PDA

View Full Version : Any Mesmer/Monks?

Corvis
03-06-2005, 17:01
I was wondering if anyone has tried this combo cause i think i will make my 4th character Me/Mo and would like to know if its an effective combo.

MoUsE_WiZ
03-06-2005, 17:11
It worked fine for my first character...cutting res cast times in half is spiffy.

Mirali Sanova
03-06-2005, 17:17
I was wondering if anyone has tried this combo cause i think i will make my 4th character Me/Mo and would like to know if its an effective combo.

My main char is a Me/Mo, and I enjoy playing her quite a bit. I alternate whether I'm more heavily Mesmer or Monk depending on the situation and what's needed for a mission (backup healer (sometimes primary healer!) vs. anti-caster).

Saikyo
03-06-2005, 18:49
I use a mesmer/monk as one of my characters and I have to say it's one of my favorite combinations. I started going healing in the beginning for monk skills since I wanted to try and take some pressure off of the monk (or Alesia in some cases). Though later on in the game I found it effective to switch to smiting. Balthazar's Aura is a GOOD spell. Then when you get echo it just becomes downright evil. (And with the 25 energy cost on it, you REALLY want echo instead of arcane echo.)

It really depends on how you want to use it. At the moment I only use a few monk skills, but in general I find fast casting resing to be very effective. Most of the healing spells aren't going to be as effective unless you are monk primary though since you don't have divine favor and most of them cast pretty fast to begin with. They are useful in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend "monking it out" during too many missions. A protection based Me/Mo seems like it wouldn't be too bad, but I do loves the smiting...

WingspanTT
03-06-2005, 19:09
My main character is also Me/Mo. She is fun but I don't have a lot of focus right now. Most of the time I go for the snipe.. Watrel's Worry, Smite, Banish, Chaos Storm, Bane Singet, Energy Drain (the elite one, forgot name). I choose a target then wail on it till it dies, rinse and repeat. No armor penalty, and increased dmg vs undead helps. I also carry Transfer Life (my 5 extra attibute pts are in healing). A lot of times in PvE you are nto taking fire but your tank (or an important NPC) is getting owned. Giving him 275 life usually helps, followed by focus fire on his enemies. Lastly I carry Vengeance. Yeah its not permanent, but it is EFFECTIVE, and I figure if the group has nobody who can permanently raise someone anyway, we're all screwed.

Lebeau
03-06-2005, 21:18
I have one.

Divine Favor benefits the already fast casting monk skills far more than FC every could. Monk Runes are also a plus.

The only advantage I see my Me/Mo having over my Mo/* is that Mesmers look completely and utterly sexy (which was why I initially made the Me/Mo).

Of course, these are my feelings on a Mesmer designed for healing, I'd imagine they make VERY good smiters though.

Lookma Nohans
04-06-2005, 00:55
I play a Me/Mo, and agree that the smiting line is the way to go. I'm only lev 10 now, but am looking forward to Scourge Healing.

...and the healers thought Backfire was bad!

Only problem I can foresee with the mezzie/smitey build is attribute point distribution. You want *some* in FC, but also need to drive Smiting Prayers, Dom/Ill, and Inspiration. Something has to give, and I'm not sure what yet. Inspiration is the obvious choice to sacrifice (b/c Dom/Ill both have nice synergy with the smiting role, especially Dom), but I think that leads to energy probs.

More advanced chars have advice on this?

Feynt
04-06-2005, 03:11
I could see Reveral of Fortune + Zealot's Fire spamming being crazy for a Me/Mo. I agree that Divine Favour makes the (primary) healer, but as a secondary Me/Mo's with Fast Cast can fill in the gaps that a Mo/* could miss.

I would actually ditch Illusion in favour of Inspiration, though you do miss out on Soothing Images and Conjure Phantasm, not to mention Distortion and Illusion of Weakness (possibly the greatest self heal).

Gwyndion
04-06-2005, 13:00
Personally I dont like illusion of weakness, I can't imagine it being really good, I know i'm a dom mesmer, but since smiting would make us even better anti casters...

Legally Dead
07-06-2005, 12:22
During the BWE's I had a chance to try different character builds and the one that I hit upon and really liked was the Me/Mo. The first time building was as an illusionist and healer. Nice too because tanks would always go for the Mo/** leaving me to heal. If provoked I would cast imagined burden and distortion to move away from attacker. The next BWE tried something different, and is something that I still use, that is illusion, domination, smite. Wow now that to me is a fun build. Attacking rather than watching other peopleís health, beautiful. Both useful against tanks and monks, hence most tanks are W/Mo. Can kill them but difficult to do if the player knows how to handle their char. Liked that build so much, start Dee(she's in aviator) from scratch. Just recently brought her back as I miss PvP and was having fun with my primary character, not really a PvP but have tried. People are now getting to know what Mez can do, and after playing at Shiverspeak, have to be more defensive now as rangers and nicros will start attacking mesmers first rather than the monk. A fun build for PvP and donít forget to carry at least one energy leach for that valuable mana, you do go through allot.

boxterduke
07-06-2005, 17:14
My main is mes/monk and she kicks *** as long as she is far away and well protected.

I use inspiration and illusion plus healing. When the battle is heavy I tend to heal the group and using tap energy and another skill to get mana back to heal again.
I res all and I just got rebirth. Sucks that it drains the rest of your energy but it is effective in pulling the fallen group members to your location.

That is what I played at the E3 2004 beta and what I'm playing now. I have a couple more characters but they are still pre-sear since I wanna see the end of the game.

Kyanilis
07-06-2005, 17:19
I'm a Me/Mo but I tend to use mostly mesmer skills; most of the time I make sure to carry resurrect around with me, though.