PDA

View Full Version : Measured Drop Rate part 2 - Runes

Diceclock
01-06-2005, 17:10
So call me a noob but I realize that I was hunting things that don't drop runes my first time round. Last night I hunted different mobs, and got very interesting results, especially combined with my first session. To recap let me give you yesterday's run.

SESSION ONE : 1 Hour total killing, traveling, selling time

175 level 20 Mobs killed (Unarmored)

3 Gold Items
8 Purple Items
30 Blue items
10 Platinum in cash (including selling blues to merchant)

SESSION TWO : 30 Minutes total, killing, traveling, selling

75 Level 18 Mobs killed (Armored)

0 Gold Items
4 Purple Items
10 Blue Items
1 Platinum in cash (including selling white items)

General Droprate Theory -

Mobs always drop something, from their base loot table. The main division is between Armored mobs, and Unarmored mobs. The base loot table consists of the following....

Cash
Generic Mob Trophy 1
Generic Mob Trophy 2
White Weapon
Blue Weapon
Purple Weapon
Gold Weapon (not yet witnessed on Armored mob)

The difference between Armored and Unarmored lies in the Generic Mob Trophy. For Unarmored mobs, about 70% of the time, you'll get a Generic Mob Trophy or Cash, 25% of the time you'll get a blue/white weapon, and 5% of the time you'll get a purple, 1% for a Gold. These numbers are approximate. You will never get a Rune. If your farming for either cash or weapons, these are the mobs you want.

Armored mobs drop differently. 70% of the time you will get a Generic Mob Trophy (we'll call it a GMT). Half the time the GMT will be junk, like a badge, and the other half the GMT will be the mob's Armor, gear, robes or the like. This is where you get runes. When the Armored mobs don't drop GMTs, which is about 20% of the time, they usually drop white/blue weapons. The same drop rate of 5% for Purples seems to apply. I also assume that a roughly 1% Gold drop rate applies to Armored mobs, but I am only speculating here. Something to note is that Armored mobs drop a very low cash rate, less than 10%. (I guess they're broke from buying 15k armor too.) :surprise:

In my 30 minutes of farming Armored mobs last night, I managed to pull 6 minor runes and 1 major rune. It was nice because I actually needed it, unlike the plethora of minor absorption and beast mastery runes I seem to always get. In that same 30 minutes, less than 500 gold cash dropped. I did leave a large ammount of white gear on the ground out of sheer laziness, maybe 1 plat worth over an hour, but just estimating here. It would be good if you were looking for materials.

So I hope that helps in your planning. Go forth and Farm.

Hades the Terrible
01-06-2005, 17:13
I am intrested in two things here.

1. What did you farm?
2. What professions were you?

kaiwryn
01-06-2005, 17:20
Oaky, so possibly a stupid question but, what is an 'Armored Mob' vs. an 'Unarmored Mob'?

IBeJebus
01-06-2005, 17:23
Oaky, so possibly a stupid question but, what is an 'Armored Mob' vs. an 'Unarmored Mob'?

An armored mob would be quite simply an mob that has monsters wearing armor. Like White Mantle Knights, Stone Summit Dwarves, Charr. and such. Unarmored would be things like Devourers, Scarabs and such.

Serendipity
01-06-2005, 17:24

'Armored Mob' drop armors, cloths... Unarmored don't.

Armored Mob : dwarves, grawls, Ettins, mursaats... They usually are humanoid.

Unarmored Mob : bear, dryder..

kaiwryn
01-06-2005, 17:26
So essentialy, anything that can actually drop armor then...seeing as this post is about Rune drop frequency (though I am judging more by the title than the post as the post didn't seem to mention it much), why are you even fighting unarmored mobs? (As I understand it, armor is the only place to get them.)

Phaeax
01-06-2005, 17:31
Hey you noob... thanks for the info. :happy34:

Cordio Muffinhead
01-06-2005, 17:54
Wow, you are really decidicated to helping poor farmers, such as myself, with this information.
Thanks man.

Good Job again by the way.

Diceclock
01-06-2005, 20:22
So essentialy, anything that can actually drop armor then...seeing as this post is about Rune drop frequency (though I am judging more by the title than the post as the post didn't seem to mention it much), why are you even fighting unarmored mobs? (As I understand it, armor is the only place to get them.)

I fought Unarmored mobs 2 days ago, and Armored mobs yesterday.

huxley maximus
02-06-2005, 00:50
Hmmm I would like to add my farming exprience

Level 18 feathered carnomi elites in groups of four
lvl 18 bog scales
lvl 13 inferno imps

In an hour I would kill these averages

25-30 caronomi elites
20 bog scales
15 fire imps

Obviously the fire imps hardly ever drop rares. I did get one gold item that sucked once.

Carnomi elites. Out of 30 fought at a time I would get this
2-4 purple drops
1 gold drop
10 feathered caronomi scalps
20 feathers
5-8 pieces of white or blue armor

Bog scales
Lame light blue items galore
scales and tons of them

Fire Imps
fire hearts
lame wands usually light blue

I was able to unlock a few major and a few minor runes from the caronomi. I have farmed them many times and have never seen a superior even on the level 40 gold armor they drop. It seems superiors are limited to only level 20 or above mobs or I am just unluck (I have probably done this run 20 times).

I did find a nice wingblade gold sword that is my primary and a nice gold almost max damage axe I use as well.

The major runes would be either mana storage or warrior skills. A fair amount of times the purple armor would be minor vigor runes.
The minor runes would vary greatly. Overall it is a decent farm but there is better out there surely.

Bravo
02-06-2005, 02:58
I got a yellow 'armour' item in the D'Allessio Seaboard mission today off of an ettin. Identified to minor rune of something or other (was so let down because it could have been my first superior rune after 189 hours on the character)...

Horus Vindictive
02-06-2005, 03:36
myself i spend alot of time farming and could have told you the armor/unarmo ratio early as well :P i spend half my time farming the drakes in sanctum for hella quick gold prolly around w/ selling the stuff that drops and grabbing the one barrell thats there i pull around 300-600 depending.. and surprisingly get alot of purple drops and a few gold here and there.. mostly all weapons and artifacts as been stated they are unarmored so wont get runes

Today i finally got my setup right so i can go into riverside and solo 6-8 white mantle at a time and just today alone ive pulled well over 10-15 runes mostly minor couple majors in the mix as well.. and got a couple gold weapons off the armored mobs so they do drop.. just not as frequent as the non-armored since they have less chance of what they will drop..

oh and im a W/Mo who sets a full monk smite/healing/prot setup when i do my farming in case anyone wondered..

in game -horus vindictive- hit me up i always like to chat : )

EliteNewbz
02-06-2005, 03:57
Where do you guys farm? I'm currently creating a Mo/W made for PvP and farming. Since I would have extra skills to change from PvE -> PvP. So where are these drakes? While Mantle Knights(aren't they allies? didn't you help them kill stuff)? Etc? Can anyone tell me some good farming areas? I have a 15, R/Me but I still don't know where to farm and I need the money! :O Also where can I find fiery Dragon swords? THANKS!

Death Dragon
02-06-2005, 03:58
Horus Vindictive, I am wanting to farm Riversides WhiteMantle.

Smiter Monk Mo/whatever
Smite: 15
One of the following - 12+
heal
protect
divine favor

I basically use my smiting skills to cause some serious damage. If I go Ranger secondary, I take along my Dire Black Widow (Ubah Spidah). If I go Warrior, I gladly do HolyWrath + Retribution + Mending + Watchful Spirit as my enchantments, for +5-6 Regeneration and 99% Attack damage return. I will usually do Adrenaline Skills for Axes to fill my other skills.

If you are not in a guild, I can give an invite. :happy14:

Diceclock
02-06-2005, 21:01
Major runes do infact drop of mobs lower than 20, I got a Major Energy off of a level 18 mob.

IBeJebus
02-06-2005, 21:02
Major runes do infact drop of mobs lower than 20, I got a Major Energy off of a level 18 mob.

I found 2 major runes yesterday in the Northen Shiverpeaks off of the Stone Summit Dwarves

Phaeax
02-06-2005, 21:03
I got my second Superior Vigor (before the update) off of a level 13 Beastmaster.

Some of this probably changed with the most recent update. Basically, a purple or gold item will always contain a rune, and if gold, it will always be better than minor.

Tarrant Rahl
02-06-2005, 21:13
Very nice post and info Diceclock. I'd like to request you continue recording data and posting it here, I am sure both ArenaNet and the community are interested in hearing your results. I've moved this to the PvE forum as it relates directly with PvE, however I will also make a news post about it a bit later.

Keep up the good work :happy34:.

Parker Bsb
02-06-2005, 21:42
Rock on Dice! Well done glad you took more detailed results this time :D

Also people that are asking "where do you farm" or "what is your build" as evident by the fact that flesh golems no-longer are a good farm spot, dedicated farmers will not tell you their build/strategy it will only lead to loosing it; also try to figure it out for yourself... it makes thing more enjoyable if you actually figure it out for yourself.

Glenn_Irving
03-06-2005, 01:34
A great place to farm I still think is Divinity Coast. There are exactly 8 Lightning Drakes, 2 Grand Drakes, and if you can solo up to 3 at once 6 Ettin's. The Drakes don't quite drop as well as they use to but are still ok to farm at for they still do drop more purple and gold weapons than most. The Ettin's normaly drop crap for weapon's but do drop blue, purple, and sometimes gold Ettin's Pauldron which can be salvaged for runes. Since the new update came all purple and gold will always have a major or if your lucky a surperior rune in em.

Just a helpful tip for you guys.

Zuvio
03-06-2005, 02:40
Wow, what an astonishing revelations again today. Let me put it reaaal simple for ya: WHERE do you place runes? On your naked ***? No, on armor. So in fact, the ratio of rune drops from unarmored/armored creatures would be, like say, 0 to 100% ?? Someone should rename himself to Sr. Nimrod. ^^

Well, good luck with your farming people, just remember this one GOLDEN (also a rare drop , since no one actually follows it) rule: DONT GIVE OUT GOOD FARMING LOCATIONS ON FORA!!!!

Glenn_Irving
03-06-2005, 03:36
Well, good luck with your farming people, just remember this one GOLDEN (also a rare drop , since no one actually follows it) rule: DONT GIVE OUT GOOD FARMING LOCATIONS ON FORA!!!!

Since when did the GOLDEN RULE become not giving out farming locations on the Forums. Since when was it a rule bro for I never heard of it and from what I understand people have been puting up farming locations in the forums since the beta.

neweruser
03-06-2005, 04:09
Not to sound like a negative sally, buuut. What is there really to gain by statistical analys of item drops? Is it that if I am not getting what others are statistically I need to change farm spots?
Second from what I have personally seen drops seem very depedant on mob type and level. So thier loot tables are very imporatant if we are do drop analys and by coveting which mobs that are being farmed pretty much make any analys useless.
Now I am not saying people should give out build and skill sets. If thats what they want to do fine, but by not providing mob types more specific then armored and un armored this information is pretty much useless. If you are making connections between armored drops being runes and non being weapons drops I will agree that armored tables are fairly random and see no pattern in runes associated with certain mobs. Weapons on the other hand do seem to be more associated to mob type from my persoanal experience. I have not run any of my findings through any algorithms looking for patterns and for that matter have not even charted any of my findings other then memory of what I have seen.
So that being said from my gut memory ( not totally accurate) I would say gold drops are much higher then 1% atleast from super humanoids. (Giants types, ettins, beast alot taller then me) I would chart them from the gut closer to 5-8% chance.
I figured I would not make this a totally negative post and added in the gold drop stats to atleast contribute something to those that find this useful. Not totally sure what there is to gain from this knowledge, but there it is.

deathmf
03-06-2005, 06:19
Where exactly DID you farm and what kind of monsters did you farm (undead, charr, etc.)?

Thervold
03-06-2005, 08:10
Superior runes too! My fiance got a superior vigor off a gypsie ettin in kryta.

Tsume
03-06-2005, 09:44
I got my second Superior Vigor (before the update) off of a level 13 Beastmaster.

Some of this probably changed with the most recent update. Basically, a purple or gold item will always contain a rune, and if gold, it will always be better than minor.

Just wanted to clarify that yes both purple and gold are guaranteed to hold a rune, only gold is guaranteed to hold major or superior.

Zuvio
03-06-2005, 15:13
Since when did the GOLDEN RULE become not giving out farming locations on the Forums. Since when was it a rule bro for I never heard of it and from what I understand people have been puting up farming locations in the forums since the beta.

And how many locations have we lost? Thank you.

Lord Gargoyle
03-06-2005, 17:19
And how many locations have we lost? Thank you.

if you are so desillusioned that a-net has no data gather tool to find out about such places then i pitty you.
go and use your tinhat for sony may send waves into your brain via their satellites. ;)

roselan
03-06-2005, 17:35
in my experience, there are mobs that I can wipe out the floor, and others that I can't seem to dent (mobs arround the same level).

I think it is better to mass kill the ones I can, and if they don't give good loot, they still give plenty of money I can spend on *your* loot ;)

Come on, shopping is way more fun than farming anyway :surprise:

Neone
03-06-2005, 19:59
Just wanted to clarify that yes both purple and gold are guaranteed to hold a rune, only gold is guaranteed to hold major or superior.

yea I got 2-3 purples who were still minors... :(

Caelib
03-06-2005, 20:41
For those that would like to know, he was probably farming in Perdition Rock with Flesh Golems ... which has now been "fixed" so it's not so easy to farm. The other zone (Armored) was Riverside (mission).

I'm not sure why the poster of this thread thinks it's some big secret to farm those areas ... it's pretty common knowledge ... especially considering how you see "look at how bad@ss my farming toon is" videos all over ... maybe he doesn't want it to get nerfed ... oops ... nevermind, it already did.

this_barb
04-06-2005, 10:27
Were those lvl 18's justiciars in riverside?

Warskullx
06-06-2005, 05:57
Is it possible that drop rates may be affected by the classes in a group? I just did some farming as a Me/W and was way ahead of 1% for gold armored drops (for example 2 gold in a row.) I had roughly 8 gold drops in 1 hour. In addition I was farming in one of the areas that was susposed to be nerfed badly and is extremely well known. I have been getting lucky as hell with my Me/W (while I have noted much less luck as my E/Mo.) Heck, I think I got more gold than purple.

Miss Fiery Chaos
04-09-2005, 04:47
Do you get more loot when farming without henchmen? I realize that you have to split your gold, but are items more frequent if you go alone? I've tried to figure out by reading other threads, but it hasn't been clarified in most, for I'm not sure if loot means gold and/or items. And, I can't tell in-game, since items never show up as items reserved for henchmen.

Thanks ahead of time for responding to a noob! :happy14:

beemander
06-09-2005, 04:49
Do you get more loot when farming without henchmen? I realize that you have to split your gold, but are items more frequent if you go alone? I've tried to figure out by reading other threads, but it hasn't been clarified in most, for I'm not sure if loot means gold and/or items. And, I can't tell in-game, since items never show up as items reserved for henchmen.

Thanks ahead of time for responding to a noob! :happy14:
good thing u found out about this early. henchies take part of the loot. it doesnt even drop if its assigned to them. and they take more than they deserve :mad:

Tempest Arcanos
07-09-2005, 14:47
Hmmm I would like to add my farming exprience. Overall it is a decent farm but there is better out there surely.

Yes, there is a better farm out there, its Holy Name is Twin Serpent Lakes.
There are (4) Groups of Tengu Elite (level 18s) in the zone. Groups range from 4-6, will invariably aggro as a group no matter how you pull them, and can run down a non-speed enhanced player like nobody's business.

At zone entrance, there is a pile of Bog Skales/Mergoyles, you're going to want to ignore this junk. They have awful drops and frankly are beyond the capacity of anything except a Monk to sit through and kill (well, u could but it'd just be pointless, I meant efficiently) So, you want something for + movement, they wont follow you to the rez shrine if you've got it.

Upon reaching the rez shrine, there will be a group of Tengu Elites to your right, and off to your left. They're all melee/physical damage, hit pretty quick and middling hard. AoEs are the recommended course.

On average a group of 4-6 Tengu Elite will drop 1 Purp or Gold armor, and perhaps 1-2 blue. In 20 5-7 minute runs today, killing 20-24 each run I collected 9 Superior Runes, 28 Majors and 54 Minors, plus 5.5k plat in junk items, and 3.7k plat in common craft item stacks, plus 1800 in Steel ingots (selling at 150 each)

Most were junk, but I did get 2 Sup. Smiting, 1 Sup. Healing, 1 Sup. Divine Favor. Also got 2 Major Vigors.

This farm is either a Smite monk or Ele solo-farm, or to be farmed as a duo (I know several Blood Necros and Domination Mes who do it w/ W/Mo's.

So, if Rune hunting is your game you simply cannot beat Twin Serpent Lakes. I play a Fire/Water Ele/Me and w/ Fire at 15 (removed my fire helm), Water at 14 (attached a Sup. Water for farming to be dumped later) and E. storage at 10 I do this run in 6 minutes, 45 seconds.

You might also try Riverside Province mission, I understand its a more open farm to more classes.

Anyways, hope this helps.

SpoonyWA
17-10-2005, 13:57
i prefer my run

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/4113/ettinftw1jl.jpg

betazed
19-10-2005, 16:15
Yes, there is a better farm out there, its Holy Name is Twin Serpent Lakes.
There are (4) Groups of Tengu Elite (level 18s) in the zone. Groups range from 4-6, will invariably aggro as a group no matter how you pull them, and can run down a non-speed enhanced player like nobody's business.

At zone entrance, there is a pile of Bog Skales/Mergoyles, you're going to want to ignore this junk. They have awful drops and frankly are beyond the capacity of anything except a Monk to sit through and kill (well, u could but it'd just be pointless, I meant efficiently) So, you want something for + movement, they wont follow you to the rez shrine if you've got it.

Upon reaching the rez shrine, there will be a group of Tengu Elites to your right, and off to your left. They're all melee/physical damage, hit pretty quick and middling hard. AoEs are the recommended course.

On average a group of 4-6 Tengu Elite will drop 1 Purp or Gold armor, and perhaps 1-2 blue. In 20 5-7 minute runs today, killing 20-24 each run I collected 9 Superior Runes, 28 Majors and 54 Minors, plus 5.5k plat in junk items, and 3.7k plat in common craft item stacks, plus 1800 in Steel ingots (selling at 150 each)

Most were junk, but I did get 2 Sup. Smiting, 1 Sup. Healing, 1 Sup. Divine Favor. Also got 2 Major Vigors.

This farm is either a Smite monk or Ele solo-farm, or to be farmed as a duo (I know several Blood Necros and Domination Mes who do it w/ W/Mo's.

I am not sure how you did this so if possible could you post your build?

I tried this out last night and found it to be completely ineffective. It is easy to run past the bog scales up to the rez shrine where you find the tengu. However, the group is not just a melee mob. In boht cases that i tried to do this both group was a size 6 group with 2 tengu wilds. These are mesmers so they strip your enchantments. Also the tengu elites here use seeking blade so any evading stance will cause more damage. I managed to kill one wild before I died.

If you have done this it would be interesting to know the build and procedure.

Cookiematic
19-10-2005, 18:44
I am not sure how you did this so if possible could you post your build?

I tried this out last night and found it to be completely ineffective. It is easy to run past the bog scales up to the rez shrine where you find the tengu. However, the group is not just a melee mob. In boht cases that i tried to do this both group was a size 6 group with 2 tengu wilds. These are mesmers so they strip your enchantments. Also the tengu elites here use seeking blade so any evading stance will cause more damage. I managed to kill one wild before I died.

If you have done this it would be interesting to know the build and procedure.

it got fixed (aka anet added tengu wilds) after a few updates so that might explain a bit

betazed
19-10-2005, 18:53
it got fixed (aka anet added tengu wilds) after a few updates so that might explain a bit

That would explain it. :)

necroshmancer
22-11-2005, 21:30
Yeah, every small farming spot seems to be on a list and every update they neutralize one of them. Soon you won't even be able to farm Charr for hides... I agreed that solo farming UW was a bit insane but seriously...what's unbalanced about a level 20 killing a small number of lower level monsters?

Carnajo
27-11-2005, 15:46
But what makes people think all these areas have been nerfed? Only thing I've seen is that if you continually farm the area then the rates of drops you get decreases. Hit a few different areas, expand your gaming a bit, till the drops increase again. First time I went to try for some minos and griffs, and this was recently mind you, i got loads of pruples and golds, I'm not much of a farmer, I only go occasionally to try something out or for fun, drops are fine, and these are the heavily publicised ares, not the super secret "only I know about" areas.

Deep Purple
01-12-2005, 01:12
Is the North Kryta Province Rune Farming not possible anymore ? I couldn't play for a few weeks and when i tryed it today all the ettins ran away from my fire spells and they didnt drop any runes. It never happened b4, they always run away and heal when i cast Phoenix or Inferno.

danilovic
01-12-2005, 12:23
They do drop.

Wandalf
01-12-2005, 13:13
Is the North Kryta Province Rune Farming not possible anymore ? I couldn't play for a few weeks and when i tryed it today all the ettins ran away from my fire spells and they didnt drop any runes. It never happened b4, they always run away and heal when i cast Phoenix or Inferno.
Was your last farming run there prior to the patch that made monsters flee from AoE spells?
If it is, that could explain everything, as the ettins there will most likely run away if you cast something like Firestorm, Phoenix, Inferno or Lava Font (to name a few).

Deep Purple
04-12-2005, 11:44
Thank you Wandalf,

my last run was a few weeks ago, i changed my build and it works now but the loot is worse than ever :mad: And worst of all it seems to b a lot harder to play with henchies now. Looks like the time where i could get on and make some easy money with a bunch of henchies is over.

:speaker: ANet should make the henchies more intelligent or hire ppl who play them :p

Mr GriFFiN
11-12-2005, 12:19
Thank you Wandalf,

my last run was a few weeks ago, i changed my build and it works now but the loot is worse than ever :mad: And worst of all it seems to b a lot harder to play with henchies now. Looks like the time where i could get on and make some easy money with a bunch of henchies is over.

:speaker: ANet should make the henchies more intelligent or hire ppl who play them :p

I made a post in another topic bases on drop loot rate. To me with all my testing on this matter. I came up with when you farm a certain area on your 2th run a timer clock turns on and more you farm that area you % drops decrease alot. The clock always stays the same till you give up and go somplace else in the world of tyria then the counter on the clock starts counting down.

In my experiance it's always been 1hr to 1hr 15mins when the clock stops. And you can go back to your farming spot to get great drops again. I also went back 1 time 30-45 mins later my drops where mid lvl things...so made me think clock counts down and say half when you go back it's lets say 25% drop rate but slowly works it's way back to 1% drop rate. Same has if you wait couple hours you go back lets say 80% drop but more you farm the % gets lower....

But everyone knows this about the % dropping the more you farm same area. I just believe in my testing a clock starts and doesn't count down till you go someplace else and do a mission or quest.

ciprialex
04-01-2006, 08:52
In my experiance it's always been 1hr to 1hr 15mins when the clock stops. And you can go back to your farming spot to get great drops again. I also went back 1 time 30-45 mins later my drops where mid lvl things...so made me think clock counts down and say half when you go back it's lets say 25% drop rate but slowly works it's way back to 1% drop rate. Same has if you wait couple hours you go back lets say 80% drop but more you farm the % gets lower....
[/QUOTE]

can't argue with that calculations, never did an extended study about "farming clock" , as u might call it.yet, u did not provide a solid proof,but i do agree that's kind of hard to do.from my experience, i did get great drops even after 3-4 hours extensive farming of the same area and very bad drops even with a 1-2 days break from farming same area.so i really can't tell when this farming clock kicks in and luck is a really factor u cannot measure

jasongst
04-01-2006, 17:07
can't argue with that calculations, never did an extended study about "farming clock" , as u might call it.yet, u did not provide a solid proof,but i do agree that's kind of hard to do.from my experience, i did get great drops even after 3-4 hours extensive farming of the same area and very bad drops even with a 1-2 days break from farming same area.so i really can't tell when this farming clock kicks in and luck is a really factor u cannot measure
Are we even sure it's not affected by other players? Loot distribution could easily be affected by the number drops being given to other players at that exact moment in time. One way to test this would be to choose the most off-peak time in GW (perhaps when there is an event in LA) and see if drops increase.

Heck there are an infinite number of ways loot distribution could work. To my knowledge the only word we have straight from aNet is an update saying loot will decrease if you over-farm an area (or some other vague language like that), is that correct? And if we've learned anything from aNet it's that their skill descriptions and update descriptions rarely tell the whole story.

The best thing we can hope to do is to find ways to increase loot distribution; fully describing the mechanics is out of the question. Whatever people are doing in North Kryta with the Ettins seems to be working. Has anyone tested the Ettin run without switching between three zones? I wonder how that effects things.

Topics like this are good for helping us understand things.

Daystar
07-01-2006, 23:46
When it comes to farming. I play with the griffons. You can actually see a pretty distinct pattern from farming Griffons. You find this pattern with other monsters as well. Elona Minotaurs, Fen Trolls etc. etc. etc. What ever floats your boat.

Only difference in my opinion between Armored and Unarmored Mobs is the armor drops. Which seems to replace gold and other items. Which is fine.

I will break this down by Area / Average Level / Average Gold Drop /Average Number of Purples / Average Number of Gold Items / Average Weapon Level

This is per run.
Nolani Academy - *** Just open the gate ***
Monster Level: 5-10
Average Gold Per Drop: 10
Average Number Purple Drops: 1 - 3
Average Gold Items: 0
Average Weapon Level: 3 - 5
Average Gold Per Run: 150 (After Selling Everything)

Gates of Kryta: *** Sneak Around Before the First Group ***
Monster Level: 10-14
Average Gold Per Drop: 30
Average Number of Purple Drops: 0
Average Number of Gold Drops: 0
Average Weapon Level: 10 - 13
Average Gold Per Run: 300 (After Selling Bones and Emblems)

Elonas Reach: *** Minotaur Herds ***
Monster Level: 20
Average Gold Per Drop: 70
Average Number of Purple Drops: 0
Average Number of Gold Drops: 0
Average Weapon Level: 15-20
Average Gold Per Run: 600 (After selling everything)

Desert Griffons: * Outside Augury Rock (They need a no poaching sign) *
Monster Level: 21 - 24
Average Gold Per Drop: 90
Average Number of Purple Drops: 2
Average Number of Gold Drops: 1
Average Weapon Level: 18-20
Average Gold Per Run: 1,800 (Assuming you sell the wings to the merchant)

Fen Trolls / Forest Minotaur: **** Area where Villiany of Galrath Ends ****
Monster Level: 20 / 15
Average Gold Per Drop: 70
Average Number of Purple Drops: 2
Average Number of Gold Drops: 1
Average Weapon Level: 15-18
Average Gold Per Run: 1,500 (Including killing the Forest Minotaurs)

As you can see monster level plays a large part in your drops. I think officially there is only one or two gold drops on any given map. The stronger the monster greater the chance of getting a gold item is. Also I seem to see the more out of the way it is the better the drops. Gold items could be fairly classified as common, uncommon and rare.

Gold items from Gates of Kryta from what I have seen generally are not max damage. Common Gold Drop from Gates of Kryta involves one weapon dam age mod and low req. Uncommon Gold Drop from Gates of Kryta involve one weapon damage mod and decent weapon mod low req. Rare and I have only seen one. It was a 6-22 Axe +15% while instance with max enchanting mod and fiery. So you can see my point.

More enemies does not mean better treasure. Not for runes or even for weapons. It just generally means more loot. Higher level monsters provide more loot and better drops. Farming Forgotten Armor yields mainly Armor drops and there gold drops are almost always runes. Also I find the farther away from anywhere the better the drops. Get a group and go and play in Dreadnoughts Drift some time. =)

Well that is just my opinion.

drucilla
26-01-2006, 23:11
Here are the places I farm regularly;
First I hit the Riverside Mission Hill Giants

Junk-70%
Blue-15%
Purple-10%
Gold-5% (or every other run)

Next its straight to the Ettin Run from beetletun;

Junk-80%
Blue-5%
Purple-15%
Gold-0% (or every 3 or 4 runs)

Finally I head over to the Desert Campaign and slaughter some griffons;

Junk-60%
Blue-15%
Purple-5%
Gold-1%

I understand that I'm missing a few percentile here and there, so long as you get the idea... You'll know what to expect. I find that Hill Giants and Ettins (also referred to as Armored mobs) yield the best runes, of which I sell to the rune trader in hopes that I will be pounding the prices down and making some cash in doing so.

So far, from the Hill Giants I have gotten a handful of superior vigors and the ettins have yielded a lovely superior absorbtion.

My idea is that maybe we should be simplifying the Armorred group and focussing more on the Giants group. I seem to recall a mission where there are about 10+ lvl 15 Hill Giants in the Krytan Campaign.

Please report your findings :)

Southsider
02-02-2006, 04:49
hey guys just reading this. i mostly farm ecto and greens but i recently have been looking for sup vigors. i have been killing ettins mostly. not much luck but only about 8 runs. got a sup earth and 2 major vigors. rest i sell. the only good rune i have ever found is a sup absorp. and what do u know it was when i was not looking for it from that mission sanctum. it droped from a executioner and i dont know there lvl srry.
im good on money and items so i never have farmed griffs or other things. tengu elite were popular for a while i remember also

drucilla
20-02-2006, 05:14
And so, yet another confused reader. Here's what I've learned;

Higher level = better loot [especially armorred mobs e.g. Ettins, Tundra Giants etc..]
Higher level also equates to better quality in item drops, and gold quantity.
If the drops start to suck royally, go run some missions, or help out some newbs. Or give it a rest for a bit.

Otherwise, there doesn't really seem to be much to learn aside from what we've all gatherred (hopefully) from massacre's rune farm run with the Krytan Ettins. :afro:

halfthought
05-03-2006, 22:11
out of curiosity, where do you fight level 18 bog skales

Chip
23-03-2006, 05:27
out of curiosity, where do you fight level 18 bog skales

FoW on the beach I think. Well acctually I know they are there but I am unsure of there number

Obsidian
07-04-2006, 07:20
This is per run.
Nolani Academy - *** Just open the gate ***
Monster Level: 5-10
Average Gold Per Drop: 10
Average Number Purple Drops: 1 - 3
Average Gold Items: 0
Average Weapon Level: 3 - 5
Average Gold Per Run: 150 (After Selling Everything)

I have to disagree with the average gold per run... I always make around 500g after selling everything. 200 in gold and the rest are weapons (blue and white) + couple of dyes (even black). That is, of course, if you farm solo, without henchies. :)

I also get a lot purples from desert hydras (outside augury rock) and usually 1 gold weapon per run (if you go all the way to the hydra claw collector). I got fiery dragon sword and a great gold axe today along with purple ele artifacts and mesmer staffs :)

Oh, and for the record I'm 55 SS necro :)

ChernobylOverseer
11-06-2006, 23:36
This is TOTALLY USELESS TO ALL OF US UNLESS YOU TELL US WHERE YOU DO THIS!!

*Hint Hint*

Caddykins
19-06-2006, 20:10
Interestingly enough, while doing the D'Alessio mission, 2 gold items dropped, with a couple of purple, for our group. (Obviously, these were low level mobs, so yay).

tikhal
23-06-2006, 15:04
Hey, i found a sup vigor on the way between Bergen hot springs and ToA. Might wanna check if its farmable.