PDA

View Full Version : The Rune getting system is horrible.

Mortungo
02-06-2005, 11:47
Ok, After beating the game and getting a fairly good knowledge of the game and economy etc. i have begun to notice one thing that really pisses me off. The system of getting runes totally sucks. I HATE! going out and killing mobs for apperantly no purpose at all. I don't care about money i jsut want to unlock the dang runes. I wouldn't mine doing an ungodly long quest. like an Everquest epic quest or somthing jsut not this completely random *** drops. you could grind for months and never get the superior rune you want. It's just annoying and somthing needs to be done this hole thing alone has made me almost want to quit becasue i feel like i am wasting time for nothing. It might be diffrent if i found grinding fun, but i don't i would rather be demonstrating my pvp skills all the time. But no i am stuck farming for runes i may never get. urgh it's annoying.

Who agrees with me?

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 14:20
I agree. They should also make it so you always salvage runes if you find them.

SonOfRah
02-06-2005, 15:15
with the latest changes, the market for unided runes has just gotten better (salvage an unided armor to *hopefully* get a unided rune from it).

This way, its easier to know what type of rune you are trading for (minor/major/sup) for unlocking.

The market was previously very small, but its slowly starting to kick off.

IBeJebus
02-06-2005, 15:58
I agree. They should also make it so you always salvage runes if you find them.

You still unlock it for pvp even if you dont manage to salvage it. Runes are supposed to be rare, if they were so common that you were guaranteed to find em, wheres the challenge? The whole game is based on chance, and the finding of runes falls into that. Personally, if i really want something enough, id better be willing to grind for it. It takes away from the game if it makes things guaranteed.

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 16:00
You still unlock it for pvp even if you dont manage to salvage it. Runes are supposed to be rare, if they were so common that you were guaranteed to find em, wheres the challenge? The whole game is based on chance, and the finding of runes falls into that. Personally, if i really want something enough, id better be willing to grind for it. It takes away from the game if it makes things guaranteed.

Everything comes down to killing stuff so you can kill stuff better.

ReZon
02-06-2005, 16:08
Why don't we just make the game incredibly easy and suck all the fun out of it? Where's my "I WIN" button??? :D

Seriously though, come on, you're just frustrated that lady luck isn't smiling in your favor. But don't complain about ruining the game for those of us that actually enjoy the challenge.

Galavorn
02-06-2005, 16:15
Why don't we just make the game incredibly easy and suck all the fun out of it? Where's my "I WIN" button??? :D

Seriously though, come on, you're just frustrated that lady luck isn't smiling in your favor. But don't complain about ruining the game for those of us that actually enjoy the challenge.

Everything comes down to killing stuff so you can kill stuff better. Why does it matter if it's hard or easy to do so?

IBeJebus
02-06-2005, 16:19
Everything comes down to killing stuff so you can kill stuff better. Why does it matter if it's hard or easy to do so?

Wheres the fun in killing things when all you do is just slaughter them? I have way more fun fighting monsters higher lvl than me and having a hell of a time beating them. If you want to be able to mindlessly slaughter and not have to strategize, i think WoW might be more your style. Guild Wars should be challenging, not a cake walk.

Malekai Kauhn
02-06-2005, 19:36
He doesn't want to fight higher lvl monsters, he wants to do PvP and be more effective at it. His method for this is to get a sup rune.

As far as challenge goes, Lornors pass is a challenge, the underworld, or FoW is a challenge, PvP is a challenge, but aimlessly grinding to find a rune is not a challenge. It's a tedious, repetitive, CHORE.

There is really no challenge in anything in which your actions have no real effect other than spinning the prize wheel to see if you've won, that's just dumb luck.

This game was supposed to do away with grind. It hasn't. period. I don't think you can get rid of grind in this kind of game without giving it all away. If that happend though, the game would suck.

The problem is that this issue is a double edged sword. your gonna get the blade either way you go with it.

maybe a rune trader is needed? that may help somewhat, but I'm sure someone has a hundred reason's why not to do this.

How about a mission or a collecter that will give you a sup rune? Of course it wouldn't be easy, but at least you'd know all your grinding would pay off.

The mission reward would only unlock the rune for PvP. You couldn't use it in PvE. That may be the way to go.

coupland
02-06-2005, 20:02
As far as challenge goes, Lornors pass is a challenge, the underworld, or FoW is a challenge, PvP is a challenge, but aimlessly grinding to find a rune is not a challenge. It's a tedious, repetitive, CHORE.
THEN HE NEEDS TO LEARN TO PLAY WITHOUT THE RUNE.

Seriously. Want rune? Grind. Don't wanna grind? No rune. I don't see how there is a problem with this scenario. *Wanting* something is not enough. There is a time investment required.

JGrimm
02-06-2005, 21:44
... and you know, i hate to say it - but Runes are /so/ not 'required wear'. They're little extras - a couple of points here, a nudge there .. and usually for a significant disadvantage to offset it.

I fail to see how not getting a specific rune would ever 'ruin' your PvP experience. *shrugs*

either go grind for it, buy it, or something... but they're not supposed to be common.

Grimm

Malekai Kauhn
02-06-2005, 21:51
THEN HE NEEDS TO LEARN TO PLAY WITHOUT THE RUNE.

Seriously. Want rune? Grind. Don't wanna grind? No rune. I don't see how there is a problem with this scenario. *Wanting* something is not enough. There is a time investment required.

Yep. That's about it. I don't disagree with you, cause that's the way it is.

I think the issue is that AN is trying merge two totally different type of gamers into one game and make everyone happy. I personally don't give a rat's #$% about PvP, but that's just me.

However, Putting myself into their shoes, I can see how they are not happy about having to gind in a game that promised them no grinding.

How would you feel if the situaion was different? What if you could only get elite skills or runes by some PvP method?

I don't know why AN hasn't come up with some sort of skill/rune reward system for the PvP part of the game.

coupland
02-06-2005, 23:19
I see your point Malekai, but to be honest I find playing PvE *and* PvP in GW to be a blast. In all other games I've been PvE only (carebear, that's me) but GW really got the balance right. Playing PvP is quick, fun, there's very little learning curve, and there is zero penalty if you try and fail. Hopefully nobody will make the mistake of only playing half of this game, because both of them are exceptional. IMVHO

huxley maximus
03-06-2005, 00:01
I get so sick of hearing about this. Its a superior rune, its supposed to be very rare. Major runes and minor runes are much easier to come buy. I just don't understand the argument about superior runes being rare. Whats the point of a game like this if it is easy for everyone to get the best of everything? Kinda takes the fun out of it. Anyway, they made runes easier to identify and you should get one soon enough. Extracting is a whole nother story though :(

Ok, superior runes give you this

9 more HP than a major vigor
1 less damage per physical hit than major absorption...

same goes for all of them. Heck, they give you -25 more health than a major rune for a very minor +1 bonus which is pretty darn negligable. You can argue to me that every little bit helps...which it does...but it really does not matter to the point that you need them if you have a good team.

You can get minor runes of whatever you want for basically free with no HP losses. Then you can buy a major vigor and absorption which will require maybe a day of farming and saving.

Also, they fixed the rune problem and any purple or gold will identify as a rune. You may not be able to extract but it will show up as a rune. Once they made this change I found a major hammer mastery and superior blood rune within an hour. Albeit extracting them made both of them turn into 17 tanned leather squares (dont even get me started on the odds of extracting a rune...maybe they should make superior extraction kits for 90% rune removal chance for a large price?).

Maybe I am wrong though...but in my opinion stuff should be hard to get...especially when its the best in the game.

huxley maximus
03-06-2005, 00:08
He doesn't want to fight higher lvl monsters, he wants to do PvP and be more effective at it. His method for this is to get a sup rune.

There is really no challenge in anything in which your actions have no real effect other than spinning the prize wheel to see if you've won, that's just dumb luck.

This game was supposed to do away with grind. It hasn't. period. I don't think you can get rid of grind in this kind of game without giving it all away. If that happend though, the game would suck.

The problem is that this issue is a double edged sword. your gonna get the blade either way you go with it.

maybe a rune trader is needed? that may help somewhat, but I'm sure someone has a hundred reason's why not to do this.

How about a mission or a collecter that will give you a sup rune? Of course it wouldn't be easy, but at least you'd know all your grinding would pay off.

The mission reward would only unlock the rune for PvP. You couldn't use it in PvE. That may be the way to go.
I am totally in agreement with your idea. A set of fairly difficult bonus missions that require good teamwork and reward players with an unlocked rune only useable in PvP. That sounds like a very good idea.

Mortungo
03-06-2005, 00:37
alright it seems I have offended some people by saying trying to get the rune is pissing me off. I simple hate having a non challeneging grinding. liek somone said earlier i would like a really insanly hard mission that took a few hours to do. that would be awsome. aslong as i had a direction or a the knowledge that i would get it for this amount of time investment and hardwork for the quest grinding is like "KILL THE GIANTS!" for 3 weeks 5 hours a day and you might get it. It's jsut frustrating, I loved Epic quests in other mmo's they were so hard but you were giving the gratification of getting the godly item! i lvoed that i was rewarded for my hardwork. grinding for random runes i dont feel like i am getting paid back for my time and effort and it annoys me.

Dinkytoy
04-06-2005, 20:17
I think a better solution to the issue of some players having earned an advantage, gold, runes, equipment, etc, and then sitting on that advantage and keeping newcomers from ever unseating them, is to have a system that requires upkeep of said items, or chances of losing them somehow.

There shouldn't be any way of getting an advantage, and then keeping it, without doing at least as much continous work as it took to get the advantage in the first place.

That way, anyone who works hard enough can eventully be on a level playing field, other than player skill.