skill as u make it out to be. the exhaustion REALLY takes a toll. it takes 10 mana off your maximum mana, and u get it back 1 mana every 3 seconds. Its not just like used up mana. its like mana that wasnt there... so it basically means u have less mana to cast your skills with for some time. also, it knocks down the guy for 3 seconds, but does not do damage, and does not do anything else but knockdown. if you want something like that, just use Javalin, since it interupts. Whirlwind instead of Gale is better, since it knocksdown AND deals dmg to ppl around you. I see loads of people using Elemental Attunement AND Air Attunement, which i find is ok, but i find that i would rather use a different Elite Skill. Instead, try using a mesmer skill, such as channeling, energy tap, energy drain, or Mantra of _____.
If you need any help with your air build, PM me here, or in game at Derek Alemer. I'll be glad to help any Air Elementalists
Air Elementalist Extrordinare
--um104

Basically with the three attacking spells I can cast them without worrying about energy at all, and ya i know the minimum delay thing and i meant cast all of them as fast as possible, so thats a good thing.

The gale exhaustion is a problem in long battles as you have said but normally exhaustion only start to affect me after my mana pool is reduced to below 20 though(because thats the most amount of mana i will use before they are given back from attunments). However I do not only want to interrupt attacking but moving as well, is water trident a good idea if I can somehow eliminate the ele attune, I personally think whurwind suck because i cant really use it to help other people without putting myself beside the enemy warriors.

Please give me some idea on which one of the mes regen spell is good if I am not to use the ele attune? thanks in advance.

TW III
27-05-2005, 09:49

So you want your monks to resurrect? You want a monk to be able not to heal for 8 seconds? Or do you want them to heal you so you don't die? People willdie in serious matches and not having res at all is a weakness. I usually leave resurrecting to the War/Mons. They aren't targeted and aren't half as important as the monks so you can fight without one of them for 8 seconds. However since this is pure Ele go Ele/Mon and use Res if you really want to resurrect.

You can NOT cast orb, strike, and javelin/enervating one after another. There's about a second delay, and the energy you need to get back if u used too much.

He'll have more than 80 energy with that build so no, he won't need to stop to get energy back. And dealing high damage as fast as possible is the point of a spike damage air ele. If you cast the spells with breaks inbetween the enemy monks have enough time to outheal the damage. That isn't the case if they suddenly lose 2/3 of their health.

Gale is not as good a skill as u make it out to be. the exhaustion REALLY takes a toll. it takes 10 mana off your maximum mana, and u get it back 1 mana every 3 seconds. Its not just like used up mana. its like mana that wasnt there... so it basically means u have less mana to cast your skills with for some time. also, it knocks down the guy for 3 seconds, but does not do damage, and does not do anything else but knockdown. if you want something like that, just use Javalin, since it interupts. Whirlwind instead of Gale is better, since it knocksdown AND deals dmg to ppl around you.

Gale is a very good skill. You'll not constantly spam it and 10 less max energy doesn't really matter if you have close to 100. It's good to knockdown the ghostly hero who is just taking the altar at HoH for example. 3 Seconds are a long time during battle,a monk can heal like 300 damage in 3 seconds, while javelin is just a basic interrupt that will only make the monk use one of his 7 other healing skills. Whirlwind is way worse. It only knocks down adjacent foes which means you have to be right in the middle of the action. Also compare it's recharge time of 20 to the 5 seconds of gale.

I see loads of people using Elemental Attunement AND Air Attunement, which i find is ok, but i find that i would rather use a different Elite Skill. Instead, try using a mesmer skill, such as channeling, energy tap, energy drain, or Mantra of _____.

And use a 3rd attribute? Rather not. Also channeling and energy tab aren't even elite and both of them won't help you with energy management as good as EA+ AA.

Aire
27-05-2005, 10:15
Personally I'd drop Aura of Restoration and go for Quickening Zephyr. It halves the recharge time of all of your skills, so you can spam EVEN faster. Also, Elemental Attunement only lasts 45 seconds, but if you get Quicky Zephyr up you can cast it without any problems. The energy cost will be absorbed by the Ele + Air attunement

Just as a warning, you need 15 energy to cast an Orb, but you'll get 12 back afterwards

/Aire :)

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 10:17
Personally I'd drop Aura of Restoration and go for Quickening Zephyr. It halves the recharge time of all of your skills, so you can spam EVEN faster. Also, Elemental Attunement only lasts 45 seconds, but if you get Quicky Zephyr up you can cast it without any problems. The energy cost will be absorbed by the Ele + Air attunement

Just as a warning, you need 15 energy to cast an Orb, but you'll get 12 back afterwards

/Aire :)

My second prof is Mes... but ya Quickening Zepher sounds like a goodspell as it almost double my efficiency, since i dont care about mana at all.. May be I will make a pvp char to use it. The problem is however in arenas most monk are idiots and unable to heal me, without the restoration i will have trouble in a one on one situation as warriors have more hp than me. Guess its a trade-off between defense and offense and i could swap those two build depend on my team is random or arranged. (or should I get a ranger to cast it for me if its arranged team)

The 15/12 thing is ok remeber in the 2 second that u cast it u still regen mana so mana is gone very very very slowly.

Diceclock
27-05-2005, 16:20
Nice frontload but after about 60 seconds you wouldn't be of all that much use to your team with the exhaustion you'd wrack up. I aggree, drop the Rez Sig. I'm of the belief that if you have a real rez, always bring it, but not the 1 timers.

I found the same issue with Gale as the other poster. It only delay's the inevitable. I spent one fight Gale'ing this one Warrior. Must have hit him 10 times with it, while running back and forth. Didn't work. I'd only use Gale if you have a specific Knockdown fight plan, like combining it with Aftershock or the like.

A character like this would be good for a counter-attack. Don't engage in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Then while your team is targeting one guy, you throw your hella damage at another. Healer won't be able to keep both alive, and you'll take at least one guy down. Otherwise you'll probably waste your power-punching on a guy who'd have gone down anyway.

P.S. See GWOnline Net people, I'm helpful and polite most of the time.

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 18:58
doubleposted - removed one

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 19:05
Nice frontload but after about 60 seconds you wouldn't be of all that much use to your team with the exhaustion you'd wrack up. I aggree, drop the Rez Sig. I'm of the belief that if you have a real rez, always bring it, but not the 1 timers.

I found the same issue with Gale as the other poster. It only delay's the inevitable. I spent one fight Gale'ing this one Warrior. Must have hit him 10 times with it, while running back and forth. Didn't work. I'd only use Gale if you have a specific Knockdown fight plan, like combining it with Aftershock or the like.

A character like this would be good for a counter-attack. Don't engage in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Then while your team is targeting one guy, you throw your hella damage at another. Healer won't be able to keep both alive, and you'll take at least one guy down. Otherwise you'll probably waste your power-punching on a guy who'd have gone down anyway.

P.S. See GWOnline Net people, I'm helpful and polite most of the time.

After 60 second i would have a big cooldown of about 10 second before all my enchant is up so if thee are things who lock into me i would run into trouble, but the exhaustion is ok because i dont really use it non-stop. Also with warriors who attack me i dont even bother with it because I am able to defeat most warrior in melee combat without running at all and with full hp + mana (AOR 20hp/sec + forcing them to heal and stop attacking).

My gale plan is mostly when they are chasing our monk or low hp member, or when they are running from our warrior, or if i am faced with a really damaging opponent(another mage), so i normally only have to stop using it only after about 9 - 10 minute(for arenas the battle is long finished), if you think about it many other interrupts have a 20 second cooldown and exhaustion is really a 30 second "flexible" cooldown you can decide for urself when u need it.

You mentioned the counter-attacker and I think thats a good idea *thanks*, what I will start to do is to start the enchants just before the combat is happening rather than after the match start, so i wont waste any of the 60 second of action time.

If I were to drop sig, what skill should i drop in? acane echo?

jvxmtg
27-05-2005, 20:21
I want you to consider these combos:

1) Shardstorm + Lightning Touch
2) Iron Mist + Shock
3) Enervating Charge + Stoning
4) Shock + Aftershock (get the pun? it comes after-Shock)

Warning:
Using #4 will paint a bull's eye on your back.

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 20:39
I want you to consider these combos:

1) Shardstorm + Lightning Touch
2) Iron Mist + Shock
3) Enervating Charge + Stoning
4) Shock + Aftershock (get the pun? it comes after-Shock)

Warning:
Using #4 will paint a bull's eye on your back.

Those take longer to cast so i wont generate the hp and mana as efficiently, also those will require a third stat which is the last thing i want to do, but some of those combo especially 3 or 4 would be good for a earth build I am designing so thank you non-the-less ^^

Personally I avoid using all touch/body-burst attacks

jvxmtg
27-05-2005, 21:09
Those combos are not intended to be in one build. :/

I personally use #4 in my E/R build.

You need to keep in mind the cost of the spell and the damage output, speed casting is not really the best way to do it. More than often, you'll need long activation time since you can recharge your Energy while casting.

Shock is an Elementalist's best friend, low cost, fast casting, and knockdown. If comboed with Aftershock, you can dish-out upto 186 dmg (with max Air and Earth Magic). With the help of Glyph of Elemental Power, your Aftershock can be devestating dealing upto 200+ dmg using no morethan 20 energy.

Always ask yourself, is paying 5en worth 41dmg (Lightning Strike) or is it worth 50dmg+knockdown (Shock)? Or how much does 5en worth for you? How much is 10en worth?

As an Elementalist, the element specific Attunements are waste of energy and skill spot IMHO except for Elemental Attunement.

Keep in mind that it's not about how fast you can cast, rather how effective each cast were.

AlucardInsig
27-05-2005, 22:01
Those combos are not intended to be in one build. :/

I personally use #4 in my E/R build.

You need to keep in mind the cost of the spell and the damage output, speed casting is not really the best way to do it. More than often, you'll need long activation time since you can recharge your Energy while casting.

Shock is an Elementalist's best friend, low cost, fast casting, and knockdown. If comboed with Aftershock, you can dish-out upto 186 dmg (with max Air and Earth Magic). With the help of Glyph of Elemental Power, your Aftershock can be devestating dealing upto 200+ dmg using no morethan 20 energy.

Always ask yourself, is paying 5en worth 41dmg (Lightning Strike) or is it worth 50dmg+knockdown (Shock)? Or how much does 5en worth for you? How much is 10en worth?

As an Elementalist, the element specific Attunements are waste of energy and skill spot IMHO except for Elemental Attunement.

Keep in mind that it's not about how fast you can cast, rather how effective each cast were.

With this build I have unlimited energy, thats the whole point of this build ^^
so my only concern is damage/time

ArnisArora
27-05-2005, 22:42
I disagree with removing rez sig. Everytime I've been in an arena, everybody yells "target the monks!" Shockingly, monks do die, and if nobody has rez sig, what then? Pray you don't need him.
And if you're the last person standing..well..you're not exactaly a tank, and you're about to get hit a lot. If you have the sig, you could raise someone so when you die, you don't lose automatically.
That's just my 2 cents though.

TW III
28-05-2005, 11:41
I disagree with removing rez sig. Everytime I've been in an arena, everybody yells "target the monks!" Shockingly, monks do die, and if nobody has rez sig, what then? Pray you don't need him.
And if you're the last person standing..well..you're not exactaly a tank, and you're about to get hit a lot. If you have the sig, you could raise someone so when you die, you don't lose automatically.

Arena is crap.

Feynt
28-05-2005, 22:39
Actually Vengence is slowly becoming a more acceptable res spell for PvP because it can get a tank or an elemenalist back on it's feet a lot quicker than Resurrect. True, the 30 second thing can be limiting, but sometimes it balances out, especially if you're putting a high damage elementalist back in the game with full energy (and as we all know, no elementalist dies at full energy).

this_barb
29-05-2005, 10:08
Which is better, Elemental Attunement or Ether Prodigy?

Also, in any team build its ALWAYS good to have atleast 1 W/Mo with Resurrect or Restore Life (yes yes, I know how played out they are) because of 3 reasons:

1. Higher armor means higher durability.
2. Tanks are the least targeted of any character
3. Monks are usually in trouble 99% of the time, therefore it gives the Monk less responsibility to resurrect a fallen foe while hes getting beat on.

Feynt
29-05-2005, 11:48
Actually W/Mo's with Rebirth or Resurrect, not Restore Life. Rebirth because usually people abandon or ignore tanks so where ever they are is pretty safe, and a warrior has a paultry amount of energy to begin with (so who cares if it all suddenly vanishes?). Resurrect, well, it's a classic and it works as the other ranged variety of reviving fallen commrades.

I'd go with Ether Prodigy, the high energy regen would be well worth the trouble of taking damage after it's over (if you can't spend it fast enough for some odd reason).

AlucardInsig
30-05-2005, 00:19
I played at the tomb today and I found that dropping sig and put on another damager is the way to go at tombs.

In 4o4 arena it is still good to have a sig