1. Backfire
2. Interrupt of your choice
3. Ether Lord
4. Energy Drain
5. Energy Tap
6. Mind Wrack
7. Ether Feast
8. Spirit Shackles

It's extremely easy to beat a mesmer-based mirror if you know how AI works. To make a long story short it recognizes that Backfire is the best bet for killing you off and will almost always lead off with it. Here's the process you use to beat it.

Go into the battle with your trigger finger on your interrupt. As soon as he gets into range he'll start casting backfire, and at that point all you have to do is interrupt. Then use Energy Drain and Energy Tap. Chances are he'll use his interrupt on your energy tap, making him susceptible to the next bit.

Put Spirit Shackles on him and then cast Ether Lord. Keep using those two as necessary, and once you notice he's stopped casting spells start putting mind wrack on him. With it pumped up all the way mine does 100 damage a cast and you can cast it every few seconds. Just keep your mirror starved and keep wracking him and he's toast.

Coincidentally, this is almost the same build I use against monks in PVP :0)

Let me know what you think.

Nobleman Azure
30-05-2005, 02:31
it works, but i just simply load on these spells

1. Hex breaker
2. Imagined Burden
3. Ressurection Signet
4. Signet of capture
5. 6. 7. 8.
4 other stuff that do not really do anything, load up on resses if you're part monk. Nature rituals if you're part ranger, a buncha stances if you're warrior etc.

At the beginning of the match use hex breaker, then he will spend his time trying to cast imagined burden on you which has a pretty lengthy cast time and will be doing nothing as you attack him. Of course the hex fails because of hex breaker and he takes damage, you then recast hex breaker and keep attacking him, soon enough hell try casting it again and will get hurt. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Irving
30-05-2005, 16:11
I have Me/Mo and just use the monk so i can take rez really, but for the mirror, as id done it before as a primary monk I took all monk skills, pacifism... then buff yourself... then just lay on the monk smiting prayers but make sure you dont have any healing prayers, the match is so quick, lasted about 14 seconds

echidna
30-05-2005, 22:36
Guys please, its so much easier than that. You can beat your mirror with a mere 3 skills in about 7 seconds. (assuming you have a high illusion skill)

take off everything, and add illusion of weakness, conjure phantasm, and phantom pain.

walk into the battle cast conjure phantasm and then phantom pain, then DO NOT ATTACK. your mirror will cast illusion of weakness right at the beginning, and as long as you deal no damage to him illusion of weakness will not trigger. This means that he looses 2/3 of his health at the start, while you loose none, then its just a race with the -7 health degen from the other two spells, a race in which you have a huge head start.

We mesmers got lucky on the mirror battle thats for sure :happy14:

ultimastrike
30-05-2005, 22:48
I feel that filling your bar with useless skills is sort of a cheap way to get past the mirror. If you aren't skilled enough to defeat yourself on fair terms, you don't deserve to ascend :P

Gwyndion
30-05-2005, 22:53
I kind of agree, okay, if you have been trying for a long time but just to do it as fast as possible....

echidna
30-05-2005, 23:21
Thing is though, its never fair terms, since your mirror has better armour and more hp than you to begin with.

Gwyndion
30-05-2005, 23:43
How would he have more hp and better armour then you? Isn't he just clone of you? Don't say any spoilers, since i just became a member of the white capes or so, though its kinda eassy to see somethings fishy is going on

echidna
31-05-2005, 01:17
How would he have more hp and better armour then you? Isn't he just clone of you? Don't say any spoilers, since i just became a member of the white capes or so, though its kinda eassy to see somethings fishy is going on

Well this is not exactly proven, but from what i hear from my guild leader who playerd hardcore since the first beta, only his skills mirror yours. This is backed up since when i fought him with the 227hp "head start" it was still a very close match. Since our only offensive spells were conjure phantasm and phantom pain we both had 7 pips of health degen, this indicates that i had to burn through more of his hp then he did mine.

NilePenguin
31-05-2005, 01:37
Why so difficult?

Backfire, Wastrel's Worry, don't take any interrupts. If you backfire before he does, then follow up with a wastrel's, you're set. Killed him in under 10 seconds. :D

Mayella
31-05-2005, 02:12
I feel that filling your bar with useless skills is sort of a cheap way to get past the mirror. If you aren't skilled enough to defeat yourself on fair terms, you don't deserve to ascend :P

Well, that's a bit of a problem with the mirror. It isn't 'fair terms'. Your mirror has the best armour and the best weapon available.
The whole 'beat your mirror' thing is basically nothing more than 'beat the AI' in my opinion.

Sir Maddox
31-05-2005, 04:00
I've come to the conclusion that it's not a mirror at all. It doesn't look like me, it doesn't use my weapon, hell, it's basically a Ranger/Warrior who uses Mesmer skills. I've tried every strategy I could find and/or think up, and what it comes down to is that his bow still rapes me for damage and by the time I get any sort of strategy going, I'm dead. I'm really, really, frustrated and unsure where to turn. I've tried strafing, but I can't do it well enough to have it be effective. It doesn't help that he'll usually only cast one of the spells out of the 2 - 5 in my skill bar and just proceed to attack me, considering he knows his damage is massive.

Nern
31-05-2005, 06:42
just ascended today, heres what i did

have your finger on backfire and as soon as it loads press tab+backfire
that brought him to half health, use energy burn and empathy on him as well, and ether feast everytime it charges. use ether lord when ur energy is low and energy burn him to death. Took me about four trys but it worked without being cheap.
But yeah I think they totally screwed up by having the mirrior:
1. not look like you
2. better armor
3. chaos axe/good bow
4. different health/energy
5. doing 50 dmg a hit

Sir Maddox
31-05-2005, 08:10
Well, I finally beat him. The answer was pretty simple. I was thinking too hard about it. He was hitting me for too much, plain and simple. Thus, I went out and finally upgraded my armor to the Lvl 20 set. He was dead the very next time I tried. I'm sure I could've used most strategies too, it was just a matter of lasting long enough to employ them.

Lebeau
31-05-2005, 13:57
Everyone seems to always complicate the Mirror battle.

I killed my mirror with Empathy and dodging. It was just that easy.

ICEwsc
31-05-2005, 15:28
Ive only used Empathy in my skillbar.

cast empathy on the mirror and dodge his arrows with Q and E, the mirror will dodge himself to dead :)

Gwyndion
31-05-2005, 18:04
Ive only used Empathy in my skillbar.

cast empathy on the mirror and dodge his arrows with Q and E, the mirror will dodge himself to dead :)

You can dodge? How please? Also, for armour, whats the best you can do, noble armour or so with the rest of the enchanters set? I dont know the rates, but isn't it like body 3/8 to be hit, legs 2/8 to be hit, hands, head, shoes 1/8 to be hit?SO it seems bnest to just have a high armpur body armours, and the rets of the enchanters set for more energy

ICEwsc
31-05-2005, 18:31
dodge with pressing Q and E...

dont attack him but cast empathy when your mirror is casting it too

Sir Maddox
02-06-2005, 00:23
I tried Empathy/Dodging, but, I wasn't really good at dodging whatsoever. Any armor set will have the same "Armour value" it's just about getting the most recent set you can. Once I upped my Armour set, every strategy except the dodging on worked just fine. Before I had the armour, I died way too quickly. (I was using Lvl 15 Armor before I switched to 20)

Nobleman Azure
02-06-2005, 06:55
strafing is your friend. Projectiles are easily dodged except for those shot by a sort bow or powered with some "arrow flies faster" skills.

Stare at your opponents animation, when they are about to fire, quickly change directions on your strafe and it will miss.

Jai Hind
03-07-2005, 01:05
for some reason i cant kill him at all
& im gettin frustrated now

Me/E

i tried bunch of various combo's but he's arrows kept killing me, wasnt able to dodge them properly

DallasTX
07-07-2005, 23:05
I'm wondering if this area has recently changed as the other posts are from back a month or more. I had the same result last night a couple days ago and just got fed up with it and quit for the night. His bow was doing 30+ damage and if god forbid he close enough to use his sword, that could hit me for 70+.

My next step is to go try getting better armor and a couple additional skills to try again. I think my armor is currently +51 or something like that. I'm going to try the hex breaker with distractions I think.

DallasTX

Samuel
08-07-2005, 02:36
for some reason i cant kill him at all
& im gettin frustrated now

Me/E

i tried bunch of various combo's but he's arrows kept killing me, wasnt able to dodge them properly
Easiest thing to kill. Use backfire on him. Your skill bar = ONLY: backfire , Flare.

Basicly he flares himself to death.

Ankeli
09-07-2005, 02:21
i went with wastrel's worry and shatter hex (my dom magic was 16 at the time so shatter hex did quit a bit of damage)

Deja Vu
19-07-2005, 05:42
Well after 10 or more tries i finaly beat it...the mirror...I only used 3 mesmer skills.
1. Empathy
2. Backfire
3. Distortion

now cast Distortion ...only cost 5 energy...and the enemy arrows will magicaly miss you...then cast empathy and backfire and just run around casting Distortion and the mirror will be done for.

Vao Naian
19-07-2005, 06:31
One thing I noticed about the mesmer mirror compared to the other mirrors, is that he doesn't use his primary attribute at all. I had 10 fast cast when I fought my mirror, I cast backfire twice as fast as he did.

I was a mesmer necromancer with no attributes in necromancer, all I carried was backfire and dark pact. I cast backfire as soon as we entered the battle, mine finished about a second before his when we cast it at the same time. It was sorta wierd... Then he cast dark pact, dealing 50 damage to me(level zero is 10 damage, he had more death magic than I did) and 200 damage to himself. It was sorta sad. He dropped in 15 seconds.

TabasaMeow
19-07-2005, 22:50
Well I tried it the first time with all my skills and he dusted me in seconds.

I tried again with just Empathy but still lost.

I tried one more time with Empathy and Backfire just now and I dusted him in seconds. Got the bonus too :D It's very satisfying.

Just cast backfire as soon as you get in there and then empathy. Then run and avoid his arrows. Another backfire and he's toast.

SirSyrath
19-07-2005, 23:28
Go in with illusion of weakness on.

Cast Fragility, phantom pain, shatter illusions, virulence. Finish the fight in less than 10.

Sir Syrath

Latbec
20-07-2005, 03:27
I've beaten him with chaos storm - phantom pain - shatter delusions but it took around 40 seconds :P

Benkus
20-07-2005, 11:42
I used arcane conodrum... (that one that makes him cast slower)
(mes ele) Then finished him off in 9 seconds....