PDA

View Full Version : need help with Me/w

Illusio
03-06-2005, 11:49
i need help with my me/w.... i want to do as much dmg as possible, kinda like an assassin, pvp wise that is, need help from more of the expirenced ones, what skills ect, weapons... does sword skill matter with illu weapon, or does it always hit when u swing?

Feynt
03-06-2005, 12:06
All weapons hit unless the enemy moves out of position suddenly, you're blind, or some other skill prevents you from hitting (a plethora of dodging and blocking spells and skills too numerous to list, Blurred Vision which causes missing, and Ward Against Melee which is a 50% miss rate as well). To that end, you don't really NEED any weapon skills. It just makes life easier.

Distortion is your friend as a Me/W, with 4 Illusion magic you can dodge any attack with an optimal 2 energy per dodge (with a 75% chance of avoiding the blow. Nothing's perfect). In a mob you'll quickly run out, so using Channelling to drain energy from those around you helps blunt the energy loss.

Sword skills like Sever Artery and Gash, Galrath Slash, and Final Thrust are all gold for you. For axes we have Cyclone Axe, Dismember, Axe Twist, and Executioner Strike. Hammers, there's Hammer Blow, Belly Smash, Counter Blow, and Crushing Blow (all available fairly early). For an Me/W though, swords or axes would be ideal. Axes especially because there's an abundance of adrenal attack skills versus the abundance of energy skills for swords (though of the above, none are energy based).

Also of use for you is Illusion of Weakness, which is kind of like storing health for when you need it. When you cast it, the spell damages you. When your health goes below 25% you get that health you lost back. So effectively you can have a "Heal Other" from a monk ready to be cast on you whenever you're in danger of being hit into your danger zone.

And for the late game, the elite skill "Illusionary Weaponry" is very effective. It's armour piercing damage that can't (to my knowledge) be dodged or blocked, consistantly doing the spells listed damage (up to 34 damage at Illusion magic 12) per swing. It replaces your equipped weapon, but I'm told it has the same weapon class as your currently equipped weapon (so if you use IW with an axe, you can still use Cyclone Axe).

Warriors also have Bonetti's Defense on their side, a great blocking skill which allows you to block 75% of all attacks made on you. It's adrenal based, and whenever you block a melee skill this way you get 5 energy back.

Illusio
03-06-2005, 12:22
that bascially covered all of it.. lol thanks

Feynt
03-06-2005, 23:14
Don't forget the rogue's armour, you'll need that extra defense.

Also note that this build is stance and energy dependant. An ill timed Wild Blow can shatter your defenses at the worst possible moment, and too many enemies will utterly drain your energy reserves while using Distortion. Me/Ws are secondary tanks, meant for the periphery of combat rather than the thick of it. They ARE, however, one of the best tanks for the late game/underworld areas because of the excessive dodging for such a small price. An Me/W is a very easy tank to maintain for a healer.

Nobleman Azure
04-06-2005, 06:06
Id rather be wearing enchanters on my hands and feet or maybe legs if im going to use distortion. Sacrificing energy to be able to get 10 armor bonus against physical while relying on an energy-eating stance seems like a bad idea.

Tsume
04-06-2005, 06:07
I just feel a few things need to be clarified for both of you.

Though I do consider IW a good skill, there are several inaccuracies in the perceptions held about it here.

First of all, Illusionary Weaponry doesnt have any Armor Penetrating ability to it. The closest phrase in terms of armor would be 'ignores targets armor'. But you actually dont do any damage in terms of weapons, at all. Its more like a spell that triggers Chaos damage, only the trigger is your attack. Each time you swing you trigger the damage. And becuase the trigger is at the attack itself, the begining of the attack equation, the dodges and evasions are irrelevant. At least this has been the assumed case in the past (It has been a while since I've made a full fledged IW build).

Also it doesnt really replace your weapon. For instance if you were useing a cane, or a staff, or a bow, IW would not replace or enchant those weapons. Its just simply a skill that needs a mellee weapon to trigger it, making Warrior one of the primary combinations with a mesmer for an IW build, though Rangers are not uncommon. And yes you can use certain attack skills in conjunction with IW, infact you could use any that go off of energy...but most of them would be a waste. It only works on the attack itself, not with the skill. So its important to note that any damage bonuses from any skills you use, will not be recieved by the target. Your axe/sword never connects with the target...after all it is an Illusion....an Illusionary Weapon. This means that adrenal skills are out of the question for someone planning to use IW as their main attack skill.

The most useful Warrior skills as far as attack is concerned, would be speed buffs, which would allow you to trigger more damage. Look for stacnes or enchantments that help you out against mellee opponents, after all you dont have the heavy armor to stand up to their attacks.

One last tip I will give is, dont use hammers. And use an off hand energy item with +armor or + health or both with a (while enchanted) mod if you can. Use a sword with an 'enchantments last % longer' mod and either extra armor or health on it as well.

Now if you want to just be a mellee Mesmer look for evasion skills and those that give enemies a chance to miss that you can spread before they reach you. Never run into them, let them come to you and cast as many of your hex spells you can, use all your energy. Carry 3 to 4 adrenaline based attack skills and when your enemies reach you use them and any stances you have constantly, pausing only to self heal.