PDA

View Full Version : Me/N Ultra Degen build

Efflixi
31-05-2005, 00:09
I made a build for a Me/N that I'm currently working on I would love some comments please. Thanks.

Illusion Magic- 12+1+3=16
Fast Casting- 3+3=6
Blood Magic- 12

1 Phantom Pain
2 Life Siphon
3 Conjure Phantasm
4 Life Transfer (Elite)
5 Distortion
6 Illusion Of Haste
7 Illusion of Weakness
8 Resurection Signet

The basic Idea is a supoort unit that makes killing (monks especially) a heck of a lot faster. The first 4 skills are put in that order for a special reason. I want phantom pain to end first so their life will be cut by 20%. By then the other degen skills will be draining health away. Distortion, Illusion Of Haste, and Illusion of Weakness are to stay alive *duh*. My whole Idea is to make the ultimate support unit for an ele. I give degen while the targets health also drops by huge amounts from the ele which should add up to very quick kills. :clap:

alexmatusiak
31-05-2005, 00:14
Ummm ... looks good but you're too heavy on the Degen i think. Max life degen is 10 and you by the looks of it, you have ... -18? :confused:

Efflixi
31-05-2005, 00:22
Ummm ... looks good but you're too heavy on the Degen i think. Max life degen is 10 and you by the looks of it, you have ... -18? :confused:

Thats just because I want it to keep going. You know, like always have 10 degen and no less.

alexmatusiak
31-05-2005, 00:41
Thats just because I want it to keep going. You know, like always have 10 degen and no less.

Ah ... well, your duration on Phantasm is long enough that you can overlap it, personally I'd throw away Life Transfer and take Migraine instead, especially if you want to shut down and kill monks, because you'll mess them up and stay on the degen theme.

Efflixi
31-05-2005, 00:49
Well I would but life transfer could also help me stay alive with the +7 health regen. Pluse if I do switch elites I would probably go illusionary weaponry so I couuld deal out damage +degen.

Nobleman Azure
31-05-2005, 03:00
Illusion of haste is a mediocre way of escaping if that is what you are aiming for, imo i would drop this and add in well of blood instead.

You have no energy regaining skills, distortion will do more trouble to you than help I suggest getting something else. Clumsiness always does good damage against warriors, if you want to be defensive however which is the point of distortion, you can use Unholy Feast

alexmatusiak
31-05-2005, 03:05
Well I would but life transfer could also help me stay alive with the +7 health regen. Pluse if I do switch elites I would probably go illusionary weaponry so I couuld deal out damage +degen.

If you go with IW i suggest you dump Illusion of Haste and take Vamp touch of something. Personally, I would much prefer to just dump Illusion of Haste and take Vamp gaze because it'll help you stay alive and you can stay at range.

Unless you have some part warrior and you have a build based on being up close, I wouldn't take IW. If you're there to help an ele take down monks and other casters, I still say switch IoH for Gaze, and life transfer for migraine.

Honestly, if you're playing a good PvP team, they know how to focus fire to null the effect of life transfer. A sudden burst of life of life is a far better option imo, even with illusion of weakness. Basically, you can't cast life transfer quickly to get yourself out of a jam, because it casts twice as long and heals over time, but gaze is instant gratification and with 1/6th the cooldown.

Efflixi
31-05-2005, 08:44
Ah good points, alright ill switch out IoH for gaze but I think this is slowly turning into an anti-wa build which isn't bad. :)

My mesmerness with attract them to me while I cast some degen, go into the stance, and beat on them with IW. The only thing is the energy here. One things for sure, if I can't kill withing my first combo I'm a gonner.

Rekiem
31-05-2005, 09:17
Life Transfer works really well with Arcane Echo.

Illusion of Weakness is not very good. Mainly because you can only use it once per fight and a 200ish heal when you're about to die as your only method of healing is horrible.

alexmatusiak
31-05-2005, 19:13
The beauty, in my eye, with me/n is that you can be anti-caster and anti-warrior.

Also, I wouldn't use arcane echo on life transfer, because you're using 35 energy to hit that 10 degen cap whereas if you used life tranfer and phantasm, you'd hit the cap with only 20 energy. The only time i see that as effective, is if you simply aren't using conjure phantasm because you aren't doing illusion on the mesmer side, and arcane echo even with no points in to illusion, still works fine.

Finally, as your energy concerns, if you do go IW and plan on being in the fray a bit (i still don't recommend this but it can work) you can look at channeling because you'll most likely be close enough to a few enemy toons to leech from, to make it effective. Channeling also has a long duration you can get it up and basically forget about it for a while. Usually I'd take one or two of ether lord, energy tap or (most commonly) power drain. Then again, I often go for mantra of recovery which makes any of those enery spells that much more effective.

Unfortunately, illusion doesn't offer any energy regaining skills other than ethereal burden ... which is, dare i say, some weak sauce.

-A-

Nobleman Azure
31-05-2005, 19:28
why is anyone so concerned of the 10 degen cap, when you fight in a PVP battle and you are this type of character it helps to spread your poison. If you LT that monk, give him a siphon and phantasm that air ele, give that air ele a siphon too then move on if you echoes your LT is echoed give it to someone else.

The same goes for shutdown mesmers, you cant tunnel vision to one person, backfire this one, switch and drain the other, switch and blackout another.

Mcjjashik
31-05-2005, 22:06
theirs a major weakness here, energy problem, all wut u need 2 do is mostly cast 3 at a time, no need for 8, mabye 3-5. Also, Dot is.. bleh cant tell, its our so called "secret for only our guild members."

alexmatusiak
01-06-2005, 01:05
why is anyone so concerned of the 10 degen cap, when you fight in a PVP battle and you are this type of character it helps to spread your poison. If you LT that monk, give him a siphon and phantasm that air ele, give that air ele a siphon too then move on if you echoes your LT is echoed give it to someone else.

The same goes for shutdown mesmers, you cant tunnel vision to one person, backfire this one, switch and drain the other, switch and blackout another.

The manner in which the first post was written, it seemed as though he has the degens in order to cast on one target, thus the -18 he had goin was mostly made useless.

The first 4 skills are put in that order for a special reason. I want phantom pain to end first so their life will be cut by 20%. By then the other degen skills will be draining health away.

Which is why I suggested Migraine because if you're goin all out on one monk, you might as well drop your damage that isn't being used anyway and slow his casting.

Nobleman Azure
01-06-2005, 06:37
The manner in which the first post was written, it seemed as though he has the degens in order to cast on one target, thus the -18 he had goin was mostly made useless.

explain how "the manner" in which the first post was written gave enough reason for one to assume something. Assumptions does not bode well.

Before anything, I'm not bagging on you, just saying that all those degens has to be in one target, even if his post was implying that he would cast it on one target, it would help to specify that he should spread his degen as another way other than cutting down his degen spells

Besides, you got to factor in mending, troll, healing breeze and other stuff that push down degens.

alexmatusiak
01-06-2005, 23:46
Do you want me to requote him? :lol:

The basic Idea is a supoort unit that makes killing (monks especially) a heck of a lot faster. The first 4 skills are put in that order for a special reason. I want phantom pain to end first so their life will be cut by 20%.

So he wants to make it easier to kill espeically monks, and wants to use those first four skills in order against a target so that they end in an order, and the first four skills are,

1 Phantom Pain
2 Life Siphon
3 Conjure Phantasm
4 Life Transfer (Elite)

Throwing degens around is an OKAY idea at best, all I wanted to say that if he wants this to really be 'monks espeically' then Migraine is a better option than life transfer. His drain will still be over 10, but he's also stabbin at the monk's ability to heal, and since his build has no Interruptions, it might be a good idea to do something.

Is that wrong?

Besides, if you spread around degen, in PvP i find it pointless against teams of at least moderate intelligence and practice (or planning) because another mesmer or monk can throw a wrench in to that idea pretty quick. I've found it far better to have a focus and place in your team. A mesmer has the ability to seriously mess with a team's healing, which is why we're often early targets, and throwing a bit of degen here and there isn't doing your duty against ANY team.

-A-

Nobleman Azure
02-06-2005, 05:37
What? a few degen here and there? You got it wrong

What im saying is you spread your degen if you already know hes reaching his limit of 10 pips. Life Siphon is meant to be spread in the first place, if you havent noticed it charges quick and the more people you have siphoned the faster your regen is.

I did NOT bag on your idea of migraine, its a good idea to use it i have not a slightest idea why you brought that up. Did i say anything about that being a bad idea?

DOT is for something that wouldnt die in a few seconds anyways, its supposed to put a pressure on the person targetted or deal huge damage comepare dto other types of damage if the target is heavily armored.

If something is being focused fire, chances are he wont live for very long, why would you focus ALL your DOT in that? Hed die before all your DOT reached the full duration which means less damage dealt.

alexmatusiak
02-06-2005, 16:59
Err..

Well I think I'm as tired as you of being drawn back to this thread :lol:

I'm not 'baging' on you either. You just mentioned why people are concerned with the cap, and I just wanted to point out that since he planned on casting those 4 in order against a toon, there was little point going 8 points over the cap, when he could go 4 over and double that toon's casting time. Thats all.

As for the spreading of degen, against a decend monk or mesmer, there will be at least one or two hex breaking spells so I think you'd use Life Siphon's 2 sec cooldown to replenish that stack of degen. If, however, they aren't that put together, then by all means spread siphon around.

Now if we could use Transfer with Mantra of Recovery ... then I'd be strummin a different tune....

So.. Can we put this to playstyle and call a truce ? :thumbsup:

minetryk
02-06-2005, 18:50
I'm no expert PvPer, but while some DOT can be effective, I wouldn't rely on it as my main combo/strategy.

In GvG you won't have to do all/most of the work of damage to kill a monk. Others will work with you. Mesmer's are the set-up of a combo, IMO. They should create an initial hindering restriction on the target "A" then switch to keep target "B" from helping target "A." While you are on "B," your heavy damage dealers, or just, your teamates hit target A.

example-

Monk A (primary monk)
Monk B/(or)Mesmer

1. you backfire monk A
2. teamates focus fire on Monk A
3. you blackout Monk B, who would heal him, or the mesmer who might stop the backfire.

Those two spells could be your main anticaster combo.

then for warriors

Ineptitude causes blindness, which is scarier then DOT, especially if you have epidemic.

Or go back to Necromancer for your Elite, for skill balance

maybe keep using inspiration skills with fast casting to steal (if maxed) 13 energy at a cost of 5 or interrupt to steal 25 energy at a cost of 5 (power drain). use the energy gained to steal life.

now the target is losing life and energy, and it's not dot, so its not a hex or condition to be removed.

I also like grenth's balance. It's my favorate necromancer skill. Not saying its the best, but at 1/4 sec. cast time, its a great second wind.

I also like parasitic bond as a 5 energy 30-102 heal. It gives degen of -1, which is likely to be ignored. But at end of 20 sec., you get a good heal for a low cost and 2 sec. recharge. You could use it multiple times on various targets in a fight. BTWits under curses.

Nobleman Azure
03-06-2005, 05:37
Now if we could use Transfer with Mantra of Recovery ... then I'd be strummin a different tune....

A truce? were fighting? XD

anyways, as for quoting that line i just want to say "slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp....mmm HP" lol