PDA

View Full Version : Reversal of Fortune.... The best heal?

CancerTen
03-06-2005, 06:14
I think Reversal is the best spot-heal in the game. Lets compare:

Orison: Heal 60 points for 5, 2 second recharge.
-Great because: Short recharge makes it spammable, only 5 energy, can use on any ally (ie yourself).
-Sucks because: At later levels, 60 will hardly save a teammate. In fact, if two or three jade bows hit an ally just once, one orison is hardly gonna stop the pain or get that ally anywhere near full health.

Heal Other: Heal 151 points for 10, 3 second recharge.
-Great because: Better than casting Orison twice!
-Sucks because: Also costs twice the energy, and has an extra second recharge. Not really spammable. And the big one, you cant target yourself, so you will probably need to alot another skill for a self-heal.

Dwayna's: Heal other for 51, addition 17 for each enchant or hex for 5, 3 second recharge.
-Graeat because: Somewhere in between Orison and heal other, Dwayna's heals for more than both in some situations.
-Sucks because: The only situation where this is good is when there are lots of mesmer enemies, and lets face it, mesmer enemies are easy and wont task your healing abilities very heavily (breeze keepers....ya, those are real mission enders). Also, has the dreaded "other ally" curse, so you would need to bring something else to heal yourself with anyways.

Reversal of Fortune: Next time ally would take damage, damage is negated and they gain up to 67 instead for 5 and 2 second recharge.
-Great because: Triggers Divine healing for a small bonus first, then prevents the next damage dealt, giving healing over time. You can buff using it, because even at full health it isnt wasted like an orison or other heal would be. Against heavy hitting enemies it is the most cost effective heal in the game, negating a total 134 damage for 5. Also short recharge makes it spammable, and you can cast it on yourself.
-Sucks because: Many protection spells reduce the amount of damage an ally takes, effectively lowering the amount reversal will heal for. If an ally is being hit for small amounts of damage, the divine favor bonus is probably larger than the amount reversal will heal for (but lets be honest, if they are being hit for that small an amount, why not just cast breeze on them?).

Well, what do you guys think?

Cantos
03-06-2005, 13:25
I dunno, you're assuming ideal conditions. It would be pretty useless if someone was being hit for 10 damage by 10 enemies at once. You cant cast it ten times a second, and it's only "healing" for 20 anyway.

I dont know what you're on about with Dwayna's Kiss. It works on every enchantment or hex, so the W/Mo up front with breeze and mending already get 85 from it. Any time there is any sort of nec or mesmer about the healing on it is just awesome. Even with only one hex/enchant it's better than orison.

Two Orisons is better than one Heal Other because you get two Divine Favor bonuses, and you can cast them on two seperate allies. And wow, by the time you finally get Heal Other there are a lot of skills to chose from and it doesnt ever get on my skill bar.

And Word of Healing, assuming the target is below 50%, is still going to heal more than RoF.

AirGibson
03-06-2005, 16:52
Neither Dwanya's Kiss nor Word of Healing can be cast on yourself, though, which is pretty noteworthy for PvP since 75% of the time, that is what you end up doing.

Healing Touch, though it has a slower recharge, is extremely mana efficient for something to cast on yourself. The same is true with Signet of Devotion, of course. Neither are spammable, but if you work in two other spells to cycle through, you won't have to wait much, if at all, for them to be available again.

CancerTen
03-06-2005, 17:13
I dunno, you're assuming ideal conditions. It would be pretty useless if someone was being hit for 10 damage by 10 enemies at once. You cant cast it ten times a second, and it's only "healing" for 20 anyway.

I dont know what you're on about with Dwayna's Kiss. It works on every enchantment or hex, so the W/Mo up front with breeze and mending already get 85 from it. Any time there is any sort of nec or mesmer about the healing on it is just awesome. Even with only one hex/enchant it's better than orison.

Two Orisons is better than one Heal Other because you get two Divine Favor bonuses, and you can cast them on two seperate allies. And wow, by the time you finally get Heal Other there are a lot of skills to chose from and it doesnt ever get on my skill bar.

And Word of Healing, assuming the target is below 50%, is still going to heal more than RoF.

Thats true with dwayna's, but still the problem is you cant cast it on yourself, and like the above poster said in PvP thats what you want 75% of the time.
Two orisons is better than a heal other, ya, but ive never tried to make a case that heal other is any good, i think its the most overused heal out there.
Word of healing is great, but its also heal other, and you have to carry something on your skill bar to heal yourself besides breeze. So, we know 2 orisons is better than heal other, but is it better than 2 reversals? Any BTW, if 10 enemies are hitting a guy for 10 each, shielding hands and healing seed are probably better choices than any of these.

ares416
03-06-2005, 17:51
Why not use all of the above?

When I'm comfortably out of harm's way I like to use word of healing/healing seed for the huge healing/low cost. I look for conditions and hexes and use mend ailment/remove hex to get rid of them and add a little divine healing bonus.

If I'm the center target (a lot of the time!), I spam RoF, healing touch, orison and mend ailment/remove hex. This seems to keep me alive for a while - but honestly our guild is still getting organized and needs more practice so it is usually just a matter of time until I'm knocked down by something or something has taken all my energy! Its too bad I can't cast healing seed on myself...

But really, RoF can be used with all these other skills - it doesn't negate their effectiveness, its just another tool in your skillbar to keep people alive.

Off topic but do you guys think its worth keeping the mend ailments/remove hex or would I be better off trying to get healing breeze and shielding hands in there?

Thanks

btw, who's really worried about 10 damage? - I'm worried about those knockdown warriors with 100+ dmg and the air elles with similar dmg!

Cygnus Arnimane
03-06-2005, 18:26
The is one more trick about Reversal of Fortune. It counts as an enchantment while is it on a target before they are hit next. It also does not counter any Damage over time a target may be suffering from. I will say Reversal of Fortune works very well while you are maintaining Divine Boon.

ares416
03-06-2005, 18:31
I've found Divine Boon drains my energy a little too fast in PvP. I've heard its good for protection monks to add some healing with their protections but not so good for straight healing monks. Plus it takes up a valuable skill slot!

On the other hand healing with Divine Boon on is like a nuclear bomb of healing! Mega-healing, if you can manage the energy upkeep. Anyone have any success with this or tips?

Cygnus Arnimane
03-06-2005, 20:35
I've found Divine Boon drains my energy a little too fast in PvP. I've heard its good for protection monks to add some healing with their protections but not so good for straight healing monks. Plus it takes up a valuable skill slot!

On the other hand healing with Divine Boon on is like a nuclear bomb of healing! Mega-healing, if you can manage the energy upkeep. Anyone have any success with this or tips?

I am only suggesting if you really like Reversal of Fortune and you want to use it universally and have it be effective you should use it with Divine Boon. If you use Reversal of Fortune alone, its effectiveness is very situtational.

Corrodias
04-06-2005, 00:27
from what i understand about reversal of fortune, and from what i have observed in the middle of a battle while using it ony myself, if it reverses damage up to 50, for an example, and you get hit for 137 from an air ele... it only negates the first 50 of the damage and heals you for 50, so you end up coming out -37 behind, not +50 ahead. can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hunt3r_kill4
04-06-2005, 00:38
from what i understand about reversal of fortune, and from what i have observed in the middle of a battle while using it ony myself, if it reverses damage up to 50, for an example, and you get hit for 137 from an air ele... it only negates the first 50 of the damage and heals you for 50, so you end up coming out -37 behind, not +50 ahead. can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thats correct.