PDA

View Full Version : Mesmers - horrible?

Izzy
31-05-2005, 00:07
I was getting bored with my warrior so I decided to try something new. I don't like the idea of being the healer, and there are too many elementalists and necromancers running around, so I figured I'd try a mesmer. Initially, I was impressed. Right off the bat I got a lot of fun/useful spells; conjure phantasm, chaos storm, empathy. I got my mesmer to Yaks Bend where I started getting more new skills, and realized that a lot of them are rather useless.

It seems to me too many of the mesmer skills are circumstantial, and not practical enough to justify putting in our skill bar. Example, the Mantra of (element) line of skills. Does anyone really use these? How often can you depend on the fact that you'll be running into an enemy casting fire magic, or water magic, or whatever. Even when you DO come across one, the skill in itself doesn't appear to be that useful. Another skill, distortion. For 5 seconds, you have a 75% chance of evading attacks, but whenever you do you lose x energy. As a caster, we shouldn't be getting attacked in the first place. Though it's unavoidable that we will, five seconds isn't going to necessarily save your life.

Now I'm still early in the game with this mesmer, and I know there will be plenty more skills, but I looked through a guide and didn't see much that impressed me. Is there much use for mesmers later in the game? How do they fare in PvP? In PvE, they almost seem like dead weight, which makes me not want to play the character anymore. I'm hoping I can find some experienced mesmers here that can convince me that this character is still worth playing.

Bonehead632
31-05-2005, 00:23
They are good farther into the game and happen to be very good at shutting down casters if used properly.

jamesmackswell
31-05-2005, 00:52
You are right, mesmers do kind of suck as a primary proffession in PvM. However, as a secondary profession in PvP, they are awesome. The damage reduction from the Mantra skills is pretty good if you know ahead of time that you will be facing an enemy with heavy fire damage, etc. It's not like you would ever waste skill slots with all the Mantra skills.

Soon I'm planning to make an elementalist/mesmer, maxing out energy storage and using mana steal spells to keep my mana pool full.

Goober1337
31-05-2005, 04:55
Soon I'm planning to make an elementalist/mesmer, maxing out energy storage and using mana steal spells to keep my mana pool full.

There's a nice combo in there for [very early] healing: Aura Of Resoration (Heal when you cast a spell) + Either Feast (Steal Energy and convert to Health)

with out training, its ~ 18 + 40 : Quick save on the first couple levels.. considering you dont have to spend any extra points.

I've only seen this--never actualy tried it, so give it a shot.

Seoul ja
31-05-2005, 06:54
A lot of shutdown mesmer skills take awhile to cast, so its a hassle without the primary Fast Casting. Mesmers aren't so much needed in PvE, but definitely a intense role to use in PvP.

Tokosan
31-05-2005, 07:49
Dude, the best skill is backfire, which totally ruins any enemy spellcaster. Start with that, then continue with mana draning spells, followed by damage spells. Rinse and repeat. They are much better in a support role, slowing down warriors, killing mages... I like mesmer better as a second class, just because of the mana stealing abilities. Works great with elementalist...

odinravenblood
31-05-2005, 08:15
I made a mesmer in PvP and it seemed pretty useless, it had no really good offensiive spells, but i managed to keep myself alive for abit with etherfest.

REI ONRYOU
31-05-2005, 11:00
Mesmer is a SUPPORT role. It's also the most advanced and hardest class to play in the game. You're not there to deal damage, you're there to stop the other team doing anything. It's possible to play them in PvE or PvP, it just takes lots of thought and patience to make one work.

Dogmeat
31-05-2005, 12:56
mesmers arent really any more difficult to use than other classes, its just that their usage isnt as immediately obvious as elementalists or monks. People who simplify the game into warriors being meatshields, monks being just for healing and elementalists being the firepower are always going to struggle with a class that is best suited for a backseat support/shutdown role.

There's nothing particularly difficult about using them. Its just most people want to sit back hurling fireballs whereas mesmers are just not designed for that kind of work. Its much like creating a W/Mo to be a primary healer and then deciding they are a useless class due to the difficultly of doing that.

Lebeau
31-05-2005, 13:04
Another skill, distortion. For 5 seconds, you have a 75% chance of evading attacks, but whenever you do you lose x energy. As a caster, we shouldn't be getting attacked in the first place. Though it's unavoidable that we will, five seconds isn't going to necessarily save your life.

-The duration is equal to the recast so it can be kept on indefinately.
-It's a stance so it is instacast and can be activated while running.
-With a decent illusion attribute it only drains 1 energy per hit, but you regen 1.3 energy a second.

It is THE best mesmer damage mitigation skill in the entire set.

Blauer Morgengrau
31-05-2005, 16:20
Mesmers get better as the game goes on, for PvE. Their damage skills negate armor... so its damage ability isn't that impressive at the beginning, but as other classes start to get their damage decreased by foes, mesmer doesnt.

Since I'm assuming you are talking about PvE... put your points into domination and illusion. inspiration is basically useless against enemies.. because most skills drain mana, and enemies have infinite mana.

some good skills are pantom pain.. conjure phantasm, and chaos storm. then bring some support skills to interrupt healers, or to drain some mana back.

That should help you kill stuff.

BipolarTemp
31-05-2005, 21:10
Since I'm assuming you are talking about PvE... put your points into domination and illusion. inspiration is basically useless against enemies.. because most skills drain mana, and enemies have infinite mana..

I'm pretty sure enemies don't have infinite mana. I was fighting a Ranger boss with my Mesmer and over the course of the battle I was using a lot of energy burn, energy tap, and ether feast and there was a time at which ether feast was not healing for it's full value. I was not at maximum health so the only explanation for this is that the boss was out of energy.

Hntar Undreno
01-06-2005, 00:28
yeah im not sure how mesmers are "hard" to play or "innefective" early on.. i got through the first 1/3 of the game faster and easier with my mesmer than with my warrior or necro.. and frankly he seems stronger at L11 than my necro did at L14 or L15.. but say what you wish.

My Me/R11's build currently..

Domination Magic - 7 (boosted by 1)
Inspiration Magic - 4 (boosted by 1)
Marksmanship - 7

1. Empathy (for bashers/shooters obviously)
2. Ether Feast (steals a lil energy and gets me lotsa health)
3. Backfire (for the casters)
4. Shatter Delusions (cast empathy/backfire on enemy foe.. when they get low on health, use this to finish them off.. )
5. Chaos Storm (this spot is not nailed down yet.. it's a nice spell but im not sure if i will keep it on)
6. Energy Tap (steal some energy from enemy for yourself :D)
7. Favorable Winds (not a terribly long casting time and cheap.. it's one preparation-type you can actually cast just after the battle has broken out.. and once i get to a higher level and am able to spend some points on Fast Casting that 5 seconds will be reduced a good bit)
8. Energy Burn (steals some energy from the enemy, and does 8 damage for each energy point stolen.. my raw damage spell)

You have to pick where you cast empathy/backfire and others at points.. since they do each have a bit of a cooldown time. For instance, try to cast backfire only on casters that are at or near full health, rather than on one that already is at half health.. cuz a) it takes 2 seconds to cast b) you want to maximize it's effect since you have to wait another 20 seconds to use it. Empathy is the same way, but to a lesser extent. 1 Second casting time and 10 second cooldown. But with the hex spell/shatter delusions combo and energy burn I really have 2 direct dmg spells for all practical purposes. And the great thing is, you can cast backfire on a caster and then ignore him and attack somebody else for a while.. then come back to him and he'll likely either be dead or at 1/5 health. If I have the spirit of favorable winds summoned, I can be sitting there (away from the fray, too) casting my spells.. and in between the spells doing 20-25 dmg a shot at the very least. Of course stealing a good bow from my L20 character helps there.. lol

Nothin too complex.. some fairly obvious strategies there. In fact Im pretty sure some other people could come up with some more effective ones that would rape even more hardcore than my guy does.

oh yeah and whoever said enemies have infinite energy is wrong. Even if they did, inspiration magic would still be very useful.. you can get your energy from 5 to 20 quite quickly with a couple spells..

Butterat
02-06-2005, 02:58
The very first character i built was a mesmer/necro, and i think i prefer her to any other character i've made so far. The was i play, i have my illusion magic at 12, death magic at 12, and fast casting at 7, or something close to that.

My skills bar is pretty well rounded, too. For mesmer skills, i use conjure phantasm (health degen of 5), crippling anguish (elite) (slow and health degen of 3), distortion, and illusion of weakness (pay 202 hp now, get 202 hp when your health dips below 25%). For necro skills, i use animate bone horror (creates lvl 13 zombie slave), well of suffering (health degen of 4 for all enemies in area), and soul feast (eat a corpse to gain 234 hp), then the last slot if reserve for a capture signet.

The way this works, is i cast illusion of weakness at the very beginning of every mission. It effectively adds over 200 to my max hp.

In battle, because of distortion, i'm really good at luring enemies away from groups. Cast distortion, run in and hit something with conjure phantasm, run to the back of the group. Then, as the monster is walking towards us, it's losing 10 hp/second the whole time. Once we get into melee range, i throw on crippling anguish until that first target dies (which doesn't take long with health degen 8 and slow moving) and then i cast well of suffering on the corpse, giving every other enemy that rushed in with it heath degen 4.

Then, i pick a new target, stack life-drainers until it dies, animate its corpse as a zombie slave and move around the mob until i win.

Now, the worst enemy of a mesmer is another mesmer, so i target those first, mainly because i can hurt them just as quickly as they can hurt me. Then healers, warriors that like to chase me, and finally others.

Since most of my skills only cost 5 or 10 energy, i'm usually good for the first 60-90 seconds of battle, which is when the most damage occurs anyway, then i just start attacking a little to let my energy build up some and i'm good to go again until the battle is pretty much over.

I see lost of potential for other mesmer builds, particularly along with necro (doesn't matter which is primary), it's just mostly a matter of specializing in the primary attribute, one mesmer attribute, and one other prof. attribute that complement each other well. In fact, you do that with any two professions, an you'll have yourself a pretty solid build.

Maybe you just need to go a little further into the game with your mesmer, but they certainly do not suck.

Hope this helps.

BZ.

stilted
02-06-2005, 10:27
I was getting bored with my warrior so I decided to try something new. I don't like the idea of being the healer, and there are too many elementalists and necromancers running around, so I figured I'd try a mesmer. Initially, I was impressed. Right off the bat I got a lot of fun/useful spells; conjure phantasm, chaos storm, empathy. I got my mesmer to Yaks Bend where I started getting more new skills, and realized that a lot of them are rather useless.

It seems to me too many of the mesmer skills are circumstantial, and not practical enough to justify putting in our skill bar. Example, the Mantra of (element) line of skills. Does anyone really use these? How often can you depend on the fact that you'll be running into an enemy casting fire magic, or water magic, or whatever. Even when you DO come across one, the skill in itself doesn't appear to be that useful. Another skill, distortion. For 5 seconds, you have a 75% chance of evading attacks, but whenever you do you lose x energy. As a caster, we shouldn't be getting attacked in the first place. Though it's unavoidable that we will, five seconds isn't going to necessarily save your life.

Now I'm still early in the game with this mesmer, and I know there will be plenty more skills, but I looked through a guide and didn't see much that impressed me. Is there much use for mesmers later in the game? How do they fare in PvP? In PvE, they almost seem like dead weight, which makes me not want to play the character anymore. I'm hoping I can find some experienced mesmers here that can convince me that this character is still worth playing.

heh

once you go to the dessert area, you'll notice that the difficulty there is much higher than when you're fighting the white mantles....wanna know why :)?

the white mantles comprises of mostly eles/healer monks/sword warriors...that should tell you something ;)

also when people farm, which ones do they usually farm :)? i don't think there's a good mesmer farming place for obvious reasons ;)

Tsume
03-06-2005, 10:12
Let me just start off by clarifying what some others have already revealed....

There is a reason that Guild Wars displays a message when you choose Mesmer as your primary profession. That message tells you that the Mesmer requires advanced tactics and is probably not the best character for a new player.

Now with that said, I'll try and dive into and dissect your situation Izzy, but please dont cast aside the Mesmer profession or any skills becuase you cannot immediatley see their use for them. I swear to you that the phrase 'useless skill' has never crossed my mind.

It seems to me too many of the mesmer skills are circumstantial, and not practical enough to justify putting in our skill bar.
Izzy you are right, many of the skills in Guild Wars are circumstantial. Infact, I'd be willing to say what skill isnt? The skills you use should vary from circumstance to circumstance...or else you will be roadblocked by some circumstance you cannot get past. Take for instance all attack skills, such as Power Shot or Galrath Slash. In the Circumstance that the target has a stance or other method of evading the attack, does the one time you miss merit a dismissal of the skill as circumstantial? After all it doesnt work all the time, but only within certain circumstances.

With that explained I will site some of your examples. For instance the Mantras. Whoah man....you've insulted my mantras! :P Think about this...if you are facing Charr, Hydra, Fire Imps and the like...you know your against Fire Magic.....if you are facing Ice Golems or Ice Imps you know your against cold....out in the desert with earth wielding griffons? The point being...areas generally have the same elements to them, with some slight variations such as bosses. Taking along the according Mantra is allways a wise decision, as you will be hit by that damage a lot during the time frame, and I find that the energy I use to cast the stance is usually balanced out with the energy I regen, and the damage reduction.
As for Distortion, well a skill that gives you 75% evasion is extremely useful. I will gladly sacrifice one energy to keep 20+ damage a swing off of me. That 1 energy might turn into 5, and that 5 energy might save me from 100 damage, which will save my healer ally energy, save me energy from useing Ether Feast too much, etc.

A common tactic I have used in later missions is to spam 2+ mellee targets with Spirit of Failure and then use Distortion constantly. Why dont you try this combo...Spirit of Failure + Evasion = Constant Energy gain on target, while also keeping him from damageing you. Spirit on 2 targets should make upkeep of Distortion a breeze.

As a caster, we shouldn't be getting attacked in the first place. Though it's unavoidable that we will, five seconds isn't going to necessarily save your life.
Suprisingly that is a common statement/paradigm amongst players. Casters should just sit back on the backlines while Warriors run around to different enemies and play hero and we just avoid taking damage at all. Sounds like we've been playin too much Diablo and been spamming our Blizzards from safe ranges for far too long.
We should be getting attacked, becuase we are the enemy. And the enemy is well....the enemy :P. And 5 seconds just might give you all you need to get away, and considering 5 energy is all it initially costs, thats a pretty good bargain. Its not just about keeping us alive either though, its about subverting enemy damage, which is what a Mesmer is all about: Manipulation

The very conotation of the word Mesmer is one of manipulation, mesmerizing someone into a state you desire them to be in, right? Think about it...

While a Mesmer doesnt deal in direct damage (which soo many people base their entire Guild Wars game style at this moment on damage only...which is a mistake), he does deal in subverting enemy attacks/energy, and developing a control over his target.

Take for instance an Energy Denial build. He might use skills like Energy Tap, Energy Drain, Energy Burn, Energy Surge, Leech Signets, Power Leak, Mind Wrack, Ether Lord, Panic, yadda yadda. Skills that take away the enemy's energy. Maybe his build doesnt incorporate hardly any damage at all... But the energy he steals is not used against him or his team either. Do you see the point I am making here? You dont have to do damage to be effective. What hurts a team in PvP more? Doing damage to a healer which he can use his energy and heal up, or taking away all of his energy so that he cant heal anyone at all....which is more effective in combat? You could argue for either side, that damageing will also use up energy, and yes it will. But the ability to take a characters power away from him seems mighty appealing to me.

What about applying this same scenario to PvE? Well despite what someone said, monsters do not have infinte energy to my knowledge. They are subject to certain rules too (nevermind their special monster only attacks though :P). And taking away a monsters ability to do anything but his base attacks x damage instead of that Frozen Burst or Meteor is very useful to both you and your team.

That was just a hypothetical example, but hopefully it can show you a little about what the Mesmer has to offer.

If you ever need some real Mesmer help look for me in the Mes forums.

Way of the Dragon
03-06-2005, 14:12
This is my favorite class. Shutting down monks is fun (my second favorite class). I cast 3 spells and they are oom.

Phaeax
03-06-2005, 15:29
Here's my 2 cents... go up two and read Tsume's post (nicely done, good sir :happy34: )

majoho
03-06-2005, 16:05
Every profession is a bit circumstancial, a few examples:

As a Fighter using swords and sever artery/Gash or a Necromancer using Death Magic you're kinda screwed when fighting golems, you cant make them bleed and you have no corpses to play with.

lred
03-06-2005, 17:19
I'm pretty sure it was a mesmer that disabled my spells for some 10 seconds - two times in a row, a few days ago in HoH PvP. Since i was protection/healing monk, this went a long way towards helping the other team win the match. I plan on bringen spell breaker and/or pacifism next time.

In PvE, the spells you should bring really depend on the situation; which mobs will you be up against in the particular area you are venturing into.
In the early game any class can do pretty well by bringen the general purpose spells that you then have. Later on, especially after you have ascended and even more so in the end game on the volcano islands, the way to get an edge over opponents is to know what you'r up against and bring specific spells to deal with it. This is even more true in PvP, where there's the additional problem that you don't really know what you will be up against.
Maybe mesmers should more properly be called "messers", since they do mess with you and your skills.

Crimson Stigmata
03-06-2005, 18:24
-The duration is equal to the recast so it can be kept on indefinately.
-It's a stance so it is instacast and can be activated while running.
-With a decent illusion attribute it only drains 1 energy per hit, but you regen 1.3 energy a second.

It is THE best mesmer damage mitigation skill in the entire set.

i cant remember how many times distortion saved me in PvP. But that statistic Lebeau gave is gold! Hehe Gambit fan eh? I think he's hot :D (im a girl lol)

Tribo
04-06-2005, 03:16
A lot of shutdown mesmer skills take awhile to cast, so its a hassle without the primary Fast Casting. Mesmers aren't so much needed in PvE, but definitely a intense role to use in PvP.

people are so naive

http://s11.invisionfree.com/Tribo/index.php?showtopic=6

ive shown this to people a few times, but i felt the need to show it in this thread ones again.

Im not saying its the best, my point is it's still pretty good in PvM.

not considering that's only lvl 14 domination

Nobleman Azure
04-06-2005, 06:23

Mantra of Fire + Spirit of Greater Conflagration
Mantra of Water + Spirit of Winter
Mantra of Lightning, lets just say a Mo/Me with mantra of lightning is a living monk in Tombs

Reducing a damage 45% is not useful? Try get hit with those recent cookie cutter air elementalists and you will see why cutting their damage in half would make you NOT dead

As a caster you ARE the main concerns if you play PVP you will see that either you or a monk will be the first one to suffer focus fire, so the idea that you shouldnt be getting hit is false

Distortion when illusion magic is maxed makes you lose 1 energy per dodge, what if you cast spirit of failure on the person attacking you? Each time he misses you gain x energy (without maxing inspiration ud probably gain 3) so what about that? an almost infinite 75% dodge rate while gaining 2-3 energy on the process. I laughed at a W/Mo who wont stop trying to hit me one time, just giving me more energy for me to use against his team casters.

...and besides if you are using distortion as a caster and not running at the same time to reduce the amount of attacks towards you, you need to learn how and when to run, its a tactic not a "pu**y move"

Mesmer spells are for teh most part situational anyways, keep current on what the current cookie cutter trends are and you would have somethin against it.

BTW, if you have skipped a page and read this post, skip back one page and read Tsume's post. His post made mine alot shorter as he covers ALOT of material regarding mesmers there

errtu
05-06-2005, 01:55
well i totally disagree with the statement "mesmers - horrible" unless your up against one in pvp,

they are both useful in pvp and pve, being able to stop devastating spells like meteor storm cast by hydra is awsome, the fact that pve casters wont stop casting just because they have backfire on them also makes it good for pve, shatter hex is great for casting on your warrior when he is in the middle of a grp of enemy and hexed. (alot of mesmer skills are situational)

the different mantras work well in different areas, such as mantra of frost for shiverpeaks and so on..

first i made a warrior and got bored fast at the simplicity of play, then a made an E/Me but ended up using only elem skills combined with arcane echo because elem have so many different useful skills and when i joined a group, the group expected me to be a nuker, but mesmer imo is a great class to play, if you can put yourself in the right situation at the right time and use your head a little you can be devastating and a great asset to any group in both pve and pvp

(i also find it highly amusing to see warriors continue to fight with empathy on them and casters continue to cast with backfire)

lzr
10-06-2005, 18:47

I am a lvl 20 Me/E and have the following spec: 12 Illusion, 12 fast cast and 10 inspiration magic.
I use distortion almost every time someone attacks me, distortion is 5 sec recast which means I am able to hold this spell until my mana runs out. It usually takes about 5-10 seconds after using the skill until the warriors have switched target.
I use "crippling anguish" as elite skill which gives 3 health degen + 19 sec snare. This combined with the other dots phantom pain + conjure phantasm and the target has a health degen of 11 (and 50% snared). And on top of this u have the ability to dispel any enhancement (such as healing breeze etc).

If I remove rez and put in gale (requires 5 air magic) this gives 3 sec knockdown for 5 mana + exhaustion I don't loose to any class 1on1 (except maybe monk/warrior with convert hex)

cludinsk
10-06-2005, 21:34
Mesmers - tasty?

Pip
14-06-2005, 00:41
Mesmers basicaly cast hexes and let their enemies kill themselves with backfire on mages and Empathy on warriors. Empathy kills warrior while stacked with other hexes sooooooooo mesmer isnt as bad as alot of people think

Mcjjashik
14-06-2005, 01:00
i find mesmers the most usefull( and annoying if u vsing 1 ) in guildhall. , pvm sux, pvp -best of all others

reciprocal
16-06-2005, 11:19
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new with my mesmer/monk but one thing I find very annoying with mesmers is that they are very focused on single targeting. The domination spells take a long time to cast (even with fast casting) and take forever to recharge not to mention expensive. This means that you've got to make sure you've got the right target right off to prevent wasting a spell. However, when 2 or more enemies target you, it's more or less game over, especially if they are rangers/warriors. You can't heal fast because (1) most of the skill slots are for disruption (2) my points are in dom, fast cast and inspiration (a must) so no space for extra heals (3) Ether feast is slow. Empathy won't really save you much, and the only area spell that I like at this point is chaos storm, which they can just walk out.

I'm not one who wants to be nuke like an elementalist, but I'm wondering what someone can do when the PvE melee/ranger people come after you in big groups

Rizzy
16-06-2005, 13:58
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new with my mesmer/monk but one thing I find very annoying with mesmers is that they are very focused on single targeting. The domination spells take a long time to cast (even with fast casting) and take forever to recharge not to mention expensive. This means that you've got to make sure you've got the right target right off to prevent wasting a spell. However, when 2 or more enemies target you, it's more or less game over, especially if they are rangers/warriors. You can't heal fast because (1) most of the skill slots are for disruption (2) my points are in dom, fast cast and inspiration (a must) so no space for extra heals (3) Ether feast is slow. Empathy won't really save you much, and the only area spell that I like at this point is chaos storm, which they can just walk out.

I'm not one who wants to be nuke like an elementalist, but I'm wondering what someone can do when the PvE melee/ranger people come after you in big groups... Thats why I look for items with 20% chance to reduce casting time on domination.

And think about it, a Mesmer is a shut down class...
Whats the best way to kill a spell caster after you shut them down?
A weapon of course.

Whats the best way to kill a warrior?
A Magical weapon which ignores amour class and does standard damage.
And a spell that hurts them with every swipe they take at you.

Sure 25 hp lost is not much, but think about it. A slash is faster than casting most spell (unlike flare which is spammable)

It can easily do about 100 damage in the time it's active on a warrior.

Nobleman Azure
16-06-2005, 20:37
Well i do agree, mesmers are horrible....when you're against them.

...now if only i have a video of this guy in team arena who perpetually threw mud at me with cusses and i-hate-you-stuff because they had two monks and both of them was running around useless while my team beats on the other characters.

Illusionists
16-06-2005, 21:54
Mesmers are reversed monks, if you will.