PDA

View Full Version : M/E or E/M for my needs?

Julian dono
28-05-2005, 03:03
Hello everyone. I watched this forum for a while, but nobody seemed to be in
quite the same position as me (Diversity is this game's strong point).

I haven't played much, I spent an hour on my friend's account, with a new char.

I'm looking to have mesmer and elementalist skills, but there are questions in my mind:
First, one of these is my primary. So is energy storage better than Fast casting? I am guessing that fast cast would let me unleash an onslaught of spells, running me out of energy quickly, but you don't seem to get energy with levels, and that means I won't have enough energy to make use of fast casting the game's more powerful spells. Looks like energy sotrage would allow me a slower, yet continous stream of damage, while leaving me energy and time on the side to mess up my opponent with mesmer skills.

The role I plan to fill was originally going to be damaging. I plan on partying with a Ranger/Warrior. It looks, however, like a little effort in mesmer could
turn me into a well-balanced maiming/raping machine. However, I need to know if Area of Effect spells (Fire maxed) would be a good way to go.

I don't really plan on relying on monks/warriors, by the way, seeing as already they seem to be in high demand. I'm thinking a guild of mesmers, necromancers, and then a small diversity of the others could lead to some good times.

Please leave comments on all of my plans, so I don't mess up too badly.
Thanks!

Illusionists
28-05-2005, 03:58
Hello everyone. I watched this forum for a while, but nobody seemed to be in
quite the same position as me (Diversity is this game's strong point).

I haven't played much, I spent an hour on my friend's account, with a new char.

I'm looking to have mesmer and elementalist skills, but there are questions in my mind:
First, one of these is my primary. So is energy storage better than Fast casting? I am guessing that fast cast would let me unleash an onslaught of spells, running me out of energy quickly, but you don't seem to get energy with levels, and that means I won't have enough energy to make use of fast casting the game's more powerful spells. Looks like energy sotrage would allow me a slower, yet continous stream of damage, while leaving me energy and time on the side to mess up my opponent with mesmer skills.

The role I plan to fill was originally going to be damaging. I plan on partying with a Ranger/Warrior. It looks, however, like a little effort in mesmer could
turn me into a well-balanced maiming/raping machine. However, I need to know if Area of Effect spells (Fire maxed) would be a good way to go.

I don't really plan on relying on monks/warriors, by the way, seeing as already they seem to be in high demand. I'm thinking a guild of mesmers, necromancers, and then a small diversity of the others could lead to some good times.

Please leave comments on all of my plans, so I don't mess up too badly.
Thanks!

I play E/Me and Me/E, I guess I can tell you a few things (if you don't like to read, just skip to the last part):

1. Energy Storage: Energy Storage gives you 3 max mana per rank. This is the best and the worst skill. Elementalists have lots of skills that requires long casting time and long cooldown after. Sometimes you feel like a power-house who cannot unleash all your fury (in PvE). In PvP it's the opposite. You will use all your mana and hopefully do considerable damage: your energy regeneration does not change with Energy Storage, so once your energy you carried with you is gone, you are just as useless as any other caster classes without mana. Energy Storage is designed for Elementalists for there are skills which causes Exhaustion, and some 25 energy spells. Without fast casting your biggest problem is that you are very weak against interruption spells, which is deadly to you when you spent energy, went into cooldown, and your spell didn't come out.
2. Fast Casting: Fast casting gives roughly 3% faster cast per rank. This is useful in the sense that Domination Magic requires timing, and the faster you can use Backfire, the better (before your foe could cast his first spell, for instance). It works with Mesmer spells very well. However, when it comes to a Mesmer using Elementalist's spells, there is another story. Due to high energy cost and exhaustion, you will really have a hard time on energy. When you get spells such as Thunderclap, Mindshock/burn/freeze, and any other exhaustion spells, you will find them extremely non-useable because your energy pool is simply too valuable to toss away like Elementalists. Luckily, most Mesmer spells are kind on energy, and do not require a lot of recast.
3. The final note is on Inspiration Magic, which regenerates energy mostly. Personally I think it works with fast cast better, because... for example energy tap takes 2 seconds to cast. It's really NOT worth it for an elementalist to cast, but worthwhile for mesmer with high fast casting.

I believe the game designers were very wise on Energy Storage and Fast Casting. Energy Storage helps Elementalists better while Fast Casting helps Mesmer better. So your primary profession should reflect the school of magic you are primarily using.

Nobleman Azure
28-05-2005, 06:02
agreeing with the post above, if you are going for damaging, go for elementalist primary with energy storage, employing Air for single target devastation, Fire for area effect powerhouse, Earth for defensive build, and Water for effect over damage type of spells.

Mesmer spells leans more to dillemma-making and shut downs than nuking.